Is GSP the #1 P4P Fighter in the World now?

NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,424Free
edited November 2013 in UFC
Despite the controversial decision, GSP did get the win. And Hendricks was the greatest threat to his belt (and still is).

You can talk about 70% blah blah blah, but GSP didn't get KO'd, he stood with Hendricks, was able to match his wrestling and take him down three times compared to Johny's two, which by the way GSP has still not been taken down three times in a fight.

Anderson Silva (the p4p great for many years) greatest threat was Chris Weidman. And he got KTFO by him. GSP's greatest threat was Hendricks, and he technically beat him and they were FOTN.

That being said, he's now defended his belt 9 straight times. He surpasses (or should) Anderson on the p4p list with that win, so is he the #1 p4p fighter now? Or is it Jones? Or Aldo?

IMO GSP could be #1 now. ***Just so we are clear,*** read this closely GSP haters for clarification, I thought Johny won the fight, all I am saying is that since GSP technically won, that should propel him in the ranks. So is he #1 now? If you think the win aspect doesn't matter, losers don't get win bonuses; they don't get that extra money. Do you think Rory MacDonald got extra money for his loss? No.Hendricks was probably awarded a win bonus though, at least I think Dana would give him one.

Alright if you managed to read all this without immediately raging please try to have reasonable, logical responses. Thanx.

Discuss.
Post edited by NyteRyder on

Is GSP the #1 P4P Fighter in the World now?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
2013 Predictions League: 231-142
Forum Etiquette Guide
The Questions Thread
Tagged:

Comments

• Epiqu1nEpiqu1n Posts: 1,464Free
    No
    not quite
    List of GOAT Fighters

1. Michael McDonald
    2. Nick Diaz
    3. Demetrious Johnson
    4. Matt Brown
    5. Rashad Evans
    6. JDS
    7. Joe Lauzon
    8. Patster
    9. Carnage
    10. 12er
    11. LayDownDead
    12. Diego Brandao
    13. Papy Abedi
    14. Tom Brady
    15. Russell Wilson
    16. Manhoef
    17. Scott Jorgensen
    18. Elias Silverio
    19. Fabio Maldonado
    20. Louis Smolka

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    No
    no dude. sure the judges gave him the win, but he clearly was hurt, beaten up and severely damaged.

GSP is a good guy and deserves his recognition. But he should retire. He was at best p4p#2 after the Condit fight.
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,424Free
    No

no dude. sure the judges gave him the win, but he clearly was hurt, beaten up and severely damaged.

GSP is a good guy and deserves his recognition. But he should retire. He was at best p4p#2 after the Condit fight.

Fair enough.

Maybe I could revise the question.

Is he higher than Anderson Silva now considering they just took on their biggest challenges, Anderson got KTFO and GSP went to a decision (ofcourse lol). So would that make GSP higher than Anderson?
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    No
    NyteRyder said:

Fair enough.

Maybe I could revise the question.

Is he higher than Anderson Silva now considering they just took on their biggest challenges, Anderson got KTFO and GSP went to a decision (ofcourse lol). So would that make GSP higher than Anderson?
    I think Anderson's domination and fighting at LHW outshine the difference between GSP and Anderson's last fights.

Plus GSP really looks like he should retire, while Anderson still looks strong.
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,161Free
    How come is he the P4P #1 if he's the underdog against Hendricks?

No
    True dat. Anderson is still top 5 p4p in the world. Getting KO'd by Weidman is a little setback, but once he gets his title back in December, he'll retake his position as #1 p4p fighter in the world, imo.
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,822Free
    edited November 2013
    Just winning isn't enough; to be number one P4P you need to dominate the competition.
    Post edited by classicboxer on
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,531Free
    No
    No he cuts too much weight. Massive weight cutting bums shouldn't even be in p4p discussions

Cain Velasquez is p4p the #1 fighter in the world.
    No
    Now that I think about it more, I don't see him being #1, even though he technically won.

But who is #1 now? It can't be Jones because he is coming off a similar loss and has less defenses than GSP.

Maybe it is Aldo then?? What about Barao? It can't be Anderson at the moment because he's coming off a loss.

Only logical response is Bobby Green.
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
    I don't think he is number 1 and don't think he ever was. He was always just short of being number 1 and I think the main reason was due to him not finishing fights. I think if he finished even every 2nd fight he had he could have been No. 1, unfortunately he isn't though. But he'll go down in history as one of the greats that's for sure
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
    edited November 2013
    No
    Forgot about Cain. He's up there for sure.

My revised list would be..

1. Aldo
    2. GSP
    3. Jones
    4. Silva
    5. Barao
    6. Cain.

Maybe 3 and 4 could swap as well as 5 and 6 swap
    Post edited by NyteRyder on
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • 12er12er Posts: 10,792Free
    edited November 2013
    No
    No because he looked very ordinary against Hendricks. He's clearly on the decline, he hasn't even been able to lay on dudes like he used to. **** Diaz was stuffing some of his take downs. I'll be surprised if Hendricks doesn't put the last nail in his coffin with a finish next fight. It was a stoke of luck that he retained the belt.

