UFC PRIMETIME: St-Pierre vs Johny Hendricks Episode 2 Thoughts?

NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,036Free

via UFC: http://www.youtube.com/user/UFC

I found GSP wearing a Superman shirt pretty hilarious. Also his comment about needing to be insane to be champion was pretty good. Johny Hendricks' "vicious side" should have ample time in the title fight. GSP's trainer addressed his plans to "retire" they explained that GSP hasn't lost interest in the sport, just things that happen in the sport. He wants to keep fighting.

The brick story is crazy, GSP carried a brick around with him everywhere after losing to Matt Serra to represent the weight that can put on someone's mind, losing that is not that brick. Didn't know GSP was a fan of Shoeki Matsui (I've seen his stuff on youtube lol while searching for MMA stuff), knew he did K-Karate but I didn't know he followed guys like that. Pretty cool really.

Hendricks' daughters adorable lol. Just thought I'd point that out. Interesting look at his life when talking about how his wife wasn't a fan of fighting. It's cool seeing how normal Hendricks really is, you'd never what he did for a living if you just met him on the street. Another Superman reference? This time from Hendricks' wife comparing the different sides of Johny. I love that he's a family man, and it drives him to succeed.

So to sum up personalities shown in this episode, GSP is a respectful guy and honors those that came before him, Hendricks is a family orientated, down to earth, humble guy.

Now on the professional side lets break them down.

ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSS TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE!!!

IN THE RED CORNER!!!! DEFENDING UFC WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION!!

Georges "Rush" St-Pierre

Height: 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)
Weight: 170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)
Reach: 76 in (193 cm)
Fighting out of: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Team: Jackson's MMA, Tristar Gym
Rank(s): 3rd dan black belt in Kyokushin kaikan, 1st-degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Gracie Barra Montreal,Black belt in Gaidojutsu, Black belt in Shidokan

Mixed martial arts record
Total: 26
Wins : 24
By knockout: 8
By submission: 5
By decision: 11
Losses: 2
By knockout: 1
By submission: 1

Highlights/Notable Wins

IN THE BLUE CORNER!!!!!!!!!! THE CHALLENGER!!!!!!!!!!

Johny "Bigg Rigg" Hendricks

Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
Weight: 170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)
Reach: 69.0 in (175 cm)
Fighting out of: Dallas, Texas
Team: Team Takedown
Rank(s): NCAA Division I Wrestling

Mixed martial arts record
Total: 16
Wins: 15
By knockout: 8
By submission: 1
By decision: 6
Losses: 1
By decision: 1
Draws: 0

Highlights/Notable wins

Keys to victory - GSP: In my opinion, GSP needs to avoid Johny's lefthand (duh?) while being aware of Johny's willingness to take him down, GSP also needs to use range via his kicks and diverse striking arsenal and his patented jab. Circle away from Johny and use strikes to open up for offensive grappling opportunities, but don't engage if Johny's back is to the cage he's bigger and stronger and could turn GSP over in the blink of an eye.

Keys to victory - Hendricks: In my opinion, Hendricks needs to either land a flush opening shot, not necessarily to finish GSP right away but to keep GSP on his toes if it doesn't KO him. Hendricks should utilize his high level wrestling and take the fight to GSP early and control the pace (easier said than done honestly). He needs to check all leg kicks from GSP, to not only slow GSP down but to prevent the champ from taking away from Hendricks's own power and shot (takedown shot not a punch shot lol).

All and all good fight, hope to see Hendricks get the W. Enjoy it guys ;)

Comments

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,783Ultimate
    I'm actually really interested to see how many buys it does since Jones/Gus and JDS/Cain have been a bit disappointing (even though there were other boxing events etc)

But I just think GSP is too smart, he will play to Hendricks weaknesses and on the later rounds start pouring it on imo, though if Hendricks was to beat GSP then is be cool with that too, it would be weird having GSP and Anderson lose consecutively.
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,612Free
    Wow I feel like the real Michael Buffer just announced a real Main Event... =D>
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,333Free
    damn nikki when you gonna have my baby

• NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,036Free
    edited November 2013
    LOL wow TUF!!

