Yoel Romero could have a big year

BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
If he gets this win I think he could get the momentum to have a huge year

I think he has top 5-7 talent for MW but I'm not as sure how well his Wrestling has translated to the big leagues

He has attempted 0 takedowns and has only a 57% TDD rate

While I don't think anyone at MW can keep him down I have not seen how well he gets people down cuz he has not tried yet

We all know he has power and has been working on his hands but I don't think that's enough to get him a title shot at all yet

I would like to see him win tonight but I also want to see his world class wrestling aswell

What you guys think?

Does he have top 10 MW talent? Will he win tonight?
Sig record
40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,310Free
    Yoel is definitely somebody to keep an eye on this year. I think he will win tonight and I'm sure we will see his wrestling at some point. So far he has been beating people up on the feet and hasn't needed to use it offensively.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,280Free
    I think give him nr.15 whoever that is.

I want to see his wrestling aswell. His striking is looking very impressive. I think he will keep improving and make top ten by the end of 2014

• AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,179Free
    BruteDion said:

We all know he has power and has been working on his hands but I don't think that's enough to get him a title shot at all yet

Title shot? Lmao, his "power" couldn't finish a fight since Scott Lighty (who?) 3 years ago, lets not fool ourselves here.

He'll always be somewhere between 7-15

BruteDion said:

Title shot? Lmao, his "power" couldn't finish a fight since Scott Lighty (who?) 3 years ago, lets not fool ourselves here.

Who?

Think you're getting romero and larkin mixed up mate..

Kinda racist

BruteDion said:

What are you talking about? All 6 of Romero's career wins are T/KO's. Two of them being in the UFC.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

Brunson is probably his toughest fight at MW so far in his career.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,179Free
    Lmao I'll pretend nothing happened

Just... you know? Just...

• bartolinibartolini Posts: 669Ultimate
    I think if he got into mma earlier, he could've been someone to watch, but he's 36. I actually think Brunson will give him fits tonight
    HW: VELASQUEZ, DOS SANTOS, BROWNE

LHW: EVANS, CORMIER, GUS

MW: SPIDER, WEIDMAN, MACHIDA

WW: CONDIT, HENDRICKS, DIAZ

LW: HENDERSON, CERRONE, DIAZ

FW: ALDO, MENDES, SWANSON

BW: FABER

FW: JOHNSON

CHICKS: TATE
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    bartolini said:

I think if he got into mma earlier, he could've been someone to watch, but he's 36. I actually think Brunson will give him fits tonight

I don't doubt Brunson will be a tough fight...he's a tough fight for anyone not named Vitor or Jacare at MW

I'm not that worried bout his age...his style tends to age better then other styles...if he gets high clinch or wall grappling skills up (or keeps them good cuz I have yet to see them to judge it) then I think he could keep fighting at a top level for another 2-3 years easy
    Sig record
    40-21

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,269Free
    Yoel is a future GOAT

He is no Bronze Medal can like Ronda, he is a Silver Medal Champion like McMann

Romero already absorbed Clifford Starks black powers, after he absorbs Brunson's he will be unstoppable
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • TheHNICTheHNIC Ask me about my penis.Posts: 789Free
    That flying knee he landed in his debut opened my eyes for sure. I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet but i'll be watching.
    This^

J D S / HUNT / MONDRAGON / CRO COP
    TE HUNA / TEIXEIRA / MANUWA / SHOGUN
    WANDY / TAVARES / CAMOZZI / 209 BROS
    BROWN / LAWLER / CONDIT / RORY MAC
    CERRONE / PETTIS / BARBOZA / GREEN
    POIRIER / WINELAND / PAGUE / JOEY B.

That^
    TheHNIC said:

That flying knee he landed in his debut opened my eyes for sure. I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet but i'll be watching.

I just hope that win didn't give him the Gonzaga illness...when grapplers start KOing people they think they are the next Glory/K-1 champ and forget their roots

Sig record
    40-21

• TheHNICTheHNIC Ask me about my penis.Posts: 789Free
    BruteDion said:

TheHNIC said:

I just hope that win didn't give him the Gonzaga illness...when grapplers start KOing people they think they are the next Glory/K-1 champ and forget their roots

To be fair to Gonzaga he fought Couture after Cro Cop and Randy proved to be too much for him at the time, then he fought Werdum who was just all around better than him at the time.

But yeah, after those two fights he could have started doing all he could to get the rest of his fights to the ground. He tried to get JDS a down a couple times after the Carwin fights but JDS TDD kept him from doing so.

I get your point meng but just had to say that.

This^

J D S / HUNT / MONDRAGON / CRO COP
    TE HUNA / TEIXEIRA / MANUWA / SHOGUN
    WANDY / TAVARES / CAMOZZI / 209 BROS
    BROWN / LAWLER / CONDIT / RORY MAC
    CERRONE / PETTIS / BARBOZA / GREEN
    POIRIER / WINELAND / PAGUE / JOEY B.

That^
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,607Free
    A silver medalist in wrestling who has shown great striking flashes. Yeah I'd definitely say that's a combo to keep an eye on. Not necessarily title picture material, but the guy is fun to watch.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• MachidaSilvaMachidaSilva Posts: 403Free
    edited January 15
    Yoel RomerGOAT deserves an immediate title shot after his win tonight.
    Post edited by MachidaSilva on
    ^
    The "Story" of the day is that OMOPLATAYPUS is the GOAT poster on this here forum. Blee dat.

some_text
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,824Free
    shame hes another god botherer though
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,124Free
    If Romero loses tonight, it will be one of the biggest upsets in UFC history
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    I have to say I didn't have clue who this guy was, watch a few vids earlier and potential is there for sure

• WalkLikeAWarrior707WalkLikeAWarrior707 Posts: 6,005Free
    Yoel is a savage. Very impressed with his first 2 wins inside the octagon. I think he will run thru Brunson tonight hopefully.
    Legends - Bruce Lee, Genki Sudo, Joachim Hansen
    HW - JDS, Browne, Hunt, Big Nog
    LHW - Bones, Gustafsson, Jimi Manuwa, Te Huna, Gian Villante
    MW - Weidman, Cung Le, Dylan Andrews, Magnus Cedenblad
    WW - Hendricks, Condit, Robbie Lawler, Brian Foster, Erick Silva, Hyun Gyu Lim, Thatch, Sean Spencer
    LW - Pettis, Khabib, Dos Anjos, Edson Barboza, Jim Miller, Bobby Green, Chiesa
    FW - Conor McGregor, Korean Zombie, Frankie, Poirier, Charles Oliveria, Rony Jason
    BW - Cruz, Pickett, Vaughan Lee, Iuri Alcantara, Erik Perez, Russell Doane
    WBW - Cat Zingano
    FLY - John Lineker, Louis Smolka
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,402Free
    Romero will destroy Brunson only top 10 guys will give him trouble imo I'd like to see him and Munoz fight at some point.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,999Free
    He looked like **** tonight and still got the W. Showed he can take some shots but also seems to be complacent with a fight. The whole time I just had that feeling that if he would just let his hands go he could win but he's definitely one to look out for.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free
    ^ he looked like **** his last fight and got the W too. That just may be the way he fights in the UFC.
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,999Free

^ he looked like **** his last fight and got the W too. That just may be the way he fights in the UFC.

You're right. Maybe he should be called the fertilizer. He turns **** to great before its all over.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• cashflow247cashflow247 Posts: 1,738Ultimate
    Brunson was winning that fight until he got caught so uh... title shot??
    Sig bet record: Omo-2

Owning the haters since day one

• Hayden512Hayden512 Posts: 2,580Elite
    It sucks he's 36.
    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

I was in no way convinced his wrestling was top level to win a top 5 fight

Also he either comes forward of goes back wards... No angles it seems

When someone throws a combo he backs out and poses with his hands up...I'm like what the **** are you doing?...there was so many chances to attempt a counter to TD by ducking under the combo

He wasted a lot of chances in that fight
    Sig record
    40-21

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    If the other guy hadn't gassed so bad he would of lost that fight, the main thing I got from that fight is he can take a shot apart from that he looked pretty average.
    Yoel broke Brunson's jaw, he's explosive and powerful but his wrestling is terrible, is the medal from the special Olympics or something?
    Gabri1985 said:

If the other guy hadn't gassed so bad he would of lost that fight, the main thing I got from that fight is he can take a shot apart from that he looked pretty average.

So if the other guy was better he would have won?
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,607Free
    Hopefully since he was close to losing that fight he'll come back more focused and won't clown around as much. At one point he was doing Anderson's hands down "come hit me" dance. You're not Anderson dude. Not even Anderson can pull that off every time.

I think if he fights smarter he has all the athletic tools and chin to be really good. As someone else pointed out, he needs to quit the hands up showboating shiit and make people pay for missing with counter punches/TDs.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU