Where will UFC 173 rank in terms of all-time highest PPV buys

SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
Obviously it's not beating UFC 100, but after that I think it has an extremely high potential (as long as they could avoid injuries)

I feel like Vitor/Weidman is about as strong of a match and buildup as they could have possibly hoped for. Vitor is definitely as legendary as they come, and he has looked completely unstoppable. Weidman is undefeated, champ, and just came off 2 wins over what DW constantly hyped as the GOAT

It's an intriguing matchup, and very unpredictable. Then you got the other fight they've been building up for forever, Chael/Wanderlei. The fight does not have title implications, but with the entertainment value both guys bring, and the bragging rights, that is one of the best matchups entertainment-wise right now.

To me, it sounds like they are building the perfect card for it...If you put one more solid fight on the card, I could see it being the top 2 or 3 PPV ever
Tagged:

Comments

• _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,323Free
    I wouldn't even put it in the top 20 tbh. Great card, but Weidman and Vitor are pretty unproven PPV draws imo. I would say with the added draw power of Chael/Wandy it does around 500k

• Mcmax3000Mcmax3000 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,516Moderator, Elite
    edited February 3
    I think it'll do well, but I don't think it's going to do huge buys.

Top two, or three of all time would mean over 1.1 Million buys based on the information that's out there. No chance it gets anywhere near that.

I don't even think it makes it into the top 20 (which would mean 700,000+).

I'd guess in the 400,000 - 500,000 range.
    Post edited by Mcmax3000 on
    Xbox Live Gamertag (XB1/360), Playstation Network ID (PS4/PS3), Nintendo Network ID (Wii U), and Steam ID: Mcmax3000, Twitter: Mcmax3000

I've Been to: UFC 83, UFC 97, UFC 114 + Fan Expo, MMA: The Reckoning, UFC 129 + Fan Expo, Bellator 47, UFC 140, Bellator 67, Ultimate Fighter Live Finale, UFC 159, and UFC 165.

Up Next: Bellator 119, and UFC 178.
  • Weidman__the__GreatWeidman__the__Great ModeratorPosts: 1,748Free
    Biggest Superfight in ufc history by far as the main makes this an instant goat card. Chael and wandy is merely just icing on the cake.

Fighting Chris Weidman may be Extremely Hazardous to one's health.

Poop eating bets: 2-0
    Piss Drinking bets: 1-0

Will Accept a new one for Weidman/Machida.
  • UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,195Free
    The trend is down. You may never see the big numbers again. VTRTor/Weidman is only for MMA fans.

You may never see the big numbers again.

Weidman/Silva 2, and GSP/Diaz were both in the past year, and are near the top as far as all time PPV buy numbers, so they can definitely still do huge numbers with the right fight, but you're definitely not going to see big numbers month, after month again anytime soon.

Xbox Live Gamertag (XB1/360), Playstation Network ID (PS4/PS3), Nintendo Network ID (Wii U), and Steam ID: Mcmax3000, Twitter: Mcmax3000

I've Been to: UFC 83, UFC 97, UFC 114 + Fan Expo, MMA: The Reckoning, UFC 129 + Fan Expo, Bellator 47, UFC 140, Bellator 67, Ultimate Fighter Live Finale, UFC 159, and UFC 165.

• cashflow247cashflow247 Posts: 1,866Ultimate
    edited February 3
    It kinda depends on how many TV appearances Chael does before the fight. He sells a fight like nobody else in the UFC.
    Post edited by cashflow247 on
    Sig bet record: Omo-2

Owning the haters since day one

It will draw the core audience, but it isn't going to get any one else tuning in. Not the 250K Lesnar brings in.

It will draw the core audience, but it isn't going to get any one else tuning in. Not the 250K Lesnar brings in.

I think it will be slightly above the core audience, but not much.

• wesleywells1wesleywells1 TexasPosts: 7,331Free
    I don't buy many PPVs anymore, but barring a catastrophic card change due to injuries or something I'm buying it. BelGOAT vs. Weidmeng and The Axe GOATerer vs. The West Linn Gangsta will be amazing! WAR 173!!
    WAR Wand, Hendo, Couture, Fedor, Lytle, Cro Cop, Frye, Sakuraba, Bas, Kharitonov, Barnett, Minowaman, Belfort, Sonnen, Zombie, Franklin, Thomson, Swanson, Wineland, Texeira, Belcher, Miller brothers, Cerrone, Palhares, Arlovski, Ludwig, Yamamoto, Barry, Hendricks, Benavidez, Munoz, Stephens, Jacare, Sanchez, Big Nog, Hunt, Maia, Brown, Lawler, Buentello, Zingano!!!

