Will this be the fastest derailed generation of MMA fighters?

HORSEtheBandLIFHORSEtheBandLIF Posts: 500Free
edited January 14 in UFC
We watched the first generation of MMA fighters come and go, the one-dimensional guys who were quickly figured out by those with multiple facets of martial arts. Then there were the Liddell's, Hughes's, Coutures. They lasted quite a while and some of those guys are still around today (Rua, Henderson, Nogueira) albeit hugely diminished.

This current generation, guys like Jones, Barao, Aldo, maybe Weidman, are the top of the top at the moment, well-rounded and athletic. But how long will they stay?

My question is, with the current best of the best in MMA still mostly coming from one specific background (usually wrestling with Americans and BJJ with the Brazilians) how long will it take for the new generation of guys to come in and throw the sport on it's head? Surely there are millions of young people as I type this, training hard in multiple disciplines from a very young age. How long til they rule the sport and guys like Jones and Weidman are pushed out?

Will this be the fastest derailed generation of MMA fighters?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Favourite Fighters

HW: Overeem, FEDOR, Cain.

LHW: Mousasi, SHOGUN, Machida.

MW: ANDERSON SILVA.

WW: Diaz, LYTLE, Silva.

LW: Cerrone, DIAZ, Lauzon.

FW: Garza, ALDO, Zombie.

BW: Bowles, BARAO, Faber.<

Comments

• FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,048Free
    edited January 14
    Moderate: 3-5 Years
    millions of young people training hard in multiple disciplines? no.
    Post edited by Furiousmat on
  • HORSEtheBandLIFHORSEtheBandLIF Posts: 500Free

It's estimated that there are at least 200,000 or so people training professionally in India alone man, don't forget, there are over 3 billion people on this planet under the age of 20.
    Favourite Fighters

• AngelofDeathAngelofDeath Posts: 89Ultimate
    edited January 14
    Being elite in one or two disciplines is sometimes better than being mediocre-good in a bunch (Rousey, Hendricks, Gustafsson, et al.). Some of these guys on top now will probably be around for a good while, whether they're still dominant or not, much like the aforementioned older guys from back in the day still fighting (Rua, Henderson, Nogueira).

Of course, the talent pool will continue to grow as the sport becomes bigger/more popular. And a bigger talent pool always means more stiff competition, so that likely means it will become increasingly difficult to remain near the top of the heap for as long.
    Post edited by AngelofDeath on
  • jamesreed90jamesreed90 Posts: 512Free
    I voted moderate just because there are still a lot of things that need to be checked out in upcoming fights. Weidman has beaten Anderson twice and before that Munoz was his biggest name yes he beat Anderson but Vitor has been a monster lately how will that fight turn out. The welterweight title is up for grabs if hendricks wins how well will he do or if Lawler wins how will he do against Condit or Lombard and other fighters.

Then how about Jones he has to fight Glover who is looking monstrous (minus the Bader punch) and the eventual rematch with Gus.
    Favorite fighters: Roger Huerta

Chael Sonnen

Sara McMann

Ben Henderson and Cowboy Cerrone

Ross Pearson

Ed Herman

Carlos Condit

Rafael dos Anjos

Bandwagon Game:Bruce Leeroy destroyer of my pick Sergio Pettis

Bandwagon Game pick 2:Jim Miller
  • HigherFrequencyHigherFrequency Posts: 411Free
    Quick: 2-3 Years
    A Champion fights 2-3 times a year? 3 years might be 8 title defenses- 6 on the low side? I don't see it.
    rage.
  • HORSEtheBandLIFHORSEtheBandLIF Posts: 500Free

A Champion fights 2-3 times a year? 3 years might be 8 title defenses- 6 on the low side? I don't see it.

