Anderson Silva's age

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
We've seen it with Liddell, Hughes, Royce, Fedor, Wanderlei, and so many others. You may seem unbeatable in MMA for a period of time, but age eventually catches up to everyone in the game.

In the new, ultra-competitive MMA landscape, extremely few people stay at the top of their division 35+

Anderson Silva may be a better fighter than Weidman and of course has the overall better career at this point, but all the UFC champs are basically 20 - 30 in today's UFC so I don't see how much longer Silva could keep on top. I think the thing that kept Silva apart from the rest is that he had a mystique about him that no other fighter was able to carry in the same way...when people just look at him objectively and evaluate his strengths and weaknesses, he may be just as beatable as any other champ. Between the Chonan submission, the first Chael fight, and the Weidman KO there's enough tape to see his holes and exploit them
Tagged:

Comments

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Maybe, but it won't catch up until AFTER Dec 28.

• Gamer9133Gamer9133 Posts: 2,537Free
    WarWest said:

The reason he is able to stay at the top of his division is because he is just that skilled. Mystique has nothing to do with it, he isn't a wizard

Will age catch up? Without a doubt

But saying anything other than his fighting skills have got him this far is laughable

this ^

some people don't realize how skilled he is

2014 is going to be a long year ^

< img src = " post link here " >

take out all the spaces except for between img src

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,220Free
    WarWest said:

The reason he is able to stay at the top of his division is because he is just that skilled. Mystique has nothing to do with it, he isn't a wizard

But saying anything other than his fighting skills have got him this far is laughable

LoL Silva has magical powers bro.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,707Free
    PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

LoL Silva has magical powers bro.
    It's that gypsy magic
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free
    Well.. I think Weidman is a huge challenge... more now than in the first fight.. And he has **** Hannibal Danaher in his team so that's a + for him. But I think if Silva devastates his face in the first 2 rounds in classic fashion all talk will shift to confirming that he was **** around in the first fight and his aura will be back up.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,793Free
    i think it was the competition that caught up with fedor not his age.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• NewMMAFansSuckNewMMAFansSuck Posts: 1,803Free
    PunchBag said:

i think it was the competition that caught up with fedor not his age.

^This

Can't fight cans forever.
    Edson Barboza 2014 Lightweight Champion!

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,354Free
    edited December 2013
    WarWest said:

This age catches up to everyone no doubt but the only reason there was any mystique was because what fighters know Silva is capable of and that is all credit to his fighting skills.
    Post edited by wanderleisilva101 on
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,564Free
    You need a whole life to achieve greatness... Silva is on that GOAT status for a reason. He will prove it once again in about 30 hrs
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,286Free
    his age is 39 sisti

end thread

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,127Free
    Silva is not there mentally any more. I don't think he has been for a while now.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,577Free
    Maybe he's like Kamal Shalorus where they say his age is higher but he's really still in his 20's
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    edited December 2013

his age is 39 sisti

end thread

he's actually 38

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva
    Post edited by Sisti on
  • Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,717Free
    "It's like when Roy Jones Jr. was the best in the world and was beating everybody. He was doing a lot of that type of movement. He would barely get out of way. And towards the end of Roy Jones' career, he got knocked out a few times. Muhammad Ali talked about it, some of these other boxing greats have talked about it -- the difference is, when they were younger, they would get out of the way and a punch would just barely miss them. Now, they're almost getting out of the way and the punch is just hitting them"
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,653Free
    I don't buy it.

Most of the top 10 fighters in each division are 30+.
    Is there another 38+ year old in the top ten.

Cung lee or Hendo maybe.

It is very rare to have a guy fighting well at 38.

Is there another 38+ year old in the top ten.

Cung lee or Hendo maybe.

It is very rare to have a guy fighting well at 38.

not to mention hendo is on trt and on a 3-fight losing streak, including a very bad KO loss in his last fight

so yeah...MMA does make it hard to be successful at 38. anderson is just so f'in good that he's defied that, but he's just another human being as weidman said, and every year anderson gets older is gonna make a big difference

i feel like he should throw in the towel soon and not risk messing with his legacy...same with hendo
    PATSTER said:

Explain how age was a factor for Fedor even though he was in his early 30's when he started to suck?

lost his motivation with time and MMA seems to have fighter's peak at 20 - 25 because of how much injuries accumulate in the sport

look at shogun and bj...you definitely need to avoid damage to be able to stay at your peak...anderson never got KO'd so he was able to stay at his peak longer
    Fedor was 30 plus fights into his career before he began to fade.

People just don't understand the mileage he had on him and how difficult it is to get up for training when you're looking at your 35th fight.

People just don't understand the mileage he had on him and how difficult it is to get up for training when you're looking at your 35th fight.

yeah, exactly...we've seen it in MMA so many times, people don't seem to fight the same once they've been at it for so long. how many times have we seen great fighters say they'll retire after 1 tough loss. i don't think people realize how crazy a fighter's life is to be the best in the world, and how much it must suck to get criticized by the world after you are already crushed because of a fight.

any time you are competing against the world, the toll it takes on someone is more than you could ever realize
    Sisti said:

yeah, exactly...we've seen it in MMA so many times, people don't seem to fight the same once they've been at it for so long. how many times have we seen great fighters say they'll retire after 1 tough loss. i don't think people realize how crazy a fighter's life is to be the best in the world, and how much it must suck to get criticized by the world after you are already crushed because of a fight.

any time you are competing against the world, the toll it takes on someone is more than you could ever realize
    You act like these guys are fighting for free.

These guys fight for a living, they will be okay.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PATSTER said:

PoloRidah said:

Sisti said:

Criticism can only motivate, too.

It's a god tool for improving.
    Very true.

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Sisti said:

do you see the numbers these ppl get paid? Liz Carmouche was in a main event and made less than minimum wage. It's not like MLB or the NFL or anything...MMA is a thankless sport at times
    edited December 2013
    Sisti said:

PoloRidah said:

Sisti said:

do you see the numbers these ppl get paid? Liz Carmouche was in a main event and made less than minimum wage. It's not like MLB or the NFL or anything...MMA is a thankless sport at times
    I don't feel sorry for them at all. They chose that profession and I don't buy into the underpaid ****.

I would imagine the majority of them enjoy fighting, how many people can say they enjoy doing their job?
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Sisti said:

PoloRidah said:

Sisti said:

I don't feel sorry for them at all. They chose that profession and I don't buy into the underpaid ****.

I would imagine the majority of them enjoy fighting, how many people can say they enjoy doing their job?
    well considering 3 guys get paid much much much more than the 500 guys working their **** off, i do think there is some fairness issues there, but i don't feel bad for them. i just think that between getting screwed pay-wise and getting criticized all the time, it's a thankless sport in many ways
    MMA is a small time sport.

Anybody good enough to play baseball or football or basketball would be crazy not to. So much more $$$$
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    I lol@people who think 35 is getting old.It is not even remotely an over the hill scenario,if you keep your cardio up,you can maintain top status easily at 40.The reason why age seems to be a factor is because over time,people are most likely going to suffer serious illnesses or injury,both of which can really set you back a lot.A year off is going to erase a ton of cardio and strength and as you get older ,it gets tougher to get it back.That is why roids are even more a cheat,it allows you to cheat aging and shorten the training and effort it takes to be a top notch athlete.

Silva is still every bit as fast as he ever was and every bit as dangerous,the ONLY difference is he fought a lot of cans.If you stick around long enough,you are going to fight some tougher opponents,guys like Sonnen's wrestling and Weidman an all around MMA fighter.There is still going to be weaknesses to exploit,Weidman is not fast and he does open himself up to strikes,i also do question his cardio,so Silva does have exploits to take advantage of.Of course Weidman also has exploits to give him an edge on Silva but imo NONE of it has to do with age.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • KleitonKleiton Posts: 273Free
    Silva can not be compared to these guys because of his fighting style

Not because he lost a fight he is decadent and he will prove it tomorrow

Yes its all just a coincidence all these 30 plus guys are on the TRT.

Guess what - when your body naturally starts reducing the amount of T is produces that means YOU ARE GETTING OLD.