To me, Brian Stann was not likable.

MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,385Free
Well, I was in the Army. I can't say I dug the concept of rank-structure. A lot of people who had even a single rank above other soldiers, almost always because of merely time in uniform and not necessarily merit or potential, were jerks. In the real world, if someone is your boss, well...they're you're boss and you sorta' have to do what they tell you while you're at work. On occasion, we may find ourselves in employment situations where we have more than one boss (and that always sucks,) but at least we don't have to deal with that shiznit when we leave the office or jobsite or restaurant or grocery store or whatever.

Marines were especially insane. I shared a base with them early in my career at Fort Sill.

So, this dude was a Marine. He had been out of uniform for a few years and when recalling his past, he still referred to the enlisted men as "my soldiers." Jesus Christ! At what point does a man get clearance to get from under this heels thumb! No, the jerkoff attitude was excessively prevalent to someone who has been in uniform before; someone like myself. If you've never served and buy into this, or if you have served and haven't accomplished a great deal as a civilian, you probably are going to take umbrage to what I say, but trust me; this dude was a tool.
Member of the People's Freedom Movement

Tagged:

Comments

• MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,385Free

They were his soldiers, so why wouldn't he refer to them as that? I found him shoving the whole marine things down our throat really annoying but he does seem like a good guy.

Trust me, if you were in his unit, you probably wouldn't be telling your wife about how good of a guy he was.

• Dark_HorseDark_Horse Posts: 2,035Free
    Did he butt rape guys below him?
    Happy in his folly, the fool embraces the Devil.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,820Free

Did he butt rape guys below him?

He raped a female soldier, but that's legal in America's armed forces.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,385Free
    PATSTER said:

GOD DAMN YOU'RE SELF CENTERED

How do you arrive at the conclusion that I'm self-centered, from reading this thread?

• AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,068Free
    edited July 2013
    Megasoup said:

They were his soldiers, so why wouldn't he refer to them as that? I found him shoving the whole marine things down our throat really annoying but he does seem like a good guy.

Trust me, if you were in his unit, you probably wouldn't be telling your wife about how good of a guy he was.

Why? My chain of command is really cool. I think you just had a bad experience, bro. Did you get discharged?

As for his shoving the marine thing down our throats, in this business fighters have to find a way to market themselves. Everyone knows that military personnel make up a very big portion of the UFC's viewership, so I'm sure he wanted to exploit that. You just have to. There are people who've fought for their entire lives, but because nobody cared who they are, they won't be able to retire like they should be able to. It's really sad.
    Post edited by Ameriman on
    Boston threw me a god damn beating. DOOMGOAT REIGNS SUPREME
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    I have never been a fan but that's not cuz of his service

It's cuz he never addressed his issue of a ground game and wrestling...I have issues with many fighters like that
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • Wanderlei_RuaWanderlei_Rua Posts: 947Free
    He refers to people as "his soldiers" because they were in his charge. It's out of his responsibility to them as a commanding officer, not possessiveness. If someone in his position doesn't have that sense of commitment to those that serve under him then something is wrong.
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    I could be biased, Im a Navy Corpsman respectfully

I've never seen where he came off as anything but pretty darn classy

He did lead in operation matador, maybe why he says, "My" Marine? Not sure..
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
    Keen, where are you stationed?
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Seems like a nice guy, even he was getting uncomfortable towards the end with how the ufc were shoving this American war hero angle down everyone.

I think people in general judge the ufc fighters too much...I kinda just like watching them fight, and don't take it too serious...they're just a bunch of strangers that don't even know who I am. I like watching them fight, and their personalities are not going to effect my life
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    Ameriman said:

Keen, where are you stationed?

Im in Raleigh on reserve side now

Trying to finish school and get it out the way
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,938Free
    edited July 2013
    He always seemed like a nice, respectable guy to me too. The UFC's marketing team were the ones constantly pushing the Marine angle. He just wanted to fight and earn a check. He's not my favorite fighter but was always exciting and I hope that he does well at his new job.

You can't judge him and his experience in the military by your experience. He might have been a great leader and well liked by the soldiers beneath him. Obviously you had a problem with authority going in which isn't going to go well in the military.
    Post edited by juice64011 on
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,210Free
    Brian Stann is a good dude.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    if you're in the armed forces, thats cool. But it was your choice. IDGAF. I'm not going to treat you like you're some kind of hero because a corrupt politician sent you to fight an illegal war
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,022Free
    The UFC were pushing his marine image, he could do nothing about it. But it's a fact he WAS a marine, and you can't delete that. Just as you can't omit the fact the GSP is Canadian or Maia is a BJJ champ.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,820Free
    GSP is a Mountie.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,791Free
    expect kennedy to get pushed by the ufc next to replace stann as their armed forces rolemodel
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

jduk said:

if you're in the armed forces, thats cool. But it was your choice. IDGAF. I'm not going to treat you like you're some kind of hero because a corrupt politician sent you to fight an illegal war

No war we're currently part of is illegal.
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    Ameriman said:

jduk said:

No war we're currently part of is illegal.
    open your eyes please
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Sisti said:

kinda interesting cuz everyone just likes to say he was a nice guy

I think people in general judge the ufc fighters too much...I kinda just like watching them fight, and don't take it too serious...they're just a bunch of strangers that don't even know who I am. I like watching them fight, and their personalities are not going to effect my life

fighters personality do go a long way with how most people want someone to do or should i say it plays a part in it.

The UFC were pushing his marine image, he could do nothing about it. But it's a fact he WAS a marine, and you can't delete that. Just as you can't omit the fact the GSP is Canadian or Maia is a BJJ champ.

He IS a marine.

It's only past tense when you're dead.
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free

najma said:

He IS a marine.

It's only past tense when you're dead.
    I left the military so i am now a civilian and wouldnt want people addressing me by my former self. I dont get this you are a marine until you die thing, you stop being that the day you retire from service

and Brian comes across as a nice enough guy, just the UFC and media went to crazy with the military angle