UFC Need to Change?

Jason_H2Jason_H2 Posts: 9,578Free
edited October 2013 in UFC
Somethings obviously not working. Prelims are all televised now, they're on Fox, WMMA, a lot more free cards, and they're putting together their biggest possible drawing fights for the title in each division right now (Aldo/Zombie, Bendo/Pettis 2, Cain/JDS 3) so why are the numbers slipping.

UFC 161 Rashad/Henderson - 150,000
UFC 162 Silva/Weidman - 550,000
UFC 163 Aldo/KZ - 180,000
UFC 164 Henderson/Pettis - 270,000
UFC 165 Jones/Gus - 300,000
UFC 166 Cain/JDS 3 - 350,000
Lowest TUF ratings since EVER

I know it's not the best example with boxing slipping the last decade as well but should the UFC model it's PPVs more after boxing. (More free cards and reserving it's PPV's more for superfights and not as frequent)
Post edited by Jason_H2 on

I don't always bet on fights, but when I do, I make sure I'm guaranteed to lose

Tagged:

Comments

• MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,883Free
    More people are streaming the events now
  • Jason_H2Jason_H2 Posts: 9,578Free
    MilesGun said:

More people are streaming the events now

some fights must be watch on 1080p quality. 350,000 for Cain/JDS 3 is just turrible

• FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    I think the issue is that there are too many events (not that I'm complaining I love this sport). I'm sure that people can't just take entire weekends off to watch UFC every weekend, not to mention watch on Wednesday nights during the work week. I hate that they have those events during the work week on Wednesday let alone on a channel I refuse to upgrade my cable package by $45 dollars to have.

Luckily I can always make it to BWWs to watch UFC on Saturdays, but I'm sure not as many people are as fortunate.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
    FroZeN said:

I think the issue is that there are too many events (not that I'm complaining I love this sport). I'm sure that people can't just take entire weekends off to watch UFC every weekend, not to mention watch on Wednesday nights during the work week. I hate that they have those events during the work week on Wednesday let alone on a channel I refuse to upgrade my cable package by $45 dollars to have.

Luckily I can always make it to BWWs to watch UFC on Saturdays, but I'm sure not as many people are as fortunate.

these are pretty much my thoughts ^^^ but than again if the UFC was a big enough draw it wouldn't matter what other programming it's up against on a wednessday. Football for example still dominates no matter what else it's up against. And i honestly don't know the last card i ordered as opposed to watching at BWWs. I didn't have to pay that much to upgrade but i understand if people didn't want to

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 35,218Free
    Stream
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    They need like 10 more conor mcgregors. Dana need to be sellin more wolf tickets. Injuries haven't even been that bad this year.

• PakaLPakaL GlitniRPosts: 5,477Elite
    Economy 1 third of America's available working force is unemployed.Top that with 48.8 percent of the population on some sort of government subsidy, and it equals modern every body broke but the rich syndrome America.Also live TUF was way better than the new set up
    HanDGuN kungFOO mixxed with AK karate(KiLLuminatti)

Belfort~EL GuapO~GraciE~The Truth

Nemesis2Few^inspiration2many~Veni~Vidi~Vici~

Weidman,Moraga,Scareface,MauleR,Skyscraper&HondA HouseY all inspiring.

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    Jon 12 gauge Jones ... the liberal heart breaker lol
    KingzombiE`aka`StundonG 2 Strong
    The Notorious Conor Mcgregor ='s MMA's 2pac
    Forseti the gr8
    Animated Gifs Animated Gifs

"@TeemuSelanne, I'm sorry man. I did learn in school that it's not nice to pick on the handicapped, but I did not learn what to do if they try to punch me.I had to body him." ~cashflow 2014 X
    "LoL is dota for retarded children." ~TeemuSelanne 2014 X

"Pakal, homie. J.J. destroyed all your heroes, you need that deep introspection to discover the root of your hurt feels. You live in the mid west, correct? I know a rare introspectionist who only has one cousin she's ****. I know that is rare for your part of the country, but that's what makes this introspectionist so special. I'll pm you her number homie. " cole1186 2014 X

"I watch all the fights so that isn't a solid argument directed at me." poloGOAT 2014

"Am I in the bunny ranch click?" ~manhoef 2014

"I would recruit cole into the bunny ranch click, but Conor MCgoat already made him grab a belt loop." ~PAKAL 2014

"K I'll need your address, phone number, and credit card info to book a flight. I'll reimburse you after I hand you down jur proper beating." ~Homie^Cole 2014

Enemy ambushed & destroyed tally X X X
    Times ambushed 0
    PakaL said:

Also live TUF was way better than the new set up

in what way?

