Should Dana White openly voice his open opinion/displeasure in official judging matters?

JonBonesJonesFanJonBonesJonesFan Posts: 13,359Free
edited November 2013 in UFC
Should Dana White openly voice his open opinion/displeasure in official judging matters?

After any notable fight goes to a decision that he disagrees with he always openly provides his opinion. In some cases he is professional and says the common line "If you don't agree with it, you should never let it go to the judges." Other times he makes statements openly discrediting the athletic commission. My personal opinion is that being a fight promoter and president of the largest MMA organization he should not participate in such things. I believe it discredits his own organization and disrespects the fighter he won, but who he believes did not win.

What are your thoughts?
Post edited by JonBonesJonesFan on

Dana White's open opinions after events

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
The GOAT Rain_Wizard slapped the taste out of my mouth.

LyGOATo MachiGOD and Go to Guy made Gegard Mousasi and me their wife for five rounds
Tagged:

Comments

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
    Yes
    If someone that is high profile doesn't voice their concerns, how do things change? Besides that its more honest to voice issues than just staying quiet.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,163Free
    Yes
    Yes, I like that he shares his opinion.

Especially after that awful robbery.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• JonBonesJonesFanJonBonesJonesFan Posts: 13,359Free
    No
    Do you all think this helps with solidifying that the UFC does not fix fights? I mean it is in their best interest for GSP to remain on top at the moment and with Dana openly saying GSP lost, NSAC sucks, etc it helps solidify that don't you think?

LyGOATo MachiGOD and Go to Guy made Gegard Mousasi and me their wife for five rounds
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,538Free
    Yes
    I love the scrumms because Dana is always 100% honest in those scrumms!!!
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

No
    If Dana truly felt decisions were worse off while having that athletic commission govern the match he should meet privately address his concerns and adjust the meeting venues accordingly.

No

Sure he's honest but 'should' he be doing that?

No
    Obviously there is no right or wrong answer just curious to hear your opinions.

Yes

Do you all think this helps with solidifying that the UFC does not fix fights? I mean it is in their best interest for GSP to remain on top at the moment and with Dana openly saying GSP lost, NSAC sucks, etc it helps solidify that don't you think?

His opinion on the judging more reinforces the fact that fights aren't fixed. Had he said nothing about that decision, I would have thought that their was something dirty going on for sure.

"Believe in the beard"

Yes
    If Dana would of tried to support the decision like Florian did, I would of thought the **** was fixed for sure.

Hendricks beat the breaks off GSP and it was reassuring the see the President agree that he was robbed.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

No
    PoloRidah said:

If Dana would of tried to support the decision like Florian did, I would of thought the **** was fixed for sure.

Hendricks beat the breaks off GSP and it was reassuring the see the President agree that he was robbed.

how about in matters like Jones/Gus?

• FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    Yes
    Dana sharing his honest opinions is a good thing. I think him opening up with his views helps make the UFC easier to relate with and shows that there are brains in there not just some dudes bashing each other to death.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
    No
    The way I'm looking at this is what is the appearance of the NFL if the commissioner began disputing calls on the field that could have had costly implications?

For example, the Seahawks/Packers game from when the interim refs were on. From what I can recall he did not make comments, instead he helped strike a deal faster with the actual refs.

No
    so what i'm getting from the vast majority is that it's beneficial and ok for Dana to provide his honest opinion. Should he go about it in a different manner though?

Yes

If Dana truly felt decisions were worse off while having that athletic commission govern the match he should meet privately address his concerns and adjust the meeting venues accordingly.

Why should it be private? What damage was caused by making it public? I could give a **** less if they don't like public criticism. Its called transparency and public outcry is the greatest motivator for change.

"Believe in the beard"

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,348Free
    Yes
    I immediately thought that's it this **** is fixed and he didn't have that angry look on his face he usually does if some bs happens when he's giving GSP his title, but then I hear he disagreed with the decision and is openly talking about it which changed my opinion quite a bit. Now you can only really blame the judging which I do although there is the possibility Dana done it for show and to distance himself snd the UFC from fans thinking it's corrupt not saying it's like that but it is possible, controversy sells and the rematch will definitely sell even more now to.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,717Free
    Yes
    Yes. Voice your opinion loud and proud, if people complain, tell em to pipe down.
  • TheRock598TheRock598 Posts: 3Free
    Yes
    It is so sad to see fighters get robbed of their win in Boxing because judges are probably playing with their cell phones instead of watching the fight they are getting paid to judge :( Now it is the same way in UFC. I and many of my friends who love UFC are so disappointed with how this fight was judged that it causes us to start to lose interest in the sport. Such a shame :(
    Someone definitely need to intervene to get the judging back on track.
    No
    I feel like the downside to proclaiming his disagreement in such a profound manner seems disrespectful and unprofessional. I do not see it as hurting the UFC brand/image as he's been doing so for a long time and the sport has only grown.

