Steve Mazzagatti admits to some bad calls in the cage, denies other...

Comments

• Solid_SnakeSolid_Snake Posts: 11,789Moderator, Ultimate
    They have all made mistakes, it's the judges that typically annoy me.
    GSP MAFIA

Leonie fan since day one....No questions asked.

The Funny Thread

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkar
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    Jones vs Hamill should of been stopped when Hamill let Jones just unload on him

In hindsight Im surprised Steve didn't mention Matt's shoulder being the cause of Matt's inability to defend himself in the 1st place. The elbows was beyond overkill since Matt was already finished
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • Shark_EtiquetteShark_Etiquette Posts: 774Free
    Agree on the Jones stoppage.
    Should've been a NC tho.
    And he asked Hammil if he was okay, forgetting that he's deaf.
    I LOL'd @ that
    -----------------////----------------////----------------////----------------////---------------////--------------
    Fedor Emelianenko - Nick Diaz - Frankie Edgar
    - S A F F I E D I N E - S Q U A D -
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free

Should've been a NC tho.
    I LOL'd @ that

yeah, the jones stoppage was one of the worst in history, and basically changed the whole sport. jones would have been a huge crossover story that would be completely mainstream if he (rightfully) kept his undefeated record. it would be a huge story that this young American guy at 25 had yet to be beaten and continually beats legend after legend.

here's why that stoppage was retarded

1. hammill was done LOOOONG before the illegal elbows...mazzagatti was just being power hungry by not stopping the fight and was mad at jones for getting mad at him asking why he's not stopping it. hammill was not even close to intelligently defending himself at that point and was getting completely tooled and risking injury.

2. he asked a deaf guy who couldn't see if he wanted to continue and based his decision on that

3. he originally said one point was deducted for the illegal blow, but then changed it to a DQ loss for no good reason
    Yeah, idk why the DQ.
    12 to 6 elbows are no joke tho.
    Ever been punched in the nose?
    Or hit in the face with a basketball?
    Doesn't feel good.
    Now imagine pointy elbows to the bridge of the nose, full force.
    Eeesh.
    -----------------////----------------////----------------////----------------////---------------////--------------
  • Solid_SnakeSolid_Snake Posts: 11,789Moderator, Ultimate
    Sisti said:

Should've been a NC tho.
    I LOL'd @ that

yeah, the jones stoppage was one of the worst in history, and basically changed the whole sport. jones would have been a huge crossover story that would be completely mainstream if he (rightfully) kept his undefeated record. it would be a huge story that this young American guy at 25 had yet to be beaten and continually beats legend after legend.

1. hammill was done LOOOONG before the illegal elbows...mazzagatti was just being power hungry by not stopping the fight and was mad at jones for getting mad at him asking why he's not stopping it. hammill was not even close to intelligently defending himself at that point and was getting completely tooled and risking injury.

2. he asked a deaf guy who couldn't see if he wanted to continue and based his decision on that

3. he originally said one point was deducted for the illegal blow, but then changed it to a DQ loss for no good reason
    1. Mazzagatti didn't force Jones to resort to illegal elbows. That's Jone's fault, not his.

2. Hamill can read lips. He's deaf, not blind.

3. He changed it to a DQ loss because Jones blatantly cheated to finish him.lol Just because a guy is winning doesn't mean he should become immune to rule enforcement.
    GSP MAFIA

Leonie fan since day one....No questions asked.

The Funny Thread

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkar
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,640Free
    It just seems that her varies between not seeing a foul (or not doing anything about it) and immediately calling a timeout and deducting a point without warning. His Mir vs Lesnar standup was a bad call for sure and I thought Hammill vs Jones was questionable as well. It's too bad that the article mentions the Burkman/Fitch choke but doesn't have a response from Mazzagatti. I think he's a nice enough guy, just not a very good referee.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,589Free
    edited August 2013
    The rule 12 to 6 makes no sense. There are punches and elbows which are more dangerous than the 12-6 elbow... but it isn't mazzagatti's fault he was doing the right thing according to the rules!
    He still makes too many bad calls overall
    Post edited by _Finish_Him_ on
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

/:)
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free

Sisti said:

Should've been a NC tho.
    I LOL'd @ that

1. Mazzagatti didn't force Jones to resort to illegal elbows. That's Jone's fault, not his.

2. Hamill can read lips. He's deaf, not blind.

3. He changed it to a DQ loss because Jones blatantly cheated to finish him.lol Just because a guy is winning doesn't mean he should become immune to rule enforcement.
    Im pretty sure the legal elbow constantly hitting Hamill would make it pretty difficult to read steves lips along w/ covering up

Jones was trying to finish Matt, not cheat. Everyone didn't know about that 12 to 6 rules untill after
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    They all make mistakes of course,i think he is ok not worse than any of the rest,maybe even top 1/2.I do not like Fat Albert aka herb Dean ,the way he conducts himself in the ring,waltzing around like he is just there collecting a pay cheque.The guy is too lazy to get in position and too lazy to move fast to ensure fighter safety.

The guy who is MOST on top of the fights is by far Yves Lavigne but yes he makes mistakes as well.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • HORSEtheBandLIFHORSEtheBandLIF Posts: 500Free
    I don't know why Mazz gets all the heat, Lavigne is a far worse ref. Wiman vs Danzig I stoppage. Brown vs Sell ridiculousness. Those 2 are worse than anything by far.
    Favourite Fighters

HW: Overeem, FEDOR, Cain.

LHW: Mousasi, SHOGUN, Machida.

MW: ANDERSON SILVA.

WW: Diaz, LYTLE, Silva.

LW: Cerrone, DIAZ, Lauzon.

FW: Garza, ALDO, Zombie.

BW: Bowles, BARAO, Faber.<
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,624Free
    edited August 2013
    Mazzagatti is a worse version of Hitler

Mazzagatti and Winslow:

Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • Brent555Brent555 Posts: 3,099Free
    Honestly, it's hard to hate on Mazzagatti anymore ever since Winslow showed up.
    boxing@boxing.nv.gov <boxing@boxing.nv.gov>

This is the e-mail belonging to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Any complaints due to poor judging should be directed to them. Let your voice be heard
    Yeah dude.
    Brown vs Cell was crazy.
    I remember seeing that going "Holy s***! When they gonna stop the fight?! Oh fu**! Fuuuuuuuuuu! They should really stop this. Damn, dude. About time"
    Props to Pete tho.
    GSP would've been snoring after that beat down.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,846Free
    any ref that admits he makes bad calls should be fired.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,285Free
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    GoToGuy said:

Still the worst ever.

Watch brown vs Pete
    And for the record, John has kneed 2 fighter (that I know of) in the head, when stopping a fight.
    Suck on that.
  • SajeittoSajeitto Posts: 1,195Free
    Winslow, Mazzagatti, and Lavigne are equally horrible referees and all should lose their refereeing licenses but they never will because the state athletic commissions are a complete **** joke. All referees in every sport makes mistakes but these 3 do on almost every major card they ref. And while getting good judges is important, getting good referees is far more important, because this is a combat sport and like all combat sports a late stoppage could literally be the difference between life and death.