Retired fighters you believe could still be competitive if they returned...

ijosefijosef Posts: 1,636Free
Even though I often argue against the idea that Fedor is the greatest fighter of all time, I stand by the assertion I've made in recent threads. Even though Emelianenko isn't as spry as he was during his PRIDE heyday, I believe he could come back and be competitive in a different division. Fedor seemed to rely more and more on big haymaker punches later in his career and we didn't see his Sambo skills as often. I think if he rededicated himself to his career, got into a high level training camp (even if that meant coming to the states - something he probably would never do), and cut down to 205 (or even 185), he could still be competitive. True, he just turned 37, but I think he could be one of those guys who could fight 'til he's 40+ like Matyushenko.

Chuck Liddell. Don't laugh here - I honestly believe Chuck still had it when he retired. Chin? Gone, of course. That was his downfall. He looked absolutely incredible in his last fight against Rich Franklin. He was in great shape and was clearly winning the first round. Unfortunately, he did the same thing that proved to be his undoing. He rushes in headfirst, hands down, gets tapped on the chin and his lights get turned out. I believe he would've had a better chance winning his later fights (against Shogun for instance) if he'd relied on his wrestling and protected his chin at all costs. Chuck was a great wrestler, which is something you usually don't hear about since he was known primarily for his KO power. He would've needed to dramatically change his fighting style (something he clearly wasn't willing to do), but I believe he could've won some of his last fights, avoided brutal knockouts, and perhaps even be active today.

Bork. I know I'm going to get flamed for this one, but I've always been a Lesnar fanboy and it is Brocktober, after all. If he actually got his passion back for MMA, changed camps (and let people spar with him for real this time), he could be a fixture in the UFC's heavyweight division again. He wouldn't be in the title mix, but he'd probably mix wins and losses much like Cheik Kongo did. I think he'd be a decent gatekeeper and you know he'd be a PPV draw.

Gina Carano. She left arguably during her prime for a hollywood career. I can't blame her for that, but if she came back she could still be competitive in WMMA. She was one of the best and I think it wouldn't take much for her to get back to the top of the heap. She could never make 135 again (she did it once at the beginning of her career then started missing weight even at 140), so the UFC would have to create a 145 division. Even though Dana White says he's a long, long way from adding another women's division, we all know darn well that if Carano wanted to come back he'd be falling over himself to open up a women's 145 class.

So, who do you think could come back and still fight at a pro level?
Tagged:

Comments

• JonBonesJonesFanJonBonesJonesFan Posts: 13,363Free
    Nice post.

I'd think Matt Hughes (if he truly is retired) could still compete. he'd never be a title contender again but he'd beat some good people.
    The GOAT Rain_Wizard slapped the taste out of my mouth.

LyGOATo MachiGOD and Go to Guy made Gegard Mousasi and me their wife for five rounds
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,793Free
    nick diaz
    fedor
    mark coleman
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• skillandpowerskillandpower Posts: 819Free
    I think Brock would be a nice asset to HW division today IF he gets a decent camp/team.

Another guy you forgot to mention is Sharwin. I wish he was back on the host (not sure how is his health tho)

I would like to see Mirko at 205 against a top 10 !

All the three guys I mentioned MUST be with a serious camp
    bj penn
    "Believe in the beard"

• najmanajma Posts: 2,023Free
    PunchBag said:

mark coleman

LOLWUT? He is like 50 years old and last time around he was slower than the 47yo Randy.

najma said:

PunchBag said:

mark coleman

LOLWUT? He is like 50 years old and last time around he was slower than the 47yo Randy.

lol no idea how that one slipped in there ;)
    "Believe in the beard"

• kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,659Free
    Fedor would be a beast at LHW. He'd be competitive at HW too, but probably never get to the top. This is one guy who def retired too early.

Nick Diaz

Shane Carwin

• TheBigDTheBigD Posts: 423Free
    Carwin
    Diaz
    Lesnar
    Frank Shamrock
    Don Frye
    & Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutten
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,227Free
    tl;dr

but for the title i'd say carwin and bj and even chuck (against some)

PunchBag said:

bj penn

I doubt it. He's 1-5 in his last 6 fights.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,023Free
    TheBigD said:

& Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutten

Yeah right, especially as he almost doesn't have his right arm anymore.

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,286Free

I think Brock would be a nice asset to HW division today IF he gets a decent camp/team.

Another guy you forgot to mention is Sharwin. I wish he was back on the host (not sure how is his health tho)

I would like to see Mirko at 205 against a top 10 !

