Anderson: "I lost focus and now I will get better"

Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,766Free
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/07/ufc-168s-anderson-silva-i-was-so-out-of-myself-i-didnt-think-about-rematch

When Anderson Silva lost his title to Chris Weidman at UFC 162 earlier this month, he initally said he didn't want a rematch. UFC president Dana White said with confidence there would would be one, and a week later the rematch was scheduled for the massive New Years show, UFC 168, or Dec. 28.

In an interview with the Brazilian radio show "Mundo da Luta" Silva explained the change of heart.

"I was so sad with myself, with my lack of control on the moment, that I said some words that weren't nice," said Silva. "I said that I wouldn't fight for the title. But after I signed the contract (earlier in the year), Dana told me that he would give [me a rematch if I had lost the belt]. I was so out of myself that I didn't think about it."

"I lost my focus and made a technical mistake. It was one of the things that I left – the philosophy of the martial art –and it cost me the belt. I always fought with this felling of keeping the martial art philosophy and keeping the control of the situation – trying to be as calm as possible for me to keep the balance of the octagon, which is very hard to do."

Silva's fans and detractors alike generally had harsh words after the loss, attributing it to showboating that went too far. Silva said he understands.

"The criticism is valid, but I'm human," he said. "I made a technical mistake, and it was good for me and for the people around me to learn. I had to be able to know that focus is always needed. I lost focus, and now I will get better."
Tagged:

Comments

• Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,766Free
    You can't say that was an excuse. It was an explication of why he did what he did. He looked bored in the cage, not focused on fighting but focused on amusing himself and the crowd. Just wait till December 28. When a deadly force meets a moveable object, destruction tends to follow.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,618Free
    I'm a Silva Supporter, but I'm sick of all the talk
    ****ing do it or GTFO!
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    I just giggled.........sure Silva......sure. 8-|
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,618Free
    edited July 2013

****ing do it or GTFO!

he's also sick of it. too bad that's a part of his job

it's not like he's calling press conferences to give excuses
    Yeah, actually you're right he has to do it... i just can't wait for the rematch i guess!!!
    Post edited by _Finish_Him_ on
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free

****ing do it or GTFO!

The last thing I want to here from a champion is "I lost focus" there is no excuse for that

I felt that way bout JDS aswell...I have played a sport and have coaches a sport all my life and while I never made it to as high a level as them it's damn annoying to here a champ "lost focus" your a **** champ...you don't let **** like that happen

Maybe he was lieing to cover up why he lost...but if its true then he should have lost really

Maybe he will be better cuz of it...I'm sure it would make him a better team mate aswell cuz he has a **** ton if experience to give to others on what to do and not to do as a champ
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • 12er12er StocktonPosts: 11,059Free
    Anderson thinks he's going to win the rematch? Alert the media. It must be true.

:-/
    If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, then turn to them the other cheek, then keep turning until you deliver a roundhouse kick to his jaw. - Matthew 5:39

GOATer
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,620Free
    I love all these people who say Anderson is going to come back and be the best he's ever been as a 38 year old who just suffered a KTFO loss.

It just doesn't make sense...

!!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free

I love all these people who say Anderson is going to come back and be the best he's ever been as a 38 year old who just suffered a KTFO loss.

To be fair, he is the general consensus and IMO the GOAT and that is no a bad assumption. It was only his first KTFO loss ever, look at GSP he came back (arguably) better to the point where he hadn't lost a round.

He will come back and make it a more competitive fight I'm sure. As for who wins, that's a tossup.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free

Is it outside the realm of possibility ...randy was winning titles against bigger guys at that age...he lost to Valentija Overeem and would come back way way better and would beat the likes of Chuck,Tito,Vitor...and Weidman is not even close to the level of fighters those guys were in thier prime (yet)

To say it can't happen is foolish (not saying you are)...while I don't think Silva will be better myself I'm still able to acknowledge that Randy can so can the GOAT A.Silva
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,848Free
    Sure, Anderson can comeback and be a great fighter again. I think he has a good chance to win the rematch. However, I don't agree with the way he brushes off his loss as a "loss of focus". That was one of the most pitiful, stupid, idiotic things I've ever seen in the history of sports, not just fighting.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • Shark_EtiquetteShark_Etiquette Posts: 774Free
    Can't wait to see what strategy he brings in the rematch.
    -----------------////----------------////----------------////----------------////---------------////--------------
    Fedor Emelianenko - Nick Diaz - Frankie Edgar
    - S A F F I E D I N E - S Q U A D -
    FroZeN said:

To be fair, he is the general consensus and IMO the GOAT and that is no a bad assumption. It was only his first KTFO loss ever, look at GSP he came back (arguably) better to the point where he hadn't lost a round.

