What happened to our dominant champions?

MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
edited November 2013 in UFC
Okay, like a year ago it looked like no one was going to dethrone Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and Georges St. Pierre (even if you didn't like him.) That's not the case any more.

Silva got knocked out. People like me say that it was just because he was goofing off, but he still got knocked out. He's not the champion anymore. He's not getting any younger, either.

Then Jon Jones almost got tapped by Vitor Belfort. He blew through Chael, but then he had a controversial decision with a fighter who was given no chance against him; really just someone who had been considered a pretty good fighter, at best. A lot of people seem to believe Gussstthaphffsonniona won that fight.

And GSP has been ragdolled in his last three. His last fight...I think he might have technically won that one, but I also think he technically lost that one. D'ya know what I mean? He really got his butt kicked and he just barely squeaked by, and it would be absolutely acceptable to argue that Hendricks was the one who "barely squeaked by," though it really would have been a shame to award a title to someone who "barely squeaked by" a victory against a champion who has successfully defended the title against the best the UFC had to offer TEN times prior to this fight? I mean, come on...who the heck is Hendricks?

Cain still looks solid, though he couldn't seem to finish JDS in two outings (one sorta' expects a finish in the Heavyweight division,) despite getting knocked out the first time their paths crossed. And, the best in the Lightweight division has always been a crapshoot; they all seem to equally talented. The other weight classes don't matter. Sorry...they just don't.

The long-time stars don't seem so invincible, anymore (Maybe Jones isn't so "long-time," but he has held the title for 2 and ahalf years, which is a while.) That's a shame. As a boy growing up watching kung-fu movies, I like to think there's someone out there that's like a superhuman. It seemed as though these three stars had that going for them. I don't think they do, anymore.

Post edited by Megasoup on
Member of the People's Freedom Movement

Tagged:

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,380Free
    Megasoup said:

Okay, like a year ago it looked like no one was going to dethrone Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and Georges St. Pierre (even if you didn't like him.) That's not the case any more.

Silva got knocked out. People like me say that it was just because he was goofing off, but he still got knocked out. He's not the champion anymore. He's not getting any younger, either.

Then Jon Jones almost got tapped by Vitor Belfort. He blew through Chael, but then he had a controversial decision with a fighter who was given no chance against him; really just someone who had been considered a pretty good fighter, at best. A lot of people seem to believe Gussstthaphffsonniona won that fight.

And GSP has been ragdolled in his last three. His last fight...I think he might have technically won that one, but I also think he technically lost that one. D'ya know what I mean? He really got his butt kicked and he just barely squeaked by, and it would be absolutely acceptable to argue that Hendricks was the one who "barely squeaked by," though it really would have been a shame to award a title to someone who "barely squeaked by" a victory against a champion who has successfully defended the title against the best the UFC had to offer TEN times prior to this fight? I mean, come on...who the heck is Hendricks?

Cain still looks solid, though he couldn't seem to finish JDS in two outings (one sorta' expects a finish in the Heavyweight division,) despite getting knocked out the first time their paths crossed. And, the best in the Lightweight division has always been a crapshoot; they all seem to equally talented. The other weight classes don't matter. Sorry...they just don't.

The long-time stars don't seem so invincible, anymore (Maybe Jones isn't so "long-time," but he has held the title for 2 and ahalf years, which is a while.) That's a shame. As a boy growing up watching kung-fu movies, I like to think there's someone out there that's like a superhuman. It seemed as though these three stars had that going for them. I don't think they do, anymore.

The guy who just beat the **** out of GSP.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
    PoloRidah said:

Megasoup said:

The guy who just beat the **** out of GSP.
    Yeah, I've never argued against that. Actually, I stated this in the original post.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• NewMMAFansSuckNewMMAFansSuck Posts: 1,803Free
    The challengers have gotten better..
    Edson Barboza 2014 Lightweight Champion!

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,346Free
    RamGOAT was the only dominant champion
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free

GOATpage needs to rematch the mexcicutioner to leave no doubt.

FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • Jason_H.Jason_H. Posts: 2,202Free
    You are finally catching up to the sport. Congratulations. You are officially not a noob anymore.
    What??
  • secondsoutsecondsout Posts: 445Free

GOATpage needs to rematch the mexcicutioner to leave no doubt.

But there is no doubt....Beltran offered nothing.

b-(
    Tina Turner, secondsout, Steve Podborski, zaksame, Nate Diaz - when you are legit, people want you to quit
  • MattNMattN Posts: 1,299Free
    GSP is hardly a dominant champ and no longer undisputed. You have to finish your opponents in dominate fashion.

