Fight sucked anyways. On to the next one
Tagged:

Comments

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,382Free
    FIGHT SUCKED!?

Go watch bum fights

this was a great grappling match

Shields 1,2 3, and possibly 5
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,187Free
    I figured the decision would turn out like that after the fight. Maia would easily control the first 3 and a half minutes of the fight. Then Shields would get a takedown or reversal and stall the last minute and a half.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 65-41

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,660Free
    I thought Shields edged out the first

Shields 1, 2, & 3..
  • Jason_H.Jason_H. Posts: 2,202Free
    IMO, Shields won 2, 3, 4, and 5. Shields got robbed hard.
    What??
  • cronicmmacronicmma Posts: 57Free
    I gave the fight to shields but neither fighter was that impressive. But damn those two reversals shields pulled were sick!
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    Shields took round two 10-8 tho. I don't like it, but shields WON. I wasn't so impressed with him as I was unimpressed with Demian.
    the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.
    cronicmma said:

I gave the fight to shields but neither fighter was that impressive. But damn those two reversals shields pulled were sick!

They were!

Before Shields gassed, he proved he was clearly the better grappler of the two, imo

kapst said:

cronicmma said:

They were!

Before Shields gassed, he proved he was clearly the better grappler of the two, imo

lol
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,369Free

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• Wolf1989Wolf1989 Posts: 326Free
    Are you on the pipe
    JDS, Fedor, DC, Overeem, Swanson, Ferreira, E.Silva, Weidman, Sonnen, W.Silva, Belfort, J.Miller, Rothwell, Mitrione, Poirier, Barao, Gustafsson, Shogun, Munoz , Boetch, Maia, Jacare, Condit, Kampmann,Hendricks, Teixeria, Grant, Bendo, Cerrone, Pettis, Penn, Sanchez
  • UFCisGSPUFCisGSP Posts: 6,938Free

FIGHT SUCKED!?

Go watch bum fights

this was a great grappling match

Shields 1,2 3, and possibly 5

Wow, Who woulda thunk it? :) We AGREE!
    In the fight I was watching, this was an easy decision. Shields 1,2,3,5. I was shocked it was a SD and not a UD.

Saint Pierre 9:23: "We're not impressed by your performance!"

Behind every successful person lies a pack of haters!

LW - Cerrone, WW - Rory, MW - Belcher, LHW<
    The barrel roll is a severely underated move

• ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,071Free

I actually had Shields 49-46, but maybe I should watch it again.

Anyway, it just proves how boring grappling is: two world class grapplers, fighting for 25 minutes and most part of it was boring as hell.

Shields' roll was the move of the fight for me.

Grappling is ruining MMA.

Lets not pretend we dont get pissed when a fight goes to the ground and focus our attention somewhere else during the fight (phone, gf, etc)

I actually had Shields 49-46, but maybe I should watch it again.

Anyway, it just proves how boring grappling is: two world class grapplers, fighting for 25 minutes and most part of it was boring as hell.

Shields' roll was the move of the fight for me.

Grappling is ruining MMA.

Lets not pretend we dont get pissed when a fight goes to the ground and focus our attention somewhere else during the fight (phone, gf, etc)
    Grappling can be exciting if there is movement and they actually go for submissions. I saw 2 gas cans wiggling around last night. I expected more from Maia. Maybe they're just both so strong that they neutralized each others power the whole fight. Didn't look like it. There was a moment... I don't remember which round... Where Maia could easily went for a kamora. Either he didn't see it, he was too tired, or he was lazy. I'm really starting to see that its probably a LOT different watching it on TV than it is first person.

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    Shields dominated Maia in a classic grappling match. If you didnt enjoy it, stick to boxing for **** sake

fobar said:

Shields dominated Maia in a classic grappling match. If you didnt enjoy it, stick to boxing for **** sake

Does it really have to be so slow? Wong of me to call shields and maia cans, but if neither can pull off the submission after the better part of 25 minutes on the ground, then neither are championship level. Am I wrong?

Miesha Nose.

fobar said:

Does it really have to be so slow? Wong of me to call shields and maia cans, but if neither can pull off the submission after the better part of 25 minutes on the ground, then neither are championship level. Am I wrong?
    Yes you are. They are 2 of the best in the world at grappling and you dont always get a finish as they cancel out each others moves for most of the fight. thats what happened here with Jake pulling of the win by being more dominant Imho

Oh, did you hear the crowd yelling "JIU JITSU! JIU JITSU!" when Maia first took Shields down?

