Grey Maynard needs to utilize his wrestling more and stop looking for knockout 100% of time

TheOne2020TheOne2020 Posts: 30Free
He is stronger than anyone at 155, but if u stand with someone who strikes faster than you and is crisp like nate diaz he can get cought rapidly. Maynard could of easily man handled diaz but chose stand and look for knockout
Tagged:

Comments

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 10,246Free
    He tried to wrestle Diaz ended up judo throwing him and when he did get him down Nate got up straight away.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner
    image image
  • MegasoupMegasoup The Second Sexiest Man Alive (Who Regularly Goes to Club Viva)Posts: 2,637Free
    I remember when he tried to wrestle Diaz in their first encounter. He ended up on the wrong side of a triangle.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

Wrong side of a guillotine choke
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image
  • MegasoupMegasoup The Second Sexiest Man Alive (Who Regularly Goes to Club Viva)Posts: 2,637Free

Wrong side of a guillotine choke

I never research any of my "facts."
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• TheBigDTheBigD Posts: 461Free
    Maynard's striking is vastly overrated. He got knocked out by Edgar......
  • poonmachinepoonmachine Posts: 2,083Free
    I think diaz just looked great and not so much maynards GP like Wanderlei said he tried wrestling couldn't keep the td and got judo thrown. Nate looked on point with his striking and his wrestling defence looked improved aswell
    FF

Rickson Gracie

Wanderlei Silva

Thiago Alves

Nogueira

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 12,100Ultimate
    His last good win was against Florian, that's a LONG time ago
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • Solid_SnakeSolid_Snake Posts: 11,815Moderator, Ultimate
    Yep, he a wrestler that's pretending to be a boxer. It shows what happens when you fight the way the forums want you to fight.
    GSP MAFIA

Leonie fan since day one....No questions asked.

The Funny Thread

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkar

Yep, he a wrestler that's pretending to be a boxer. It shows what happens when you fight the way the forums want you to fight.

Terrible excuse he come to wrestle which is obvious by his takedown attempts and clinching but to do that he had to set it up with strikes and Nate out grappled, out struck him and won.
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image

Terrible excuse he come to wrestle which is obvious by his takedown attempts and clinching but to do that he had to set it up with strikes and Nate out grappled, out struck him and won.
    It's not an excuse, I don't care that he lost.lol But he's not the bully anymore. He tries to box and he's been knocked out multiple times for it. When he goes full wrestler mode, he's dangerous.
    GSP MAFIA

The Funny Thread

It's not an excuse, I don't care that he lost.lol But he's not the bully anymore. He tries to box and he's been knocked out multiple times for it. When he goes full wrestler mode, he's dangerous.
    Like I said he tried to wrestle and got handled I don't mind Gray but he wasn't just trying to box you could make the argument in some other fights but not this one imo.
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 8,498Free
    the second fight with nate, maynard ate all of nates punches and didnt so much as get wobbled so after failing to get nate down he probably didnt feel any urgency to keep pursuing until it was to late.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

Like I said he tried to wrestle and got handled I don't mind Gray but he wasn't just trying to box you could make the argument in some other fights but not this one imo.
    This fight is a perfect example. He came out and took Nate down and tooled him. Nate even got a hip toss in and Maynard still kept control. He was winning that round and then went full boxer mode and got beat.
    GSP MAFIA

The Funny Thread

like i said because he didnt feel he was in any danger with nates striking, i think his plan was to wrestle still but he wasnt urgent for the takedown. Had the fight gone on he would have gone for more takedowns but i guess nates power or his lack of chin surprised him.
    "Believe in the beard"

This fight is a perfect example. He came out and took Nate down and tooled him. Nate even got a hip toss in and Maynard still kept control. He was winning that round and then went full boxer mode and got beat.
    He didn't tool him at all before the finish Nate got up pretty fast after that takedown, landed that great judo throw and then finished him on the feet did you want Gray to just spam takedowns all fight with no striking at all? He needed to mix it up like most wrestlers and lost doing it.
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image

He didn't tool him at all before the finish Nate got up pretty fast after that takedown, landed that great judo throw and then finished him on the feet did you want Gray to just spam takedowns all fight with no striking at all? He needed to mix it up like most wrestlers and lost doing it.
    Maybe tooled was the wrong word, since he did no damage. But he easily controlled Nate, and after the hip toss Maynard still had control and pushed Nate up against the cage. Nate showed no ability to stop his takedowns, so why stop taking him down? Is that not a better alternative to getting knocked out?
    GSP MAFIA

The Funny Thread

• NewMMAFansSuckNewMMAFansSuck Posts: 1,803Free
    I think Grays chin was greatly overrated. People say he cant take a shot now? When has he ever been able to take a shot? In just about all his wins, hes done a great job at avoiding getting hit with power shots. But lately, he thinks hes some elite striker and has been getting KTFO because of it. He needs to go back to his roots if he ever plans on going on a streak again.
    Edson Barboza 2014 Lightweight Champion!

Maybe tooled was the wrong word, since he did no damage. But he easily controlled Nate, and after the hip toss Maynard still had control and pushed Nate up against the cage. Nate showed no ability to stop his takedowns, so why stop taking him down? Is that not a better alternative to getting knocked out?
    Nate is dangerous on the ground he maybe felt like he needed to set it up more than just going in with the same tactic from what I remember there wasn't really a point where Gray abandoned the takedown completely after they got up he just got caught with multiple punches and finished.
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image

Nate is dangerous on the ground he maybe felt like he needed to set it up more than just going in with the same tactic from what I remember there wasn't really a point where Gray abandoned the takedown completely after they got up he just got caught with multiple punches and finished.
    I don't know man, I just think the ground is where Maynard needed to be for that fight, and every other fight at that. Despite Nate's good BJJ, I doubt he subs Maynard in the first, if at all.
    GSP MAFIA

The Funny Thread

edited December 2013

I think Grays chin was greatly overrated. People say he cant take a shot now? When has he ever been able to take a shot? In just about all his wins, hes done a great job at avoiding getting hit with power shots. But lately, he thinks hes some elite striker and has been getting KTFO because of it. He needs to go back to his roots if he ever plans on going on a streak again.

in nate vs maynard 2 (their first ufc fight outside tuf) he ate all of nates punches and stood and traded with him for 3 rounds
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 39,092Free

lmao
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    PunchBag said:

in nate vs maynard 2 (their first ufc fight outside tuf) he ate all of nates punches and stood and traded with him for 3 rounds
    Nates striking is a lot better than it was in the first fight outside tuf it's been obvious since the Gomi fight imo, Grays chin likely isn't as good as it maybe was after two KO's but Diaz striking is much better no doubt.
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image

PunchBag said:

Nates striking is a lot better than it was in the first fight outside tuf it's been obvious since the Gomi fight imo, Grays chin likely isn't as good as it maybe was after two KO's but Diaz striking is much better no doubt.
    agree, i think grey thought he would be able to take the shots and thats why he wasnt in a hurry for the takedown. But he was wrong
    "Believe in the beard"