With Silva & GSP Gone, Who Will Keep The UFC Exciting?

goldfngzgoldfngz Detroit, MIPosts: 119Free
Two of the biggest draws are currently out of the picture. Anderson Silva will need a long, long recovery time, and GSP is going through problems no one understands.

They have been the two most recent, dominant champions of this time. Silva had become a MMA superstar on the level of MIchael Jordan, taking MMA to another plateau. GSP was one of the most respected and revered welterweight champions of all time.

Now that their futures are in doubt, who is left to keep things exciting in the UFC? Who will be the big draw of 2014?

Anthony Pettis is hurt, Cain Velasquez is hurt, Dominick Cruz is coming off a super long layoff after being injured.

Who is left to keep the buzz going? Who will have the most amazing highlight reel?
Tagged:

Comments

• goldfngzgoldfngz Detroit, MIPosts: 119Free
    Maybe he didn't have the most exciting fights, but he was a huge draw.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,581Free
    There's plenty of exciting fighters, exciting fights won't be a problem. The UFC is going to have trouble drawing big numbers for PPV. The only draw left is Rousey
    Rousey's next fight is against Sara McMann. How big do you think this fight will be?
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,707Free
    Bigger than UFC 100
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free
    well I guess Jon Jones since he's the one guy that has been reigning for a long time. Thing is no1 seems to give a **** about Jones.. kinda like he has no charisma. Bit like Chris Weidman..

But these characters are built over time. GSP and Silva drew attention because of their ongoing streak and dominance. There can definitely be long periods where there isn't a single dominant champion.

And to me it's pretty obvious that potential dominant champs below 155 have very little chance to become major icons. That's just the way it is the small guys may put on exciting and nervous performances but they're just too small to really matter in many people's eyes including me.

I think right now Jones has the potential to be this iconic figure or Velasquez, if he keeps it up. Weidman obviously has trouble with building his image and I think he will need to solidify his status by lining up more important wins before he's ever considered positively in the public eye. I mean his only 2 important wins are against Silva and both had a fluke look to it. Not saying they were flukes, but the way they happened and combined to the increasingly common talk about Silva's age are taking a lot of the recognition away from his champion status.
  • NikkiNeversleepNikkiNeversleep ChicagoPosts: 5,030Free
    PATSTER said:

GSP did not keep the UFC exciting you can.

This.
  • OzprideOzpride Posts: 4,048Free
    Matt Brown.......

lol jk he's a massive can

ANZAC like a boss

Sig Bet Record 34W 10L 1D

• MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,385Free
    PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

Who cares what the casual fans like?
    Dude, it's the casual fans that make the existence of this sport possible.

Casual fans buy tickets and pay-per-views. Casual fans buy tickets to local MMA promotions, where fighters compete and build records. As a matter of fact, a lot of the UFC's fight roster is made up of former casual fans.

This sport is not kept alive by a bunch of internet dorks who post on this forum.

It's funny; a lot of you guys crack on me, but I rarely hear anything intelligent come out of any of you.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• OzprideOzpride Posts: 4,048Free
    edited January 6
    Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

Casual fans buy tickets and pay-per-views. Casual fans buy tickets to local MMA promotions, where fighters compete and build records. As a matter of fact, a lot of the UFC's fight roster is made up of former casual fans.

This sport is not kept alive by a bunch of internet dorks who post on this forum.

It's funny; a lot of you guys crack on me, but I rarely hear anything intelligent come out of any of you.
    you tell em Mega'Spoop
    Post edited by Ozpride on

ANZAC like a boss

Sig Bet Record 34W 10L 1D

Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

Same here, except you don't crack on me
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    WarWest said:

Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

Really? Are you a fighter? Are you a bad mofo? I bet you could really school me.