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
    wow, i'm definitely bumping this after the event

if weidman/silva cracked a million, weidman/vitor could definitely crack 700K with a hugely anticipated fight in chael/wanderlei

i see it doing anywhere between 700K - 1.1million...will have a better idea once it comes closer to the card and we see if they do a primetime or anything else to help the promotion of the event

keep in mind guys, condit/gsp did 700K
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Sisti said:

wow, i'm definitely bumping this after the event

if weidman/silva cracked a million, weidman/vitor could definitely crack 700K with a hugely anticipated fight in chael/wanderlei

i see it doing anywhere between 700K - 1.1million...will have a better idea once it comes closer to the card and we see if they do a primetime or anything else to help the promotion of the event

and gsp was there biggest draw fighting the interm champion.

That was also GSP, one of their biggest PPV stars in history, returning from a lengthy injury layoff, for a title unification fight.

• iamdylanriamdylanr Posts: 424Free
    All i know is that it will do a hell of a lot better than UFC 170.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,346Free
    Bigger than any Anderson fight

but not as big as say a RamGOAT fight
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    Mcmax3000 said:

Sisti said:

That was also GSP, one of their biggest PPV stars in history, returning from a lengthy injury layoff, for a title unification fight.
    no, just sayin that both guys were coming off huge reputations for being extremely boring fighters

i think weidman/vitor is just a much more intriguing matchup and for me, i can't think of many fights left i'd rather see (including super fights)
    Sisti said:

no, just sayin that both guys were coming off huge reputations for being extremely boring fighters

GSP has had that reputation for ages, and he's constantly their biggest PPV draw.

The bottom line is, a guy needs to be seen as a star to really draw, and we don't know yet if Weidman is seen that way by the mass audience after the Silva fights.

I honestly cannot see how anyone could give a **** about Sonnen v Wandy.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,380Free
    Mcmax3000 said:

Sisti said:

GSP has had that reputation for ages, and he's constantly their biggest PPV draw.

The bottom line is, a guy needs to be seen as a star to really draw, and we don't know yet if Weidman is seen that way by the mass audience after the Silva fights.
    He's not. WeidGOAT gets no respect after destroying the "GOAT" twice. It's gone as far as ludicrous claims that Silva broke his leg intentionally in the second fight.

I don't think this PPV will do numbers that will rank in all time highest PPV buys.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

Mcmax3000 said:

Sisti said:

VITOR is a legend though...combine the fact that he's on an insane run with the fact that he's fighting the guy who just beat the GOAT twice in a row and the story is extremely easy to sell. All the UFC really needs to do is to know how to market that to the casual fan, which is easy in this case. Undefeated guy just beat Silva (the guy casual fans know) twice in a row, and is now fighting the guy who's tearing everyone's heads off

I see where everyone's coming from in that neither of those guys are silva/gsp/brock, but MMA is always evolving and those are the 2 guys at the moment who have the most new mainstream appeal
  • lapolapo Posts: 154Ultimate
    I can't stop thinking that one of the major reasons for GSP's big PPV sales is because he also has an entire nation behind him?
    So with that in mind I think that Vitor+Wanderlei combined has more fans behind them in Brazil than Brock, GSP, Anderson all alone, which is why this event will sell huge numbers!
    The Brazilians are more dedicated to sports and especially fighting than fx Canadians, and here we have two of their GOATs trying to avenge Silvas defeat and a chance to get to a man who the entire nation has come to hate in Sonnen :)
    Just my opinion.....
    lapo said:

I can't stop thinking that one of the major reasons for GSP's big PPV sales is because he also has an entire nation behind him?
    So with that in mind I think that Vitor+Wanderlei combined has more fans behind them in Brazil than Brock, GSP, Anderson all alone, which is why this event will sell huge numbers!
    The Brazilians are more dedicated to sports and especially fighting than fx Canadians, and here we have two of their GOATs trying to avenge Silvas defeat and a chance to get to a man who the entire nation has come to hate in Sonnen :)
    Just my opinion.....

I don't disagree with your assertion, but I disagree with your result for one main reason: I don't believe UFC shows are PPVs in Brazil. As far as I know, they air on TV. So, Vitor & Wanderlei might do big numbers in Brazil, but they won't have any effect on PPV buys like Canada does for GSP fights.

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,650Free
    It will do okay. People will be a little interested in Weidman because of the way he dominated Anderson twice and then Chael is reliable for some buys but there's nothing that will make this one of the best ever. It probably won't even be the best of the year.
  • WhipsnapWhipsnap Posts: 166Free
    Weidman vs Belfort will be huge! This fight will give us all the answers to both Weidman and Vitor.

Not everybody is convinced by Weidman following his two wins vs Silva because of the leg break and the fact that some people would say Anderson is getting too old.(The usual excuse in every sport). People want to know if Weidman is 100% the real deal.

Also Vitor hasn't convinced everyone despite being on a tear lately but with the whole TRT thing people doubt that he will perform outside of Brazil. Everyone wants to see if he really is a completely new fighter or if TRT is the thing that makes him a beast.