I considered doing something like this for Hendo vs Vitor.
    Post edited by NikkiNeversleep on
    good breakdown

I think Hendricks will be walking him down most of the fight but fights a lot more conservative for fear of being taken down with the pride he takes in his wrestling. Georges will likely jab him to death... or atleast a UD. :(

_TUF1_ said:

good breakdown

I think Hendricks will be walking him down most of the fight but fights a lot more conservative for fear of being taken down with the pride he takes in his wrestling. Georges will likely jab him to death... or atleast a UD. :(

I don't think Hendricks will be afraid of GSP's wrestling and we'll actually see GSP get outwrestled.
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    I don't not think anyone else should be allowed to do breakdown threads ever again. Mods, make Nikki the resident big fight breakdown girl please

oh and this is one of the reasons I love you :x

_TUF1_ said:

good breakdown

I don't think Hendricks will be afraid of GSP's wrestling and we'll actually see GSP get outwrestled.
    pure wrestling match Hendricks would put on a clinic but georges MMA wrestling is too strong. What i mean is georges will be backing up and jabbing the whole fight setting up the takedown frustrating and forcing hendricks to come in reckless and get taken down. Georges won't keep him down but he'll be able to get johnny thinking about the takedown enough he can jab to a UD =((

_TUF1_ said:

_TUF1_ said:

good breakdown

pure wrestling match Hendricks would put on a clinic but georges MMA wrestling is too strong. What i mean is georges will be backing up and jabbing the whole fight setting up the takedown frustrating and forcing hendricks to come in reckless and get taken down. Georges won't keep him down but he'll be able to get johnny thinking about the takedown enough he can jab to a UD =((
    Not early in the fight, he's gotta make it out of 3 rounds without Hendricks caving his head in. He won't take Hendricks down for the first 3 rounds, I think anyway.
    fobar said:

I don't think anyone else should be allowed to do breakdown threads ever again. Mods, make Nikki the resident big fight breakdown girl please

oh and this is one of the reasons I love you :x

Haha love you too :) thanks.
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    I have a horrible feeling that Safe will just be able to wear him down enough in the first couple of rounds to neutralise they power bomb. but I hope i'm wrong

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    What caught my eye immediately was GSP training has his hands way too low,what are those supposed good coaches doing if they can't see that simple mistake.
    A real easy MMA fighter to look at is Big Country Nelson,he does not have a granite chin,he keeps his hands high and deflects almost all the power.
    GSP also looks real sloppy when throwing strikes.I have always stated that GSP does not have the athletic build or nohow to be a competent striker,yes he has proven he can jab versus very weak UFC strikers,but that does not make him a good strike.
    I don't know the real answer to stopping Hendrick's power for 5 rounds,but i would attempt to see if GSP can utilize leg kicks,while keeping his hands high NEVER dropping those hands.
    What GSP should be confident in is if Hendrick's takes him down utilizing a kicking game,he should be able utilize BJJ because Hendrick's has proven he is not good at bjj Condit proved that.

Hendrick's talks a lot of talk about his wrestling,truth is he is as big as you can get and still fight at 170,Rumble Johnson tried to fight at a bigger weight but could not do it.I believe 100% that without that 210 size Hendrick's would be a non factor at 170,.Hendrick's is not that good at MMA,he would lose a lot of power and his wrestling would be no different than the other wrestlers GSP has fought he is ALL about size,just as Alves was to become a factor ,just as Hughes was when champion.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
    zaksame said:

What caught my eye immediately was GSP training has his hands way too low,what are those supposed good coaches doing if they can't see that simple mistake.
    A real easy MMA fighter to look at is Big Country Nelson,he does not have a granite chin,he keeps his hands high and deflects almost all the power.
    GSP also looks real sloppy when throwing strikes.I have always stated that GSP does not have the athletic build or nohow to be a competent striker,yes he has proven he can jab versus very weak UFC strikers,but that does not make him a good strike.
    I don't know the real answer to stopping Hendrick's power for 5 rounds,but i would attempt to see if GSP can utilize leg kicks,while keeping his hands high NEVER dropping those hands.
    What GSP should be confident in is if Hendrick's takes him down utilizing a kicking game,he should be able utilize BJJ because Hendrick's has proven he is not good at bjj Condit proved that.

