JDS doesn't remember most of UFC 166, thought he got finished in the 2nd round

Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,527Free
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/21/4862316/ufc-166-report-junior-dos-santos-remember-second-round-velasquez-mma-news

In the main event of UFC 166, Junior dos Santos was battered by champion Cain Velasquez once again and was finally finished in the fifth round. But according to Combate (via Fighters Only), the former champ has no memory of most of the fight, and actually thought initially that his night had come to an end much earlier than it actually did:

Junior Dos Santos does not remember most of the UFC 166 fight with Cain Velasquez. Afterwards he was under the impression he had been knocked out in the second round. His corner believe he fought from round two onwards "on autopilot".

He also said while at the hospital that he didn't remember doing a post-fight interview with Joe Rogan. He did say afterwards that he was feeling okay though:

"I'm feeling good. I came to the hospital to have some stitches in the cut I had. The pain is only in the heart, because I didn't manage to give a good performance in the Octagon," he said in a message relayed via Combate.com

"Now it's time to go back to the gym and train, dedicate myself to come back stronger than ever and, who knows, some day dispute the championship again and be able to honor the support from everybody who believed in me."

Well... his corner should be shot for allowing him to receive permanent brain damage. He's 29 years old and took more of a beating in 2 fights then Chuck Liddell did during his entire career.
Tagged:

Comments

• Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,527Free
    He should probably sit the next year out and avoid fighting Cain Velasquez at all costs for the rest of his career.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,646Free
    He will probably take a long break before fighting again
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • jayzeejayzee Posts: 2,018Free
    He should have never asked for a rematch. God I hope he doesn't have brain damage. Cain is King!

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,873Free
    That is concerning, Like Dana said he is too tough for his own good.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,817Free
    Tahune said:

That is concerning, Like Dana said he is too tough for his own good.

He should be OK. That happened to me before, playing football, and look how I turned out!
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,795Moderator, Ultimate
    Man this cant be good for the long run of his career
    imageimage
  • HellequinHellequin In my car with the garage door closedPosts: 4,157Free
    Not being able to remember an extended period of time like that is really bad actually.
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,377Free
    They don't need to fight again. Cain has him figured out.

Hope JDS comes back strong though. I like his fights.
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,646Free
    edited October 2013
    NyteRyder said:

They don't need to fight again. Cain has him figured out.

Hope JDS comes back strong though. I like his fights.

This ^^^

Besides, Cain threw him a beating twice

He would have to do some amazing **** to get a title shot any time soon

By time he gets another shot Barnett will be the champion
    Post edited by WarWest on
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,567Free
    That's actually really scary. Junior's career might come to an early end due to health reasons and never being able to challenge for a belt as long as Cain is the champ.
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,377Free
    PATSTER said:

Watching JDS get beat down the way he did is the hardest thing I've ever had to watch in a UFC fight.

Such a nice guy, doesn't deserve it IMO.

I see what you're saying, but at the same time Junior was trying to KTFO Cain, so..
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • c_pumphreyc_pumphrey Posts: 929Free
    Wow I thought the fight should have been stopped in the 3rd
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,384Free
    Eh, it's kinda' scary, but that's happened to me a couple times, too and I'm okay (sorta'.) It's never good to get hit that hard, but if he's okay now, there's not going to be any delayed onset of brain damage.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,782Free
    edited October 2013

JDS needs Nick Diaz in his corner to throw in the towel when needed

althoguh nick doesnt throw the towel in until after you are face down on the canvas
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

Mangasm said:

PATSTER said:

Watching JDS get beat down the way he did is the hardest thing I've ever had to watch in a UFC fight.

Such a nice guy, doesn't deserve it IMO.

Nothing will ever be worse than seeing the look on JDS' face after getting booed by the **** mexican fans after the second Cain fight. That was some disgusting ****
    Most of those fans weren't Mexicans, they were Americans.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,020Free
    I literally hate his trainers who were cornering him.
    They should've thrown in the towel. I will keep saying that. You just have to draw a line at some point and make the brave decision to PROTECT your fighters health.
    whole career > 1 fight
    health > anything else

You won't ever get a more clear situation where the towel should've been thrown in in an MMA fight. JDS had been a punching bag for 10 straight rounds, rocked heavily, with a closed eye, exhausted and with literally zero ideas about how to deal with Cain.