He will come back and make it a more competitive fight I'm sure. As for who wins, that's a tossup.
    Well gsp has come back and "won" all his fights since then, but then again he's a scared point fighter now. Serra took the fight out of him and Silva could.d hardly replicate gsp's blanket style. Just saying.
    If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, then turn to them the other cheek, then keep turning until you deliver a roundhouse kick to his jaw. - Matthew 5:39

GOATer
    12er said:

FroZeN said:

Well gsp has come back and "won" all his fights since then, but then again he's a scared point fighter now. Serra took the fight out of him and Silva could.d hardly replicate gsp's blanket style. Just saying.
    But where GSP worked on his wrasslin Silva could work on gee, idk, keeping his hands up and not moving around like wobbled clown? A focused Silva is a dangerous Silva. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he will come back better. He could also come back worse too...Anything is possible and this fight proved it.
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,962Free
    Agreed Frozen and lol at Brute saying that he should never lose focus. He has millions of dollars, women if wanted, fame, and anything else you could want. Plus he was on a ridiculous streak where no one was really close to beating him. Seems pretty easy to lose focus. There are thousands of potential pro athletes that let their ego get in the way of their careers every year. When you have everything that you want or need it would be tough to sweat it out in a gym for 8-10 weeks.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

Agreed Frozen and lol at Brute saying that he should never lose focus. He has millions of dollars, women if wanted, fame, and anything else you could want. Plus he was on a ridiculous streak where no one was really close to beating him. Seems pretty easy to lose focus. There are thousands of potential pro athletes that let their ego get in the way of their careers every year. When you have everything that you want or need it would be tough to sweat it out in a gym for 8-10 weeks.

When in a competitive sport, one must never lose focus.
    Being competitive means you want to see who's better.
    I hate losing in basketball because I'm competitive.
    Now that I'm doing MT I use my competitive drive to try to be sharp and keep up or outshine some of my bigger, and more experienced training partner @ the gym.
    Fighting may be a sport but its still fighting.
    Not being competitive, motivated & respectful comes with outcomes like with what happen to silva.
    -----------------////----------------////----------------////----------------////---------------////--------------
  • YerboYerbo Posts: 2,515Free
    Lost focus my a$$. If that's the case then he hasn't had much focus for years because he's been pulling the same crap more or less every fight since Leites.
    FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

But where GSP worked on his wrasslin Silva could work on gee, idk, keeping his hands up and not moving around like wobbled clown? A focused Silva is a dangerous Silva. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he will come back better. He could also come back worse too...Anything is possible and this fight proved it.
    Keeping his hands up will make his take down defense worse. As far as the clowning, Ive rewatched the fight a lot and he was eating shots before that. After the get up in the first, Silva tries his back to the cage defense and eats a hard left hook and he moves off the cage and starts clowning.

The clowning was more of a reaction to him getting hit over and over again than a cause off.

Silvas slowing down. His entire style relies on his hands down to block takedowns and lightening fast reflexes to avoid power shots. He's not going to come back faster. Not too mention his particular style required a lot of self confidence to pull off, even a little bit of self doubt will unravel it as we saw in their first fight.

GOATer
    Yerbo said:

Lost focus my a$$. If that's the case then he hasn't had much focus for years because he's been pulling the same crap more or less every fight since Leites.

Wrong. Chael. Vitor. Okami. They all disagree with you.
    12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

Keeping his hands up will make his take down defense worse. As far as the clowning, Ive rewatched the fight a lot and he was eating shots before that. After the get up in the first, Silva tries his back to the cage defense and eats a hard left hook and he moves off the cage and starts clowning.

The clowning was more of a reaction to him getting hit over and over again than a cause off.

Silvas slowing down. His entire style relies on his hands down to block takedowns and lightening fast reflexes to avoid power shots. He's not going to come back faster. Not too mention his particular style required a lot of self confidence to pull off, even a little bit of self doubt will unravel it as we saw in their first fight.
    Agreed x1000
    12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

I will agree with you there, he was definitely getting hit more than he is used to. He is definitely slowing down at 38 years old. Even in the Bonnar fight he was getting hit a lot. The thing is though, it's not entirely impossible for him to still improve. Not saying that he will, not saying that he won't.

Even then though, the speed difference between these two is pretty noticeable. It's going to be a lot harder for Silva to beat Weidman now that he has had a tuneup fight, but it's possible, anything is.
    12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

He said he's been knocked out in the gym before, I doubt this will do anything to his confidence. Hell he's had 3 legitimate losses and he only came back stronger.

His intention was clowning before he even stepped in the cage. He let Weidman tee off on him and payed for it.