• HellequinHellequin In my car with the garage door closedPosts: 4,165Free
    Big draws are gone, but the UFC will carry on. And I am looking forward to Barao/Cruz.
    Ozpride said:

Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

you tell em Mega'Spoop
    My dad is from Australia. I hate Australian people. Your country sucks, your people suck, your fighters suck and your movies probably suck (I wouldn't know; they don't exactly hit the theaters, ya' know.)

Good for you that you came up with "Mega'Spoop." I can't imagine there's even a single person on this thread that let out so much as a chuckle over that one, but not everyone has a gift for humor or generally being clever. Carry on, mate.

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,240Free
    They can still bring RamGOAT back

its their only chance at survival
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • the_vageniusthe_vagenius Posts: 219Free
    dana was worried as soon as silva broke the leg, he was like, "oh ****, better get ronda to fight again within 10 weeks"....they need nick diaz to comeback ruffle some feathers like rory, and other noteworthy overhyped cans...nick diaz +ronda= good draws, they can save every other card
  • the_vageniusthe_vagenius Posts: 219Free
    and stop showing mighty mouse fights for free would help ppv ratings also.
    Megasoup said:

WarWest said:

Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

Really? Are you a fighter? Are you a bad mofo? I bet you could really school me.
    Yes, no, no, I don't know

Slow down tough guy
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,875Free
    Megasoup said:

Ozpride said:

Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

you tell em Mega'Spoop
    My dad is from Australia. I hate Australian people. Your country sucks, your people suck, your fighters suck and your movies probably suck (I wouldn't know; they don't exactly hit the theaters, ya' know.)

Good for you that you came up with "Mega'Spoop." I can't imagine there's even a single person on this thread that let out so much as a chuckle over that one, but not everyone has a gift for humor or generally being clever. Carry on, mate.
    Got some dad issues huh?

So you direct your hate at a whole country?
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,233Free
    edited January 6
    Tahune said:

Megasoup said:

Ozpride said:

Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

you tell em Mega'Spoop

Got some dad issues huh?

So you direct your hate at a whole country?
    That's Megasoup, the former owner of a failed Kwik Stop. He is intelligent.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    Megasoup said:

Ozpride said:

Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

you tell em Mega'Spoop

Megasoup said:

Ozpride said:

Megasoup said:

PATSTER said:

goldfngz said:

you tell em Mega'Spoop

I have to admit it, megasoup is the most entertainment on the forum in the last few months

The dude consistently delivers
  • idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    gsp is an exciting fighter. the 170.4 pound division will never be the same after his retirement.

Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    Matt Brown
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    Well there is JBJ who is on a win streak and everyone wants to be able to witness a fighter to topple Jones.

I for one would like to see how far Cain will go and watch all the heavies crumble under the immense pressure Cain puts on.

I am interested to see if Weidman will remain undefeated for a long time, possible.

Welterweight is stacked and will be interesting to see who can hold the belt and defend it even for just awhile.

Plenty things to be interesting, we could witness another great fighter to pass all other record holders.
  • DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free
    Joe Silva?
    "It's either blue cheese with wings or go **** your mother." -- MadFlavor
  • DreamahDreamah Posts: 81Free
    I'm sorta thinking UFC is wanting to make Urijah their next big one... Well wanting is wrong word, but they want him to be big I guess, he was huge in WEC in anycase.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    Yes Jones is maybe the ONLY guy and i like Jones but seeing him struggle versus another guy his size really dethrones a lot of his hype.
    I am a purist in sport,i do not believe in any advantages,i hardly doubt there is a guy left in the UFC that does not cast a shadow of doubt.
    The ONLY fighter that i could say is a shoo in for a win is Rousey but with Tate all but out of the picture now,there is no excitement there either.
    I believe the UFC is up to something,they know their sport is very stagnant.They are trying imo to get Brock back,but that won't do much,he has proven to be a CAN.Also we have not heard the last of Cyborg or Gina.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,319Free
    Hendricks, Lawler, Matt Brown, Hunt, Vitor, Cub Swanson, most of the women fighters, I could keep going but I'm pretty sure you're trolling so I'll stop there.
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!