Then Jake comes out and defeats Maia at his own game =))

American Jui Jitsu too strong

Canadian Jiu Jitsu too strong

• _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,608Free
    Yan Cabral > Brazilian Jiu Jitsu > American Jiu Jitsu >Canadian Jiu Jitsu
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• UFCisGSPUFCisGSP Posts: 6,938Free
    We saw what happens when a top level BJJ guy fights a lesser opponent (and able to take him down). See Maia/Story for example. When you have the 2 (arguably) best practitioners in the organization against each other, you should expect a tactical fight, which you got. Saying it's boring and that grappling is ruining MMA is in direct contrast to the name of the sport. We heard this being said about wrestling too. In the end of the day, it leaves us with boxing/MT. so why bother with MMA to begin with? just watch the other sports...
    Saint Pierre 9:23: "We're not impressed by your performance!"

Behind every successful person lies a pack of haters!

LW - Cerrone, WW - Rory, MW - Belcher, LHW<
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,859Free
    edited October 2013
    was easily shields 1-3 and possibly 5, maia tried to out shields shields but you cant beat a guy thats been grinding on people as long as shields has.

if shields had been relentless for the takedowns against gsp he would have easily won.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• fobar said:

To be honest, I don't watch much kickboxing or boxing because they're boring to me with the big gloves, the 10 counts (interrupting momentum from who was potentially about to finish), the constant referee action breaking the clinch etc.

BUT

I can't pretend Maia vs Shields was exciting. The only "wow" moment was Shields turning Maia's back mount to him being on top.

I don't say grappling is killing the sport at all, some people grapple the right way.. Palhares, Weidman, Jacare, Sonnen (even him is going for subs now, etc.)

Zombie vs Poirier is one of my all time favorite fights and it had A LOT of grappling.

My main concerns about Maia and Shields were that Shields was (and always will be) happy to just stay in the guard and throw pitter patter punches all night long. And Maia was gassed in the 2nd round WHEN HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST GRAPPLER IN THE WORLD

/rant

fobar said:

To be honest, I don't watch much kickboxing or boxing because they're boring to me with the big gloves, the 10 counts (interrupting momentum from who was potentially about to finish), the constant referee action breaking the clinch etc.

BUT

I can't pretend Maia vs Shields was exciting. The only "wow" moment was Shields turning Maia's back mount to him being on top.

I don't say grappling is killing the sport at all, some people grapple the right way.. Palhares, Weidman, Jacare, Sonnen (even him is going for subs now, etc.)

Zombie vs Poirier is one of my all time favorite fights and it had A LOT of grappling.

My main concerns about Maia and Shields were that Shields was (and always will be) happy to just stay in the guard and throw pitter patter punches all night long. And Maia was gassed in the 2nd round WHEN HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST GRAPPLER IN THE WORLD

/rant
    what you have failed to understand about this fight, like many others have, that when you have 2 of the best in the world like these 2 they are constantly cancelling each other out, might not look much from the viewers perspective, but the subtle moves they are both trying to use to gain an advantage are being countered almost instantly. this is exhausting for both fights to constantly do this

this was always going to be this kind of fight and therefore a fight for grappling purist's who love the chess battle these fight become

sorry if that comes across as me being a **** in any way, just my opinion

fobar said:

Agreed.

I actually enjoyed the fight, tbh..
    kapst said:

fobar said:

Agreed.

I actually enjoyed the fight, tbh..
    it was a classic for the purists but was never going to excite the masses, I like these fights and have always support Shields

• fobar said:

fobar said:

BUT

/rant
    what you have failed to understand about this fight, like many others have, that when you have 2 of the best in the world like these 2 they are constantly cancelling each other out, might not look much from the viewers perspective, but the subtle moves they are both trying to use to gain an advantage are being countered almost instantly. this is exhausting for both fights to constantly do this

this was always going to be this kind of fight and therefore a fight for grappling purist's who love the chess battle these fight become

Ehh.. that's cool, lol. Some people like mint ice cream and I hate it :D
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,323Free
    fobar said:

fobar said:

BUT

/rant

I agree but i thought there could have been a little more risk taken to advance and attack but both of their styles are tight and we could have seen an epic roll like a Newton vs Saku type match. There weren't enough flowing transitions to keep it really exciting because there was too much minute control going on which can be stale at times but it was still fairly entertaining.