Alexander Gustaffson's career - how would you rate it at this point?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
Started off his career undefeated going into the UFC, but can't put too much into that since they were Swedish MMA fights vs. nobodies. After that, he got a few great early stoppage wins in the UFC and an early submission loss to Phil Davis (very good grappler so don't think that's too bad of a loss). Then stepped up in competition and beat guys like Shogun, Te Huna, and Hamill impressively. Now he's probably at his prime and just had a very respectable performance against p4p number 1. Minus the Davis submission loss, I'd say his career is about a 9 at this point. Lot of potential, just hasn't been able to get to the status of GSP/Silva type fighters yet, but ya never know
Tagged:

Comments

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    9 out of?
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • AnsemAnsem Posts: 3,836Free
    edited October 2013
    well he's the current lhw champ so....
    Post edited by Ansem on

| Machida - JDS - Penn - Belfort - Nurmagomedov - Texiera |

“I make my own odds. I make my own atmosphere.” - Vitor Belfort

"Sixty G's babyyy! haha yeah!" - Conor Mcgregoat

• StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,196Free
    So far so good but he won't hold LHW gold until Jon moves up to HW.

So far so good but he won't hold LHW gold until Jon moves up to HW.

Or we get new judges
    Gus lost. Deal wit it.
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,653Free
    Its also nowhere near a 9 yet.

He's 1-2 against top 10 guys.
  • Gamer9133Gamer9133 Posts: 2,537Free
    he got finished by davis but he is the current lhw champion

i would say 9/10

2014 is going to be a long year ^

< img src = " post link here " >

take out all the spaces except for between img src

If Gus is a 9 then Davis is a 10.
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,354Free
    8/10 My opinion changed after the Jones fight I admit I underrated him before that but I think Jones was also just exposed as no where near as good against guys more his size.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free

8/10 My opinion changed after the Jones fight I admit I underrated him before that but I think Jones was also just exposed as no where near as good against guys more his size.

I think that's where the difference lies with how people rate his career. I think Gus was always kicking ****, but people never put anything into him because they thought there's no way he's in Jones' league. Now that you combine him having a great career with seeing him being very competitive against Jones, his career is very impressive seeing he's only 26

I don't think the size was as much of an issue as people are making it out to be. I think Jon completely used the wrong strategy against Gus and Gus used the correct strategy and it still arguably wasn't enough. If Jon fights his best fight using the correct strategy he will finish Gus imo.
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free

Shogun was def top 10 at the time he fought Gus...Thiago Silva may have been top 10 at the time of their fight too

I don't think the size was as much of an issue as people are making it out to be. I think Jon completely used the wrong strategy against Gus and Gus used the correct strategy and it still arguably wasn't enough. If Jon fights his best fight using the correct strategy he will finish Gus imo.
    That's what I thought before the fight but Jones got beat imo and it just proved to me Jones looks very beatable when he can't scoop his opponents to the ground or stand miles out of reach and snipe his opponent from a safe distance.
    Bet Record- 76-43

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
    edited October 2013

That's what I thought before the fight but Jones got beat imo and it just proved to me Jones looks very beatable when he can't scoop his opponents to the ground or stand miles out of reach and snipe his opponent from a safe distance.
    The reach is a factor but it's not as big as people think. Gus strategy of hit and run boxing and keeping distance had more to do with his success than his reach did.

Jones didn't really try to press the takedowns much or use the clinch but when he did start pressing later in the fight and making it a dirty gritty in your face affair Gus showed signs of breaking.

I did see the same with Gus on the verge of breaking Jon early on and he can finish Jon if he turns up the pressure but the problem is if he does he'll open himself up to takedowns. The reason he was able to defend the few attempts Jon did is because he used defensive footwork to keep the distance, didn't kick much or commit on his punches. His whole striking game against Jon was designed to keep the distance and if he gets to close get on his bicycle and reset and Jon started figuring that out later and took advantage of it.

Another thing is Jon is in better shape than Gus. He can press harder for longer so when they fight again unless Gus clips him good early and pours it on for the finish while shutting Jon down from clinching or taking him down to recover i think Jon will press the fight, take over and eventually put enough pressure on Gus to finish him in the latter rounds.
    Post edited by StompGrind on
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,793Free
    Hes going to destroy anyone the ufc put in front of him
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• PakaLPakaL Posts: 4,072Elite
    edited October 2013
    He just mortalized the immortal dui dwi bones, no 1 could do as he did thus far. He should have the belt, he took beer bong bones out of his game and schooled him.
    Post edited by PakaL on
    HanDGuN kungFOO mixxed with AK karate(KiLLuminatti)

Belfort~EL GuapO~GraciE

Nemesis2Few^inspiration2many~Veni~Vidi~Vici~

Weidman,Moraga,Cormier,Scareface,MauleR,GingeR~BrownE&HondA HouseY all inspiring.

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    The Truth
    KingzombiE`aka`StundonG 2 Strong

The Notorious Conor Mcgregor ='s MMA's 2pac

Animated Gifs Animated Gifs

• PakaLPakaL Posts: 4,072Elite

The reach is a factor but it's not as big as people think. Gus strategy of hit and run boxing and keeping distance had more to do with his success than his reach did.

Jones didn't really try to press the takedowns much or use the clinch but when he did start pressing later in the fight and making it a dirty gritty in your face affair Gus showed signs of breaking.

I did see the same with Gus on the verge of breaking Jon early on and he can finish Jon if he turns up the pressure but the problem is if he does he'll open himself up to takedowns. The reason he was able to defend the few attempts Jon did is because he used defensive footwork to keep the distance, didn't kick much or commit on his punches. His whole striking game against Jon was designed to keep the distance and if he gets to close get on his bicycle and reset and Jon started figuring that out later and took advantage of it.

Another thing is Jon is in better shape than Gus. He can press harder for longer so when they fight again unless Gus clips him good early and pours it on for the finish while shutting Jon down from clinching or taking him down to recover i think Jon will press the fight, take over and eventually put enough pressure on Gus to finish him in the latter rounds.
    He did sort of resemble the natural born RUNNING MAN ,like he was training in new mexico.
    HanDGuN kungFOO mixxed with AK karate(KiLLuminatti)

Belfort~EL GuapO~GraciE

Nemesis2Few^inspiration2many~Veni~Vidi~Vici~

Weidman,Moraga,Cormier,Scareface,MauleR,GingeR~BrownE&HondA HouseY all inspiring.

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    The Truth
    KingzombiE`aka`StundonG 2 Strong

The Notorious Conor Mcgregor ='s MMA's 2pac

Animated Gifs Animated Gifs

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,220Free

PunchBag said:

UFC put Mousasi in front of him, doe, and I didn't see Mousasi destroyed
    I thought the athletic commission forced Gus out of that fight?
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,793Free

PunchBag said:

Why should he fight mous when he knew he could beat the champ
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,797Moderator, Ultimate
    At this moment id say hes been one of the best european mma fighters in the UFC ever
    imageimage
    Sisti said:

Shogun was def top 10 at the time he fought Gus...Thiago Silva may have been top 10 at the time of their fight too
    yea, Shoguns the 1 win.

and Thiago hadn't had a win in 3 years when he fought Gus.

Thiago was never a top 10 to begin with, or never deserved it.

I feel Jones didn't press the takedowns early because he realised he wasn't getting one when Gus was fresh, he didn't come close on any attempt till Gus became tired but he was already 3 rounds down and had been out worked, Jones was used to clinching up on the cage and using his size to over power them into a takedown on smaller opponents like Shogun, Lyoto, Rashad and Vitor most are MW's no way Jon makes that weightclass. I don't really like either I'm not a fan of Gus' hit and run style he does often and I'm now almost positive any top 5 HW would likely handle Jones if he moved up.
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image
  • TheBigDTheBigD Posts: 423Free
    His fight against Jones is by far the best performance he's ever had. He seems to improve rapidly, maybe even more so then Jones. Though I thought basically every round was debatable in the first fight Gus could easily take the second.

PoloRidah said:

PunchBag said:

"Doctor, I can't fight with this cut, can I? This is a serious issue! I guess it isn't safe to fight with this"

"Are you sure? Ok then, Gus, I'm forcing you out of this fight"

"Awww man, I wanted to fight Mousasi sooo hard"
    LoL!!

Do you honestly believe that Gus would duck Mousasi? A guy who has 1 win in the UFC against a guy who is now 0-1 in the UFC.

He just went to war with a guy who has been destroying that division and many people argue he won.

Nobody is ducking Mousasi.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

PunchBag said:

"Doctor, I can't fight with this cut, can I? This is a serious issue! I guess it isn't safe to fight with this"

LoL!!

Do you honestly believe that Gus would duck Mousasi? A guy who has 1 win in the UFC against a guy who is now 0-1 in the UFC.

He just went to war with a guy who has been destroying that division and many people argue he won.

I'm not arguing he would lose. I'm arguing he had no interest in that fight because he knew he could talk his way to a title shot.
    So Gus pulled out of the Mousasi fight purposely, in his home country in front of thousands of his fans, to talk his way into a title fight? Am I following you correctly?
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,797Moderator, Ultimate
    Mousasi is hit and miss with me. He goes from being spectalur to being underwhelming
    imageimage

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

PunchBag said:

LoL!!

I'm not arguing he would lose. I'm arguing he had no interest in that fight because he knew he could talk his way to a title shot.
    So Gus pulled out of the Mousasi fight purposely, in his home country in front of thousands of his fans, to talk his way into a title fight? Am I following you correctly?
    Yes, you are. And I might say: it worked quite well for him.
    LoL Intradasting train of thought you have on this subject.

To me it appears the commission officials over there were being a bunch of pansies and wouldn't let Gus fight. He had no reason to talk his way into a title fight.

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

I feel Jones didn't press the takedowns early because he realised he wasn't getting one when Gus was fresh, he didn't come close on any attempt till Gus became tired but he was already 3 rounds down and had been out worked, Jones was used to clinching up on the cage and using his size to over power them into a takedown on smaller opponents like Shogun, Lyoto, Rashad and Vitor most are MW's no way Jon makes that weightclass. I don't really like either I'm not a fan of Gus' hit and run style he does often and I'm now almost positive any top 5 HW would likely handle Jones if he moved up.
    I don't believe he was even concerned with takedowns at all early on and was out to prove something with his striking but he got out boxed with Gus's hit n run.

I'm confident he can take a fresh Gus down he just has to move forward and press the attack to get Gus to initiate then switch gears as Gus tries to counter strike. He can't force it but has to have some urgency to engage but still use proper distance, timing, non telegraphic set-ups and then quickly close and be relentless finishing it getting in deep on Gus hips. The key is he has to press the attack but be able to flow back and forth from strike to grapple or grapple to strike to keep Gus guessing. He has to confuse Gus to where he can't tell if he's striking or shooting and keep the pressure constant.

It will be tricky though because Gus will certainly try to keep distance & skirt around the outside to use the cage to aid his TDD and wall walk if he is taken down.

He could also play a more bait game where he purposely stays put in the center and allows Gus to come to him then interupts/intercepts Gus's attack and flows right into grappling. That might even work better for him early on to get Gus away from the cage and out of his bicycle routine.