Hendrick's talks a lot of talk about his wrestling,truth is he is as big as you can get and still fight at 170,Rumble Johnson tried to fight at a bigger weight but could not do it.I believe 100% that without that 210 size Hendrick's would be a non factor at 170,.Hendrick's is not that good at MMA,he would lose a lot of power and his wrestling would be no different than the other wrestlers GSP has fought he is ALL about size,just as Alves was to become a factor ,just as Hughes was when champion.

And if GSP didn't cut from 200+ he'd be what?

zaksame said:

i should flag you for reading an entire zaksame post

• S6XStringzS6XStringz Posts: 1,067Free
    Heh... I see Hendricks slowing down BIG time after 2 rounds and then GSP just doing the GSP thing for the rest of it. So in other words, if Hendricks doesn't end it within 2 rounds, he's going to need a really lucky punch with a really poor mistake from GSP to win that fight.
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    Lol @ the pic of Hendricks and Kos. Kos is looking at that fist like "****! Its the left! Here comes the left! Oh no!". Epic photo.
    the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,043Free
    edited November 2013
    I think we will see GSP slow down if it goes the distance. Hendricks tired out during the Condit fight in round 3 but so did GSP. The difference is that Hendricks was fighting at a ferocious pace while GSP was playing top game control with Diaz on the ground.
    Post edited by waikru on
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,766Free
    Johnys wife is reaally hot! Is she the best looking fighters wife? I think so.

And I reaally want Hendrix to knock George out. Or wrestle **** him to a decision. George is cool and all but his play it safe style gots to go!
    Hopefully we see Hendricks crush GSP.
  • wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,331Free
    _TUF1_ said:

LOL wow TUF!!

lol, this sounds like you considered having the baby of the Hendo/Vitor winner. Hell, who am I kidding? I'd have the baby of the Hendo/Vitor winner.

:-O
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

_TUF1_ said:

LOL wow TUF!!

lol, this sounds like you considered having the baby of the Hendo/Vitor winner. Hell, who am I kidding? I'd have the baby of the Hendo/Vitor winner.

:-O
    I meant doing a thread like this for Hendo vs Vitor lol
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,465Free
    I thought it was funny when GSP said he's always thinking about Hendricks...even in the shower..lmao.
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,331Free
    NyteRyder said:

I thought it was funny when GSP said he's always thinking about Hendricks...even in the shower..lmao.

Ha ha! I noticed that too. If the fight goes to the ground GSP will get a Bonnar for sure.
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

• rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 4,027Free
    Basically Hendricks by KTFO.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,612Free
    One Shot, One Kill, what's the deal?

I Believe in Hendricks!!!
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,820Free
    Say what? Nikki being objective towards GSP vs Hendricks? Flagging for trolling.

Great breakdown. A while back, we had another member do this for every main event. I forgot who he is, but wish he still did it.

I think you're underestimating GSP's timing with his wrestling. I think he'll be able to takedown Hendricks much easier than you think. Hendricks is the much better wrestler on the mat but inside the cage will be a different story.
  • MMAGunsMMAGuns Posts: 193Free
    edited November 2013

zaksame said:

GSP doesn't weigh 200+.

Good breakdown though. Basicaly Hendricks will have to KO him because GSP is simply better everywhere else.
    Alvez was supposed to have a big punch but he was dominated for 5 rounds.
    Post edited by MMAGuns on
    Brown
    Gus
    Machida
    Condit
    Cerone
    Edgar
    Faber
    Uncle Creepy
    Rousey
    edited November 2013
    MMAGuns said:

zaksame said:

GSP doesn't weigh 200+.

Good breakdown though. Basicaly Hendricks will have to KO him because GSP is simply better everywhere else.
    197 week before fight = he definitely weighs 200+ walking around.
    Post edited by NikkiNeversleep on
  • GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,820Free

MMAGuns said:

zaksame said:

GSP doesn't weigh 200+.

197 week before fight = he definitely weighs 200+ walking around.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe GSP is one of the few guys whose walk around weight is his in shape weight. If I find a link where that is stated, I'll post it.