My UFC 167 Recap; Main Event Thoughts

NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,862Free
edited November 2013 in UFC
First off, yesterday was **** amazing!! It was so much fun being there. I haven't read through much of the forum threads yet, but I am assuming it went up in flames when GSP was announced the winner lol.

Here's what I honestly think about the main event, agree or not, it's my opinion. I'll be as unbiased as possible.

Hendricks clearly won rounds 2 and 4. GSP won rounds 3 and 5. Round 1 was very close. Both got a takedown each. GSP going for the sub might have squeaked him out the win for that round, but it was very close. Not saying he won the round, idk who took it, I'm just saying that could have given him the nod the fact that he had him in a sub. Which by the way, after Hendricks got out of it, I looked to the dude sitting next to me and I was like "did GSP just go for a guillotine?!" lol

Anyways, the fight was very close. And even though GSP may have landed more strikes than Hendricks, Johny easily did way more damage to GSP than GSP did to Hendricks. Taking that into account, along with the grappling exchanges, I think Hendricks should have gotten the nod.

All in all, it was a great **** fight. I hope we can all agree on that. GSP was able to take Johny down and Johny was able to take him down. I was very impressed with the way Hendricks was able to position him on the fence and push GSP off of him. It was the first time we saw GSP get outgrappled like that, Hendricks was easily the best wrestler he's faced and he did a great job against Georges and proved to be his biggest challenge. He did what he said he was gonna do, he pressured GSP and brought the fight to him, something his past challengers never did.

Despite whatever people say about GSP, he displayed some great heart and a great chin, he took some big shots from Hendricks. You can't deny he came to fight and he did a great job at countering Hendricks with punches. The takedown he got in the beginning of the fight was nicely executed.

The fight was awesome to see live. Every round was very intense and there was just a buzz in the air that made the fight, and event in general, a joy to experience. The rematch needs to happen.
Post edited by NyteRyder on
2013 Predictions League: 231-142
Forum Etiquette Guide
The Questions Thread
Tagged:

Comments

• NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,862Free
    MilesGun said:

There is nothing significant that GSP did in the first round. Hendricks landed some hard elbows and a good knee on GSP. Easy 1st round win for Hendricks.

He got a takedown and had Johny in a guillotine, as well as landing strikes of his own. Can't say he didn't do anything significant cause he did.
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,390Free
    I actually thought the fight was kind of bad fro both fighters.Johnny was doing nothing except strength moves,he used his superiorsize to control GSP on the fence,exactly what he did versus koscheck.
    Gsp seriously needs to incorporate more into his game,he does not have an active guard and needs to utilize a ton more kicks,especially his low kick which he never throws with any conviction.

Johnny's striking was just wild and after round 1,he never forced the action ,it was GSP forcing the whole fight,then Johnny would just use his size to stop the action when he needed.
    I like to see a lot more skill in these fights,i am still impressed by Condit's last fight,he showed me a lot of everything from heart and desire to striking,his ground work was solid ect ect.I was never a Condit fan,not in the least but he has grown on me, that is what i like to see from a champion ,he is also a class act as well.

As of right now or even the last while,GSP has not impressed me and does not improve his game,his coaching "Firas" is imo over rated as an overall coach.He is alot like Jackson,he might offer a few good things to his game but not a complete coach.Hendrick's definitely has no skills,he is merely the largest guy in the 170 division,reminds when Hughes was Champion.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 5,195Free
    edited November 2013
    I said the same thing about GSP having a solid chin to my friend as we were watching the fight.

Still think he clearly lost though. These terrible decisions are becoming almost comical at this point.

Post edited by Omoplataypus on
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Wise words:

"There are three types of posters here, though some may fall into more than one of these categories.

Fight fans who come here to talk about fights, fighters, promotions and other random things with other posters they have gained a rapport with.

Retards who like to troll and flame and be generally annoying so as to gain undue attention because they have little else to offer.

And people who like to feed the retards by providing a willing and interactive audience, they also enjoy trolling and flaming but do so with sarcasm and wit."

-TheSinsterUrge
  • PoloPolo Posts: 12,359Free
    Good to see you're not fanboying NyteRyder.

Glad you enjoyed the event.
    Daniel Cormier turns fans into retards.
    Av bet with PunchCan on the Overeem/Rothwell fight.

• KOTMFKOTMF Posts: 370Free
    I'm going to watch this fight again in silence and see exactly who I think won. I too thought GSP was damaged a lot more but Hendricks is powerful and GSP scars and bleeds easily, he's looked just as bad, even in his more dominant performances so I don't think I will look at his face as an indicator as to who won. From what I recall, I think Hendricks did more damage and the significant strikes go to him, but it seemed like a much closer fight that some of you are making it out to be. I recall seeing GSP push the pace the entire fight and you can argue that he had control most of the time. Hendricks is bigger and stronger than GSP and was able to manhandle him in the grappling, but we all knew that was going to happen. I will watch again and provide my opinion once I concentrate on the whole fight.
  • ZaGOATZaGOAT Posts: 3,273Free
    You went to a UFC event and didn't post pics of what went down?! What a NEWB. Just kidding bro haha. Glad you had a good time. Most people had Big Rigg winning. I didn't really care about that fight so I didn't really care about the result.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 8,499Free
    not everyone tries to take pictures of themselves with fighters to pretend they got friends
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• PoloPolo Posts: 12,359Free
    PunchBag said:

not everyone tries to take pictures of themselves with fighters to pretend they got friends

LoL Why are you so butthurt about ZA taking pictures with celebrity fighters?
    Daniel Cormier turns fans into retards.
    Av bet with PunchCan on the Overeem/Rothwell fight.

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 10,246Free
    I'll admit as much as I give him **** GSP showed a good chin for the most part I was surprised and it was actually a good fight but there's just no way he won the fight. First round Hendricks was nailing him with uppercuts on one leg then messed him up with the elbows while GSP was trying to take him down against the fence that was the most significant part of the round.

Watched it twice now the round I think was really close was the 3rd but either way that would be 49-46/48-47 at worst to Hendricks it wasn't close or hard to score for me.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner
    image image
    It was really fun. Gotta say though, it was really disappointing for me to see Kos getting KO'd. I was actually rooting for him, but I knew he was gonna lose. Some of the first exchanges Woodley hit him with he was in trouble already and I was just thinking it's just gonna be soon til he gets hit with a big shot and soon enough...bam!

That KO was sick though. Also I was very happy Cerrone won that fight!
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread

I'll admit as much as I give him **** GSP showed a good chin for the most part I was surprised and it was actually a good fight but there's just no way he won the fight. First round Hendricks was nailing him with uppercuts on one leg then messed him up with the elbows while GSP was trying to take him down against the fence that was the most significant part of the round.

Watched it twice now the round I think was really close was the 3rd but either way that would be 49-46/48-47 at worst to Hendricks it wasn't close or hard to score for me.

I was impressed by GSP's chin. I didn't think he could take those hard shots by Hendricks. GSP actually stood with Hendricks, which I didn't think would go over too well, but he held his own for the majority of the fight. Yes, he took more damage, but Hendricks is strong and GSP scars and bleeds easily, he's got some **** skin. First round goes to GSP after re-watching it, and 2nd goes to Hendricks, but not in dominating fashion, GSP still had octagon control. I'm going to watch round 3 now.
  • kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    i actually had it just the way the judges scored it. gsp 1-3-5, hendricks 2 and 4

not gonna pretend hendricks didnt do more damage, thats pretty obvious, but really he had a couple of big moments and lost the majority of the standup. the numbers bear that out, plus gsp had one extra TD and the lone sub attempt.

fact is it was very close, and people calling it the "worst decision ever" are hater who were dying to see gsp get taken out. truth is it was super close but gsp just did more and the numbers bear that out

other than that...sonnen belongs at 185 and that proved it bad. read today thats exactly whats happening, good for him. i thought the fight was pretty even on paper but as soon as i saw them standing next to each other i knew he was gonna have a bad night

kos....enjoy wsof.