• »Army_Of_Øne«»Army_Of_Øne« Posts: 20,182Free
    fastest growing sport in the world, lol

¤ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

> > > IRT < < <
    edited October 2013
    _TUF1_ said:

PakaL said:

in what way?
    Real time has a totally different feel could be just me. Like being a part of the game so to say!In the stands opposed to studying film some people already figured out.
    Post edited by PakaL on

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    Forseti the gr8

"@TeemuSelanne, I'm sorry man. I did learn in school that it's not nice to pick on the handicapped, but I did not learn what to do if they try to punch me.I had to body him." ~cashflow 2014 X

"Pakal, homie. J.J. destroyed all your heroes, you need that deep introspection to discover the root of your hurt feels. You live in the mid west, correct? I know a rare introspectionist who only has one cousin she's ****. I know that is rare for your part of the country, but that's what makes this introspectionist so special. I'll pm you her number homie. " cole1186 2014 X

"I watch all the fights so that isn't a solid argument directed at me." poloGOAT 2014

"I would recruit cole into the bunny ranch click, but Conor MCgoat already made him grab a belt loop." ~PAKAL 2014

"K I'll need your address, phone number, and credit card info to book a flight. I'll reimburse you after I hand you down jur proper beating." ~Homie^Cole 2014

Times ambushed 0
  • ZaGOATZaGOAT Posts: 3,272Free
    They need to put Fox Sports 1 on basic cable so I can watch that **** just like ESPN 1 and 2 THEN their ratings will go up. UFC be on that **** putting their fights on channels where you have to get a package for it or something and ain't nobody got time to be paying for all of that, why pay for it when you can stream it.

Fox Sports 1 has been around for a few months but I haven't seen it once because I got that basic cable shiet so they aren't getting my views. If they stayed on Spike I would be able to catch it but nope. I'm cheap.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    PakaL said:

_TUF1_ said:

PakaL said:

in what way?
    Real time has a totally different feel could be just me. Like being a part of the game so to say!In the stands opposed to studying film some people already figured out.
    was a mess from what i remember. Fights would end in 1st round KO or something and then it was just commercials and jon anik talking about the fight for 15 minutes or the fight would go over it's time slot. I don't miss that ****.

Za1994 said:

They need to put Fox Sports 1 on basic cable so I can watch that **** just like ESPN 1 and 2 THEN their ratings will go up. UFC be on that **** putting their fights on channels where you have to get a package for it or something and ain't nobody got time to be paying for all of that, why pay for it when you can stream it.

Fox Sports 1 has been around for a few months but I haven't seen it once because I got that basic cable shiet so they aren't getting my views. If they stayed on Spike I would be able to catch it but nope. I'm cheap.

Most non pay per view fights get streamed on utube ...Fox 1 is alright but the UFC is keeping it alive till it takes off.Money's tight in modern America best bet is to get the ends from corporations ...Let spike re run old school fights or some other channel sell more advertising spots .Speaking of the fox 1 window in a window commercial thing is alright.If it was the small window lol anyway it's a infant still in need of complete sitting mastery.Forget about crawling for now is my best suggestion as MMA starts to grow world wide.

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    Forseti the gr8

Times ambushed 0
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 8,473Free
    they need to expand into more countries
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,883Free
    WarWest said:

The old group of superstars retiring or leaving hurt the UFC. Many people didn't have enough interest in new fighters to follow them or just don't know the new guys so they don't watch. There are also way too many cards and too many fighters throughout the year for a casual fan. I have many friends that used to watch every UFC card but couldn't keep up after a huge influx of new fighters and a large number of cards. People have work, weddings, vacations, sport tournaments, and whatever else going on during the weekends. Most can't watch 2-3 cards a month. Also there are way too many cuts, how are people supposed to learn about a new fighter or follow an old fighter if the UFC cuts them constantly. They should have stayed with the one pay per view a month schedule and kept a smaller roster with some more fighter loyalty so fans can follow their guy. People getting cut after 1-2 losses when they had long careers in the UFC is BS.

Very good post ^^^

Although I do enjoy the multiple cards, sometimes when 2-3 PPV's fall in a month it gets a bit expensive. Again I'm not complaining, but like juice said people have **** to do and cant watch every card

Except for this last card the 3-4 ones before that I had to work. I'm obviously not paying to watch them that night.

*edit* Nor am I watching the free ones when I have to work. I make jokes about not having a life and living in my moms basement. Bit the truth is I have a 4 year old daughter, I work/go to school, my wife is a RN that works 12 hour shifts, baby sitters are a constant struggle with our schedules clashing because baby sitters have lives too. I still catch every card that I can, but I dont always get to see them live. Somehow I still manage to have 30,000+ posts here LoL thank you to my cell phone
    I believe you.
  • ZaGOATZaGOAT Posts: 3,272Free
    WarWest said:

The old group of superstars retiring or leaving hurt the UFC. Many people didn't have enough interest in new fighters to follow them or just don't know the new guys so they don't watch. There are also way too many cards and too many fighters throughout the year for a casual fan. I have many friends that used to watch every UFC card but couldn't keep up after a huge influx of new fighters and a large number of cards. People have work, weddings, vacations, sport tournaments, and whatever else going on during the weekends. Most can't watch 2-3 cards a month. Also there are way too many cuts, how are people supposed to learn about a new fighter or follow an old fighter if the UFC cuts them constantly. They should have stayed with the one pay per view a month schedule and kept a smaller roster with some more fighter loyalty so fans can follow their guy. People getting cut after 1-2 losses when they had long careers in the UFC is BS.

Very good post ^^^

Although I do enjoy the multiple cards, sometimes when 2-3 PPV's fall in a month it gets a bit expensive. Again I'm not complaining, but like juice said people have **** to do and cant watch every card

Except for this last card the 3-4 ones before that I had to work. I'm obviously not paying to watch them that night.

*edit* Nor am I watching the free ones when I have to work. I make jokes about not having a life and living in my moms basement. Bit the truth is I have a 4 year old daughter, I work/go to school, my wife is a RN that works 12 hour shifts, baby sitters are a constant struggle with our schedules clashing because baby sitters have lives too. I still catch every card that I can, but I dont always get to see them live. Somehow I still manage to have 30,000+ posts here LoL thank you to my cell phone
    You love this forum. Admit it.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,855Free
    Za1994 said:

WarWest said:

Very good post ^^^

I love the forum
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
    edited October 2013
    Pretty much what Juice and FroZen said.

Too many cards in a month and people can't keep up with all of them. I get that they are doing more shows in Brazil now and those are taking up many fighters, even though not well known fighter. However, Brazil cards are taking big fighters like Belfort to headline those cards and preventing him to fight on ppv cards and have bigger fights. And I don't think a lot of people tune into the Brazil cards either.

I can't complain about all the events because I am able to watch most of them because my work schedule is very flexible. Even though I go to school too, watching the fights isn't a big deal.

I know they are planning 35 events next year so that is gonna be like 2-3 a month. I kinda miss having to wait for an event. More time to wait makes it better with all the build up and when the day actually comes I feel more excited to watch it compared to watching an two events in successive weeks.
    Post edited by NyteRyder on
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
    _TUF1_ said:

WarWest said:

Very good post ^^^

record your wife holding up a sign that says I'm banging WarWest or i don't believe you
    lol no,

he should record his wife holding up a sign that says, "I'm banging Za".
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    Where are you getting those numbers?

TUF's doing good.
    UFC 166 got 500k+
    UFC 165 got 500k+
    UFC 162 got 600k+

The numbers are slipping a little, but that was too be expected after Frankie got robbed 3 times in row. Numbers were at an all-time high with Frankie as champion.
    Believe in Beard
    Za1994 said:

WarWest said:

Very good post ^^^

I would never deny it

I love cutting it up with you bastards LoL
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    WarWest said:

_TUF1_ said:

WarWest said:

Very good post ^^^

record your wife holding up a sign that says I'm banging WarWest or i don't believe you

NO fapping nerds

....ooops you should have put this before the picture ;)

• GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    I fapped it twice since you posted it, bro.

No joke, that's awesome. You got a beautiful wife, homie.
    Believe in Beard

I fapped it twice since you posted it, bro.

No joke, that's awesome. You got a beautiful wife, homie.

LoL thanks man, I think she is too
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine

Where are you getting those numbers?

TUF's doing good.
    UFC 166 got 500k+
    UFC 165 got 500k+
    UFC 162 got 600k+

The numbers are slipping a little, but that was too be expected after Frankie got robbed 3 times in row. Numbers were at an all-time high with Frankie as champion.

"TUF's doing good"
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/6/4701604/tuf-18-debuts-to-lowest-series-ratings-ever-ufc-fight-night-loses

"UFC 166 got 500k+"
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/24/5024746/report-early-indicators-point-to-disappointing-buyrate-for-ufc-166

UFC 165 got 500k+
    saw it got 300k on wiki and read it was Jones worst PPV buyrate since becoming champ

UFC 162 got 600+
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_162

what were your sources for those numbers homie?

Manhoef said:

WarWest said:

Eww.
    +1

She's no Gary Busey
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine