Is a decision (win or lose) a failure?

rideforeverrideforever Posts: 120Free
I wanted to see Hendricks finish GSP. I think he won, but I'm annoyed he didn't finish the fight and even more annoyed that he's saying he could have and will next time.

If you are so superior then prove it. If you don't prove it, you don't give the fans what they want to see most, you don't deserve to claim that you won. Both fighters failed to complete their task in the allotted time, they both lost and so did the fans.

Hendricks:
"I wasn't really trying to knock him out"
"I was putting about 70% on him and it was enough"

Dana:
"It wasn't enough cause you left it in the hands of the judges"

Hendricks:
"uuh umm uh umm uh... ouch Dana"
"If I get to see him in the ring again, it won't go the distance"

Me:
How can you say you'll finish him next time right after failing your chance to finish him?
Tagged:

Comments

• MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,828Free

I wanted to see Hendricks finish GSP. I think he won, but I'm annoyed he didn't finish the fight and even more annoyed that he's saying he could have and will next time.

If you are so superior then prove it. If you don't prove it, you don't give the fans what they want to see most, you don't deserve to claim that you won. Both fighters failed to complete their task in the allotted time, they both lost and so did the fans.

Hendricks:

Dana:

Hendricks:

Me:
    How can you say you'll finish him next time right after failing your chance to finish him?

From the point of view for an MMA fan, I don't think it's always a failure if you do not get a finish. If a fighter consistently goes for decisions or gets decisions, then it's a failure on their part. Some MMA fights can be exciting and end up with a decision.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    The only person who lost in this fight was GSP
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,187Free
    The ref seperated them while GSP was rocked because JOHNY's mouthpiece came out. The fight very well could have ended there.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 65-41

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• rideforeverrideforever Posts: 120Free
    I lost too, lost my chance to see gsp get finished. Hendricks says he could have provided that but wanted to play it safe even though he didn't need to. What's that about?
  • kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,660Free
    iNOOB said:

The ref seperated them while GSP was rocked because JOHNY's mouthpiece came out. The fight very well could have ended there.

Well, he waited until they were in a stalemate at least. It was like 20 seconds after he lost the mouthpiece. Usually, the ref will stop it right away or within a few seconds.
    MMA_FTW said:

From the point of view for an MMA fan, I don't think it's always a failure if you do not get a finish. If a fighter consistently goes for decisions or gets decisions, then it's a failure on their part. Some MMA fights can be exciting and end up with a decision.

Fights that end in decision can be exciting, but aren't they more exciting if there's a finish, isn't that the best part?

MMA_FTW said:

Fights that end in decision can be exciting, but aren't they more exciting if there's a finish, isn't that the best part?
    It definitely is more exciting to see a KO or submission. I'm just not disappointed in the fighter unless they show a characteristic of themselves that they have at least 4 fights in a row go to decision.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
    iNOOB said:

Ref should have put them back in clinch. GSP was in trouble but managed to grab onto Hendicks, potentially saving himself and then ref separates them because of Hendricks mouthpiece.
  • kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,660Free

Hendricks:

Dana:

Hendricks:

Me:

That was the most intelligent thing Dana said at the post fight presser.

After his little tirade from GSP announcing his "break", he calmed down & became a bit more rational.

If Hendricks beat GSP by decision and then went on to beat his next 3 opponents by decision, I'd be just as disappointed at Hendricks.
    MMA_FTW said:

MMA_FTW said:

It definitely is more exciting to see a KO or submission. I'm just not disappointed in the fighter unless they show a characteristic of themselves that they have at least 4 fights in a row go to decision.
    It's not about the performance, it was a great fight, it's about his talk afterwards. If you fail to finish a fight, do you have the right to say you won?

I hate when people say they're better than someone, specially right after they fail to prove it. He doesn't need to tell everyone he won, we all know that, he should just take responsibility for leaving it in the hands of the judges, let everyone else say he won.

MMA_FTW said:

MMA_FTW said:

It's not about the performance, it was a great fight, it's about his talk afterwards. If you fail to finish a fight, do you have the right to say you won?

I hate when people say they're better than someone, specially right after they fail to prove it. He doesn't need to tell everyone he won, we all know that, he should just take responsibility for leaving it in the hands of the judges, let everyone else say he won.
    In the post conference, Hendricks did explain that he will use this as a learning experience and try to do better. He pretty much mentioned everything you are writing.
    MMA_FTW said:

In the post conference, Hendricks did explain that he will use this as a learning experience and try to do better. He pretty much mentioned everything you are writing.
    He said all kinds of stuff, got a few decent points in but most of it was just whining and complaining. He even negated his whole 'learning experience' line 3 times. He said it's happened before, he said Dana always says don't leave it in the hands of the judges and he said he knows some judges say you have to beat a champ it can't be close. This isn't a learning experience, he knew it was risky going to decision.

He decided that was less risky then trying to finish GSP. He felt it was risky to try to finish GSP and now he's hiding that pretending he did better than he did saying next time he'll finish him. Don't get me wrong, he did really well, but he didn't finish so he shouldn't say he whooped him and he could have finished. He had his chance to prove it and didn't take it. Put up or shut up.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,072Free
    Losing by a decision is a great thing, because it means you can't get KO'd nor submitted. Doh!
    You want to lose via KO in the 1st?
  • S6XStringzS6XStringz Posts: 1,067Free
    Rory almost jinxed GSP man, that could have been a bad night for Tri Star. Although, technically GSP lost... so it was. Disregard previous statement.