All the three guys I mentioned MUST be with a serious camp

sharwin wtf?

you mean carwin? lol

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,240Free
    Sharwin could be champ
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,944Free
    Dan The Beast Severn could still beat some Heavyweights but would never make it to the top.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,048Premium
    Chuck should have adjusted his game afer the Jardine loss, not the shogun loss, it was too late by then.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
    tito
    "Believe in the beard"

bas rutten
    "Believe in the beard"

• onyx838onyx838 Posts: 25Free
    Bas Rutten, nick diaz, Shane Carwin, Frank shamrock at WW.

Matt Hughes

Hughes could be competitive as long as he doesn't try to box with people.

Also, if he could make LW, maybe he'd have a strength advantage like he used to...
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free
    ijosef said:

Even though I often argue against the idea that Fedor is the greatest fighter of all time, I stand by the assertion I've made in recent threads. Even though Emelianenko isn't as spry as he was during his PRIDE heyday, I believe he could come back and be competitive in a different division. Fedor seemed to rely more and more on big haymaker punches later in his career and we didn't see his Sambo skills as often. I think if he rededicated himself to his career, got into a high level training camp (even if that meant coming to the states - something he probably would never do), and cut down to 205 (or even 185), he could still be competitive. True, he just turned 37, but I think he could be one of those guys who could fight 'til he's 40+ like Matyushenko.

Chuck Liddell. Don't laugh here - I honestly believe Chuck still had it when he retired. Chin? Gone, of course. That was his downfall. He looked absolutely incredible in his last fight against Rich Franklin. He was in great shape and was clearly winning the first round. Unfortunately, he did the same thing that proved to be his undoing. He rushes in headfirst, hands down, gets tapped on the chin and his lights get turned out. I believe he would've had a better chance winning his later fights (against Shogun for instance) if he'd relied on his wrestling and protected his chin at all costs. Chuck was a great wrestler, which is something you usually don't hear about since he was known primarily for his KO power. He would've needed to dramatically change his fighting style (something he clearly wasn't willing to do), but I believe he could've won some of his last fights, avoided brutal knockouts, and perhaps even be active today.

Bork. I know I'm going to get flamed for this one, but I've always been a Lesnar fanboy and it is Brocktober, after all. If he actually got his passion back for MMA, changed camps (and let people spar with him for real this time), he could be a fixture in the UFC's heavyweight division again. He wouldn't be in the title mix, but he'd probably mix wins and losses much like Cheik Kongo did. I think he'd be a decent gatekeeper and you know he'd be a PPV draw.

Gina Carano. She left arguably during her prime for a hollywood career. I can't blame her for that, but if she came back she could still be competitive in WMMA. She was one of the best and I think it wouldn't take much for her to get back to the top of the heap. She could never make 135 again (she did it once at the beginning of her career then started missing weight even at 140), so the UFC would have to create a 145 division. Even though Dana White says he's a long, long way from adding another women's division, we all know darn well that if Carano wanted to come back he'd be falling over himself to open up a women's 145 class.

I think Kenny Florian still has something left, he did Ok against Aldo, and still has those horrible elbows
  • iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,161Free
    I think Sean Sherk would still wreck some 155ers out there today if he came back.

His only losses in his long resume are to Hughes, GSP, BJ, and Edgar. All champions
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 49-37

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free
    PATSTER said:

STOP TALKING ABOUT FEDOR NOBODY GIVES A ****

Some of the crap that comes up in this Forum is a lot more annoying than Fedor talk.What are you the thread cop?m
  • ShuberlingShuberling Posts: 11,603Free
    Chris Lytle
    Makin' movies, makin' songs and fightin' round the world!

Thiago Alves = UFC WW Champion of 2014/15!!!

Costa Philippou is a boss! ... And also, he looks like a Columbian drug lord :)

My MMA record = 3-1 (Semi pro) Battle Arena British Featherweight champion

I am more powerful than any sith lord to grace the universe, I by myself murdered the career of the G.O.A.T, Anderson "The Spider" Silva! Join the darkside!

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,048Premium
    Chuck would **** Jones up so bad if he was just given his chin back. At least he wouldn't be frozen scared like Rampage was.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,564Free
    WarWest said:

Nick Diaz

Chris Lytle

this^^
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

edh1 said:

ijosef said:

I think Kenny Florian still has something left, he did Ok against Aldo, and still has those horrible elbows
    forgot about Florian. He would still be top 5 in either FW or LW, imho.