cerrone...welcome back. awesome stuff. back to the main card, shouldnt have been off it in the first place, esp on this card.
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 10,246Free
    KOTMF said:

I was impressed by GSP's chin. I didn't think he could take those hard shots by Hendricks. GSP actually stood with Hendricks, which I didn't think would go over too well, but he held his own for the majority of the fight. Yes, he took more damage, but Hendricks is strong and GSP scars and bleeds easily, he's got some **** skin. First round goes to GSP after re-watching it, and 2nd goes to Hendricks, but not in dominating fashion, GSP still had octagon control. I'm going to watch round 3 now.
    I can't see GSP getting round 1, 2 or 4 at all imo when I watched it as for standing he didn't really have a choice Hendricks TDD was awesome there was a point where GSP had a leg and was pulling him to the middle of the octagon trying to get a takedown and Hendricks slid across the floor on one leg his balance was crazy good.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner
    image image
    GSP has a great chin. Most ppl that say he has a glass chin are either GSP haters or trolling, cause he just proved he can take a punch from the most powerful guy in the WW division.

That being said, I can't wait for the rematch. Johny is gonna come back stronger for sure, but so will GSP. Not gonna be surprised if Hendricks is the favorite in that fight either. GSP will really need to pressure him if he wants to beat him in the rematch.
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,914Free
    NyteRyder said:

GSP has a great chin. Most ppl that say he has a glass chin are either GSP haters or trolling, cause he just proved he can take a punch from the most powerful guy in the WW division.

That being said, I can't wait for the rematch. Johny is gonna come back stronger for sure, but so will GSP. Not gonna be surprised if Hendricks is the favorite in that fight either. GSP will really need to pressure him if he wants to beat him in the rematch.

Hendricks only punched with 70% power though. I believe him.
  • Spartacus__Spartacus__ Anderson is still the GOAT thoughPosts: 6,167Free
    kyo_sa said:

i actually had it just the way the judges scored it. gsp 1-3-5, hendricks 2 and 4

not gonna pretend hendricks didnt do more damage, thats pretty obvious, but really he had a couple of big moments and lost the majority of the standup. the numbers bear that out, plus gsp had one extra TD and the lone sub attempt.

fact is it was very close, and people calling it the "worst decision ever" are hater who were dying to see gsp get taken out. truth is it was super close but gsp just did more and the numbers bear that out

other than that...sonnen belongs at 185 and that proved it bad. read today thats exactly whats happening, good for him. i thought the fight was pretty even on paper but as soon as i saw them standing next to each other i knew he was gonna have a bad night

kos....enjoy wsof.

cerrone...welcome back. awesome stuff. back to the main card, shouldnt have been off it in the first place, esp on this card.

You're calling Dana White, 97% of the MMA jornalists and fighters haters, just because you disagree with them.

It's the worst decision ever because it's worth a belt.

Nobody cares about a Facebook Prelim robbery
  • Kevbo_JonesKevbo_Jones Posts: 16,029Free
    edited November 2013

kyo_sa said:

kos....enjoy wsof.

You're calling Dana White, 97% of the MMA jornalists and fighters haters, just because you disagree with them.

Argumentum ad populum, which is clear cut flawed logic.
    Post edited by Kevbo_Jones on

edited November 2013

kyo_sa said:

kos....enjoy wsof.

The mistake that most people are making is looking at the damage caused by looking at GSP's face after the fight. I believe if you watch the fight closely, you will see it was very close, could have gone either way and that edge usually goes to the champ. I think the pro's and fighters all would like the scoring system to be based on damage and not take other things into account and that's why they say it was a robbery. People should be complaining about the way fights are scored and not that this was a robbery because if you look at all the judging criteria, GSP won the fight and it's not a horrible decision at all.

Also, a lot of people who didn't actually watch the fight objectively are just jumping on the bandwagon calling this the worst decision ever, this is why the number of people complaining is so high.
    Post edited by KOTMF on