Statistical analysis of the improvement of team alpha male post bang era

12er12er StocktonPosts: 10,993Free
Whether these results are surprising is not really important. Analysis is still a valuable tool, even when it simply confirms what we already thought to be true. Many believed that Ludwig’s arrival in Sacramento marked an improvement in the team’s performance. But with these analytical findings, now we know that to be true. It’s not a small improvement, it’s significant, and it’s across the board. Team Alpha Male is now a new and improved breed of solid wrestlers that have added crisp and violent striking to their arsenal. While fans of the sport have shared the benefits that this team of “Uber Males” has brought to the UFC, opponents in the promotion’s smaller divisions should be justifiably concerned.

With Benavidez, Faber, Mendes, and Castillo all competing at the UFC on FOX 9 card in their home-field arena in Sacramento, a lot of attention will be given to their performance. In terms of market expectations, Benavidez is currently considered a slight underdog to incumbent champion Demetrious Johnson. Lines on the rest of the Alpha Males are still pending at the time of this writing, but I expect Faber to have a close matchup with McDonald, Castillo to be a possible underdog to Barboza, and Mendes to be the only one getting a clear favorite line over Lentz. These should all be fun fights to watch. But there’s a lot at risk here for Team Alpha Male who are still seeking their first UFC title, and for head coach Duane Ludwig, who is hoping to end 2013 with a Bang.

http://www.cagepotato.com/the-bang-effect-a-statistical-look-at-2013s-most-improved-mma-team-databomb/

This a very interesting article, you have to actually read it and see the stats to appreciate it.

Discuss.
If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, then turn to them the other cheek, then keep turning until you deliver a roundhouse kick to his jaw. - Matthew 5:39

GOATer
Tagged:

Comments

• TigerChampTigerChamp Nicolas CagePosts: 3,671Free
    I have to say... holy **** shitballs...

When its broken down like that it's insane. The team is better at every aspect of MMA since he arrived, and by huge margins.

Even the one area they were already renowned for- wrasslin, has improved, by going for less per round but having more than 100% improvement in the actual success rate.

Duane has done a fantastic job to improve an already stronk team.

Team Alpha Male will have a champ amongst their ranks very soon...

Check out the trophy wall http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147934/forum-trophy-wall#latest
  • 12er12er StocktonPosts: 10,993Free

When its broken down like that it's insane. The team is better at every aspect of MMA since he arrived, and by huge margins.

Even the one area they were already renowned for- wrasslin, has improved, by going for less per round but having more than 100% improvement in the actual success rate.

If those hacks give it to Jackson again I'm going to be pissed.
    If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, then turn to them the other cheek, then keep turning until you deliver a roundhouse kick to his jaw. - Matthew 5:39

GOATer
    edited December 2013

That's awesome, I'd like to see a comparable breakdown of the combined stats of athletes pre and post joining blackzilians

I'd enjoy that to, I'm pretty sure the results would show a marked decline in performance. I think they have too many chiefs and not enough indians over there.
    Post edited by 12er on

GOATer
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,086Premium
    12er said:

That's awesome, I'd like to see a comparable breakdown of the combined stats of athletes pre and post joining blackzilians

I'd enjoy that too, I'm pretty sure the results would show a marked decline in performance. I think they have too many chiefs and not enough indian's over there.
    Vitor's really the only one I can think of who got better after joining, and I'm pretty sure his improvements are more because of the karate lessons then the blackzilian coaching. (Is he even still at blackzilians?)
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• TigerChampTigerChamp Nicolas CagePosts: 3,671Free
    12er said:

If those hacks give it to Jackson again I'm going to be pissed.
    its pretty hard to argue with those kinds of numbers, and it's not like Alpha Male was a bunch of scrubs.

Check out the trophy wall http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147934/forum-trophy-wall#latest

12er said:

I'd enjoy that too, I'm pretty sure the results would show a marked decline in performance. I think they have too many chiefs and not enough indian's over there.
    Vitor's really the only one I can think of who got better after joining, and I'm pretty sure his improvements are more because of the karate lessons then the blackzilian coaching. (Is he even still at blackzilians?)
    I think he is, I'm not to sure though. I don't really pay attention Vitor or that camp at all.

GOATer
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free
    I love to see things like this since I'm a coach myself in another sport

It's such a rewarding experience to see someone you care about take the teaching you give them and they apply it and get great results...it's a victory most don't understand but once you get a taste ur addicted to it

I also think this is a case of a group of wrestler willing to go out of their comfort zone to learn a new art...Alpha Male has maybe the highest wrestler rate of fighters then any other guy and they bring in a striking guy and it vastly improves thief overall game

This is something lost on other styled guys it's seems...BJJ and Striking gyms don't often do this (there are exceptions like Rufusport drilling BJJ hard) and cuz of this they are falling behind the wrestlers

I'm very happy for Ludwig and I bet he found a new vist for life cuz if this also
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,086Premium
    I didn't read the whole article but skimming over one thing I didn't see was a stat of competition level difference.

I know Mendes has had a noticeable decrease in ranking of opponents, is this a trend and also why their stats have improved greatly?
    Compared with blackzilians, who have been facing top competition and earning title shots, or even the mythical Dolce curse, who's fighters I believe are losing because they are facing top contenders or champs.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,323Free
    good read and even more impressive when u consider Dillashaw got robbed in his last fight. To be fair though Bang is really a case of right place right time. Anybody could have came along and looked like coach of the year with the competition Alpha Male has been fighting this year. It's funny the timing of this article too. They could have waited till the end of the year but they know Benavidez and Faber have tough match ups.

• AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,285Free
    _TUF1_ said:

good read and even more impressive when u consider Dillashaw got robbed in his last fight. To be fair though Bang is really a case of right place right time. Anybody could have came along and looked like coach of the year with the competition Alpha Male has been fighting this year. It's funny the timing of this article too. They could have waited till the end of the year but they know Benavidez and Faber have tough match ups.

They're both winning doe

• MMAGunsMMAGuns Posts: 193Free
    Thanks for posting this. Pretty impressive numbers!
    Brown
    Gus
    Machida
    Condit
    Cerone
    Edgar
    Faber
    Uncle Creepy
    Rousey
    _TUF1_ said:

I'm pretty sure its because its close to the end of the year and they have four dudes fighting this weekend.

GOATer
  • KleitonKleiton Posts: 273Free
    New Union even better though

• NewMMAFansSuckNewMMAFansSuck Posts: 1,803Free
    Duane Ludwig is a boss. With that said, theres a good chance Team Alpha Male could go 0-3 this weekend.
    Edson Barboza 2014 Lightweight Champion!

edited December 2013

Duane Ludwig is a boss. With that said, theres a good chance Team Alpha Male could go 0-3 this weekend.

They have 4 guys fighting. I'd say Mendes is a lock to beat Lentz. There's a good chance Castillo wil wrestle **** Barboza to a decision as well.

Faber beating McDonald and Benavidaz beating MM are tall orders though.
    Post edited by 12er on

GOATer
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,380Free
    12er said:

They have 4 guys fighting. I'd say Mendes is a lock to beat Lentz. There's a good chance Castillo wil wrestle **** Barboza to a decision as well.

I think Faber has a better chance at winning than Castillo.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

Care to elaborate on your thinking?

GOATer
    12er said:

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

I just feel like Faber's experience and strength advantage over McDonald is going to get him a win and that Castillo is going to struggle more trying to implement his game plan on Barboza.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

I just feel like Faber's experience and strength advantage over McDonald is going to get him a win and that Castillo is going to struggle more trying to implement his game plan on Barboza.
    Not a bad line of thinking. I think Barboza is overrated though. Then again, Castillo is no where close to being on Fabers level so I guess it evens out.

I'm rooting for Mendes. I don't care about Castillo. I like both Faber and McDonald so I'll just sit back and enjoy that one. I'd like to see Alpha goat get a belt, but I don't mind MM so I won't be too upset either way on that one.

GOATer
    12er said:

I completely forgot about Mendes. I really cant see Lents beating Mendes anywhere. I believe Barboza's ground game is underrated. Im a little biased though as you can tell by my sig. I really do believe Barboza will light up Castillo from start to finish.

Faber vs Mcdonald is the toughest fight to call in my opinion. They are both just so talented and they both dont really have any weaknesses. I would give an edge in the ground game to Faber but Mcdonald's striking is ruthless.

12er said:

I completely forgot about Mendes. I really cant see Lents beating Mendes anywhere. I believe Barboza's ground game is underrated. Im a little biased though as you can tell by my sig. I really do believe Barboza will light up Castillo from start to finish.

Faber vs Mcdonald is the toughest fight to call in my opinion. They are both just so talented and they both dont really have any weaknesses. I would give an edge in the ground game to Faber but Mcdonald's striking is ruthless.
    Fair enough. What do you think about the main event?

GOATer
    12er said:

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

Not a bad line of thinking. I think Barboza is overrated though. Then again, Castillo is no where close to being on Fabers level so I guess it evens out.

I'm rooting for Mendes. I don't care about Castillo. I like both Faber and McDonald so I'll just sit back and enjoy that one. I'd like to see Alpha goat get a belt, but I don't mind MM so I won't be too upset either way on that one.

Barboza is very over rated. I'd like to see Varner KO him again.

I'll be rooting for:
    Mendes- Definitely going for Money here, one of my favorite fighters.
    Joe B- He just much more likable than Mighty Mouse to me. lol
    Castillo- He gets a bad rap on these boards but I don't mind the guy.
    Faber/McDonald- I like both fighters but I'll be neutral here. I do think Faber will win the fight though.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

PoloRidah said:

12er said:

Barboza is very over rated. I'd like to see Varner KO him again.

I'll be rooting for:
    Mendes- Definitely going for Money here, one of my favorite fighters.
    Joe B- He just much more likable than Mighty Mouse to me. lol
    Castillo- He gets a bad rap on these boards but I don't mind the guy.
    Faber/McDonald- I like both fighters but I'll be neutral here. I do think Faber will win the fight though.
    We're on the same page here.

GOATer
    12er said:

12er said:

Fair enough. What do you think about the main event?
    I really dont know man. I wanna believe Benevidez has vastly improved since their last fight but MM is just a special kind of fighter. Hes seriously a puzzle. His gameplan, footwork, agility, striking and ground game are always top notch. There are no holes in his game. I like Benevidez a lot but I think he would have to finish MM to win this fight. I cant see him winning a decision.

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,824Free

His name is Joe B.
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • MuhammadAliMuhammadAli Posts: 98Free
    He is using performance enhancing drugs (AKA Weed) to make him a better fight strategizer and coach. I think he the commission should boot him out and replace him a pro-TRT coach.. It is only fair.
  • MuhammadAliMuhammadAli Posts: 98Free
    Also 12er, "Duane Ludwig, who is hoping to end 2013 with a Bang". Your puns are really next level in this post.

He is using performance enhancing drugs (AKA Weed) to make him a better fight strategizer and coach. I think he the commission should boot him out and replace him a pro-TRT coach.. It is only fair.

This is true, he's a confirmed marijuana addict. A dark stain on an otherwise impeccable resume.

GOATer

Also 12er, "Duane Ludwig, who is hoping to end 2013 with a Bang". Your puns are really next level in this post.

lol that was the the articles writer, he is P4P.

GOATer