Why we don't see many Knockouts in WMMA

MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,345Free
So, there have been people saying it's because of their built and them not having enough power and so on.

but I believe that it is a fact that they just don't have the proper technique. When do you see a good technical striking match between to women in the UFC ? tbh i haven't really seen one, which would make a point for them just not being as technical.
If you look at rousey/tate..except for the high level grappling you saw, the stand-up reminded me of a street fight.

then you have those exceptions like holly holm. IMO she has very good technical striking. And you see her finishing her opponents all the time. Which makes you see that women actually can get K.O's.

It's like the whole world of WMMA just need more time right now to evolve into the right direction. Once that happens and the striking level reaches a higher level, we will start seeing more and more k.o's in the womens division.

Also people used to say that flyweights don't have the built to knockout eachother. Now you see guys in there like dodson and lineker knocking guys out with pure power it almost seems. And you have Mighty Mouse who nobody can deny has the best technique by far in his division and he is more and more getting into it, knocking out a very durable Benavidez.

So what do you think? Discuss. Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Technique ! ...Exactly,i have never in my life seen a women throw a strike that looked coordinated.Hence the aged old insult `You swing like a girl`or `you hit like a girl`.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,848Free
    zaksame said:

Technique ! ...Exactly,i have never in my life seen a women throw a strike that looked coordinated.Hence the aged old insult `You swing like a girl`or `you hit like a girl`.

Hammer fists are basically "girl's punches", but if you have enough power they work.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • MrBisonMrBison Posts: 556Free
    They have no power end of thread. There are plenty of guys with no "proper" technique with tons of power just look at Roy Nelson or Gomi. Like people say power is something you are born with or not... and SUPPRISE females are not born with any.
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,465Free
    Power aspect indeed. A majority of them don't really have that crisp striking except for maybe Alexis Davis who did well in her last fight.

Pena might be the new breed. Her technique is pretty solid
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,345Free
    MrBison said:

They have no power end of thread. There are plenty of guys with no "proper" technique with tons of power just look at Roy Nelson or Gomi. Like people say power is something you are born with or not... and SUPPRISE females are not born with any.

If you read the op, i'm trying to say that they could make up for that power deficit with proper technique. But the evolution of WMMA just isn't there right now. Hence the lack of Knockouts.

And also Roy and Gomi are just examples of having power while being less technical. But you gotta see, if roy started working on his muay thai or just boxing even..he would break into the top 10 with ease (although it might be too late for him) but combining power with technique is the best you can do.

Women don't have the power, i agree. but that is absolutely no excuse for a 5% K.O rate in their division. Their technique will evolve with time and we will get to see not so powerful women with crisp striking tagging and knocking their opponents out.

• BobmysterBobmyster Posts: 2,677Free
    If you build it they will come!
    *Michael Bisping Defence Force Co-Founder*

• MrBisonMrBison Posts: 556Free

MrBison said:

If you read the op, i'm trying to say that they could make up for that power deficit with proper technique. But the evolution of WMMA just isn't there right now. Hence the lack of Knockouts.

And also Roy and Gomi are just examples of having power while being less technical. But you gotta see, if roy started working on his muay thai or just boxing even..he would break into the top 10 with ease (although it might be too late for him) but combining power with technique is the best you can do.

Women don't have the power, i agree. but that is absolutely no excuse for a 5% K.O rate in their division. Their technique will evolve with time and we will get to see not so powerful women with crisp striking tagging and knocking their opponents out.
    I don't know.. The girls really slug it out, yet there are no KOs. Also back when the UFC was way less technical (tank abbott days) the KO rate was way higher. If the women becaome more technical as a whole, this will not translate in more KOs IMO.
    MrBison said:

MrBison said:

I don't know.. The girls really slug it out, yet there are no KOs. Also back when the UFC was way less technical (tank abbott days) the KO rate was way higher. If the women becaome more technical as a whole, this will not translate in more KOs IMO.
    the tank abott days though were mostly people who weren't even used to getting hit in the face too much. and then they went up against people like abott with tons of power and got destroyed.

even if they slug it out, that doesn't always make for a k.o , just look at bonnar vs griffin. they both don't have k.o power exactly or great technique.

if you look at a fight like andrade vs sexton you also realize that women are very durable (or the lack of power atleast makes them look like it). I mean andrade was putting it on sexton and swinging wild, but if she had picked her shots and gotten was more technical in her approach she might have finished her.