You didn't understand the question.
    Favourite Fighters

• HigherFrequencyHigherFrequency Posts: 411Free
    Quick: 2-3 Years

You didn't understand the question.
    You're right. I think every division will be very different. While the newcomers evolve, the Champions do, too- and they have loads of money for newer training technology, sponsors for suppliments, etc. It isn't like they are eating ice cream and pizza until a month before their next PPV. Are they?
    rage.
  • Ryan369Ryan369 Posts: 141Free
    UFC is just like NFL any given team or person can win if it is their day. These young are very talented in different aspects which makes it a lot tougher to win just as well to defend. I don't see anyone being dominant in one division besides the HW with Cain where no one has the tools to beat him.
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,346Free
    weidman will get derailed by the oldest generation still available

• iNOOBiNOOB Posts: 4,197Free
    Aldo has been at the top for over 4 years already. He is nearly out of your "moderate" category.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig Bet Record: 8-4
    2011 UFC Predictions 190-110
    2012 UFC Predictions 45-17
    2013 UFC Predictions 243-130
    2014 UFC Predictions 65-41

Events Attended: UFC 119 ~ Versus 5 ~ FOX 2 ~ FOX 6 ~ UFN 27 ~ FOX 10

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,665Free
    edited January 14
    iNOOB said:

Aldo has been at the top for over 4 years already. He is nearly out of your "moderate" category.

and Jones is 2 months short of a 3 year title reign. Chuck reigned for 2 years, Hughes just over 3 and Couture never really had a long reign I don't think.
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • -HiLiteOfTheNite--HiLiteOfTheNite- Posts: 636Free
    It is completely unpredictable. It is hard to say that all of these guys will still be on top years from now. The sport is becoming more competitive each year. Also, you have to take into account how often/ seldom these guys may fight, injuries, the age of certain fighters (not that they are old, but some are older than others, so performance will decline eventually), and the desire of the fighter to compete past their prime (some, like Jones, are aiming to retire while they're still relatively young). Do I think they're all capable of remaining champions for a few years? Sure. However, most decades won't see 3+ fighters remain unbeaten for 5+ years either. Too many things can happen to prevent that. I think it is more than likely that at least 2 or 3 of them will be beaten within the next couple of years, but even that is a bit of a reach.
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free

It is completely unpredictable.

true dat

it's a competitive landscape. mma and most combat sports are similar to sports like football/baseball/etc. where you could lose here and there, but you may still be the best. for example, the best basketball team ever was the bulls with jordan, something like 73-9. they had 9 losses, but that doesn't mean the teams that beat them are better.

what happens in mma is that it's ALL ON YOU and you have to wait 5 months to redeem yourself. what we've seen in the sport is that a lot of people have the phsycial ability, but not the mental strength to make it through a loss and that's why a lot of guys talk about retirement right after a loss.

so basically, mma is an element of chance, and that's why it's so hard to predict. you could be an amazing fighter, and just happened to get caught, so the test of the guys you mention is how well they could bounce back from a loss. they all seem like people who don't give up so i see them staying at the top end for the next 3 - 5 years
  • AllRoundMMAAllRoundMMA Posts: 327Free

I voted moderate just because there are still a lot of things that need to be checked out in upcoming fights. Weidman has beaten Anderson twice and before that Munoz was his biggest name yes he beat Anderson but Vitor has been a monster lately how will that fight turn out. The welterweight title is up for grabs if hendricks wins how well will he do or if Lawler wins how will he do against Condit or Lombard and other fighters.

Then how about Jones he has to fight Glover who is looking monstrous (minus the Bader punch) and the eventual rematch with Gus.

Don't forget to minus that Fabio "Frankenstein" Maldonado punch too.
    Rutten tutten
  • horrorfan663horrorfan663 Posts: 767Free
    edited January 14

It's estimated that there are at least 200,000 or so people training professionally in India alone man, don't forget, there are over 3 billion people on this planet under the age of 20.
    lol india, those fights are gonna smell, I mean sell tickets like theres no tomorrow.

Get ready for The first Kama Sutra style champion!!!
    Post edited by horrorfan663 on
    Silva. idk how i feel about Silva. I feel like anything he had going for him coming into the UFC was ripped away when Cain pulled that drive by on him back at 146. Poor guy never even saw the Astro Van coming.....
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,048Free

I'm not sure where you get this number from.

What is the criteria for considering them "professionals"?

I also seriously doubt that a significant number of them really has access to decent resources to train and become competitive in the western competition.

If anything I think we might see the next generation actually being quite ****. I don't think that people who will start training MMA from day one will necessarily be better fighters than guys who specialized in one discipline and then learned the rest.

I mean even with guys who specialized in one aspect of the game before moving to MMA we have tons of sloppyness already. Especially in the striking aspect of the game. Imagine when we don't even have these guys who spent 7 years on a striking art and then moved to MMA. Striking is gonna be a damn shame to watch.
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,700Free
    Id say moderate....

The newer classes just keep getting better and better.