All trolling aside, I think the P4P list should look like

Aldo
    Barao
    Weidman
    Cain
    Pettis

Anderson and GSP have both fallen off and time for the champ hugging forum members to move on to their new favorite fighters.

Not to mention, who is to say Hendricks is the toughest fight for GSP. There's new blood at 170. He's got Matt Brown, Robbie Lawler and Hector Lombard all gunning for that strap. Condit is closing in on a rematch too, though he'll probably need perfect timing and at least one or two of the guys I mentioned to lose or be injured to get a rematch.
    Post edited by 12er on
  • idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    Yes
    WAR GSP!!!!
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
  • AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,161Free
    It depends on the criteria you use.

If it's about how dominant he's compared to his opponents (possible contenders), it goes something like:

1) Cain
    2) Aldo
    3) Barão
    4) Pettis
    5) DJ
    6) Jones
    7) GSP
    8) Weidman

No
    12er said:

No because he looked very ordinary against Hendricks. He's clearly on the decline, he hasn't even been able to lay on dudes like he used to. **** Diaz was stuffing some of his take downs. I'll be surprised if Hendricks doesn't put the last nail in his coffin with a finish next fight. It was a stoke of luck that he retained the belt.

Aldo
    Barao
    Weidman
    Cain
    Pettis

Anderson and GSP have both fallen off and time for the champ hugging forum members to move on to their new favorite fighters.

Not to mention, who is to say Hendricks is the toughest fight for GSP. There's new blood at 170. He's got Matt Brown, Robbie Lawler and Hector Lombard all gunning for that strap. Condit is closing in on a rematch too, though he'll probably need perfect timing and at least one or two of the guys I mentioned to lose or be injured to get a rematch.

I could agree with the top 4 of that list, but not Pettis. Even though I'm a Pettis fan, he just won the belt and hasn't even defended it yet.

I know the same could go for Weidman, but Weidman came in undefeated and took out the best fighter in the world. Pettis took out Henderson who was winning split decisions every two fights. Pettis is one of the best in the world no doubt.

Other than that, GSP has been falling off. I'm not so convinced about Silva falling off yet. I think he is gonna get his belt back in December, but f he loses then certainly he will lose a lot of his momentum and that aura he has about him.
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    Yes
    gsp is goat
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,822Free

gsp is goat

Is a young GSP getting KO'ed by Serra worse then an old Silva getting KO'ed by Weidman?
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    No
    Anderson Silva doesn't lose controversial decisions. End of story.
    the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.
  • 12er12er Posts: 10,792Free
    No
    NyteRyder said:

12er said:

Aldo
    Barao
    Weidman
    Cain
    Pettis

I could agree with the top 4 of that list, but not Pettis. Even though I'm a Pettis fan, he just won the belt and hasn't even defended it yet.

I know the same could go for Weidman, but Weidman came in undefeated and took out the best fighter in the world. Pettis took out Henderson who was winning split decisions every two fights. Pettis is one of the best in the world no doubt.

Other than that, GSP has been falling off. I'm not so convinced about Silva falling off yet. I think he is gonna get his belt back in December, but f he loses then certainly he will lose a lot of his momentum and that aura he has about him.
    You're not wrong. I was considering putting DJ at 5 but I took depth of their divisions into account. flyweight is just too shallow right now but DJ is up there. Same goes for the womens division.
  • S6XStringzS6XStringz Posts: 1,067Free
    No
    Anderson is still number 1. Can't really take him down a notch or two or three just because his stupidity cost him a fight. Let's wait for the rematch and let him go try hard, if he loses then we can drop him down 10 notches. But as of right now, Anderson is still the most dominant fighter in the UFC, and then Jones. Jones looked like crap against Gustaf but that fight was actually a toss up, unlike the poor call in the GSP v Hendricks fight.

I think if Aldo fights Pettis and beats him we're putting him up there in the top 2 or 3.
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Had he gotten a non controversial win over Hendricks I would say yes. Since he didn't it may be Aldo or Barao now. P4P rankings are in Limbo right now.

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,250Free
    No
    12er said:

NyteRyder said:

12er said:

Aldo
    Barao
    Weidman
    Cain
    Pettis

You're not wrong. I was considering putting DJ at 5 but I took depth of their divisions into account. flyweight is just too shallow right now but DJ is up there. Same goes for the womens division.
    @12er that gif in your sig is P4P
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,582Free
    No
    He lost to Hendricks, at best he's #2. Poor GSP, Anderson finally lost and he still couldn't move up
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,250Free
    No
    Hendricks just beat the living **** out of GSP and you make a thread asking if he's P4P#1

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    No
    Wow. I don't think I've seen a poll this one sided on this forum before.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,166Free
    No
    No, I had him at #1 before this fight though. Like Jon Jones, GSP's last fight damaged his P4P status.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 65-41

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,291Free
    No
    PETTIS

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion