Fedor blames Dana for not signing with the UFC

Love him or Hate him. GSP is the number 1 welterweight in the world and will remain champion until he retires.
Tagged:

Comments

• MrBisonMrBison Posts: 556Free
    Well Dana can be quite the politician, always take what he says with a grain of salt. However I feel M1 probably **** it too.
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    Dana could not muster an iota of care about this.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • MrBisonMrBison Posts: 556Free
    Galvanik said:

Dana could not muster an iota of care about this.

the video wasn't directed to dana
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,608Free
    I'd blame Werdum and Bigfoot LoL...
    not that I would care tho I never liked Fedor!
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• I'd blame Werdum and Bigfoot LoL...
    not that I would care tho I never liked Fedor!

I think he meant way before his losses.
    Love him or Hate him. GSP is the number 1 welterweight in the world and will remain champion until he retires.
  • cruz2990cruz2990 MexicoPosts: 8,119Free
    Why wasn't Fedor acquired in the pride deal?
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Sigbet record: 50 - 4

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    cruz2990 said:

m1
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • cruz2990cruz2990 MexicoPosts: 8,119Free

cruz2990 said:

m1
    Someone needs to shoot them.....
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Sigbet record: 50 - 4

• Mr_MousasiMr_Mousasi Posts: 547Free
    Other media outlets placed much of the blame on UFC: "Trying to get out in front of the public relations skirmish that would follow the UFC’s failure to sign Emeliananeko, a UFC insider leaked bogus contract terms to Carmichael Dave, a California-based radio host. The tactic was effective. Fans and the online media turned against the Russian and his team. The tactic also may have backfired. Emelianenko was reportedly softening and considering signing with the UFC. The leak, which M-1 Global criticized as inaccurate and inappropriate, shut down negotiations for good."
    I, Mr_Mousasi, am a loser thanks to Mr_Mousasi.

...and Alan Belcher
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free

Other media outlets placed much of the blame on UFC: "Trying to get out in front of the public relations skirmish that would follow the UFC’s failure to sign Emeliananeko, a UFC insider leaked bogus contract terms to Carmichael Dave, a California-based radio host. The tactic was effective. Fans and the online media turned against the Russian and his team. The tactic also may have backfired. Emelianenko was reportedly softening and considering signing with the UFC. The leak, which M-1 Global criticized as inaccurate and inappropriate, shut down negotiations for good."

There's 2 sides to every story...DW is the loudest (by far) and has the biggest podium so we all think M1 are a bunch of idiots. But realistically, I have a feeling there was a very good chance Fedor was on his way over but having the President of the company insult you hundreds of times publicly is a pretty retarded move as well. If you're trying to get a guy's management company to come over, I don't think insulting the management company over and over is the best way to go about it
    edited October 2013
    I'm sure if we heard m1 talk about their negotiation tactics and why they did what they did, it wouldn't sound all that bad. DW goes AT ONE POINT I OFFERED $1MILLION...uhhh...Brock vs. Fedor when they were both in the height of their popularity would have done about 2million buys and put the UFC on the map to soooo many more casual fans. 2 million buys at $50 is about $100million! Not to mention the increase in fans, the gate, etc. M1 budging on copromotion wouldn't have made much sense. Fedor coming to the UFC would have been worth $100million to the UFC and the UFC was offering to give him 1%...that's a greedy deal and almost any promotional company/manager who knows they have someone that would bring in that much would hold of taking on 1% of PPV revenue
    Post edited by Sisti on
  • iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,183Free
    Sisti said:

I'm sure if we heard m1 talk about their negotiation tactics and why they did what they did, it wouldn't sound all that bad. DW goes AT ONE POINT I OFFERED $1MILLION...uhhh...Brock vs. Fedor when they were both in the height of their popularity would have done about 2million buys and put the UFC on the map to soooo many more casual fans. 2 million buys at $50 is about $100million! Not to mention the increase in fans, the gate, etc. M1 budging on copromotion wouldn't have made much sense. Fedor coming to the UFC would have been worth $100million to the UFC and the UFC was offering to give him 1%...that's a greedy deal and very one-sided

The UFC offers PPV headliners something like $3 $4 or $5 for every PPV buy. So, If he had accepted the $1 million base pay and the PPV sold 2 million. He would have came away with more like $7 million+.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 65-41

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• Jason_H.Jason_H. Posts: 2,202Free
    edited October 2013
    iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

I'm sure if we heard m1 talk about their negotiation tactics and why they did what they did, it wouldn't sound all that bad. DW goes AT ONE POINT I OFFERED $1MILLION...uhhh...Brock vs. Fedor when they were both in the height of their popularity would have done about 2million buys and put the UFC on the map to soooo many more casual fans. 2 million buys at $50 is about $100million! Not to mention the increase in fans, the gate, etc. M1 budging on copromotion wouldn't have made much sense. Fedor coming to the UFC would have been worth $100million to the UFC and the UFC was offering to give him 1%...that's a greedy deal and very one-sided

The UFC offers PPV headliners something like $3 $4 or $5 for every PPV buy. So, If he had accepted the $1 million base pay and the PPV sold 2 million. He would have came away with more like $7 million+.
    That wasn't the issue. The issue was M-1 also wanted a stake in the profits and the ufc was too greedy to make it happen. M-1 offered a co-promotion event but the ufc declined. The ufc wanted to sign Fedor and have him under contract with no more ties to M-1 and that was literally the stint that killed the deal.

The ufc refused the co-promotion because if Fedor came in and blasted the current ufc champ and then leaves town, the ufc HW division would look secondary. The ufc wanted to have Fedor under contract so that if he does come in and blasts the competition, the ufc will still have him and the ufc and its HW division will still look legitimate and the ufc will remain the number 1 mma promotion.

Money was not an issue for Fedor. Money was an issue for Fedor's manager, M-1, and the UFC. I personally think the ufc is most at fault for why we didn't get to see Brock vs Fedor. But now that it's after the fact, who really wants to see Brock vs Fedor? Not me. Cain vs Fedor would have been a real treat though..

Post edited by Jason_H. on
    What??
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,433Free
    Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

That wasn't the issue. The issue was M-1 also wanted a stake in the profits and the ufc was too greedy to make it happen. M-1 offered a co-promotion event but the ufc declined. The ufc wanted to sign Fedor and have him under contract with no more ties to M-1 and that was literally the stint that killed the deal.

The ufc refused the co-promotion because if Fedor came in and blasted the current ufc champ and then leaves town, the ufc HW division would look secondary. The ufc wanted to have Fedor under contract so that if he does come in and blasts the competition, the ufc will still have him and the ufc and its HW division will still look legitimate and the ufc will remain the number 1 mma promotion.

Money was not an issue for Fedor. Money was an issue for Fedor's manager, M-1, and the UFC. I personally think the ufc is most at fault for why we didn't get to see Brock vs Fedor. But now that it's after the fact, who really wants to see Brock vs Fedor? Not me. Cain vs Fedor would have been a real treat though..

This I used to lol at people claiming he was scared first it was the UFC he was scared of then Overeem and the only reason he wouldn't fight Overeem was he knew he was juicing and Reem tested positive as soon as he left Strikeforce and entered the UFC so they were right in the end. As much as I wanted to see Fedor fight in the UFC money and the business side of things is what stood in the way sadly.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
    edited October 2013
    Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

I think you have this a little backwards. That M-1 wanted a stake in the UFC's profits indicates an unreasonable amount of greed on their (M-1) behalf.

The UFC not wanting to share them is reasonable. To cave would defy logic. There are so many fighters in the UFC who are draws, if they were to start splitting shares with everyone, the UFC would not stand long as a viable company. (This is not an argument over fighter pay, I'm addressing something logical, concerning the laughability of turning the UFC into some sort of co-op. I do believe the fighters should be compensated more.)

What was so special about Fedor? His mystic? Well, that would have been shattered after his first fight in the UFC. It's likely that everyone on the inside was well aware of that fact.
    Post edited by Megasoup on
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,859Free
    fedor was exposed as a can so dana doesnt care.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• Jason_H.Jason_H. Posts: 2,202Free
    Sisti said:

Megasoup said:

Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

I think you have this a little backwards. That M-1 wanted a stake in the UFC's profits indicates an unreasonable amount of greed on their (M-1) behalf.

The UFC not wanting to share them is reasonable. To cave would defy logic. There are so many fighters in the UFC who are draws, if they were to start splitting shares with everyone, the UFC would not stand long as a viable company. (This is not an argument over fighter pay, I'm addressing something logical, concerning the laughability of turning the UFC into some sort of co-op. I do believe the fighters should be compensated more.)

What was so special about Fedor? His mystic? Well, that would have been shattered after his first fight in the UFC. It's likely that everyone on the inside was well aware of that fact.
    you are just buying into exactly what DW wants you to think and his side of the story. there's 2 sides though.

m-1 was pretty wrong in this whole thing and their insistence on co-promotion only was a problem. but you have to remember the situation AT THE TIME...at the time, fedor was the biggest name and legend in all of mma with a 10-year unbeaten streak. realistically, he would have very likely beat brock. while fedor did beat many big guys in the past, a win over brock as well would have skyrocketed fedor's stock. m-1 had an extremely valuable commodity in fedor and knew what he was worth and it's pretty obvious that UFC keeping all of the profits and giving a flat rate to fedor was not fair.

fedor is not a hateful guy who starts wars with everyone though so you never really hear from them. m-1 was his buddies and he wasn't looking to let go of them so he could work for a guy whose insulted him publically 50 times. m-1 and ufc both were at fault for why we never got to see the match, and the reason ppl don't hear m-1's side as much is because they don't have the same media exposure that DW does. at the very least, DW should have cut down the rhetoric and not talked so much trash publically on m-1. also, just being honest, m-1 didn't have fedor's best interests and ONLY accepting co-promotion was a dumb option.

at the end of the day, fedor always stayed humble and just did his job. he never called himself the best or acted foolishly...I think the guy is just looking to live his life and doesn't really care for the whole glitz and glamour of fame. he was a great fighter who hit his prime a few years before mma took off. he never really proved himself vs. the talent of today, but he had his time and I think any mma fan could appreciate what he did accomplish
    What??
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
    Sisti said:

Megasoup said:

Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

you are just buying into exactly what DW wants you to think and his side of the story. there's 2 sides though.

m-1 was pretty wrong in this whole thing and their insistence on co-promotion only was a problem. but you have to remember the situation AT THE TIME...at the time, fedor was the biggest name and legend in all of mma with a 10-year unbeaten streak. realistically, he would have very likely beat brock. while fedor did beat many big guys in the past, a win over brock as well would have skyrocketed fedor's stock. m-1 had an extremely valuable commodity in fedor and knew what he was worth and it's pretty obvious that UFC keeping all of the profits and giving a flat rate to fedor was not fair.

fedor is not a hateful guy who starts wars with everyone though so you never really hear from them. m-1 was his buddies and he wasn't looking to let go of them so he could work for a guy whose insulted him publically 50 times. m-1 and ufc both were at fault for why we never got to see the match, and the reason ppl don't hear m-1's side as much is because they don't have the same media exposure that DW does. at the very least, DW should have cut down the rhetoric and not talked so much trash publically on m-1. also, just being honest, m-1 didn't have fedor's best interests and ONLY accepting co-promotion was a dumb option.

at the end of the day, fedor always stayed humble and just did his job. he never called himself the best or acted foolishly...I think the guy is just looking to live his life and doesn't really care for the whole glitz and glamour of fame. he was a great fighter who hit his prime a few years before mma took off. he never really proved himself vs. the talent of today, but he had his time and I think any mma fan could appreciate what he did accomplish
    I keep hearing "Fedor," "Fedor," "Fedor," and that's okay. But the question remains, "how in the heck does M-1 enter into the equation?" Seriously, if we're having a discussion about Fedor's accomplishments and the way he should be compensated, then there is grounds for a debate. For all of his mystique, maybe a more sizable package (ha ha! I just said "sizable package") could have been put together. Whatever.

But for some third party (a network of leeches who had nothing to do with Fedor's successes, achievement or talent and even less than nothing to do with the UFC) to try to intervene and get money for nothing is not something a reasonable person should support. If anyone is disappointed in never having had the chance to see Fedor in the UFC, the finger should be pointed in M-1's direction. While they may have been Fedor's buddies, you have to remember that we live in a world where a person's "buddies" are often the ones that take advantage of them.

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• jamamawjamamaw Posts: 2,406Free
    It would have happened if Dana really wanted it to
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

Sig bet Record: 1-0
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Sisti said:

Megasoup said:

Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

so fedor was a puppet for m1? End of the day if he really wanted the move to happen it would of, once pride went the ufc was the only top teir mma promotion in town.

you're trying to make out fedor had nothing to do with it not happening, he could of quite easily made it happen and if like you say money wasn't an issue for him then it would of been a smooth negotiation.

UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,859Free
    if fedor did get that shot against lesnar he would have become the ufc hw champ, least until he fought cain
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

edited October 2013
    Gabri1985 said:

Sisti said:

Megasoup said:

Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

so fedor was a puppet for m1? End of the day if he really wanted the move to happen it would of, once pride went the ufc was the only top teir mma promotion in town.

you're trying to make out fedor had nothing to do with it not happening, he could of quite easily made it happen and if like you say money wasn't an issue for him then it would of been a smooth negotiation.
    who said fedor had nothing to do with it? read my post and it says that m-1 was wrong quite a few times. and m-1 is fedor's management company so of course that has something to do with him as well. what people don't acknowledge is that DW trashing fedor and m-1 publicly was ridiculous. also, people always act like suggesting co-promotion was insane, but it wasn't all that crazy considering the amount of money UFC was braced to get in that deal as well...realistically, for what Fedor's stock was at his height of popularity and winning streak, he was easily worth accepting a co-promotion deal. DW always used to say he did everything possible to get Fedor and that he was obsessed with getting him there, yet he refused to do the thing that would have allowed it to happen for sure.

my point is simply that we only hear DW's gripes about m-1, but there's 2 sides to every story. publicly insulting a side every week and saying you only want to do it your way is not the best way to make a deal go through.

Post edited by Sisti on
    Sisti said:

Gabri1985 said:

Sisti said:

Megasoup said:

Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

who said fedor had nothing to do with it? read my post and it says that m-1 was wrong quite a few times. and m-1 is fedor's management company so of course that has something to do with him as well. what people don't acknowledge is that DW trashing fedor and m-1 publicly was ridiculous. also, people always act like suggesting co-promotion was insane, but it wasn't all that crazy considering the amount of money UFC was braced to get in that deal as well...realistically, for what Fedor's stock was at his height of popularity and winning streak, he was easily worth accepting a co-promotion deal. DW always used to say he did everything possible to get Fedor and that he was obsessed with getting him there, yet he refused to do the thing that would have allowed it to happen for sure.

my point is simply that we only hear DW's gripes about m-1, but there's 2 sides to every story. publicly insulting a side every week and saying you only want to do it your way is not the best way to make a deal go through.

If you don't think a co promotion was insane then you don't have the first clue about business.

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

Gabri1985 said:

Sisti said:

Gabri1985 said:

Sisti said:

Megasoup said:

Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

If you don't think a co promotion was insane then you don't have the first clue about business.
    You don't understand business if you don't realize that when you have something worth many many millions, you could ask for something that much more. That is why Floyd Mayweather could make $100million a year...it's because his involvement is worth that much. When Fedor's stock was at it's very highest, a Fedor/Brock fight would have been so profitable for the UFC then and in bringing that many more people to the sport that co-promotion would have been worth it for the UFC 10X over. You obviously don't understand greed and stubbornness of people in positions of power

• idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    he offered him millions of dollars to fight brock, and stay away from sambo tournaments/other organizations that he might get hurt in, and it wasnt enough

its fedors fault. and his terrible managers. now that hes lost fights, he no longer has that bargaining power he once had. he was still an idiot for turning down millions for one fight. NO other fighter in the UFC makes that kind of money

just plain greed and ignorance. let him crush cans.
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
    Sisti said:

Gabri1985 said:

Sisti said:

Gabri1985 said:

Sisti said:

Megasoup said:

Jason_H. said:

iNOOB said:

Sisti said:

You don't understand business if you don't realize that when you have something worth many many millions, you could ask for something that much more. That is why Floyd Mayweather could make $100million a year...it's because his involvement is worth that much. When Fedor's stock was at it's very highest, a Fedor/Brock fight would have been so profitable for the UFC then and in bringing that many more people to the sport that co-promotion would have been worth it for the UFC 10X over. You obviously don't understand greed and stubbornness of people in positions of power

haha seriously you need to have a think about what your saying. Ufc are a worldwide brand name, there so big in terms of mma that a lot of casual watcher's refer to mma as ufc.

why would you as a business offer that kind of exposure and cut them into your profits just so you can get a fighter you have already offered millions to?? The cons far outweigh the pros. You're also totally over estimating how big a draw fedor is, very few new fans would of watched that fight, Brock was the name pulling new fans in, guys who knew little about mma have no idea who fedor is, so not only are you paying him millions per fight but every card he is on your giving m1 free exposure and a share of your profits.