More fighters need to learn how to Cyborg Santos. aka become a man.
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,306Free
    It's not technique, as I know at least one woman who mastered it and yet wasn't able to knock people out.

It's not technique, as I know at least one woman who mastered it and yet wasn't able to knock people out.

Didnt try is not wasnt able to. Gsp was very well able to k.o people. He just didnt want to take any risk at all

• najmanajma Posts: 2,072Free

Didnt try is not wasnt able to. Gsp was very well able to k.o people. He just didnt want to take any risk at all

Exactly.
    He never punched harder than 75%.

• poonmachinepoonmachine Posts: 1,752Free
    najma said:

Exactly.
    He never punched harder than 75%.

yeah right he threw everything he had at shields and couldn't ko him

FF

Rickson Gracie

Wanderlei Silva

Thiago Alves

Nogueira

• SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,681Free
    a better thread would of been "why we don't need to see KOs in WMMA."

Their divisions are **** great on their own.

I don't watch MMA for the KOs. Its a nice byproduct but not what draws me.

People really need to watch Invicta before talking about how they know WMMA.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,395Free
    Julianna is the only woman fighter with power
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • HigherFrequencyHigherFrequency Posts: 411Free
    A fighter chooses whether or not they are fighting for points, or for a finish. I could imagine that game plans can change at the snap of a lower left leg. There was recently a great point fighting Champion, though.
    rage.
  • poonmachinepoonmachine Posts: 1,752Free

Julianna is the only woman fighter with power

Pena Vs Nunes would be a good match-up
    FF

Rickson Gracie

Wanderlei Silva

Thiago Alves

Nogueira

• 12er12er StocktonPosts: 11,060Free
    @mrbison that picture gets me every time.
    If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, then turn to them the other cheek, then keep turning until you deliver a roundhouse kick to his jaw. - Matthew 5:39

GOATer
  • 14er14er Posts: 27Free
    I thought we never see knockouts in wmma is because nobody was watching wmma
  • SajeittoSajeitto Posts: 1,195Free
    I think it's a combination of poor technique, small size, lack of natural power, and lack of speed.
    stop being ignorant and watch invicta.

stop being ignorant and watch invicta.

I, recently, saw an Invicta FC card where there was a first round TKO by Rowdy followed by Rowdy's refusal to shake hands.
    rage.
    edited January 13

He didn't say WMMA was bad or anything, he was just asking why there aren't many KO's.

I think you're understanding no KO's in WMMA=crap fighters, which is not what is being said, at least from my point of view.

They don't need KO's to be exciting because most of their fights are good anyways. A lot end by submission anyways and I think subs are just as good as KO's.
    Post edited by NyteRyder on
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
    NyteRyder said:

He didn't say WMMA was bad or anything, he was just asking why there aren't many KO's.

I think your understanding no KO's in WMMA=crap fighters, which is not what is being said, at least from my point of view.

They don't need KO's to be exciting because most of their fights are good anyways. A lot end by submission anyways and I think subs are just as good as KO's.
    +1 thanks nyteryder

edited January 13
    NyteRyder said:

I think you're understanding no KO's in WMMA=crap fighters, which is not what is being said, at least from my point of view.

that wasn't necessarily being directed at Mirko. More towards the people who don't give WMMA the time of day.

I also don't agree its their lack of technique. Most of them have fantastic technique with what their primary weapon is, but there is another factor to consider. The fact that the girls don't have the same genetic and natural power that most guys have allows them to be able to take more risks and go off the beaten path without having to worry as much about that flash KO. The guys need to remain more technically sound because of that larger risk of being KOd.
    Post edited by SteelerNation43 on

NyteRyder said:

that wasn't necessarily being directed at Mirko. More towards the people who don't give WMMA the time of day.

I also don't agree its their lack of technique. Most of them have fantastic technique with what their primary weapon is, but there is another factor to consider. The fact that the girls don't have the same genetic and natural power that most guys have allows them to be able to take more risks and go off the beaten path without having to worry as much about that flash KO. The guys need to remain more technically sound because of that larger risk of being KOd.
    Way more head kicks in WMMA. Women are so much more flexible.
    rage.
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,293Free
    You mean KOs or TKOs, I think thats there's plenty of female fighters capable of stopping opponents with strikes, but I agree with you that you won't see many flash KOs where they're asleep for five minutes
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,293Free
    but then again, there's a lot of male fighters that can't do that.