It may be hard to make that call in a 3 round contest where a guy has had 2 bad rounds behind him. But not in a second 5 round fight where every effing round has looked exactly the same. But those damn latinos are too damn proud to admit defeat and make a manly decision.
    najma said:

They should've thrown in the towel. I will keep saying that. You just have to draw a line at some point and make the brave decision to PROTECT your fighters health.
    whole career > 1 fight
    health > anything else

You won't ever get a more clear situation where the towel should've been thrown in in an MMA fight. JDS had been a punching bag for 10 straight rounds, rocked heavily, with a closed eye, exhausted and with literally zero ideas about how to deal with Cain.

It may be hard to make that call in a 3 round contest where a guy has had 2 bad rounds behind him. But not in a second 5 round fight where every effing round has looked exactly the same. But those damn latinos are too damn proud to admit defeat and make a manly decision.

There is a saying, "puncher's chance". You have to figure JDS always has a chance for a one punch knockout.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,020Free

najma said:

whole career > 1 fight
    health > anything else

There is a saying, "puncher's chance". You have to figure JDS always has a chance for a one punch knockout.
    But that's the whole point, dude, duh. When do you value his health over the puncher's chance.
    Everybody has always a punchers chance, doh. But at some point you make a decision that it's not worth the permanent brain damage.

And then the corners do throw in the towel.
    Have you ever seen a white towel thrown in the octagon/ring?
    Guess what - that fighter still had a puncher's chance, duh.

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,873Free
    I flipped off a jetty when I was 16. Headbutted the wood and knocked myself out cold - luckily for me my mates pulled me out and i came to pretty quickly without breathing too much water.
    I remember being "not quite right" for a couple of months afterward though.

it's scary ****. You have to wonder what a prolonged beating on two separate occasions could do to you in the long run.

It can't be good
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
    najma said:

najma said:

whole career > 1 fight
    health > anything else

But that's the whole point, dude, duh. When do you value his health over the puncher's chance.
    Everybody has always a punchers chance, doh. But at some point you make a decision that it's not worth the permanent brain damage.

And then the corners do throw in the towel.
    Have you ever seen a white towel thrown in the octagon/ring?
    Guess what - that fighter still had a puncher's chance, duh.

Everyone can get lucky and throw a one punch knockout, but "puncher's chance" refers to someone with outstanding punching power. Do you think the corner didn't care about their fighter? Do you think they knew he had memory loss? I don't think JDS looked any worse at the start of round 5 then he did in 3 or 4. Whoever is so worried about fighters' brain damage shouldn't even be fans of the sport, because if you like brutal knockouts, but are worried about JDS, you are a hypocrite.
  • MrBisonMrBison Posts: 553Free
    Its not permanent brain damage you troll.. No fighter ever remembers everything from a fight even if they are dominating, simply because of all the adrenaline rush. And no one ever remembers getting KO'd. JDS took a lot of damage so I would have been surprised if he remembered the whole thing. This is not a sign of brain damage.
    MrBison said:

Its not permanent brain damage you troll.. No fighter ever remembers everything from a fight even if they are dominating, simply because of all the adrenaline rush. And no one ever remembers getting KO'd. JDS took a lot of damage so I would have been surprised if he remembered the whole thing. This is not a sign of brain damage.

I agree that he's trolling, but the reason you lose consciousness is because your brain has been damaged. It might not be permanent, but it is brain trauma, and brain damage.
  • MrBisonMrBison Posts: 553Free

MrBison said:

I agree that he's trolling, but the reason you lose consciousness is because your brain has been damaged. It might not be permanent, but it is brain trauma, and brain damage.
    yeah ok I see what you're saying. But the OP was implying that it was permanent brain damage.
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    I really hope JDS doesn't sustain permanent brain damage from that fight, he did get rocked a ton of times. I wish him a speedy recovery.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    Hellequin said:

Not being able to remember an extended period of time like that is really bad actually.

fairly standard with concussions. His memory might or might not come back. The more concerning bit here is that he was checked by doctors more than once and they let him continue
  • TheSinisterUrgeTheSinisterUrge Posts: 920Free
    When one eye was swollen shut and the other had blood gushing into it, the doctor should have stopped it.