Jamie Varner vs Donald Cerrone 3

horrorfan663horrorfan663 Posts: 767Free
edited December 2013 in UFC
Why hasn't this fight been made yet?

Their rivalry was one of the greatest in the WEC's history and with the score tied at 1-1 I don't see how the UFC doesn't jump on this in 2014.

Why have Donald fight a nobody when you can set him up against his nemesis?

Both men are 3-2 in their last five against stiff competition. So don't go saying either is above the other.

Who takes it?
Post edited by horrorfan663 on

Jamie Varner vs Donald Cerrone 3

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Silva. idk how i feel about Silva. I feel like anything he had going for him coming into the UFC was ripped away when Cain pulled that drive by on him back at 146. Poor guy never even saw the Astro Van coming.....
Tagged:

Comments

• horrorfan663horrorfan663 Posts: 767Free
    Jamie Varner
    I got Varner by Surprise Rd 1 T/KO
    Silva. idk how i feel about Silva. I feel like anything he had going for him coming into the UFC was ripped away when Cain pulled that drive by on him back at 146. Poor guy never even saw the Astro Van coming.....
  • iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,174Free
    edited December 2013
    Donald Cerrone
    Cerrone already beat the piss out of him twice. I'd expect him to do it a 3rd time.

I know Cerrone lost the first fight. But, from what I recall of it he was winning imo.
    Post edited by iNOOB on
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 65-41

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• horrorfan663horrorfan663 Posts: 767Free
    Jamie Varner
    too bad Cerrone had to play dirty and throw that illegal knee in the first fight huh?

and he still lost....

tsk tsk tsk
  • iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,174Free
    Donald Cerrone
    The second fight more than made up for the first.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 65-41

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• Jamie Varner
    Cowboy doesn't seem like the same Cowboy any more. He's far too inconsistent, because he seems to have lost that killer instinct, at least in some capacity. Varner seems like he's added some things to his game, whereas Cerrone seems to rely on the same tricks, and when guys take them away he doesn't quite seem to know what to do. When faced with adversity, at least recently, Varner answers the challenge while Cerrone tends to fold. Also, anybody that can do what Varner did to Barboza is absolutely worthy of a confidence vote in a fight like this. I'd take Varner by UD this time around by utilizing a better game plan and making effective changes to his strategy throughout the fight; something Cowboy has struggled with recently.
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,402Free
    Donald Cerrone
    Cowboy all day he's been in with far tougher opposition than Varner when he's slipped up and blasted guys on the kind of level Varner has struggled with.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • Jamie Varner
    It's a tough one to call. I was a big fan of both guys from their early WEC days. I felt like Cerrone was the better overall fighter in both their first fights and it showed. When you look at them now though it seems like a bit of a different story. Normally I'd look at common opponents, which would basically be Guillard most recently, but those fights are a bit deceiving. Cerrone had a more impressive showing than Varner when he fought Melvin, but there's a few reasons why I think that is.

Cerrone and Guillard were buddies who knew each other pretty well, though there was a lot of aggression in the buildup of that fight, which led to the outcome that we saw. When Guillard fought Varner there wasn't any of that. It was a more even fight, there was more of a feeling out process, and realistically I think Varner was fighting a much more improved Melvin Guillard than the one Cerrone saw when they fought. I'm not making excuses for either of them, I'm just going based on what I've seen.

When you look at their last 4 fights though, Varner has been much more consistent and has had more quality performances. Cerrone lost to Pettis and Dos Anjos. There's no shame in either of those losses, as both guys are legit beasts (and one is currently the champ), but Cowboy hasn't seemed quite right since he lost the Pettis fight. He's been very unsure of himself and hasn't been going in with the same fervor that he did when he was choking out Siver and knocking out Guillard. Varner on the other hand got a huge TKO win over Barboza and has looked like a much more confident and capable guy recently. His only legitimate loss was to Joe Lauzon in what was an easy pick for fight of the night. His other loss, to Gleison Tibau by SD, was a bit controversial, to say the least. It seems like most people had Varner winning that one, but Tibau was able to steal one via lay n pray.

Cerrone looked better against Dunham, but still not quite right. If the hesitant, unsure of himself Cerrone shows up to fight a confident Varner I would think that Varner would take it, especially being that he's shown several areas of improvement since they fought last. If they both showed up at the top of their game, then it may be a different story, but I'd expect the former over the latter.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,038Free
    I've heard one of their fights was epic. Which one was it? I never saw it.
  • Jamie Varner
    najma said:

I've heard one of their fights was epic. Which one was it? I never saw it.

Both were FOTN recipients, I'm pretty sure. I thought the first fight was better. It was a 5 round title fight.
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,189Free
    Cowboy would take him to Brokeback Mountain if they fought again

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
    Donald Cerrone
    Depends which Cerrone shows up
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • Jamie Varner
    _TUF1_ said:

So you're saying he'd try to ride him??
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,189Free

_TUF1_ said:

So you're saying he'd try to ride him??
    lol even funnier if you remember their scuffle after their second fight final bell rang it looked like 2 gay guys fighting their first kiss

• MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,277Free
    Donald Cerrone
    most likely cerrone would pick him apart on the feet with kicks in a good competitive fight

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,731Free
    Bump
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,142Free
    Would rather see BJ fight either one of these guys instead of Penn\Edger 3 or Cerrone/Varner 3
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,996Free
    Jamie Varner
    Varner by not being a total can.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,172Free
    I'm a huge fan of both guys and an even bigger fan of Varner but he got his **** whipped in the first and second fight. You can argue that he was winning the first fight but cowboy was turning the heat up and the so called knee didn't even look like it landed all that cleanly. Cowboy have the stamp by dominantly beating Varner up for all three rounds. That was the only fight I saw Cowboy being able to fight good when he's angry. I don't think a third match will do anything because if these circumstances and Varner needs to get a nice little streak going before the third match should be talked about and or to happen.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • iamdylanriamdylanr Posts: 423Free
    Donald Cerrone
    Cowboy tko first round