Anderson is closer to that.

Come to shows, they're all humans full of flaws in a sport where you make a little mistake could cost you the fight, and your livelihood.

Which I'm glad. If every division has invincible champ, which is impossible and it will kill the sport in the long run.
    Favorite fighters:

Shane Carwin

Anderson Silva

Frankie Edgar
  • AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,285Free
    Megasoup said:

I think he might have technically won that one, but I also think he technically lost that one.

• MMAGunsMMAGuns Posts: 193Free
    As far as Silva and GSP, it's called age. They are approaching (or may already be there) that threshold where their skills can't keep up anymore.
    Brown
    Gus
    Machida
    Condit
    Cerone
    Edgar
    Faber
    Uncle Creepy
    Rousey
  • AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,285Free
    The sport is evolving. We will see less and less dominant champions as the years go by.

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,030Free
    edited November 2013
    Megasoup said:

His last fight...I think he might have technically won that one, but I also think he technically lost that one.

We are all laughing at you.

Post edited by waikru on
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• the_vageniusthe_vagenius Posts: 219Free
    even gandolf? dang everyone is laughing at him
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free
    edited November 2013
    Mighty Mouse is the one of the dominate champs left

Jose Aldo is so dominate he scared Pettis back up into a heavier division
    Post edited by BruteDion on
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • MMAGunsMMAGuns Posts: 193Free
    Aldo, Barao, Rousey and maybe Mighty Mouse are dominant champs. So is Jones really, as I don't see who else is out there to beat him. Gustafson came closest so far but the rest have been straight forward wins.
    Brown
    Gus
    Machida
    Condit
    Cerone
    Edgar
    Faber
    Uncle Creepy
    Rousey
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    If you look at the three mentioned,i think the fans ,well some of them pointed out distinct flaws that perhaps had people over rating the Champions.
    GSP was perhaps the only guy that looked untouchable,however Hendrick's is a HW fighting at 170,is that really fair to discredit GSP ?

Silva,MANY especially myself has said for years he is ONLY a striker and any wrestler would give him a tough go.Well Sonnen proved that ,and again many including myself said Weidman would beat Silva and i had never predicted Silva to lose before but it seemed too obvious to me.

Jones..In this case i think EVERY single fan and forum user was saying he is all size with average skills.Even Jones admitted his skills are average,but he is a complete fighter.SO Jones faces his first challenge in a guy of equal size and struggles,no problem ,it was expected.

Aldo several fights ago was almost beaten by Hominick ,so he was made to look quite beatable.

Cain imo has looked dominant even when he got beat,that was a fluke win by JDS.The majority predicted a Cain win in a rematch and was easily the dominant fighter.What bothers me about a LOT of Brasil fighters is they seem to have little respect for others outside Brasil and often never acknowledge their defeats.JDS got literally owned and was saying Cain hit like a girl and never hurt him,umm ya ok.Then Cain destroys him again.

Who else we got Barrao..what weight class is he in?A women's weight class?Seriously?If he wants to prove he is a legit champion get out of the children's weight classes.Not impressed with anyone building up wins in a kids weight class.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,824Free
    GSP was NEVER a dominant champ
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,458Free
    WarWest said:

GSP was NEVER a dominant champ

lol ww be trollin
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,458Free
    edited November 2013
    Mighty Mouse, Aldo, Barao, and Cain are still dominant champs. Pettis has yet to defend so he's not applicable to this debate.

GSP, Silva, and Jones just faced their toughest challenger. Silva losing obviously, but getting the rematch and his belt back too B-)

Hendricks and Gus just gave the blueprint on how to beat GSP and Jones. GSP has a great chin considering the amount of damage he's taken his last three fights, but no one will give him that credit because they hate him too much. Hendricks, the biggest power puncher in the WW division, couldn't even KO GSP (inb4errmeehgerdhewasonlygoing70%hewouldhaveKO'dhimifhewasgoing100%). And Jones showed a great chin too.

And it's only soon until the great Michael MacDonald wins the BW title overthrowing Barao. Dude's a beast.

If I had to choose a couple champs who would undoubtedly dominate their divisions the next couple years it would be Cain and Mighty Mouse.
    Post edited by NyteRyder on
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • NeckCrankNeckCrank Posts: 821Free
    lol, that original post was one of the biggest can posts i have ever read
    images (2).jpg
    258 x 195 - 6K
    ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()