What are some of your best/worst predictions for UFC fights?

Sephiroth388Sephiroth388 Antioch, TennesseePosts: 830Free
The purpose of this thread is to share those big upsets that you called to get props, and to share the fights you were dead wrong about so everyone can laugh at your terrible choices. We've all had a few.

Called the winner:

Chris Leben over Wanderlei Silva: Everyone I knew laughed at me when I told them my pick. I assured them that Silva wouldn't be able to resist getting into a slugfest, and Chris's chin would make the difference. I didn't predict it would take 20 seconds.

Chris Weidman over Anderson Silva: I not only picked the winner and round, but told all my friends that the guy that beat Silva wouldn't do it on the ground, but would be the one that caught him dancing in a standup exchange.

Forrest Griffin over Rampage Jackson: I couldn't figure out at the time why everyone thought Forrest had no chance. I guess later on I found out why.

Keith Jardine over Chuck Liddell: I knew Chuckie would have a hard time dealing with Jardine's unorthodox striking and angles. Probably the biggest upset I had called up to that point.

Rashad Evans over Chuck Liddell: I lived in Atlanta at the time and almost went to this event. I saw Rashad mostly controlling the action and winning the decision. I never imagined it would end the way it did. This fight was the official retirement of Chuck's chin.

Matt Serra over GSP (first fight): Serra was too big of an underdog to pass up. Everyone seemed to forget he was a former UFC fighter, and they passed him off as a nobody that simply won a reality show.

Jon Jones over Mauricio Rua: I didn't think Shogun had a chance in this fight coming off surgery, with a short notice opponent change. I was still blown away by how one-sided it was.

Bigfoot/Browne over Overeem: I saw Alistair as being overconfident against Silva and knew he would pay. Overeem scared me for a moment versus Browne, but Travis came back and saved my pick.

Junior Dos Santos over Cain Velasquez (first fight): Everyone I knew picked Cain. I found out why in future matchups. More on that later...

Dead farking wrong:

Junior Dos Santos over Cain Velasquez (second and third fight): I saw Junior defending the takedowns, and finishing Cain by the third round both times. Nope.

Brock Lesnar over Cain Velasquez: I saw Cain as a future champion, but thought Brock would get through him and get blasted by Junior. Didn't quite happen that way.

Chael Sonnen over Anderson Silva (both fights): Chael almost made me look like I knew what I was talking about in the first fight before his baffling lack of triangle defense reared its ugly head. Second fight Chael made a fatal error, and Anderson was more than happy to take advantage.

Tito Ortiz over Rashad Evans: Tito's desire to get right back in the cage after his whopping one win in the last seven years fooled me. I guess I forgot he's still Tito Ortiz. Maybe he just had a fractured skull...

Stephen Bonnar over Anderson Silva: I know, I know. I really thought Bonnar could take enough punishment to hang in there long enough to land his shots. Possibly my worst prediction.

Diego Sanchez over B.J. Penn: I saw B.J. controlling the first three rounds, and Diego taking over from there. I suppose I was half right.

That's all I can think of for now. Share yours, and feel free to make fun of me for some of my bad picks. I know I've had my share.

Comments

• skillandpowerskillandpower Posts: 803Free
    Oh man lol I had a few bad calls too (the tops ones I remember):

* I said Shogun was going to beat Jones by TKO round 1 or 2

* Brock was going to demolish Cain

* Diaz was going to UD GSP (I dont even like Diaz)

* Wandy was going to beat Rampage in similar fashion like he did in Pride

Good calls

Actually a lot of good calls like Gus would give a lot of trouble to Jones and Bader a lot of trouble to Glover as a lot od ppl were saying they were going to destroy their opponents
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,220Free
    silva killing weidman: def. my worst prediction
    gustafson getting manhandled by jones

condit over kampann: i predicted a 4th round t.k.o
    hendo over fedor: i predicted a k.o

those are my two of the best examples

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,534Free
    Best- definitely Kelvin/Hall. Everyone was on Halls jock and I called that overrated can for what he was.... an overrated can. That one was extra great because I loved Kelvin for being such a real, humble guy and hated Hall for being the Dbag he is. Plus Kelvin was a huge betting underdog and the much smaller fighter.

