Why are people discounting Werdum?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
edited October 2013 in UFC
The dude has the biggest win of all-time by beating Fedor in his prime and also gave Overeem a ton of problems when Overeem was likely on PEDs and at his best. He's also been doing very well in the UFC and has been a huge name for a long time. I really don't see how people are looking past him, especially after much more dominant champs like Silva and Jones have just shown that anyone can lose at any time
Post edited by sobercorrupt on

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,265Free

Werdum sucks.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• keykey Posts: 371Free
    Sisti said:

The dude has the biggest win of all-time by beating Fedor in his prime and also gave Overeem a ton of problems when Overeem was likely on PEDs and at his best. He's also been doing very well in the UFC and has been a huge name for a long time. I really don't see how people are looking past him, especially after much more dominant champs like Silva and Jones have just shown that anyone can lose at any time

Lol I liked the jones bit. The thing with Werdum is that I don't think he will beat either Cain or JDS. Cain does not have to go to the ground with him and JDS has good enough striking and TDD to get another KO. He certainly is the dark horse for the title I would say though.
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,640Free
    I don't see him posing much of a threat to Cain but I'd never discount anyone good enough to make it on the UFC roster. I think Cain would smother Werdum against the fence and on the ground and win via decision or late round TKO. Werdum's BJJ is way ahead of Cain's, but in an MMA context I believe Cain's BJJ is good enough to defend against any sub attempts.

Never say never though. Imagine Werdum landing a big knee in the clinch then subbing Cain on the ground. I don't know if Cain could take a Werdum knee to the face like Roy Nelson did. That was brutal.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,038Free
    Because people don't realize that beating the 1-dimensional 1 trick pony boxer in JDS means ****.
    Styles make fights and Werdum has a far better skillset to fight Cain than almost anybody before.

• najmanajma Posts: 2,038Free
    PATSTER said:

That **** 1 trick pony JDS made Wedrum crap to strikes you ****ing idiot.

Yup.
    And that 1 trick pony looked clueless against Cain as if he was James Toney.
    Styles make fights.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    edited October 2013
    werdum will get destroyed in the clinch and on the feet but unlike jds he wont survive more than 2 rounds
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    cain didnt really take jds down in the 3rd fight he didnt have to and he wont have to take werdum down either
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• skillandpowerskillandpower Posts: 819Free
    Hmm .. I do believe Werdum will fight smarter than JDS did but not enough to beat the beast !

I would go as far as saying that Cain will NOT wrestle against Werdum (Cain is very smart) and I will not be shocked Cain gets it by TKO round 2.
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,800Moderator, Ultimate
    Werdum has been improving greatly standing and his ground game is the best. Unfortunately cain has sharper striking and is smart enough to avoid the ground
    imageimage
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,364Free
    I like Werdum the Overeem fight was a disappointment but I think Overeem was juicing back then if he can get it to the ground he has a legit chance at submitting Cain but Velasquez will keep it standing so he's probably going to get pinned against the cage and finished with strikes.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    PATSTER said:

I'd love for someone to tell me what Werdum brings to the table that could stop a beating like the one Cain put on JDS.

Cain can smash Werdum the same way he did to JDS and it will be a lot easier. Buttscooting doesn't win fights.

He's an underdog, but after Silva and Jones' last 2 fights (and they were undisputed top 2 p4p) it's pretty obvious that any fighter could lose at any time. People want to consistently think that a division is cleared out, but there's always tough new matchups, and certain people who are going through huge improvements. Werdum's been extremely talented for a long time, and seems to be at another level in the last few years. Also, Cain's weakness is jiu-jitsu and if he could take Cain down it could be a very different matchup
    PATSTER said:

Sisti said:

PATSTER said:

I'd love for someone to tell me what Werdum brings to the table that could stop a beating like the one Cain put on JDS.

Cain can smash Werdum the same way he did to JDS and it will be a lot easier. Buttscooting doesn't win fights.

He's an underdog, but after Silva and Jones' last 2 fights (and they were undisputed top 2 p4p) it's pretty obvious that any fighter could lose at any time. People want to consistently think that a division is cleared out, but there's always tough new matchups, and certain people who are going through huge improvements. Werdum's been extremely talented for a long time, and seems to be at another level in the last few years. Also, Cain's weakness is jiu-jitsu and if he could take Cain down it could be a very different matchup
    Cain's only weakness is fighting a powerful striker in striking distance. Now that he has a gameplan to counter that and fight close in the clinch, He probably won't be beat anytime soon. Especially not by Werdum. No way Werdum takes him down.
    I see Cain as a huge favorite in that fight too...I'm just saying that Cain is a somewhat new champion so I don't see how people act like he can't be beaten...when you are consistently fighting the best guys in the world, every opponent has a shot
    PATSTER said:

Sisti said:

PATSTER said:

Sisti said:

PATSTER said:

Cain's only weakness is fighting a powerful striker in striking distance. Now that he has a gameplan to counter that and fight close in the clinch, He probably won't be beat anytime soon. Especially not by Werdum. No way Werdum takes him down.
    I see Cain as a huge favorite in that fight too...I'm just saying that Cain is a somewhat new champion so I don't see how people act like he can't be beaten...when you are consistently fighting the best guys in the world, every opponent has a shot
    Because JDS is the second best Heavyweight of all time and Cain just destroyed him.
    I agree with that, but I'm just saying that styles make fights and we've seen many times that any fighter could lose

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free
    Werdum ****ing sucks......thats the bottom line

Overeem, a pure striker stuffed all his takedowns with ease

Werdum is a joke....this is an easier fight than the Bigfoot fight, at least Bigfoot had a punchers chance.....Werdum has nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • chonschons Posts: 3,366Free
    I just don't think Werdum has much to offer Cain, Cain is amazing IMO. The Jones comparison doesn't work for me, Jones is perhaps the most over hyped fighter in the history of the sport. Could Cain get clipped like Silva? Sure, but I highly doubt it, he proved that twice in DOMINATING fashion against JDS.
    The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, & breeds reptiles of the mind.

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free

Because Werdum is a can.

Why don't you cut him then?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,723Free

Because Werdum is a can.

I like dat ish
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • chonschons Posts: 3,366Free
    PATSTER said:

chons said:

I just don't think Werdum has much to offer Cain, Cain is amazing IMO. The Jones comparison doesn't work for me, Jones is perhaps the most over hyped fighter in the history of the sport. Could Cain get clipped like Silva? Sure, but I highly doubt it, he proved that twice in DOMINATING fashion against JDS.

I hope you're not insinuating that the first JDS-Cain fight was lucky.

Cain stayed JDS' preferred striking range and paid for it.
    Not at all, Cain paid the price of playing JDS' game. No luck at all.

The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, & breeds reptiles of the mind.

• cruz2990cruz2990 MexicoPosts: 8,116Free
    edited October 2013

Because Werdum is a can.

lol whats up can?
    Post edited by cruz2990 on
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Sigbet record: 50 - 4

• GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,803Free
    Speed kills. Werdum is no where close to Cain's speed.
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free

Hmm .. I do believe Werdum will fight smarter than JDS did but not enough to beat the beast !

I would go as far as saying that Cain will NOT wrestle against Werdum (Cain is very smart) and I will not be shocked Cain gets it by TKO round 2.

Though i believe JDS beats Werdum 9 out of 10 times, Jds wasted a shitload of energy avoiding the Takedown, Werdum will be able to concentrate on the standup, with no fear of being taken down,Cain doesnt want this fight on the ground, For success cain will push him up against the fence, dirty box,some clinch work,and very little room for Werdum to use his Muey.Thai.Werdums best chance is to fight in the m
  • therien87therien87 Posts: 354Free
    way too slow. had a hard time striking with big nog.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    I think the key factor is his last fight versus Nog he looked really bad,it was a case of two lousy fighters locking up to a borefest.
    No JDS did not waste energy on TD's those attempts by Cain were weak at best,similar to the weak attempt Hendo did on Silva.Basically put your hands on the guy and if it doesn't feel super easy,give up on it.These guys are not stupid ,they know how much energy a TD takes out of you,so if it does not feel easy to come by,they won't pursue it any further.

Werdum would not be a huge threat to Cain because BJJ works best on tired or injured fighters and Cain won't be either.JDS would be a tough fight as well because he stays away so Werdum is not going to pull off any BJJ there either.Werdum is simply a dangerous fighter with some stand up but he is not in JDS or Cain's league.
    Now on the other hand DC is and could beat either on any given night.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • Brent555Brent555 Posts: 3,099Free
    Werdum is completely outclassed in every area except Jits, and unless Cain wants the fight to go to the ground then there is no way Werdum is taking him down there. It's hard not to discount somebody when they offer almost nothing to their opponent.
    boxing@boxing.nv.gov <boxing@boxing.nv.gov>

This is the e-mail belonging to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Any complaints due to poor judging should be directed to them. Let your voice be heard
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,640Free
    Sisti said:

I agree with that, but I'm just saying that styles make fights and we've seen many times that any fighter could lose

That's the most important part. I don't think anyone here would say that Cain isn't a huge favorite for this match up. It's just important to never count anyone out. I didn't think Weidman was going to beat Silva, and I certainly never thought Bigfoot would beat Overeem. I thought Melendez would run through Diego Sanchez last Saturday and that didn't happen.

Werdum will be a huge underdog against Cain but that doesn't mean he doesn't bring some interesting things for this fight.

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,589Free
    Werdum has a better chance than anyone else in the HW divison right now. That's not saying a lot but he's definitely the guy Cain should be fighting next.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,265Free
    edh1 said:

Though i believe JDS beats Werdum 9 out of 10 times, Jds wasted a shitload of energy avoiding the Takedown, Werdum will be able to concentrate on the standup, with no fear of being taken down,Cain doesnt want this fight on the ground, For success cain will push him up against the fence, dirty box,some clinch work,and very little room for Werdum to use his Muey.Thai.Werdums best chance is to fight in the m
    Dude Cain isn't GSP, he will have no issues with taking Werdum down. He won't be scared to fight with him there.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,984Free
    Cain by Hendo like flying punch as Werdum tries to buttscoot.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun