Dos Santos: Cain didn't prove he was the better fighter

Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,531Free
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439490/JDS-Cain-didnt-prove-he-was-the-better-fighter/

Carlos Antunes: What went wrong in the fight?

Junior Dos Santos: It was a fight that, for sure, was heavily studied beforehand by both sides, my team as much as his. But I believe that in the end, his team brought a more effective strategy in order to fight just to win. My strategy was to impose my game and, as always, get the knockout. Perhaps it was a more emotional strategy than a rational one.

CA: You knocked Velasquez out in 2011. Why weren't you able to repeat that result this time?

JDS: What was missing for me was the distance to finish my combinations. His goal was accomplished, as every time he felt one of my punches, he clinched and leaned into me, allowing himself enough time to recover.

CA: Do you regret going for the choke that directly led to your being finished in the fight?

JDS: No. I was confident that I was able to win and was trying to in every way that I could, even including this choke attempt that ended up turning against me, as in the process of Velasquez defending the choke, I hit my head on the mat, which caused the technical knockout.

CA: After the fight, you took photos with Cain. Did you guys get the chance to talk?

JDS: I had just finished a huge fight against the athlete I consider my biggest rival in my weight class. Putting the result aside for a second, I have grown a lot and learned a lot from this rivalry. And what continues is the feeling of respect.

CA: Do you consider Cain the greatest UFC heavyweight of all time?

JDS: I think that today we are fighting at a different level than what had ever previosuly been fought. It's difficult to compare, but he's one of the best for sure.

CA: You received an indefinite medical suspension. When do you think you're going to be back inside the Octagon?

JDS: I'm not sure yet. My team and I are waiting for some analyses that will be taken. My facial bruises and swelling have already healed.

CA: Do you believe this loss will make you stronger in the future?

JDS: I believe so, yes. The more I fight, the more I learn and the stronger I get, thus making me a better fighter each and every time. The biggest lesson I learned from this fight is that besides counting on ability, training, and heart, it is necessary to formulate an effective strategy and follow it, which is not as simple as it seems. Negative results should not bring us down but rather become agents which make us better each and every time.

CA: Do you intend to change anything in your training?

JDS: We always haveto look for ways to improve ourselves, and life requires constant change. I'm not satisfied with the way things went in this fight, such an important fight for my career. So, definitely, there will be some changes made.

CA: Where do you see yourself in the heavyweight division right now?

JDS: I still consider myself one of the main challengers to the title. He showed that he had an effective strategy to win the fight, looking to play it safe while not taking many chances to show he was the better fighter, blocking my punches in a way that is typical of wrestlers. He applied pressure, grabbing hold of me and avoiding the fight, making the fight boring, making the audience boo a lot. An effective strategy to win, but he didn't prove he was the better fighter.
Tagged:

Comments

• kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,660Free
    I just lost some respect for Junior.

He's obviously in denial & not willing to give Cain the respect he clearly earned.
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,531Free
    PATSTER said:

Go JDS

He has the ability to beat Cain, he just needs the cardio and the ability to keep the distance.

Yeah like footwork... the ability to move to the side. Lateral movement... circle out. Homie needs to watch Carlos Condit run away from Nick Diaz and take notes.

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,413Free
    edited November 2013
    I don't know what people want him to say maybe " I'll never be able to beat him ever again" and watch all his hopes of a future rematch go out the window and him lose the drive to be the best, the guy will be frustrated with the fight after two losses like that he gave Cain props and even said after the fight "he beat me up what can I say" JDS is still a beast.
    Post edited by wanderleisilva101 on
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,531Free
    Fighting Cain Velasquez is hazardous to one's health. If Junior steps in the cage with him one more time he will step out looking like his ex wife.
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,496Free

I don't know what people want him to say maybe " I'll never be able to beat him ever again" and watch all his hopes of a future rematch go out the window and him lose the drive to be the best, the guy will be frustrated with the fight after two losses like that he gave Cain props and even said after the fight "he beat me up what can I say" JDS is still a beast.

He said he was the better fighter then Cain...he could not even admit that in that night Cain had his number

That is not the same as giving up like your implying...he gave Cain ZERO credit besides coming up with a boring gameplan

JDS sounded a lot like Rampage every time no one came to bang

I like JDS but this is a repeat trend for him...he failed to admit any fault on his own...he even implied Cains camp came up with the better gameplan....I wonder how JDS's crew feels bout that
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,660Free

I doubt anyone expects or wants that from JDS.

He basically attributed Cain's victory to having a better gameplan.

That's ridiculous & totally downplays what Cain accomplished.

Cain stood right in front of him the whole fight & JDS had plenty of opportunities to do what HE needed to do, but he couldn't pull it off.. not only because Cain was more strategic, but also because he clearly had the better skills in every area.

Putting it all down to strategy is just naive on Junior's part.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    Junior could beat Cain if I was his head coach

Honestly Junior's camp comes up with the shittiest gameplans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,179Free

I agree. Junior stuffed nearly all of Cain's takedowns with ease. He just needed to not be so comfortable with his back up against the cage.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 65-41

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• Honestly, I lost respect for him when he got mad @ rogan calling Cain a real champion.
    This isn't helping.
    -----------------////----------------////----------------////----------------////---------------////--------------
    Fedor Emelianenko - Nick Diaz - Frankie Edgar
    - S A F F I E D I N E - S Q U A D -
    iNOOB said:

I agree. Junior stuffed nearly all of Cain's takedowns with ease. He just needed to not be so comfortable with his back up against the cage.
    IMO Junior did better in the 2nd fight than the third

In the 3rd he immediately put his back against the cage

When he rocked him at the very beginning he should of went full Sanchez and he probably could of finished Cain.....but his corner put this "conserve energy" **** in his mind
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,760Free
    WOW
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine

Honestly, I lost respect for him when he got mad @ rogan calling Cain a real champion.
    This isn't helping.

He should be mad, that is VERY disrespectful to Kongo, the man who KO'd Cain twice

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,413Free
    ^I agree he had some moments in the 3rd fight like when he hurt him in 1st round and the elbows he was throwing now and again but he never threw enough early. When he rocked him it was like he hesitated coz he was busy thinking of the takedown or clinch but he's not gonna out cardio Cain, he has to get him out of there as quick as possible in the first 2-3 rounds at most so he should have just went for it.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image

^I agree he had some moments in the 3rd fight like when he hurt him in 1st round and the elbows he was throwing now and again but he never threw enough early. When he rocked him it was like he hesitated coz he was busy thinking of the takedown or clinch but he's not gonna out cardio Cain, he has to get him out of there as quick as possible in the first 2-3 rounds at most so he should have just went for it.

more like 1st round tbh

I don't think he can last more than a round at Cain's pace.....I mean obviously he can, but by that point the fight isn't really winnable

PATSTER said:

What he said isn't crazy.

I'm super impressed that he isn't intimidated by Cain still. Good for him.

Hopefully he makes it back to the top.

Junior needs to drop to LHW

The Heavyweights have too much cardio

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,846Free
    edited November 2013
    i still believe junior can beat cain, but he needs to be able to adapt on the fly, instead he keeps doing the same combinations and cain figures out what hes going to throw and ducks most if it and notices the areas to counter/ attack when he rushed in, also he needs to stay off the damn cage and remain in the middle of the octagon
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    edited November 2013
    so many Brasil fighters are arrogant,disrespectful of other fighters and never acknowledge their opponents.
    Cain did not need the TKO he was owning JDS the ENTIRE fight,so to say he never lost is just retarded and a way of disrespecting Cain`s ability.
    There was only one LUCKY fight and that was JDS win,he can ONLY win one way and that is with counter striking,he has nothing else to offer for MMA.
    Silva did the same thing after losing,he never acknowledged Weidman,instead he thanked the UFC for making him rich.
    We already know what Palhares is like,he has no respect for any opponent,the only fighter out of Brasil i have respect for is Wanderlai because he is a good guy who respects the sport and other fighters.Even Vitor has no respect,he thinks roiding is legit and even uses the same excuses as the rest of them.Tibau another obvious cheat,
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,059Free
    PATSTER said:

Go JDS
    He has the ability to beat Cain, he just needs the cardio and the ability to keep the distance.

That could be said of all heavyweights in the division, lol. Easier said than done.

JDS has the cardio, the thing he doesn't are all other skills: keeping distance, clinch game, escaping from the fence, octagon awareness, counterstriking moving backwards, muai thai etc.

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,846Free
    edited November 2013
    overeem has the skills for like 2mins of a fight, but lacks the chin and cardio
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,445Free
    Damn, Cain really beat him bad.
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • My question is, what will it take for JDS to say Cain is better? They may never fight each other again, so what needs to happen for him to admit it? If they do fight a 4th time, will Cain have to finish the fight earlier than JDS did the first time, or will JDS just say he only beat him because he tricked him into thinking he was going to do the same as the last two times?

I have a hard time thinking that he believes the things he said. How can he not be a little discouraged that he got beaten up that badly twice and literally had no answer for anything Cain did? I mean, he's not dead...that's a positive. But what else can he take away from that fight aside from, what appears to be, moderate brain damage? He doesn't have to say Velasquez is the best ever, but it shouldn't be hard to admit that he's the best right now. He found this out first hand...twice. What little respect he gained back in most fans' minds, after taking another 5 round beating like a man, is likely severely diminished after these comments.
  • MagergetMagerget Posts: 461Free

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439490/JDS-Cain-didnt-prove-he-was-the-better-fighter/

CA: Where do you see yourself in the heavyweight division right now?

JDS: He showed that he had an effective strategy to win the fight, looking to play it safe while not taking many chances to show he was the better fighter, blocking my punches in a way that is typical of wrestlers. He applied pressure, grabbing hold of me and avoiding the fight, making the fight boring, making the audience boo a lot. An effective strategy to win, but he didn't prove he was the better fighter.

• MrBisonMrBison Posts: 554Free
    JDS showed he is the better fighter.. I agree with him 100%
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,059Free
    Cain turned JDS into a retard.