Don't look it up trivia #2: Who was the first UFC Champion to vacate their title?

JChristian522JChristian522 Jacksonville, NCPosts: 394Elite
edited February 5 in UFC
Remember, "vacate" and "stripped" are two different things.
Post edited by JChristian522 on

Don't look it up trivia: Who was the first UFC Champion to vacate their title?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Tickets bought
UOF 11: Werdum vs. Browne and UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira

Live Events
UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem and UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva 2

Pick Statistics: Win-Lose-Draw(NC)
2014 Pick'em Rank: 1,854 -75
2014 Record: 66-49-1(1) : 57.4%
Last Event: (UFN 39) 4-3(1) : 57.1%
Best Event: (UFC 171) 11-2 : 84.6%
Worst Event: (UFN 38) 2-8-1 : 20%

TUF Nations Finale Picks
Michael Bisping
Patrick Cote
Sheldon Westcott
Olivier Aubin-Mercier
Dustin Poirier
Sam Stout
Sarah Kaufman
Ryan Jimmo
George Roop
Mark Bocek
Nordine Taleb
Richard Walsh
Mitch Gagnon
Tagged:

Comments

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Bas Rutten
    Bas first then Frank I imagine.

• jamesreed90jamesreed90 Posts: 512Free
    Bas Rutten
    tough one here between Frank and Bas I think Bas was first not 100% sure though btw i like this trivia stuff tons of fun can't wait for the next
    Favorite fighters: Roger Huerta

Chael Sonnen

Sara McMann

Ben Henderson and Cowboy Cerrone

Ross Pearson

Ed Herman

Carlos Condit

Rafael dos Anjos

Bandwagon Game:Bruce Leeroy destroyer of my pick Sergio Pettis

Bandwagon Game pick 2:Jim Miller
  • JChristian522JChristian522 Jacksonville, NCPosts: 394Elite
    Bas Rutten

tough one here between Frank and Bas I think Bas was first not 100% sure though btw i like this trivia stuff tons of fun can't wait for the next

Yeah man! Of course! I was thinking we have to keep this place interesting in between fights. I was going to ask if I should keep this going after my third question but I figured I don't care. I DO WHAT WANT!. Haha! Anyway, I didn't copy write this crap. If you have a some dope trivia, by all means! Personally I'm trying to not make them to off the wall but still semi hard and interesting.
    Tickets bought

Live Events

TUF Nations Finale Picks
    Michael Bisping
    Patrick Cote
    Sheldon Westcott
    Olivier Aubin-Mercier
    Dustin Poirier
    Sam Stout
    Sarah Kaufman
    Ryan Jimmo
    George Roop
    Mark Bocek
    Nordine Taleb
    Richard Walsh
    Mitch Gagnon
  • JChristian522JChristian522 Jacksonville, NCPosts: 394Elite
    Bas Rutten

Yeah man! Of course! I was thinking we have to keep this place interesting in between fights. I was going to ask if I should keep this going after my third question but I figured I don't care. I DO WHAT WANT!. Haha! Anyway, I didn't copy write this crap. If you have a some dope trivia, by all means! Personally I'm trying to not make them to off the wall but still semi hard and interesting.
    Also keep it at a minimum.. we don't want to flood the forum. ;)
    Tickets bought

Live Events

TUF Nations Finale Picks
    Michael Bisping
    Patrick Cote
    Sheldon Westcott
    Olivier Aubin-Mercier
    Dustin Poirier
    Sam Stout
    Sarah Kaufman
    Ryan Jimmo
    George Roop
    Mark Bocek
    Nordine Taleb
    Richard Walsh
    Mitch Gagnon
  • 12er12er Posts: 10,735Free
    Frank Shamrock
    I think it was Frank, but Bas would make sense too.

12er is turning heel to save the forum

He knows the forum is on life support, with GSP gone, the hate is lacking.

12er's the hero The UFC Fight Club deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. An Iron Jimmie - Carnages41

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,863Free
    Georges St-Pierre
    Google told me Bas Rutten
  • UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,118Free
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,527Free
    Bas Rutten

Would have said Barnett.

He was stripped.
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,863Free
    Georges St-Pierre
    Bas vacated in June of 99 and Shamrock vacated in November

So it had to be GSP
  • PATSTERPATSTER Posts: 1,387Free
    Georges St-Pierre
    GSP

All the others vacated for good reasons. GSP vacated because he was scared.
    "The only way you can beat me is if you run away or hold on for dear life." - The GOAT, Nick Diaz

Fighter stock thread winner

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,817Free
    If you didn't post choices, I would have said Royce Gracie. After he won UFC 4, he fought a draw with Ken Shamrock, then went to Japan. That was before Bas or Frank Shamrock.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,635Free
    Frank Shamrock
    My first instinct told me Frank Shamrock. It's really too bad the guy didn't stick around and fight more in his prime - he was quite good for his day.

Of course vacating the UFC belts back then didn't mean as much as it would now. The UFC wasn't the #1 promotion and MMA was nowhere near as popular as it is now.
  • AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,100Free
    I have no idea. I came in to vote for Royce and discovered he wasn't an option...

• Centurion480Centurion480 Posts: 1,175Free
    Frank Shamrock
    Keep doing these quiz questions. I like them.

But as for the question itself, both Frank and Bas vacated in 1999 but I dont remember who was first, nor could I find it on the web. Will you be providing the answer, OP?
    A kitten dies every time someone says "Its MMA, anything can happen".

• Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,717Free
    Randy Couture
    I thought it ess bas or randy. Not sure not that one tho.
  • DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free
    Coleman
    "It's either blue cheese with wings or go **** your mother." -- MadFlavor
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,226Free
    Bas Rutten
    Could be after his neck injury. Not quite sure though

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
    Bas Rutten

Remember, "vacate" and "stripped" are two different things.

Rutten was the first for sure.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• MachidaSilvaMachidaSilva Posts: 402Free
    Bas Rutten
    i guessed am i right ? I only really go into UFC around the UFC 60s..
    ^
    The "Story" of the day is that OMOPLATAYPUS is the GOAT poster on this here forum. Blee dat.

some_text
  • LeitingLeiting Posts: 4,231Free
    Randy Couture
    It can't be Bas, because he won the belt by beating Randleman after Couture vacated the title when he left the UFC towards the end of the 90's. GSP's career didn't even start until after 2000, Dominick Cruz was after GSP, so they are both out. That leaves only the possibility of Frank Shamrock, but I know Tito won the belt in 2000, which was the first fight he had after his loss to Frank (Shamrock's last UFC fight)...and I'm almost positive Tito's LHW reign overlapped with Randy's 2nd HW reign, which would suggest the Randy vacate, followed by Bas' win and vacate had all preceded Frank's vacating of the belt.

So my guess is it's Randy Couture.
    "God speed, and party on!" -Bas Rutten
    Bas Rutten
    Leiting said:

It can't be Bas, because he won the belt by beating Randleman after Couture vacated the title when he left the UFC towards the end of the 90's. GSP's career didn't even start until after 2000, Dominick Cruz was after GSP, so they are both out. That leaves only the possibility of Frank Shamrock, but I know Tito won the belt in 2000, which was the first fight he had after his loss to Frank (Shamrock's last UFC fight)...and I'm almost positive Tito's LHW reign overlapped with Randy's 2nd HW reign, which would suggest the Randy vacate, followed by Bas' win and vacate had all preceded Frank's vacating of the belt.

Randy was stripped of his title when he left he didn't vacate it I believe then the he got KOed and lost his title retired and then got beat by lesnar to lose the hw title I'm not even sure if couture ever vacated a title.

Chael Sonnen

Sara McMann

Ross Pearson

Ed Herman

Carlos Condit

Rafael dos Anjos

• UFC_KOUFC_KO Posts: 186Free
    Bas Rutten
    Bas Rutten did. He vacated it to drop down to light heavyweight then he later got neck surgery and was out of the UFC.
    WAND-JDS-HENDO-SHOGUN-GSP-BIGFOOT-LAWLER-GONZAGA
    Psalm 144:1-2 "The lord my god trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle"
  • LeitingLeiting Posts: 4,231Free
    Randy Couture

Leiting said:

Randy was stripped of his title when he left he didn't vacate it I believe then the he got KOed and lost his title retired and then got beat by lesnar to lose the hw title I'm not even sure if couture ever vacated a title.
    The very definition of vacate is "to cease to occupy or hold; to give up" or "leave (a place that one previously occupied)" - pardon me, but leaving a promotion to go somewhere else, while you are the Champion, that to me seems like almost the very definition of vacate. The Championship wasn't taken from him because he refused to defend it, he literally left, leaving behind the his claim to be UFC Heavyweight Champion. That's vacating a title.

If that isn't vacating a title, than Frank Shamrock leaving the UFC shouldn't count as vacating the belt, it should be viewed as being stripped. Neither should GSP's "temporary" leaving of the UFC count. As for Cruz, I don't recall him stating categorically he wishes to vacate the title, he just had a string of injuries and eventually Dana White said Barao was the undisputed champion. Basically, if you only count people who make statements of their desire to abandon having a championship - only Bas Rutten has, which is rather fuzzy in detail anyway because he was injured and never had a fight after that anyway.
    "God speed, and party on!" -Bas Rutten
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,657Free
    Georges St-Pierre
    GSP is the only champion to ever do it

All the other champions in UFC history were true champions and would never do that
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    Bas Rutten
    Leiting said:

Leiting said:

The very definition of vacate is "to cease to occupy or hold; to give up" or "leave (a place that one previously occupied)" - pardon me, but leaving a promotion to go somewhere else, while you are the Champion, that to me seems like almost the very definition of vacate. The Championship wasn't taken from him because he refused to defend it, he literally left, leaving behind the his claim to be UFC Heavyweight Champion. That's vacating a title.

If that isn't vacating a title, than Frank Shamrock leaving the UFC shouldn't count as vacating the belt, it should be viewed as being stripped. Neither should GSP's "temporary" leaving of the UFC count. As for Cruz, I don't recall him stating categorically he wishes to vacate the title, he just had a string of injuries and eventually Dana White said Barao was the undisputed champion. Basically, if you only count people who make statements of their desire to abandon having a championship - only Bas Rutten has, which is rather fuzzy in detail anyway because he was injured and never had a fight after that anyway.
    Fair enough if we go by that couture would be first I just remembered the word stripped being used so i figured it wouldn't count but you proved me wrong by that definition.

Chael Sonnen

Sara McMann

Ross Pearson

Ed Herman

Carlos Condit

Rafael dos Anjos

• Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,717Free
    Randy Couture
    Leiting said:

Leiting said:

That's the stuff right there. Only two of us knew the correct answer... ya'll are slackin.