have you ever been a fan of a cheater? (ex girlfriends dont count)

MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
I've like allastair overeem for a few years now, and every time I see him I want to root and cheer, but I'm torn by the fact that the guy is a flat out-bold faced cheater. I just don't know how to approach the situation, really. You're talking about a guy, who, I was EXTREMELY excited to see when the UFC signed him.

I'd LOVE to see overeem/Velasquez, but watching Cain get beat down would almost be bittersweet at this point. No juicer should be champ. Ever.

So I guess the question is this (and I'm not looking for anyone to decide for me... I'm just interested to read opinion):

If one of your favorite fighters got busted on the juice, could you forgive them?
the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.

Comments

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,874Free
    You shouldn't put too much stock in your idols being drug free 100% of the time.

It's upsetting but ultimately its the nature of professional sport in this day and age- Athletes will seek to gain that edge.

And to be honest I can't blame them. It's their lively hood.
    No amount of juice or enhancement will correct poor stand up skills, fix **** wrestling or strengthen your chin ( sure it gives that physical edge!)

Look at Overeem- It catches up with you in the end.

So to answer your question- Yes I could forgive them, I'd Understand. But I would be disappointed.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • Cain would destroy reem, ... Dana is right when the UFC is the premier fighting championship. What titles you have in k1, pride, BJJ world championships dont equate to UFC greatness or a contract if you loose. Reem has been sheltered from real competition in the past now he cant hide from them... He is in there with dudes who genuinely want to take his head off.
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    edited August 2013

Cain would destroy reem, ... Dana is right when the UFC is the premier fighting championship. What titles you have in k1, pride, BJJ world championships dont equate to UFC greatness or a contract if you loose. Reem has been sheltered from real competition in the past now he cant hide from them... He is in there with dudes who genuinely want to take his head off.

Cain can't take elite strikes to the head, as dos Santos has already proven. Reem would kick his head off.
    Post edited by MachidaPower on

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.
  • Wolf1989Wolf1989 Posts: 326Free
    to be honest I'm a huge Reem fan but hes no where near close to beating Cain not till he starts fighting like he actually wants to be champ and not walk into slow crane kicks and start using his skills correctly
    JDS, Fedor, DC, Overeem, Swanson, Ferreira, E.Silva, Weidman, Sonnen, W.Silva, Belfort, J.Miller, Rothwell, Mitrione, Poirier, Barao, Gustafsson, Shogun, Munoz , Boetch, Maia, Jacare, Condit, Kampmann,Hendricks, Teixeria, Grant, Bendo, Cerrone, Pettis, Penn, Sanchez
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,819Free
    Tahune said:

You shouldn't put too much stock in your idols being drug free 100% of the time.

It's upsetting but ultimately its the nature of professional sport in this day and age- Athletes will seek to gain that edge.

No amount of juice or enhancement will correct poor stand up skills, fix **** wrestling or strengthen your chin ( sure it gives that physical edge!)

So to answer your question- Yes I could forgive them, I'd Understand. But I would be disappointed.

Using steroids didn't "catch up" with Overeem. Not using them did. When he fought Brock he was 265 and ripped, for this fight he was 255 with some stomach fat. I agree that athletes are all looking for an edge, and will try it if they can get away with it.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
    edited August 2013

Tahune said:

Using steroids didn't "catch up" with Overeem. Not using them did. When he fought Brock he was 265 and ripped, for this fight he was 255 with some stomach fat. I agree that athletes are all looking for an edge, and will try it if they can get away with it.
    You misunderstood my use of catches up mate. I agree with what you are saying though.

Post edited by Tahune on
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,538Free
    Carn used to cheat on me but i dodge bullets baby and get myself the UFC PREDICITION TOURNY BELT ;)
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    If i was in charge,,i would tell my fighters from day 1,you get caught,your gone for good.
    Dana is a joke and so are the Fertita's,they do nothing to the fighters when caught for cheating.Cheats are not cheating the sport,they are taking money from other fighters.Some of these guys might not even be in the UFC if not for cheating,so it would open the door to other fighters as well.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,795Moderator, Ultimate
    Badr definitely. Roider, has moments where he thinks he is in Pride, bar fights, mafia relaions

BUT still exciting to watch
    imageimage
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free

Cain would destroy reem, ... Dana is right when the UFC is the premier fighting championship. What titles you have in k1, pride, BJJ world championships dont equate to UFC greatness or a contract if you loose. Reem has been sheltered from real competition in the past now he cant hide from them... He is in there with dudes who genuinely want to take his head off.

Cain can't take elite strikes to the head, as dos Santos has already proven. Reem would kick his head off.
    You mean a punch to the back of the ear?

Nobody can take those type of shots.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,667Free
    Yes
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    No

Miesha Nose.
  • wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,319Free
    I'm a big fan of 'Reem as a kickboxer. In MMA, not so much. I used to get angry when a fighter was busted for juicing. Sean Sherk back in the day comes to mind. Now I just accept the fact that most of them do it. It takes more than just muscles to win a fight. Look at Pudz or Bob Sapp. All the muscles in the world won't do you any good if you don't have the skills to use them properly.
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,667Free

I'm a big fan of 'Reem as a kickboxer. In MMA, not so much. I used to get angry when a fighter was busted for juicing. Sean Sherk back in the day comes to mind. Now I just accept the fact that most of them do it. It takes more than just muscles to win a fight. Look at Pudz or Bob Sapp. All the muscles in the world won't do you any good if you don't have the skills to use them properly.

Nb4JBJFkillsU
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,173Free
    Yes, I have been a fan of several fighters that ended up failing drug tests for PED's.

The thing about PED's and MMA is that nobody notices or makes a big deal about them unless it is a title contender or a very popular name that ends up failing a drug test.

Majority of the time less popular fighters will fail drug tests and it will go by rather unnoticed and not even talked about. Most recent example of this I can think of Joey Beltran. I've never seen anyone post anything negative about the guy and most fans seem to like him, yet nothing is being mentioned about his last fight turning out with a failed drug test for PED's.

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,319Free
    WarWest said:

Nb4JBJFkillsU
    lol, I actually like Pudz for the sheer entertainment value and leg kicks that could knock down a redwood. You have to admit he isn't exactly Bruce Lee though.
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

PoloRidah said:

Yes, I have been a fan of several fighters that ended up failing drug tests for PED's.

The thing about PED's and MMA is that nobody notices or makes a big deal about them unless it is a title contender or a very popular name that ends up failing a drug test.

Majority of the time less popular fighters will fail drug tests and it will go by rather unnoticed and not even talked about. Most recent example of this I can think of Joey Beltran. I've never seen anyone post anything negative about the guy and most fans seem to like him, yet nothing is being mentioned about his last fight turning out with a failed drug test for PED's.

Good point.
  • skullboneskullbone Posts: 1,950Free
    To answer the question, I would forgive. I understand the reasons for banning PEDs and all, but I personally don't care. My philosophy is: whatever works for you. If you end up getting caught and get in trouble then it's not working for you. If you over-abuse PED's and mess up your health it's not working for you. On a side note I'd be willing to guess that 85% or more of all professional athletes have dabbled with PED's at some time or another. I wonder if pot counts as a PED in competitive eating?
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,170Free
    Yeah but i don't respect them as much.
  • sdboltzsdboltz Posts: 732Free
    Its sad to see how much roids helped Overeems mentality. You can see hes not the same animal without them. Im a fan of a lot of guys who use or have used peds. Does it make me like them or respect them less, hell no. They've just been caught. The majority of pro's hve used some sort of ped at some point. Reems case was just so blatantly obvious.
    Speaking of, did anyone else notice the crazy bacne on Macdonald?
    Sig bet record 18-4

Team REEM!!!
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    edited August 2013

Tahune said:

Overeem weighed 263 for the Lesnar fight, and he kept his jeans on. I'm sure Jeans for a man that size weigh weigh a few pounds empty. He could have had quarters in his pockets..

Post edited by JDS_over_REEM on
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • Yes, Sonnen fan here.

I love his personality but I don't really like his TRT use. That's why I'm not a bigger fan of his
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
    Every GSP fan should be responding yes to this thread.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"