I think there are better ways he could discuss his opinions on the matter. For example, addressing the issue upon asked by the media would be acceptable if he provided an answer that wasn't belittling anyone or anything. He's done so in the past and that to me feels more professional. I believe in a sport striving to gain more legitimacy its' core needs to act and behave in a manner that is consistent with other professional sports.

Also, I don't think an athletic commission will care if there is public outcry. This isn't the first time a controversial decision has been made, and there hasn't been any progress to adjust or change anything.

edited November 2013
    Yes

I feel like the downside to proclaiming his disagreement in such a profound manner seems disrespectful and unprofessional. I do not see it as hurting the UFC brand/image as he's been doing so for a long time and the sport has only grown.

I think there are better ways he could discuss his opinions on the matter. For example, addressing the issue upon asked by the media would be acceptable if he provided an answer that wasn't belittling anyone or anything. He's done so in the past and that to me feels more professional. I believe in a sport striving to gain more legitimacy its' core needs to act and behave in a manner that is consistent with other professional sports.

Also, I don't think an athletic commission will care if there is public outcry. This isn't the first time a controversial decision has been made, and there hasn't been any progress to adjust or change anything.

Professionalism is nothing more than etiquette. Judges are screwing fighters on a continuous basis out of their hard earned win. People who don't do their jobs properly don't deserve etiquette especially when they screw others out of titles, money, and fame due their gross incompetence.
    Post edited by waikru on

"Believe in the beard"

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Dana was only like that because gsp might be retiring, if he was 100% certain he wasn't there is no chance he would of been as vocal.

it's bad for business if gsp quits now, Dana always wants a guy to lose the belt before he leaves the business. So by saying what he said it helps his own cause.
    Dana White is a butthead.
    As president and founder of UFC ...shut up .Not only was the decision correct .You showed your ignorance about the sport.
    Since when in all boxing or UFC history has the fact a fighter is swelled up or bruised up prove who won the fight.
    Hendricks fought like a brawler; tried to beat GSP and overpower him. He did not succeed; plain and simple.
    GSP had variety of defense, punches kicks and wrestling and grappling moves kept busy and won overall the majority of rounds to retain the belt.
    Simply Hendricks did not do enough to win the belt.
    Anyone who disagrees with this decision mearly shows theyre ignorance of the sport.
    Dana White uses people to make his millions then throws em under the boss.
    Just respect the sport your fighters and shut the hell up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,836Free
    Yes
    Dana didn't make it to where he is, and cultivate the following he has, by being a suit-and-tie zombie. There's obviously maleficence, and maybe even corruption, afoot and he needs to protect his business by calling out -- even lambasting -- the recklessness of select douches who denigrate the sport with their incompetence. His criticism and ridicule puts these dummies on public watch and, hopefully, gives them something to think about when under normal circumstances they face absolutely zero consequence for their gross misjudgments.
    Yes
    bluesy said:

Dana didn't make it to where he is, and cultivate the following he has, by being a suit-and-tie zombie. There's obviously maleficence, and maybe even corruption, afoot and he needs to protect his business by calling out -- even lambasting -- the recklessness of select douches who denigrate the sport with their incompetence. His criticism and ridicule puts these dummies on public watch and, hopefully, gives them something to think about when under normal circumstances they face absolutely zero consequence for their gross misjudgments.

P4P post!

"Believe in the beard"

Yes
    Mrbbb said:

As president and founder of UFC ...shut up .Not only was the decision correct .You showed your ignorance about the sport.
    Since when in all boxing or UFC history has the fact a fighter is swelled up or bruised up prove who won the fight.
    Hendricks fought like a brawler; tried to beat GSP and overpower him. He did not succeed; plain and simple.
    GSP had variety of defense, punches kicks and wrestling and grappling moves kept busy and won overall the majority of rounds to retain the belt.
    Anyone who disagrees with this decision mearly shows theyre ignorance of the sport.

I see people go full retard on these boards on a daily basis but rarely do I see someone unlock that achievement on their SECOND post.

You sir need to create a new account and try again.

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,816Free
    Yes
    Mrbbb said:

I am respecting the sport of MMA because I don't want it to turn into the corruption that has filled the sport of boxing.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
  • GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,803Free
    waikru said:

His opinion on the judging more reinforces the fact that fights aren't fixed. Had he said nothing about that decision, I would have thought that their was something dirty going on for sure.

^^ Waikru said it best.
    No
    Thanks for all your input fellas.

• _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,538Free
    Yes

Why not? I think it works out perfectly Dana is one of the reasons why the UFC/MMA is the most growing sport on the planet and it will be the biggest sport company in 20years from now on
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

No
    btw the fact that @Mrbbb is agreeing with my stance hurts my discussion.

also, I like Dana as being 'founder' of the UFC.

edited November 2013
    No

Why not? I think it works out perfectly Dana is one of the reasons why the UFC/MMA is the most growing sport on the planet and it will be the biggest sport company in 20years from now on
    At it's current level I don't think his behavior is detrimental but if they are to expand more I feel like it would be best served to have more independence and impartiality towards the outcomes of fights.
    Post edited by JonBonesJonesFan on