Should Overeem vs. Mir Be The Deciding Factor With Who Gets Cut?

Brady969Brady969 Outside DCPosts: 3,100Free
edited September 2013 in UFC
Both fighters could be fighting to keep their jobs. Should this fight determine the fate with their careers in The UFC?

Should Overeem vs. Mir Be The Deciding Factor With Who Gets Cut?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Today's Top Fighters Answer Your Questions At 'Your Corner' Check it out here!
photo image-1.jpg
photo badge2.jpg

Comments

• Sephiroth388Sephiroth388 Antioch, TennesseePosts: 833Free
    I say the loser should be cut unless the fight is an all out war, and one man only suffers defeat to a close decision.

Overeem will have lost three in a row, and if Mir finishes him in spectacular fashion, it will be three consecutive times he has been stopped in a devastating manner. With his hefty salary, Dana would have every reason to send him packing.

Mir may get a longer leash being a big name who has been with the UFC for a long time, but this would be four in a row for him. Many fighters end up searching for alternative employment after far less. His larger salary also hurts his chances.

With all that said, I see Frank getting Murr-dered in the first round. I do think he will be cut, and even though I've never been a big fan, I'll be sad to see him go. He's had some good shows (not the Cro Cop fight).
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,251Free
    No. Either looser should get another chance.
    i don't like seeing someone lose to only top guys and then get cut..

atleast put them way down the ladder first..

like for example mir.

yes he lost 3 in a row now BUT the first was a title fight against JDS (who many see as the number 1 guy) then against cormier who is said to be the next big thing and now against barnett who is in talk for title shots and has been around the top of the HW division for very long.

this doesn't justify a cut IMO

same with overeem. he got ko'ed by bigfoot which is kinda embarrassing but we all know why he lost. then to hapa, who is a rising contender.

they should be given atleast a lower ranked fighter before getting cut

• GSP_rules1GSP_rules1 Posts: 928Free
    The HW division is waaaay to shallow for the ufc to start cutting top 10ers.

Mighty Mouse is a boring point fighter, and will be the reason his weight class gets eliminated from the ufc. Nobody cares if he wins or loses.

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    I would cut both.They are both paid good money and should learn to train like an athlete not just lift some weights and drink protein shakes.
    Mir has had terrible cardio since forever,you would think he would have learned by now.He did that one stint with Hardy in the mountains but i think he was so out of shape,he gained little from it and did not want to do anymore cardio training.He reminds me of Penn,he talks the talk and thinks he is a lot better than eh really is.
    Mir should have woke up long ago when he lost to that Brit Freeman,he was outworked by a much smaller fighter and a relative no namer.He probably would have lost to Sylvia as well but a ref saved him with some fabricated arm snap that Sylvia said he was fine,nothing really happened.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    if you listened to his comments afterwards mir said his biggest disappointment is that he went to jacksons and got in way better shape than he was in and didnt get to showcase it

neither should get cut they are two of the most talented guys on the whole roster. i think its a ridiculous question actually...no offense OP i know its the buzz going around, not your own idea
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,980Free
    I wouldn't cut em just cause they put on good fights. Whether they win or lose more often then not Reem and Mir put on a show.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,245Free
    They are both living legends

Neither should be cut, both deserve to be in the HOF
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,712Free
    Whoever looses should retire
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • KuDKuD Posts: 60Free
    I don't think either of them should get cut.
  • c_pumphreyc_pumphrey Posts: 929Free
    Yes. The loser should be cut
    Loser goes even tho I like both fighters hope they both stay
    HW is shallow so u never kno
  • SolidStateLogicSolidStateLogic Posts: 4,181Free
    I think retiring is a better option for Mir than trying to find a new organisation.

If Overeem loses and they cut him he will still fight and probably return to K1.
    Overeem - Hari - Spong - Daley - Hardy - Manhoef - A. Silva - Rutten - Diaz Bros
  • TigerChampTigerChamp Nicolas CagePosts: 3,606Free
    Murr is a **** but he doesnt deserve to get cut, he should be given the option to retire on his own terms.

Overeem could loose another three fights in a row, as long as its by KO ill keep paying to watch

who honestly hasnt enjoyed seein him get KTFO...

Check out the trophy wall http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147934/forum-trophy-wall#latest
  • TigerChampTigerChamp Nicolas CagePosts: 3,606Free
    edited September 2013
    Post edited by TigerChamp on

Check out the trophy wall http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147934/forum-trophy-wall#latest
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Loser walks.

• AxeMurduhAxeMurduh ShuragogaunepechwanPosts: 1,918Free
    I highly doubt Murrr will stand and trade, it will turn into a grappling match...

• YeahBuddyYeahBuddy Posts: 82Elite
    If Mir loses he will just be given the option to retire hes been in the ufc for 12 years. If overeem loses he should just be cut.
  • poonmachinepoonmachine Posts: 1,745Free
    I can see where they would cut Overeem seeing as he hasn't won a fight since he came back from his suspension. But this is Mirs first time losing more than once without winnig
    FF

Rickson Gracie

Wanderlei Silva

Thiago Alves

Nogueira

• wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,319Free
    Loser fights Kongo in Bellator. Kongo/Overeem would actually be an entertaining fight IMO, so I hope Mir wins lol.
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

• BobmysterBobmyster Posts: 2,677Free
    Brady969 said:

Both fighters could be fighting to keep their jobs. Should this fight determine the fate with their careers in The UFC?

Unfortunately yep!
    *Michael Bisping Defence Force Co-Founder*

• MrBisonMrBison Posts: 554Free
    Overeem will be cut if he loses.. I'm very confident about that. Mir However is 16-8 in the UFC and two time HW champ.. Get real, the only way he leaves the UFC is when he retires.
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
    I'm not sure but I'll check out www.itsyourcorner.com
    For me it depends on how the loser loses. If he gets destroyed then i could see it. But if its close, then no.
  • Jason_H.Jason_H. Posts: 2,159Free
    The HW division is weak. The division can't afford to lose any of its fighters at this point.
    What??
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,424Free
    Mir's definitely not getting cut if he loses. He's one of the OG's of the UFC. They wouldn't let him go, he would just retire most likely.

And for Overeem, when he loses, they could just give him low-tier fighters, like Soa Poalelie. And if that guy beats Overeem....

..then yeah he should be cut.
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
    NyteRyder said:

Mir's definitely not getting cut if he loses. He's one of the OG's of the UFC. They wouldn't let him go, he would just retire most likely.

And for Overeem, when he loses, they could just give him low-tier fighters, like Soa Poalelie. And if that guy beats Overeem....

that would be 4 in a row. I think Dana would give him the "retirement" talk. But then again Dan Hardy lost 4 and was still int he UFC and Mir is much more important to them so who knows
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,424Free
    Jbrahams said:

NyteRyder said:

that would be 4 in a row. I think Dana would give him the "retirement" talk. But then again Dan Hardy lost 4 and was still int he UFC and Mir is much more important to them so who knows
    Aww Dan Hardy. Miss that guy. Wish he would return.

I would expect Dana to give Mir retirement talk. If Mir wins, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired. Would be better if he retired off of a win. But we'll see how he performs and his plans afterwards.
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,245Free
    Jbrahams said:

NyteRyder said:

Condit lost 3 in a row, he didn't get cut
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
    NyteRyder said:

Jbrahams said:

NyteRyder said:

Aww Dan Hardy. Miss that guy. Wish he would return.

I would expect Dana to give Mir retirement talk. If Mir wins, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired. Would be better if he retired off of a win. But we'll see how he performs and his plans afterwards.
    yeah sucks we missed out on Hardy vs Brown, would have been good
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,812Free

Jbrahams said:

NyteRyder said:

Condit lost 3 in a row, he didn't get cut
    cant cut the best fighter at ww. Only way to beat him is to run or hold on for dear life.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• skillandpowerskillandpower Posts: 819Free
    UFC wants to be careful on who gets cut and goes to BELLATOR ! (yes Bellator is becoming a second league, ufc junk yard, etc).

Like them or not, guys like Reem and Mir got such a strong fun base that UFC would think twice before cutting them.

Also, you gotta know the difference between cutting someone or simply telling them "hey, take a 1 year vacation then come back again after ppl forget your 4 loss streak".
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    That sounds like bellators next PPV.
    the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.