This fight will provide a solid answer for both sets of questions and solidify who truly is the Middleweight King.

• rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 4,027Free
    The only view that matter is God's as he looks in on his warrior and becomes his hand and provides true justice by beating the devil out of Weidman.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• lapolapo Posts: 154Ultimate
    Mcmax3000 said:

lapo said:

Just my opinion.....

I don't disagree with your assertion, but I disagree with your result for one main reason: I don't believe UFC shows are PPVs in Brazil. As far as I know, they air on TV. So, Vitor & Wanderlei might do big numbers in Brazil, but they won't have any effect on PPV buys like Canada does for GSP fights.
    I kinda agree but then again not totally, since I'm talking about Brazilian fight fans in general not only limited to the ones living in Brazil :) Where I come from (Denmark, which also explains some grammatical errors and bad language) there are entire communities of Brazilians, we're talking literally thousands and absolutely no Canadians(can't remember if I have ever met one actually?? :O )
    One of my close friends and travelmate is half Brazilian, and he have told me that this goes for large parts of the rest of the world, and they all see their favorite soccer teams via online streams as goes for their favorite fighters.
    Another factor which plays in is the new approach with UFC Fight Pass. Take my country for an example where we haven't been able to watch the events on local TV stations after F.P was introduced in the US, and we are now forced to buy the event as some kind of a PPV event(we're still not able to get F.P in Europe due to country limitations which absolutely sucks, but can purchase everything through UFC.tv), and these money spent must also count in some bigger "pay per view picture"?? Denmark is a sorry little country with not many fans, and this is also due to the fact that your shows airs on crazy times here......hahaha! But there are still some fans who have always been able to see it on local TV, who's now forced to purchase the event! And this goes for many more countries here in Europe where the UFC fanbases are bigger such as Great Britain, Germany, Sweden, Holland etc where the fans are really excited. To put the fanbase in perspective, almost every seat(23.000) at UFC London which is a non-numbered UFC event got sold out during the first day of public sale, and we're talking a maincard of Gustafson in a non titlefight!? :)

Also keep in mind that this will be one of Wanderleis bigger fights, and he still have a massive fanbase in the ever expanding Asian market which should also attract a few extra paying customers?

Either way I think this will be a big event, and just look at the hype we are already giving it, and this is based on only two official fights!? Like someone said before me elsewhere on forum, put on an extra descent fight and this could be a major card of 2014.......I for one is looking forward to this event with more interest than any other event! :) And that's another last issue, the interest and demand for big events didn't just die with the absence of GSP, I don't believe ALL Canadian fightfans or others who bought GSP events turned their back to UFC now that their local hero is no longer in the game.....my interest also didn't die with the fall of Kampmann. And if you have a whole year with "mediocre" events, then people will naturally pay attention when an event like this comes along........and I'm not calling the other confirmed events for mediocre I'm just using it to tell a point :)

I hope you can understand my views on these matters, it's hard for me to express myself in another language......hahaha :)
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,458Free
    Will probably do 500K.

It won't get a million buys, that's for sure.
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • TheBigDTheBigD Posts: 424Free
    Casuals don't care about Weidman and neither do half the serious fans. His luck is still overshadowing his skill in many ways. Maybe he'll get respect if he KO's Vitor but i wouldn't be surprised if Vitor slipped and broke his ankle 30 seconds into the fight.
    NyteRyder said:

Will probably do 500K.

It won't get a million buys, that's for sure.

yup, definitely bumping this after the event

ppl forget just how big draws chael, wanderlei, and vitor are...not to mention weidman has all the factors in the world that could make him the next HUGE ppv draw. an undefeated white american humble dude that just beat the GOAT twice...you guys really don't think americans will want to watch that story play out?
    edited February 4
    Sisti said:

ppl forget just how big draws chael, wanderlei, and vitor are...

When has Wanderlei been a big PPV draw in the UFC? Vitor was only really a big PPV draw in his title fight against Anderson as far as I can remember. Chael, yes, definitely, but even the last PPV he was on, UFC 167, is believed to have only done 600,000 - 650,000, and that was headlined by the best PPV draw the UFC has (and also included Rashad, who has traditionally done pretty well).

Also, TUF Brazil 3 will only be airing on Fight Pass, which means that only the most dedicated UFC fans outside of Brazil are even going to see the stuff between Chael, and Wanderlei.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope for the sake of all of those guys, and the UFC, that the PPV sells huge, and they all get huge PPV buy bonuses, but given the current climate, and the guys involved, I just don't see it doing massive numbers.
    Post edited by Mcmax3000 on

The trend is down and nothing is going to change it, short of a newer, better reality show. But that show is supposed to be about boxing so I don't see how MMA gets increased viewership there.