How current are the current UFC champs? Intriguing STATS.

najmanajma Posts: 2,025Free
edited November 2013 in UFC
Let's compare the UFC champions according to how many other current top-10 fighters in their divisions they have fought and how many wins/losses/draws to those fighters they have. The results are very interesting.
[I use mmaweekly.com's rankings]

125lbs. - FW - Demetrious Johnson
Top-10 fighters fought: 4
Current ranking of opponents: 2, 3, 4, 5
It were: Benavides, Dodson, McCall (x2), Moraga
Record: 4-0-1
Via: 1 sub, 3 dec

135lbs. - BW - Renan Barao
Current ranking of opponent: 2, 3, 6, 7
It were: Faber, McDonald, Wineland, Pickett
Record: 4-0
Via: 1 TKO, 2 sub, 1 dec

145lbs. - FW - Jose Aldo
Current ranking of opponents: 2, 4, 6, 7
It were: Mendes, Swanson, Edgar, Sung Jung
Via: 3 (T)KOs, 1 dec

155lbs. - LW - Anthony Pettis
Top-10 fighters fought: 1
Current ranking of opponent: 2
It were: Henderson (x2)
Record: 2-0
Via: 1 sub, 1 dec

170lbs. - WW - Georges St.Pierre
Top-10 fighters fought: 1
Current ranking of opponent: 3
It was: Carlos Condit.
Record: 1-0
Via: 1 dec

185lbs. - MW - Chris Weidman
Top-10 fighters fought: 2
Current ranking of opponents: 2, 7
It were: Silva, Muńoz
Record: 2-0
Via: 2 KOs

205lbs. - LHW - Jon Jones
Current ranking of opponents: 2, 6, 8, 9
It were: Gustafsson, Evans, Sonnen, Rua
Via: 2 (T)KOs, 2 dec

265lbs. - HW - Cain Velasqeuz
Top-10 fighters fought: 2
Current ranking of opponents: 2, 5
It were: Junior Dos Santos (x3), Antonio Silva (x2)
Record: 4-1
(Wins) Via: 2 KOs, 2 dec

Discuss :-)
Post edited by najma on
Tagged:

Comments

• kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    mighty mouse has the best current record. takes a lot of heat but he has clearly beat his stiffest competition

gsp actually has the worst right now of all the champs! lol shows you hes the only holdover left from the last generation of stars
  • Jason_H.Jason_H. Posts: 2,158Free
    I think all the current champs are pretty current.
    What??
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Barao and AldGOAT are the winners.

• _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,568Free
    Renan Barao is an Animal
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
    Diaz is still Top 10, and Jake Shields is in there as well
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • Information isn't entirely complete, but I see what you're aiming at here. I don't know if focusing on only current top 10 fighters works or not. By doing it this way Anderson Silva (I know he's not a champion, but hear me out) would only have one win against a current top ten fighter in his weight class, which would be Vitor Belfort (you can make an argument for two with Chael; the rest are either retired, outside the UFC, or have switched weight classes). While the list of people he's beaten in recent years isn't filled with world beaters, he certainly has a better resume than most, so to not take into account what he has accomplished outside of that is a bit misleading and a bit of a slight to the fighter. So, in reference to the champs, I don't necessarily think it tells the entire story, but it is a decent start.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,025Free
    edited November 2013
    @-HiLiteOfTheNite-, how was I able to make the word CURRENT even more evident to you?
    Each of the champions has fought in their respective division in the UFC for the last 3 years (apart from Johnson). So it's not like all of their opponents suddenly vanished from their divisions.

This shows the true story about how well they have been tested against the currently best fighters. This doesn't take anything from their past accomplishments.

What you should understand from the numbers is:
    1. Johnson, Barao, Aldo, Jones - all are fighting often and are fighting the top guys. Those divisions are good.
    2. Pettis - hasn't beaten any big names.
    3. GSP - hasn't fought for a long time and is not fighting often.
    4. HW is a very shallow division.
    5. LHW - Weidman hasn't fought big names yet. One of the reasons is that there wasn't anyone better than him to fight Anderson at the time he beat him.
    Post edited by najma on
  • najma said:

@-HiLiteOfTheNite-, how was I able to make the word CURRENT even more evident to you?
    Each of the champions has fought in their respective division in the UFC for the last 3 years (apart from Johnson). So it's not like all of their opponents suddenly vanished from their divisions.

This shows the true story about how well they have been tested against the currently best fighters. This doesn't take anything from their past accomplishments.

1. Johnson, Barao, Aldo, Jones - all are fighting often and are fighting the top guys. Those divisions are good.
    5. LHW - Weidman hasn't fought big names yet. One of the reasons is that there wasn't anyone better than him to fight Anderson at the time he beat him.

Now, listen here Mr. Frodo. Don't get short with me... I understood quite well, I just think your concept is flawed. If you read my response without being so defensive you'd have realized I agree with you for the most part. My comment was more along the lines of the fact that I don't think this really proves anything conclusive, though it is a start.

What I think it really proves is that UFC matchmaking is flawed. Pettis should have been fighting tougher guys right from the start. In fact, if you remember correctly, he was supposed to fight for the championship straight off. GSP sustained a debilitating injury and was gone for 19 months. Heavyweight has never been deep, but it is the deepest it has ever been. The problem is they're having their top guys (notably Cain) fight the same guys too often. Most people think those fights should have been spread apart much more, but DC's presence at HW didn't help, because he was a top 5 fighter who refused to fight his friend. Weidman is in fact a middleweight... That division has been decimated by Anderson laying waste to scrubs for years. Most of the time he was choosing his opponents and after they lost they retired, moved out of the UFC, or switched weight classes. So if you go back and read my previous comment, paired with this one, you'll see that I have a fine grasp of the definition of the word current.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,025Free

What I think it really proves is that UFC matchmaking is flawed. Pettis should have been fighting tougher guys right from the start. In fact, if you remember correctly, he was supposed to fight for the championship straight off. GSP sustained a debilitating injury and was gone for 19 months. Heavyweight has never been deep, but it is the deepest it has ever been. The problem is they're having their top guys (notably Cain) fight the same guys too often. Most people think those fights should have been spread apart much more, but DC's presence at HW didn't help, because he was a top 5 fighter who refused to fight his friend. Weidman is in fact a middleweight... That division has been decimated by Anderson laying waste to scrubs for years. Most of the time he was choosing his opponents and after they lost they retired, moved out of the UFC, or switched weight classes.

Thank you!
    All of this perfectly sums up what my stats show :-) All you did is elaborated what I put in points. Good.
  • najma said:

What I think it really proves is that UFC matchmaking is flawed. Pettis should have been fighting tougher guys right from the start. In fact, if you remember correctly, he was supposed to fight for the championship straight off. GSP sustained a debilitating injury and was gone for 19 months. Heavyweight has never been deep, but it is the deepest it has ever been. The problem is they're having their top guys (notably Cain) fight the same guys too often. Most people think those fights should have been spread apart much more, but DC's presence at HW didn't help, because he was a top 5 fighter who refused to fight his friend. Weidman is in fact a middleweight... That division has been decimated by Anderson laying waste to scrubs for years. Most of the time he was choosing his opponents and after they lost they retired, moved out of the UFC, or switched weight classes.

Thank you!
    All of this perfectly sums up what my stats show :-) All you did is elaborated what I put in points. Good.
    I already told you I agreed partially with what you had to say. I just don't entirely agree with where the logic comes from. Although it is a decent measuring stick to see where they stand according to somebody else's opinion of the state of things currently, it doesn't necessarily tell you the full story. The problem is that everything can be broken down so many different ways that a more concrete system is needed that includes more criteria than this. So, while I understand what you were trying to accomplish here, I was simply stating that this is only part of what needs to be considered, though it is a good starting point. Congrats. I've been working on figuring out a more sufficient system for P4P rankings over the last couple of years that includes information like this, and a lot more (admittedly I've probably spent too much time on this), so that there isn't as much need for debate. It is a lot like how the BCS worked in college football, except it doesn't suck like the BCS. I like where your mind is at though.
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate

Your stats are a little flawed. Pettis doesn't get the proper respect for beating the champ, because now the champ is currently ranked #2. That doesn't make sense. It should be the opponents' ranking when they fought, not what the current ranking is.

but I think that's the whole point of his thread, to show how many fighters in the current Top 10 the champ has fought
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • -HiLiteOfTheNite--HiLiteOfTheNite- Posts: 617Free
    edited November 2013

Your stats are a little flawed. Pettis doesn't get the proper respect for beating the champ, because now the champ is currently ranked #2. That doesn't make sense. It should be the opponents' ranking when they fought, not what the current ranking is.

That was another piece I forgot to mention. It seems that a lot of people like to dismiss the idea of a fighter having been worthy of the rank that they previously held simply because they were beaten. It should be noted that when a fighter beats another, that fighter was #1 at the time, not simply that the fighter is currently #3 because he lost. That would be like saying somebody was never a champion because they were beaten by the person who is now currently the champion. It just doesn't make sense. So while some may not agree with it, that information should probably be noted in some form.
    Post edited by -HiLiteOfTheNite- on
  • Jbrahams said:

but I think that's the whole point of his thread, to show how many fighters in the current Top 10 the champ has fought
    Absolutely. No doubt, but adding to the original idea can help clarify things as well.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,822Free

That was another piece I forgot to mention. It seems that a lot of people like to dismiss the idea of a fighter having been worthy of the rank that they previously held simply because they were beaten. It should be noted that when a fighter beats another, that fighter was #1 at the time, not simply that the fighter is currently #3 because he lost. That would be like saying somebody was never a champion because they were beaten by the person who is now currently the champion. It just doesn't make sense. So while some may not agree with it, that information should probably be noted in some form.
    Agreed. The best thing any fighter can accomplish is beating the champ.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • rain_wizardrain_wizard Posts: 1,378Free
    najma said:

You step up to a guy like that a game and im'ma slap that taste out your mouth son. Sit down.

Bringing the fight against zuffa zombies since March 2010.

Who has had their chin checked recently by GOAT_Wizard?

JohnnybonesJonesFan
    Omyplatypus

Active sig bet:
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
    Clearly the stats indicate that GSP's opponents are cans. The complete opposite of what his fans believe.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    waikru said:

Clearly the stats indicate that GSP's opponents are cans. The complete opposite of what his fans believe.

you're right Penn is a can.

mighty mouse has the best current record. takes a lot of heat but he has clearly beat his stiffest competition

gsp actually has the worst right now of all the champs! lol shows you hes the only holdover left from the last generation of stars

Jones easily has a better record, he probably has the best resume in MMA history. Bonnar, Hamill, Vera, Matyushenko, Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Belfort, Sonnen and Gustafsson
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,980Free
    Numbers never lie GSP is a can.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun