The Best Character Assassination of a UFC Fighter From Another UFC Fighter

MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
Well, it's from an article about Chael Sonnen, written by none other than Thomas Gerbasi. Super good article, by the way. The whole thing is great and filled with things from the highly-quotable Chael Sonnen. The irony is that this article is mostly about his upcoming fight with Rashad Evans. Chael does his opponent honor and praises him in the most genuine fashion I think I've seen; really setting the standard for sportsmanship.

The character assassination I'm referring to is his description of Wanderlei, and Chael absolutely destroys him in this following quote:

“But Wanderlei sucks,” he continues. “Wanderlei has always sucked. He’s one of those guys where you kind of have to scratch your head because he’s likely to end up in the Hall of Fame. Wanderlei has a very significant and meaningful presence in MMA, but the reality is that he’s beyond awful. His record in the UFC right now is five wins and seven losses. It is the worst record in the history of the UFC. When you hear that, you probably go, ‘oh, Chael’s just trying to put him down.’ These are his numbers; this isn’t my opinion. He’s never been in a championship fight, he’s never been in a number one contender’s fight. He’s terrible. He takes easy fights and he still can’t win them. In no universe am I going to try to convince the fans that they should watch me and Wanderlei fight because this is somehow a good fight. It’s not. He’s terrible. I’m challenging him because he’s terrible and because I want an easy fight, and it looks like I finally got one.”

It's so scathing!
Member of the People's Freedom Movement

Tagged:

Comments

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,015Free
    Chael fails again. Wanderlei fought Tito for UFC LHW title.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• poonmachinepoonmachine Posts: 1,752Free
    So at one point Chael can praise fighters like bisping and brian stann who wanderlei has beat as being great fighter and so on but wanderlei looks for easy fights? I dun get it hale?
    FF

Rickson Gracie

Wanderlei Silva

Thiago Alves

Nogueira

• MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free

So at one point Chael can praise fighters like bisping and brian stann who wanderlei has beat as being great fighter and so on but wanderlei looks for easy fights? I dun get it hale?

At the end of the day, aren't we all hypocrites?

Megasoup said:

chael just talks to much trash and it doesn't add up
    FF

Rickson Gracie

Wanderlei Silva

Thiago Alves

Nogueira

• sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    waikru said:

lol , this is definitely an oft-forgotten fact
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free

Megasoup said:

The irony is that this quote was lifted from an article where Chael heaps an unprecedented amount of genuine praise on his upcoming opponent, Rashad.

Now, I'm not trying to incite anything here, but I want you and everyone else to think about what you just said, for a minute; "Chael just talks too much trash." How much trash, exactly, is he supposed to "talk?" What is the appropriate increment, the fan-approved allotment of prefight statements of controversy and general animosity that a professional fighter is supposed to arouse?

Let's delve into this a little deeper and I'll link this together with what is wrong with this country. Chael has a tendency to speak off the cuff and tell you exactly how he feels, which as actually pretty refreshing. The reason why our our political system is being run into the ground is because too many people are put into a state of shock by such an approach, and an honest politician who speaks from the heart would never stand a chance in an election.

There are no good speeches anymore. There is no transparency and there is no way to get an accurate read on the authenticity of a candidate for public office or even for a spot on "American Idol." Every statement issued by a politician is fully vetted, pre-screened, fact-checked and polled for public opinion so that there is as little chance to cause a stir as possible. Then, these statements are further analyzed and dissected on a radio-talk show, newspaper and a cable broadcast so that there's even less incentive for a politician to disclose anything that would indicate a real and true opinion of validity.

Chael says Wanderlei sucks, which is certainly an opinion, but I'd like to think that since he's spent a lot of one-on-one time with him, he's more qualified to make that statement than someone who pulls up his fight history on the internet. And it's great to hear.

• the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,081Premium
    ^ tl;dr, the appropriate amount of trash is a quantity that the speaker can still remember so as to not contradict himself.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,650Free
    edited November 2013
    waikru said:

Chael doesn't fail, he does it on purpose. If you go back and look at things he says he will just blatantly make things up all the time and it's awesome.
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
    <

^ tl;dr, the appropriate amount of trash is a quantity that the speaker can still remember so as to not contradict himself.

exactly he talks to much and in the end he contradicts himself a lot
    FF

Rickson Gracie

Wanderlei Silva

Thiago Alves

Nogueira

Megasoup said:

Megasoup said:

The irony is that this quote was lifted from an article where Chael heaps an unprecedented amount of genuine praise on his upcoming opponent, Rashad.

Now, I'm not trying to incite anything here, but I want you and everyone else to think about what you just said, for a minute; "Chael just talks too much trash." How much trash, exactly, is he supposed to "talk?" What is the appropriate increment, the fan-approved allotment of prefight statements of controversy and general animosity that a professional fighter is supposed to arouse?

Let's delve into this a little deeper and I'll link this together with what is wrong with this country. Chael has a tendency to speak off the cuff and tell you exactly how he feels, which as actually pretty refreshing. The reason why our our political system is being run into the ground is because too many people are put into a state of shock by such an approach, and an honest politician who speaks from the heart would never stand a chance in an election.

There are no good speeches anymore. There is no transparency and there is no way to get an accurate read on the authenticity of a candidate for public office or even for a spot on "American Idol." Every statement issued by a politician is fully vetted, pre-screened, fact-checked and polled for public opinion so that there is as little chance to cause a stir as possible. Then, these statements are further analyzed and dissected on a radio-talk show, newspaper and a cable broadcast so that there's even less incentive for a politician to disclose anything that would indicate a real and true opinion of validity.

Chael says Wanderlei sucks, which is certainly an opinion, but I'd like to think that since he's spent a lot of one-on-one time with him, he's more qualified to make that statement than someone who pulls up his fight history on the internet. And it's great to hear.
    What I meant had nothing to do with people having to censor themselves im fine with chael if he wants to make himself look like an idiot then that's fine its funny to hear. im just commenting on the fact that chael is having trouble making any sense in that statement
    FF

Rickson Gracie

Wanderlei Silva

Thiago Alves

Nogueira

• So at one point Chael can praise fighters like bisping and brian stann who wanderlei has beat as being great fighter and so on but wanderlei looks for easy fights? I dun get it hale?

Who you gonna believe? Him or your lying eyes?
    -----------------////----------------////----------------////----------------////---------------////--------------
    Fedor Emelianenko - Nick Diaz - Frankie Edgar
    - S A F F I E D I N E - S Q U A D -
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
    chael sonnen and Anderson silva have pretty similar records...not to mention that wanderlei was a champ and chael never got to that level
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,372Free
    Sisti said:

chael sonnen and Anderson silva have pretty similar records...not to mention that wanderlei was a champ and chael never got to that level

Sonnen beat Filho for the WEC belt. It's not his fault Filho decided he wasn't going to make weight to defend his title.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,139Free
    Sisti said:

chael sonnen and Anderson silva have pretty similar records..

never go full obsessed derp