Interesting fact about Anthony Pettis title win over Ben Henderson at Ufc 164

dbf1dbf1 Posts: 26Free
With Pettis win by submission tonight he became the first man since Frank Mir at ufc 48 (9 years ago) to take a title from a Ufc world champion by submission.I just find it Interesting that a Ufc world champ hasn't lost his belt by sub in over 9 years.
Tagged:

Comments

• NeckCrankNeckCrank Posts: 821Free
    You_Dont_Say.jpg
    550 x 425 - 53K
    ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

• kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,660Free
    That's hard to believe, but now that you mention it, I am having a hard time thinking of any..
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,265Free
    Crazy part to me is Ben is normally excellent at sub defense and got his BB then gets subbed doing Jon Jones defense. WTF!

Lol props to Pettis though he did a great job.
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free

Crazy part to me is Ben is normally excellent at sub defense and got his BB then gets subbed doing Jon Jones defense. WTF!

i really only remember him for escaping chokes, he's never had one of his limbs in that much trouble

Pettis had both of his arms, Bendo was helpless, I think he would have taped seconds before if actually had a arm free.

This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,265Free
    edited September 2013

i really only remember him for escaping chokes, he's never had one of his limbs in that much trouble

Pettis had both of his arms, Bendo was helpless, I think he would have taped seconds before if actually had a arm free.

Yeah i can't really rememeber him escaping any armbars i guess but his defense was strange from the get go. He wasn't helpless though.

There's a few things he should have done differently. Firstly don't hold the head and hover with that much space. He was hovering grabbing the head trying to set-up an elbow or punch series and when Pettis swung his leg over he could have immediately grabbed his bicep and RNC his arms as soon as Pettis started to try to control his arms then pressure in with stacking on one knee and escape his elbow out inch by inch or just hold the RNC postion until Pettis abandons the armbar. Instead he kept just hovering with his arm stretched for about a second before Pettis really gained control and once Pettis did then he stood up over him which was a bad idea and it allowed Pettis to extend his hips fully and when he drove forward he was begging for that transition into the inverted belly down variation and that was a wrap son it was too deep and hyperextended at that point to turn the wrist and do the step over escape.

The whole sequence was just odd for a blackbelt to defend that way. Idk if it was nerves, lapse of focus or he thought Pettis wouldn't get it or what but he made alot of wrong reactions to get let it get that far.

Props to Pettis he did a really good job but Benson also did a poor one.
    Post edited by StompGrind on
  • TUF1_TUF1_ Posts: 1,443Free

Yeah i can't really rememeber him escaping any armbars i guess but his defense was strange from the get go. He wasn't helpless though.

There's a few things he should have done differently. Firstly don't hold the head and hover with that much space. He was hovering grabbing the head trying to set-up an elbow or punch series and when Pettis swung his leg over he could have immediately grabbed his bicep and RNC his arms as soon as Pettis started to try to control his arms then pressure in with stacking on one knee and escape his elbow out inch by inch or just hold the RNC postion until Pettis abandons the armbar. Instead he kept just hovering with his arm stretched for about a second before Pettis really gained control and once Pettis did then he stood up over him which was a bad idea and it allowed Pettis to extend his hips fully and when he drove forward he was begging for that transition into the inverted belly down variation and that was a wrap son it was too deep and hyperextended at that point to turn the wrist and do the step over escape.

The whole sequence was just odd for a blackbelt to defend that way. Idk if it was nerves, lapse of focus or he thought Pettis wouldn't get it or what but he made alot of wrong reactions to get let it get that far.

Props to Pettis he did a really good job but Benson also did a poor one.
    good assessment

• TUF1_TUF1_ Posts: 1,443Free
    this actually is pretty intredasting. Even weirder considering other champs lost their belt via sub right before UFC 48 (BJ subbing Hughes at UFC 46 or 47 i think) and just how many title fights their have been since. Surprising that in 9 years Benson was the first too.

• Sephiroth388Sephiroth388 Antioch, TennesseePosts: 837Free

Shogun tapped to strikes, Jones should be counted

Herb Dean actually stepped in and pulled Jones away before Shogun tapped. Still a TKO, but would have been submission to strikes had it continued for anther 3 seconds.

• cruz2990cruz2990 MexicoPosts: 8,117Free
    The armbar was better than any of ronda rouseys......
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Sigbet record: 50 - 4