Over/Under for Silva/Weidman 2 ppv buys

UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,142Free
The UFC is admittedly in a death spiral for PPV. They are so in the tank since 2008 that they are talking about getting out of the PPV biz altogether. A lot of that tankage can be attributed to Brock Lesnar skewing the buy rates in the first place. SIlva is not one of the promotions big draws and never has been. Blackzillians just don;t ring the register, and Weidman is literally nobody.

I would put the over/under here at a half million. \\

I am taking the under.
Tagged:

Comments

• NewMMAFansSuckNewMMAFansSuck Posts: 1,803Free
    Dana White keeps calling this the biggest card they've ever done. In terms of buys, I don't think its gonna come close to UFC 100.
    Edson Barboza 2014 Lightweight Champion!

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,402Free
    edited December 2013
    It will do over half a mil I'd have thought it's sad Lesnar is a bigger draw fighting than some of these much more talented fighters like Anderson etc

The card as a whole probably isn't as big on paper as UFC 100 just simply because they had Lesnar and the whole of Canada watching GSP plus the other title fight on 168 Rousey vs Tate isn't really competitive at all as much as some haters want to believe, Rousey will sub her in the 1st again however I'd rather watch Silva vs Weidman fight again over anything on the 100 card.
    Post edited by wanderleisilva101 on
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,192Free
    GSP vs Silva before the Weidman fight is the only thing that could have sniffed UFC 100 numbers. Would be surprised if it broke a mil.

• Ares11Ares11 Posts: 1,479Free
    I'd say around 750K-800K is a good bet. No doubt this is a huge PPV, but it won't come close to UFC 100.
    Favorite fighters:

HW: Lesnar, Schaub, dos Santos
    LHW: Gustafsson, OSP
    MW: Weidman, Jacare, Mousasi
    WW: Hendricks, MacDonald, Ellenberger, Thatch
    LW: Cowboy, Khabib
    FW: McGregor, Poirier
    BW: McDonald
    FLW: Dodson, Bagautinov
    Women: Aleksandra "Stitch" Albu, PaigePage

Predictions Tournament 8 Champion

WAR Elysium MMA

• TheBigDTheBigD Posts: 423Free
    Who doesn't want to see an Ogre barrel over people in the octagon?
  • PRIDEneverDIEDPRIDEneverDIED Posts: 8,957Moderator, Ultimate
    162 sold 550k....same main event with some interesting and marketed match ups for 168 dunno what else is on TV that night but 500 is prolly around what it will do tough call
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,607Free
    I think you guys are underestimating Rousey's following a bit.

Plus Weidy vs Spidey 2 is probably the biggest fight of the year except for JDS/Cain 3.

Will break 500 no doubt about it.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

Plus Weidy vs Spidey 2 is probably the biggest fight of the year except for JDS/Cain 3.

lulz Rousey's following averaged the lowest TUF ratings ever and JDS/Cain 3 did some of the worst PPV numbers of any title fight this year. You have convinced me it will do less than 500,000 now.

• PabloskyPablosky Posts: 675Free
    do you think that a company that keeps growing its not making money with the PPV?

thanks god im less stupid now!

_TUF1_ said:

lulz Rousey's following averaged the lowest TUF ratings ever and JDS/Cain 3 did some of the worst PPV numbers of any title fight this year. You have convinced me it will do less than 500,000 now.
    No one cares about TUF and people don't watch it live anyway. They will buy the PPV to see her fight though.

Surprised to hear Cain/JDS did bad numbers.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

edited December 2013

Cain vs jds 3 only sold 330k.....Rousey's vs carmouche did 450k

Source...dunno how reliable
    http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

Post edited by PRIDEneverDIED on
  • By all accounts GSP was the UFC's number PPV draw and he co - headlined UFC 100 .... Jon Jones is probably their number one now and Anderson Silva next .... it's been a while since the Spider entered the octagon as the challenger and I would go for over 500K. I'm def intrigued by this re-match. Also, Ronda Rousey has been selling her fight against Meisha Tate very nicely for the UFC ..... got to go over 500K for the last event of the year.

_TUF1_ said:

No one cares about TUF and people don't watch it live anyway. They will buy the PPV to see her fight though.

Wouldn't her following follow TUF? and yeah i heard the 300-350k range. No bueno.

_TUF1_ said:

_TUF1_ said:

Wouldn't her following follow TUF? and yeah i heard the 300-350k range. No bueno.
    Since she wasn't fighting maybe not. Plus I don't think ratings tell the whole story with all the ON DEMAND and such available. I didn't watch one episode live.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

yeah but on demand has been around for a few years. Knee grows been using T-vo since TUF 1 came out and the ratings have never been so bad. They tried to draw in the handicapped community with Rousey like Bisping brought the Brits and it didn't work.

holy crap i can't tell you how long i've been looking for a list like this. I check wiki and Dave Meltzer's twitter but they're both pretty inconsistent on sharing the figures regularly. Thank you. And the numbers on the list all look consistent with others i've seen so.

_TUF1_ said:

holy crap i can't tell you how long i've been looking for a list like this. I check wiki and Dave Meltzer's twitter but they're both pretty inconsistent on sharing the figures regularly. Thank you. And the numbers on the list all look consistent with others i've seen so.
    Yea it's nice to have date main event fight and figures all in one shot in chronological order...it seemed pretty legit and it mentions Meltzer as a source so I'm glad it helped seems like they update it regularly
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,269Free
    This event won't sell over $250k

its Christmas, people have better **** to do then watch a Human Cockfight

I know for sure I won't be watching it, i'll be chillin on the beach, y'know the **** you are supposed to do at Christmas
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • jpc_ultimatejpc_ultimate Posts: 980Free
    I dont think its gonna do more than 500k... Silva isnt a big draw, its who he fights that sells the fight...
    Think about when he fought Okami, he sold around 350k. while UFC 148 sold near a milion, simply because Chael Hyped the fight so much
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    I think that it will do well. I have quite a few friends that are casual fans that are excited for a rematch. I will take the over on 500k.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• NewMMAFansSuckNewMMAFansSuck Posts: 1,803Free
    They'll be lucky if they break 600k. UFC PPV's are over saturated. They need to make more free cards and a lot less PPV's.
    Edson Barboza 2014 Lightweight Champion!

• UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,142Free
    _TUF1_ said:

The UFC is admittedly in a death spiral for PPV. They are so in the tank since 2008 that they are talking about getting out of the PPV biz altogether. A lot of that tankage can be attributed to Brock Lesnar skewing the buy rates in the first place. SIlva is not one of the promotions big draws and never has been. Blackzillians just don;t ring the register, and Weidman is literally nobody.

I am taking the under.

Link to where the UFC admitted they're in a death spiral and are getting out of the PPV business? Even with a slight drop in the buyrates they would never drop PPVs. That's where they rape the dollar the most. And Silva is probably their biggest draw currently. I don't think they should drop the PPV model but i would like to see them adopt more of a boxing PPV model. 4 or 5 big PPV's with more free cards to build up your stars. Getting far too watered down and Dana is too stubborn to admit it.
    The UFC does not release reliable numbers for PPV buys, and they have never said they are in a death spiral, but even by their own reckoning PPV buys have declined every year since 2008. That is 5 straight years of ever decreasing buys. And we are talking huge down.

This couch potato article is a good primer on MMA PPV but you really need to dig in and do some research in order to get a solid understanding o what the numbers really are in this sport. There is no 2 minute slide show for this one.

http://www.cagepotato.com/cagepotato-presents-a-comprehensive-breakdown-of-the-ufcs-ppv-numbers-and-how-they-can-improve-them/

While the PPV model has worked in the past the new reality is that it may not work in the future and the UFC may be further ahead giving all their content to a network and getting the biggest network contract possible. The problem revolves around this: the MMA fan will watch the whole show - but the new MMA fan might only want the main event. So how do you get the most value for your main event?
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free

I am taking the under.

haha dude if you took the under on that bet you would need like 300:1 odds

Silva was on the longest and most impressive win streak in the history of the company and is having a rematch against the guy who just KO'd him! That is pretty big, and Meisha/Ronda 2 is actually a very marketable fight too

I think you gotta put it somewhere between 800K - 900K

I don't see anyone on their roster a bigger draw than Silva currently...and Weidman's undefeated at the moment and has some drawing ability himself

Granted, GSP and Brock were much bigger draws and Weidman is still a minor draw, but the idea of Silva finally coming off a loss and the main event being a rematch for the title is pretty huge
    edited December 2013
    Silva averages just over half a million buys.

If the rate of decline on UFC buys continues on the pace established over the last 5 years he will struggle to make a half million here.

I see nothing in this UFC that would reverse such a strong trend.

I'm sticking with the under.

BTW Silva is only number 11 on the all time buys per event list. He is only 7% above the average(Lersnar is 97%). So he brings very little gate to an event. The fact is that black brazillians do not ring the register. Neither do unknown American wrestlers.
    Post edited by UFCCagerattler on
    edited December 2013

_TUF1_ said:

I am taking the under.

Link to where the UFC admitted they're in a death spiral and are getting out of the PPV business? Even with a slight drop in the buyrates they would never drop PPVs. That's where they rape the dollar the most. And Silva is probably their biggest draw currently. I don't think they should drop the PPV model but i would like to see them adopt more of a boxing PPV model. 4 or 5 big PPV's with more free cards to build up your stars. Getting far too watered down and Dana is too stubborn to admit it.
    The UFC does not release reliable numbers for PPV buys, and they have never said they are in a death spiral, but even by their own reckoning PPV buys have declined every year since 2008. That is 5 straight years of ever decreasing buys. And we are talking huge down.

This couch potato article is a good primer on MMA PPV but you really need to dig in and do some research in order to get a solid understanding o what the numbers really are in this sport. There is no 2 minute slide show for this one.

http://www.cagepotato.com/cagepotato-presents-a-comprehensive-breakdown-of-the-ufcs-ppv-numbers-and-how-they-can-improve-them/

While the PPV model has worked in the past the new reality is that it may not work in the future and the UFC may be further ahead giving all their content to a network and getting the biggest network contract possible. The problem revolves around this: the MMA fan will watch the whole show - but the new MMA fan might only want the main event. So how do you get the most value for your main event?
    lol tells me to do research... doesn't do any research.

The UFC hasn't admitted to a death spiral like you say.
    They haven't been in the tank since 2008 and haven't been talking about getting rid of the PPV biz.
    Silva has been one of the biggest draws since 2008. (The card he headlined against Okami was affected by half the east coast of the US being without power due to an ice storm) Research that if you don't believe me.
    The UFC has not been in a decline every year since 2008 like u say either.

do you make a habit of posting biased lies as fact?
    Post edited by _TUF1_ on

• PabloskyPablosky Posts: 675Free
    edited December 2013
    500k PPV are almost 20 millons dollars, plus advertising, media networks rights, its a **** load of money!!! and the OFFICIAL numbers we'll never know because noone share public their PROFIT.

why do you think ufc 168 its more expensive? because its going to be a fail??? NO **** WAY this its going to be one the most important MMA events of the year, even more, this could be epic, just like the 1st fight....

do you remember how did you feel at the end of round 1? I COULDNT sleep that nite because of the excitement, and im going to buy that 20 dollars (f. u. D. W.) PPV and im a third world man!!!

so quit it! and enjoy this amazing fight god damn it!!

:P
    Post edited by Pablosky on
    thanks god im less stupid now!

"Silva has been one of the biggest draws since 2008."

Read the link I gave you.

Silva is not a big draw and never has been and never will be.

That's just a fact. Borck Lesnar alone outdraws the UFC because MMA is small potatoes.

Get it?