Worst- bet some guy at work 50 bucks that Forest would beat Andy lololololololol
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• CarlosBelcherCarlosBelcher Posts: 375Free
    + James head over Abedi, i predicted he'd smoke him in the first just as the fight started
    + Belcher over Palhares, i jokingly said he'd sub him but still he whooped dat ****

- Wiman over Grant, i thought he'd take a grinding win
    - Koreshkov over Askren
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,061Free
    Werdum over Fedor
    Rashad over Rampage by wall n stall
    Machida falling off when everybody was drinking his pee pee
    and Lesnar over Carwin

vvv

http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/59340/it-s-official-brock-vs-carwin-is-a-retirement-match
    My milk shake bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like "Hondas **** is bigger than yours, damn right its bigger than yours." Step to the GOAT 12er and get clapped up knee grows.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147483/the-official-anderson-silva-got-ktfo-5-stages-of-grief-thread/p1

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,140Free
    I actually thought Machida was going to finish Shogun in the first fight. LoL.

I thought Anderson Silva was going to KO Chris Weidman in the first fight. LoL.

I thought BigFoot would beat Cain in the first fight. LOL.

I thought Ed Herman would beat Jacare. LoL.

I thought Belcher was going to KO Michael Bisping. LoL.

I thought Joe Lauzon was going to have a field day on Michael Johnson. LoL.

I thought Gray Maynard was going to beat Frankie Edger in the third fight. LoL.

Those are probably my worst "I think this fighter is going to win" predictions as of right now. If I actually thought about it for like 30 minutes I can get a lot more but ain't nobody got time fo dat.

As for predicting fighters to win...

Pettis vs Cowboy/Smooth

Pettis via Headkick KO against J-Lau

Grant over Dunham/Wiman

Shane Roller over Thiago Tavares

Josh Thomson vs Nate Diaz

Ben Henderson vs Jim Miller

Jim Miller vs LOL Oliveria

Carlos Condit vs Nick Diaz

Mighty Mouse vs Miguel Torres

Cigano over Cain the first fight...And the last two fights too which did not end well.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,328Free
    Bad predictions

Gus vs Jones I underestimated Gus way to much

Silva vs Weidman I thought Silva would come to fight not dance

Sonnen vs Shogun I thought Shogun would submit Sonnen not the other way round

There's more to

Good predictions

Kampmann beating Ellenberger via 2nd round tko won me some money on a bet

Big Foot finishing Overeem I admit I didn't call this until the end of the first round but I said to my friend he's letting Overeem gas himself then he will touch that glass chin and put him away

Wanderlei beating Stann he was a big underdog on here and most places but I had a feeling he'd win didn't expect the KO tho

JDS KOing Mir 2nd round

Mcgregor beating Brimage on his debut before most of the hype didn't expect him to get a first round finish

And more
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,782Free
    edited October 2013
    all bad predictions

rockhold vs vitor
    silva vs weidman
    okami vs jacare
    benson vs pettis
    diaz vs gsp
    penn vs macdonald
    cain vs jds 3
    macdonald vs ellenberger
    belcher vs bisping
    penn vs edgar
    sanchez vs penn
    hardy vs gsp
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• prozacnationprozacnation Posts: 856Ultimate
    worst was changing my pick the night that couture beat Gonzaga had couture for weeks changed it to gabe day of the fights
    Ufc events I have been too

76, 79,86,90,92,95,100,102,104,108,114,118,121,125,130 , 135, 137, 139

Versus 2, 145,146,148, fox 4, 155, 156, 157, 160 162,166, 168, 171

Up next 173 and 175 vegas

151 dead !!! Thank you ufc
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,533Free
    My best predictions are still to come when I get my prediction belt back ;)
    But seriously there are many good predictions from me I can't tell which one was the best!!!

My 2 worst were definitely and without a doubt... Roy Nelson vs Stipe and Roy Nelson vs DC (DC vs BC weren't fighting tho, it was more like the ultimate cuddle championships)
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• Sephiroth388Sephiroth388 Antioch, TennesseePosts: 830Free

My best predictions are still to come when I get my prediction belt back ;)
    But seriously there are many good predictions from me I can't tell which one was the best!!!

My 2 worst were definitely and without a doubt... Roy Nelson vs Stipe and Roy Nelson vs DC (DC vs BC weren't fighting tho, it was more like the ultimate cuddle championships)

I knew Cormier would get the decision versus Big Country, but I definitely picked Nelson to K.O. Miocic and was appalled by his performance. He looked like they found a chubby homeless guy to challenge a pro fighter.

A few more predictions:

Thiago Alves over Matt Hughes

Martin Kampmann over Thiago Alves: Can't remember if this was considered much of an upset, but with one minute left, and Alves well in control, I said Martin would still pull it out. A few seconds later, he had his arm raised in triumph.

And a few more disasters:

Big Nog over Cain Velasquez (Maybe I should stop predicting Cain's fights...)

Roy Nelson over Frank Mir

Mark Munoz over Chris Weidman

It's kind of fun remembering my terrible picks.
  • BanduraBandura Posts: 1,453Free
    totally took bader over jones, thought he'd be too strong. Whoops.

I was also scared ****less fedor was gonna ko hendo

All hail the Dark sith ruler, Darth Shubeous!
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,966Free
    Best/Favorite call

Silva > Stann err body doubted that PRIDE Wand would show up in Japan.

Worst call

Shogun > Cheal. That was **** pathetic I got no other way to describe this.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,782Free
    i had wandy in the stan fight, was an awesome feeling seeing pride wandy come out and ko someone in japan
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,534Free
    edited October 2013

Worst call

Saw that one in person and it was epic. The whole crowd was stunned.
    Post edited by Omoplataypus on
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,136Free

Worst call

Saw that one in person and it was epic. The whole crowd was stunned.
    It was an epic moment.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,646Free
    I though GSP was going to finish Dan Hardy
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    Some of my favorites are Wandy > Le and Wandy > Stann.

Both times Wandy was called a glass chin clown that was going to get KTFO and both times he went Pride style and KTFO some nigs.

Some of my worst are Weidman < Silva. I was 99.9% confident Silva would steamroll Weidman in vintage GOAT fashion. Also Jones < Shogun...I seriously thought Shogun was going to put on a muay thai clinic.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • cg25cg25 Posts: 27Free
    Not so much a wrong winner prediction but by far my biggest surprise was how lame the Condit vs Diaz fight was. I really thought that might have been the Melendez vs Sanchez type fight of the decade. Still kinda shocked how **** it was
    I thought Stann was going to put Wanderlei out of his misery.
    Thought Anderson would k,o Weidman
    Had Fitch dominating everyone in wsof
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    I was shocked at how bad Belcher looked versus Bisping.Not like we could possibly know how a fighter is feeling or what kind of shape they are in for a fight,so in essence we are always guessing.Sometimes as fans we also see the obvious,yet the fighter continues to fight to his weakness,makes you wonder wtf the guy is thinking.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
    But Chael did beat Anderson.......
    zaksame said:

I was shocked at how bad Belcher looked versus Bisping.Not like we could possibly know how a fighter is feeling or what kind of shape they are in for a fight,so in essence we are always guessing.Sometimes as fans we also see the obvious,yet the fighter continues to fight to his weakness,makes you wonder wtf the guy is thinking.

I felt the same way. Belcher didn't do **** that fight but stand still and get punched in the face. Usually he has nice kicks, good footwork and mixes it up idk wtf he was doing that night.
  • mutharashamutharasha Posts: 692Free
    I called Travis Browne's comeback midway through his Overeem fight. Felt like a boss. But I also thought GSP would finish Nick Diaz lol
    #StillRallyingForMarkHunt

UFC 160 = the night Kiwis will fly.

The Kuddles Krew yo - Vitor ''The Phenom'' Belfort, Chael Sonnen, TJ Dillashaw, Frankie ''The Answer'' Edgar, Pat ''HD'' Barry, Erik Perez, Darrell Montague, Robert Drysdale, Charles ''Do Bronx'' Oliveira, Thiago Silva

FABIO!

Survivor Series 1 Runner Up (boy crie :'((((((((( )

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,760Ultimate
    Thought Belcher was gonna smash Okami. I guess after the Palhares fight he looked like Superman
    UFC Community account: _Josh_