All Smiles Here

NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,036Free
Sonnen beat Shogun and i couldnt be happier about it lol, just thought i'd share that.

Comments

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,783Ultimate
    So you couldn't post "I'm happy Chael won" in one of the many Shogun vs Chael threads?
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
    PATSTER said:

Nobody should be happy Shogun lost. He's one of the last true warriors left in the sport.

I was more pissed we didnt get to see any of the Freddie Roach boxing
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,036Free
    i'm just really glad Sonnen won lol
  • 12er12er StocktonPosts: 11,060Free
    edited August 2013
    It was kind of sad to see how badly shogun took the loss after he tapped. I'm glad sonnen won, everyone is always trying to say he's a joke and he just finished shogun. Hopefully now he gets the hespect he deserves. Wanderlei at 185 and one more run for that belt before he retires.
    Post edited by 12er on
    If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, then turn to them the other cheek, then keep turning until you deliver a roundhouse kick to his jaw. - Matthew 5:39

GOATer
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,073Free
    PATSTER said:

Nobody should be happy Shogun lost. He's one of the last true warriors left in the sport.

He's no Chael Sonnen
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,089Premium
    sonnen got lucky... he is human, and he somehow defeated a god.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

lulz that looked more like a calculated mauling than luck
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,890Free
    I missed the main event-

I thought I was tripping when I read the play by play
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
    PATSTER said:

Was the part where Shogun put him on his back a part of his calculated mauling?
    Trying to wrestle with a wrestler DID work so well for Shogun...
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

PATSTER said:

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

It worked for Jones. It was worth a try, I guess.
    Except Jones is the best wrestler at 205 by miles

• najmanajma Posts: 2,072Free
    Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

You meant Jones is a HW sized LHW, to big to grapple with him.

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

yeah you have to hespect Jones a lot more after this fight, he made Chael's takedowns look like nothing
    PATSTER said:

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

There also isn't really a choice when Chael is constantly diving for your legs every second of the fight.
    Silva seemed to figure it out.
    najma said:

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

You meant Jones is a HW sized LHW, to big to grapple with him.

Oh god just shut up

• AcedaddyAcedaddy Posts: 561Free
    Jbrahams said:

PATSTER said:

Instead of the Freddie Roach Boxing, he should've been practicing defensive wrestling the whole time. Shogun is stupid in my book. He would've taken Sonnen in striking BEFORE the Freddie Roach lessons. But instead of working on wrestling defense & getting back to his feet, he works on striking to prepare for an ELITE wrestler????
    Even the best have their time to fall.
    Acedaddy said:

Jbrahams said:

PATSTER said:

Instead of the Freddie Roach Boxing, he should've been practicing defensive wrestling the whole time. Shogun is stupid in my book. He would've taken Sonnen in striking BEFORE the Freddie Roach lessons. But instead of working on wrestling defense & getting back to his feet, he works on striking to prepare for an ELITE wrestler????
    Yup. I said the same thing when I heard anderson is training muay Thai in Thailand to prepare for weidman. Weidmans camp even said they have no intention of standing with him again. Weidman should take s trip to reign and sharpen up his double legs with Munoz and sonnen.
    If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, then turn to them the other cheek, then keep turning until you deliver a roundhouse kick to his jaw. - Matthew 5:39

GOATer
    12er said:

Acedaddy said:

Jbrahams said:

PATSTER said:

Yup. I said the same thing when I heard anderson is training muay Thai in Thailand to prepare for weidman. Weidmans camp even said they have no intention of standing with him again. Weidman should take s trip to reign and sharpen up his double legs with Munoz and sonnen.
    Anderson doesn't really need to improve anything to win the rematch besides toning down the taunting just a little. Even if it's simply to be able to use his head movement properly instead of swaying from a wobbly taunt position.
    ^ I agree.

12er said:

Acedaddy said:

Jbrahams said:

PATSTER said:

Anderson doesn't really need to improve anything to win the rematch besides toning down the taunting just a little. Even if it's simply to be able to use his head movement properly instead of swaying from a wobbly taunt position.
    Weidman was still able to take him down and punish him for a round

lulz Weidman has KO power and great wrestling, in the rematch hes gonna be confident and take it to Anderson even more. GNP. Weidman likely still wins in the rematch.

12er said:

Acedaddy said:

Jbrahams said:

PATSTER said:

If he fights with his hands up he's going to be easier to take down. Not to mention, a ko loss like that takes its toll. We don't know what kind of anderson will step into the cage...will he be more tentative while striking, will his chin be weakened. Will he have the confidence that was needed to fight the way that made him great?

Anderson could win, but I'm more confident in weidman going into the rematch than I was their first fight.

GOATer
  • Wolf1989Wolf1989 Posts: 326Free
    I'm a Shogun fan but Sonnen did work. I respect that but if Rua would of focused on working on submissions from the bottom more and work on his boxing less this fight might have been different. Whats the point in training boxing when the guy your fighting is a way better wrestler then you and your TDD isn't good enough to stop him and your already a better striker then him to begin with. fights are won in the gym
    JDS, Fedor, DC, Overeem, Swanson, Ferreira, E.Silva, Weidman, Sonnen, W.Silva, Belfort, J.Miller, Rothwell, Mitrione, Poirier, Barao, Gustafsson, Shogun, Munoz , Boetch, Maia, Jacare, Condit, Kampmann,Hendricks, Teixeria, Grant, Bendo, Cerrone, Pettis, Penn, Sanchez
    ^most logical Rua fan i've talked to yet lol. Its not that i hate Shogun, i like him. I just love Sonnen lulz.
    it comes with maturity and intelligence i could act butt hurt but the truth is he trained wrong and lost for it now Reem on the other hand was a complete repeat of his last fight with big foot. I'm a fan don't get me wrong but i hope he gets cut
    JDS, Fedor, DC, Overeem, Swanson, Ferreira, E.Silva, Weidman, Sonnen, W.Silva, Belfort, J.Miller, Rothwell, Mitrione, Poirier, Barao, Gustafsson, Shogun, Munoz , Boetch, Maia, Jacare, Condit, Kampmann,Hendricks, Teixeria, Grant, Bendo, Cerrone, Pettis, Penn, Sanchez
    Mangasm said:

12er said:

Acedaddy said:

Jbrahams said:

PATSTER said:

Weidman was still able to take him down and punish him for a round
    TBH I think Anderson underestimated Weidman's ground game just a little bit. Anderson tried to pull a chael/silva 2 breeze guard as part of his taunting but Chris is better then that. Anderson likes to be on the bottom to show that this is the position his opponents are most likely to win from, and here they are yet they can't do anything with it. Chris was able to do something with it and Anderson took the hint.

Anderson should have more respect for Weidman's skills in the rematch. (I hope) Although I do remember the stats showed Weidman won the grappling and the striking all the way up to the knockout. Way too much goofing around on Anderson's part.
    ^ I agree.

• najmanajma Posts: 2,072Free
    We're now 20 years into the evolution of MMA and the Brazilians still don't get it.
    Weidman stayed calm and didn't play Andersons game i think this time around he wont try for leg locks but stick to GnP . leg locks are difficult to get and your opponent almost always gets back to his feet If Weidman stick to a GnP game plan i think he can use it to set up Submissions on Anderson
  • BanutuBanutu Posts: 619Free
    I almost cried of happiness when Chael won !
    Wolf1989 said:

Weidman stayed calm and didn't play Andersons game i think this time around he wont try for leg locks but stick to GnP . leg locks are difficult to get and your opponent almost always gets back to his feet If Weidman stick to a GnP game plan i think he can use it to set up Submissions on Anderson

Weidman looked like he mentally broke at the end of rd1, he was frozen standing in front of Anderson. His corner did a good job of clearing his head and getting him motivated to fight however I do think he played into Anderson's game a little bit in that sense. He was willing to strike and throw looping long range strikes which Anderson usually counters well, but to Chris' credit, he was able to play Anderson's game and win.
    ^ I agree.