Watch, he'll approach the fight like he did Hendo and Franklin. Hands up, role with the punches, and counter counter counter.
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,962Free

When in a competitive sport, one must never lose focus.
    Being competitive means you want to see who's better.
    I hate losing in basketball because I'm competitive.
    Now that I'm doing MT I use my competitive drive to try to be sharp and keep up or outshine some of my bigger, and more experienced training partner @ the gym.
    Fighting may be a sport but its still fighting.
    Not being competitive, motivated & respectful comes with outcomes like with what happen to silva.
    Still pro athletes lose focus all of the time and yes most of the time it leads to their downfall but after dedicating over half of their lives to training and fighting it would be easy to lose focus and get sick of being in the gym. What these guys are doing is completely different than someone who takes up a sport as a hobby or for a few amateur/pro fights.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

I will agree with you there, he was definitely getting hit more than he is used to. He is definitely slowing down at 38 years old. Even in the Bonnar fight he was getting hit a lot. The thing is though, it's not entirely impossible for him to still improve. Not saying that he will, not saying that he won't.

Even then though, the speed difference between these two is pretty noticeable. It's going to be a lot harder for Silva to beat Weidman now that he has had a tuneup fight, but it's possible, anything is.
    Nothing in life is guaranteed. Anderson can definitely still come back and win. I'm just trying to inject some logic into his fans that think this was a fluke. You are certainly not one of them and we seem to agree on a lot of this.
    Cole1186 said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

He said he's been knocked out in the gym before, I doubt this will do anything to his confidence. Hell he's had 3 legitimate losses and he only came back stronger.

His intention was clowning before he even stepped in the cage. He let Weidman tee off on him and payed for it.

Watch, he'll approach the fight like he did Hendo and Franklin. Hands up, role with the punches, and counter counter counter.
    I don't see this second fight staying on the feet for very long. Weidmans wrassing looked extremely rusty this fight, his shot in the second was pitifully telegraphed. He seems to be training with the tri star guys a lot more so that will help. Also, he was coming off a surgery and 11 month lay off, he should be looking way sharper December.

GOATer
    12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

Nothing in life is guaranteed. Anderson can definitely still come back and win. I'm just trying to inject some logic into his fans that think this was a fluke. You are certainly not one of them and we seem to agree on a lot of this.
    Cole1186 said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

I don't see this second fight staying on the feet for very long. Weidmans wrassing looked extremely rusty this fight, his shot in the second was pitifully telegraphed. He seems to be training with the tri star guys a lot more so that will help. Also, he was coming off a surgery and 11 month lay off, he should be looking way sharper December.

Yea I do agree that undoubtedly this will be a better Weidman. But a focused and composed Silva is not someone to take lightly. I think Weidman will want to prove that he can hang with Anderson in the stand up. If it does go to the ground I don't think it will stay there. I see one or two takedowns, then the rest a stand up battle. I still think Anderson should put Weidman on his back in the 1st round, just to throw his game off a tiny bit.

I give credit to Chris, he is very talented and I know he will have a long and prosperous career. I just can't see him staying champ at MW until Anderson retires. I feel really strongly that Anderson will avenge this loss with a finality we have seen from him time and time again.
    Cole1186 said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

Cole1186 said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

12er said:

FroZeN said:

Yea I do agree that undoubtedly this will be a better Weidman. But a focused and composed Silva is not someone to take lightly. I think Weidman will want to prove that he can hang with Anderson in the stand up. If it does go to the ground I don't think it will stay there. I see one or two takedowns, then the rest a stand up battle. I still think Anderson should put Weidman on his back in the 1st round, just to throw his game off a tiny bit.

I give credit to Chris, he is very talented and I know he will have a long and prosperous career. I just can't see him staying champ at MW until Anderson retires. I feel really strongly that Anderson will avenge this loss with a finality we have seen from him time and time again.
    Definitely not going to be any finality if anderson wins. There will be an epic rubber match and this forum will be rustling all day every day like going into Silva vs sonnen 2.

I don't think Chris is stupid enough to try to stand with anderson. His stand up is better than he gets credit for, but i don't think he is stupid enough to play into Anderson strengths if he doesn't have to.

GOATer
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,620Free
    GSP was entering the prime of his career when he got rocked by Serra and he had the belt for what, one fight?

Its completely different with a 38 year old man who's had the belt for years and years and years. He's not capable of putting in the kind of hard training camp that GSP probably did after he lost.

People are delusional if they think Anderson is going to magically rise from the ashes and become bettwr than ever.

I really don't think he even wants this fight. He is forced to defend his honor and is still under contract.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

GSP was entering the prime of his career when he got rocked by Serra and he had the belt for what, one fight?

Its completely different with a 38 year old man who's had the belt for years and years and years. He's not capable of putting in the kind of hard training camp that GSP probably did after he lost.

People are delusional if they think Anderson is going to magically rise from the ashes and become bettwr than ever.

I really don't think he even wants this fight. He is forced to defend his honor and is still under contract.

Good point. His desire to fight him again is suspect.

He is under enormous pressure from the ufc, his camp, his family and the entire country of Brazil to take the fight and redeem himself. That video where he announced he's back looked forced.

GOATer