Rebney promises to let Askren go if he gets a title shot

GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
edited October 2013 in UFC
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1806160-bjorn-rebney-promises-to-let-ben-askren-leave-with-guaranteed-ufc-title-shot

So Rebney has said that if the UFC gives Ben Askren a title fight for his debut, he'll let Askren go without a struggle. Now obviously this is Rebney we're talking about here, so take it with a grain of salt. I think it's unlikely that Dana would agree to that (he hates Askren), but what do you guys think? Should this happen?

P.S. I know it's Bleacher Report, sue me.

Rebney promises to let Askren go if he gets a title shot

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Bet Record: 2-3

Comments

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,651Free
    edited October 2013
    Let's be honest, he's not getting a title shot off the bat. The UFC like to trial you before they give you a title shot. Rebney is trying to drive Askren's price down
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • cashflow247cashflow247 Posts: 1,873Ultimate
    He should have to earn a title shot
    Askren doesn't even deserve a shot against a top five contender. Sure, you've mastered the lay and pray against the Bellator scrubs, but that doesn't mean you can pull that off in the big show.
    Sig bet record: Omo-2

Owning the haters since day one

• OzprideOzpride Posts: 4,096Free
    Galvanik said:

Let's be honest, he's not getting a title shot off the bat. The UFC like to trial you before they give you a title shot. Rebney is trying to drive Askren's price down

I think it's more that if Askren gets a shot, it makes it look like being a Bellator champ puts you on equal footing to being a UFC champ. At least, that's what I suspect Rebney's up to- he's a snake like that.
    exactly this. smart move but DW sees it coming! Askren isn't worthy of a shot though. Spewing Id rather see him crushed in the UFC than holding up the belt in Bellator!

Make him fight Shields they could bore each other to death!

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    He needs to earn it, put him in against a top five guy in the ufc and see how he goes. Him vs Rory would be a good fight.
    Give him Jake Shields first , let it be the first preliminary on a free card.

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,293Free
    He won't do it unless he gets a cut is what he meant
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,385Free
    edited October 2013
    Galvanik said:

I think it's more that if Askren gets a shot, it makes it look like being a Bellator champ puts you on equal footing to being a UFC champ. At least, that's what I suspect Rebney's up to- he's a snake like that.
    I think this is exactly what Bjorn is trying to do.

I want to see how Askren does in the UFC because honestly his ability to control people the way he does impresses me. He's finished his last two fights and idgaf what kind of "rep" wrestlers get in MMA.

I don't particularly agree that his first fight in the UFC should be a title shot against Grease though. I'd rather see him fight somebody else first. **** Bjorn, acting like Askren belongs to him and he can make his career decisions. Bellator is shady.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,962Free
    The best thing for Bellator would be if Askren came in and claimed the belt. It would add a lot of legitimacy to that promotion. I don't see DW being dumb enough to fall for that. He should just let Askren have a legal battle like Eddie. That would really scare a lot of fighters away from Bellator.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

The best thing for Bellator would be if Askren came in and claimed the belt. It would add a lot of legitimacy to that promotion. I don't see DW being dumb enough to fall for that. He should just let Askren have a legal battle like Eddie. That would really scare a lot of fighters away from Bellator.

I'm still disappointed with the Eddie Alvarez situation.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free

Bjorn is just trying to leverage this situation as much as he can to make the most profit, just like with Alvarez- I guarantee if he can't get something good out of this, he'll never let Askren leave.
    Galvanik said:

Bjorn is just trying to leverage this situation as much as he can to make the most profit, just like with Alvarez- I guarantee if he can't get something good out of this, he'll never let Askren leave.
    Which is a load of **** considering Bjorn has come out publicly saying that Askren is one dimensional and he doesn't plan on "holding onto" him.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,651Free
    Rebney is willing to ruin Askren's career over the Bellator brand. He did the same to Alvarez, Eddie can only leave if he loses and if he loses he has no value.

Rebney is willing to ruin Askren's career over the Bellator brand. He did the same to Alvarez, Eddie can only leave if he loses and if he loses he has no value.

I would say it depends on how he loses. After that war he had with Chandler the first time, the UFC still wanted to sign him.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

Yeah, people give Dana a lot of flack for his hasty decisions and loud personality, but he's nothing compared to Rebney. Bjorn can and will directly lie to both his fighters and the public, then turn around and screw over everybody in order to maintain Bellator's image. Pretty ironic if you ask me.
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,436Free
    Askren would get murdered by most if not all top 10 WW's imo. Even though I wanted to see Alvarez sign and didn't agree with there methods handling him Eddie is one of there biggest draws where Bellator gets talent the UFC no longer wants, the UFC try take there biggest names and that's no good for a company trying to grow but obviously fighters and fans want them to go to the bigger promotion to get more money and exposure it's one of them situations.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
    What I don't understand is, it didn't seem like there was any frustration at all when it came to signing Lombard to the UFC. Now it seems like every fighter in Bellator with some hype behind their name is on a leash.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,436Free
    That's true maybe they realised they were becoming a feeder promotion and decided against doing it anymore who knows. I'd love to see Alvarez in the UFC win or lose after his next fight there's some great match ups for him.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
    PoloRidah said:

What I don't understand is, it didn't seem like there was any frustration at all when it came to signing Lombard to the UFC. Now it seems like every fighter in Bellator with some hype behind their name is on a leash.

I know the UFC offered Lombard a pretty solid sum. Maybe Bellator simply didn't have the means to counter-offer, and there was nothing in his contract stopping him from leaving.
    Galvanik said:

PoloRidah said:

I know the UFC offered Lombard a pretty solid sum. Maybe Bellator simply didn't have the means to counter-offer, and there was nothing in his contract stopping him from leaving.
    You're probably right. The UFC probably put enough money up to prevent any kind of frustration. I wish they would of did the same with Eddie.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    UFC dosnt need a more boring, less-talented version of Fitch
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,372Free
    does anyone care if askren wants a title shot? stay in bellator we don't want to watch you

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,766Free
    edited October 2013
    Shields vs Askren is the fight that needs to happen. I won't watch it, but I'd be curious to hear who wins.
    Post edited by Cole1186 on
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    He should get GSP
    Good

Give him the shot
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • MrBisonMrBison Posts: 556Free
    He should get GSP
    **** it I wana see him fight GSP
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,188Free
    He should get GSP
    Dana won't get him a title shot because Askren will TKO GSP and ruin Dana's cash cow. Either way GSP will lose to Ben GOATKen.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,681Free
    edited October 2013
    Askren would never get immediate and Bjorn "Viacom" Rebney is the worst MMA head ive ever seen.
    Post edited by SteelerNation43 on
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Let him get exposed before he even things of getting beaten by the best.

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free
    bleacher report?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,645Free
    I agree on the Shields recommendation should Askren make it over to the UFC. Shields has made some comments about wanting another title shot (no way), and getting beat by Askren should shut that door for good. It would also make Askren look like a legitimate WW who belongs in the big leagues. If Shields won, it would put him another step forward on the (hopefully miles long) road to another title fight and prove that Askren was only good at dominating cans.