How good is Chris Weidman

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
Of course, this thread will likely turn into a bunch of biased opinions. Weidman is GOAT or Weidman is a can, but looking at it as OBJECTIVELY as possible, how would you honestly rank Weidman's career at this point

PRE-UFC - Wrestilng standout...NYS Collegiate Champion, 2 time All-American, 3rd in NCAA, went to quarterfinals of Submission World Wrestilng Championship after only 1 year of training "UFC," I mean training jiu-jitsu

FIRST FEW FIGHTS - Won the ROC Championship over Uriah Hall by his 3rd fight so he fought legit fighters right away

UFC CAREER - Joined UFC for his 5th professional fight, which is impressive. Beat Alessio Sakara, Tom Lawlor, and Mark Munoz convincingly. Squeaked by Maia.

FIGHTS VS. SILVA - Beat the guy no one was able to find a way to beat twice. Overall, he looked like he was in control at all times minus the end of round 1 of their first fight.

So looking objectively at his career you gotta say pre-UFC he was great, but he did not have the best credentials of all time or anything. His MMA career has went extremely well so far, but he also is the PERFECT stylistic matchup for Silva so it's hard to say that he will have the same level of success when he fights guys that match up different stylistically. The dude definitely has an impressive career so far, and nothing proves that more than his last 3 fights.

I wouldn't put him in a GOAT list yet because he's so new on the scene, but you gotta put him in the top 3 p4p at this point
Tagged:

Comments

• _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,589Free
    He's good, but not P4P yet Renan, Aldo, Jones and DJ are p4p. <They have defended their titles against multiple challengers and not just agianst one.... Weidman is on a good way if he can beat VITGOAT
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,142Free
  • Wanderlei_RuaWanderlei_Rua Posts: 963Free
    After witnessing Jones meteoric rise and sustained dominance, some people come to expect the same from Weidman. He definitely has the potential to remain champion for some time.

In my opinion, he won't. He will be hindered by his lack of elite level experience, a mid-level camp and the pressure of being the guy who knocked off Silva. More than the rest, the timing is bad for ANYONE to dominate at MW right now. There are too many championship calibur guys in the division, most of them performing at a career peak level.

Weidman is a good guy and a great competitor, but the stars aren't aligned for a long reign.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,315Free
    12er said:

You forgot to mention that when he squeaked by Maia, he took the fight on 12 days notice and cut 32 lbs in that amount of time. Considering that was his 8th pro fight that is an impressive win, regardless of whether the haters want to acknowledge it or not.

People like to pretend that this didn't happen so they can discredit him.

People also like to discredit him due to the contenders in the MW division currently. I'll let Weidman do the talking for himself as he continues to finish these so called "killers" in the division currently.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,142Free
    12er said:

You forgot to mention that when he squeaked by Maia, he took the fight on 12 days notice and cut 32 lbs in that amount of time. Considering that was his 8th pro fight that is an impressive win, regardless of whether the haters want to acknowledge it or not.

Wow. 32 pounds over weight?

Sounds like he's on the Matt Sera diet between fights.
  • 12er12er Posts: 10,886Free
    MilesGun said:

12er said:

lol weight cutting can
    Still mad homie?
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,315Free
    MilesGun said:

12er said:

lol weight cutting can
    LoL You still suffering Miles?
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Weidman__the__GreatWeidman__the__Great ModeratorPosts: 1,720Free
    Will be the New GOAT after demolishing new vitor, Jacare and Machida even worse than he crushed silva twice.

Fighting Chris Weidman may be Extremely Hazardous to one's health.

Poop eating bets: 2-0
    Piss Drinking bets: 1-0

Will Accept a new one for Weidman/Machida.
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,281Free

He's good, but not P4P yet Renan, Aldo, Jones and DJ are p4p.

pretty much this. i don't get why they rank him that far up in the p4p rankings..

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    12er said:

You forgot to mention, in this forum, cutting 32lbs in any amount of time = weight cutting can status.

• MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,124Free
    12er said:

MilesGun said:

12er said:

lol weight cutting can
    Still mad homie?
    PoloRidah said:

MilesGun said:

12er said:

lol weight cutting can
    LoL You still suffering Miles?
    lol helax guys, the chris is the champion. I no hate the champion.
    GoToGuy said:

12er said:

You forgot to mention, in this forum, cutting 32lbs in any amount of time = weight cutting can status.
    Weidmeng lives too close to Matt Serra to not be putting on 32 lbs of pizza and pasta weight in between fights. GOAT marinara sauce up in that bish.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    MilesGun said:

12er said:

lol weight cutting can
    lmao

I used to like Chris, but I never knew he was a weight cutting can

I now hope Vitor KTFO's him
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,412Free
    To steal a quote from Breaking bad just coz you kill Jesse James doesn't make you Jesse James but with the amount of fights he's had and beating Silva he's deservedly in P4P discussion right now not GOAT discussion yet tho.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • Solid_SnakeSolid_Snake Posts: 11,789Moderator, Ultimate

To steal a quote from Breaking bad just coz you kill Jesse James doesn't make you Jesse James but with the amount of fights he's had and beating Silva he's deservedly in P4P discussion right now not GOAT discussion yet tho.

Beating Jesse James makes you better than Jesse James. Weidman beat him twice, and will continue to build his resumè. I don't think he's GOAT material by a long shot though.
    GSP MAFIA

Leonie fan since day one....No questions asked.

The Funny Thread

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkar

MilesGun said:

12er said:

lol weight cutting can
    lmao

lmao cuts less weight than fatpage
  • TeemuSelanneTeemuSelanne Posts: 933Free
    I've done some analyzing and it seems that Weidcan is ranked somewhere between a can & a gatekeeper. But that's not bad for the MW division since those rankings can get you the strap in that division.
    12er said:

MilesGun said:

12er said:

lol weight cutting can
    lmao

RamGOAT barley cuts weight

You sound like one of those Georges fans who think Hendricks cuts from 220 in one day
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12er said:

MilesGun said:

12er said:

lol weight cutting can
    lmao

RamGOAT barley cuts weight

You sound like one of those Georges fans who think Hendricks cuts from 220 in one day
    He has to cut down from third trimester homie.

Beating Jesse James makes you better than Jesse James. Weidman beat him twice, and will continue to build his resumè. I don't think he's GOAT material by a long shot though.
    True at that point in time yes it does but it doesn't change that so far Silva has had the better career I still think Silva is one of the best in world and the GOAT so far but time catches up and unless you retire while on top someone will come along and beat you eventually.
    Bet Record- 76-43

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • BigmacbubBigmacbub Posts: 1,441Free
    Vitgoat will blast him Weidman and show how rudimentary his stand up is :D
  • BigmacbubBigmacbub Posts: 1,441Free

True at that point in time yes it does but it doesn't change that so far Silva has had the better career I still think Silva is one of the best in world and the GOAT so far but time catches up and unless you retire while on top someone will come along and beat you eventually.
    i realized the possibility that maybe Silva was losing his chin, when Sonnen drop him twice in the first match. Time catches up and you lose the ability to take a punch, we've all seen it before in previous fighters
    edited February 4
    Bigmacbub said:

i realized the possibility that maybe Silva was losing his chin, when Sonnen drop him twice in the first match. Time catches up and you lose the ability to take a punch, we've all seen it before in previous fighters
    Yeah I don't think it's gone but not as good as before he was apparently injured in that one if he can and chooses to come back he still beats most people, he showed good recovery in the 2nd fight with Chris and the leg break was freak might have still lost but it was just a freak incident imo. Age plays a factor with reactions and speed etc to sometimes might get caught with things once upon a time they would get out the way of.
    Post edited by wanderleisilva101 on
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image
  • Solid_SnakeSolid_Snake Posts: 11,789Moderator, Ultimate

That's it, at some point they all lose. It'll be interesting to see who eventually beats Weidman.
    GSP MAFIA

Leonie fan since day one....No questions asked.

The Funny Thread

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkar

That's it, at some point they all lose. It'll be interesting to see who eventually beats Weidman.
    Exactly I think Vitor has a great chance if not Jacare and Machida pose a lot of problems I'm hoping Jacare becomes champ tbh he's my favourite at MW next to Anderson. But if he beats them 3 in a row along with the Silva wins it's one of if not the best title defence streaks I can think of.
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,610Free
    Silva didn't lose to Weidman because of time. He lost to Weidman because of an accurate left hand and in the second fght that same left dropped him in the first round before Anderson broke his leg, saving himself from suffering yet another KO.

Chris Weidman is 100% a more complete fighter than Anderson will ever be. That is a fact. Does that guarantee more success? Absolutely not. And with the way the MW division is looking Weidman will have a tougher path to glory than Anderson did but I believe in the end- big picture talk -it will be Chris' well roundedness that could elevate him to GOAT material.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

Silva didn't lose to Weidman because of time. He lost to Weidman because of an accurate left hand and in the second fght that same left dropped him in the first round before Anderson broke his leg, saving himself from suffering yet another KO.

Chris Weidman is 100% a more complete fighter than Anderson will ever be. That is a fact. Does that guarantee more success? Absolutely not. And with the way the MW division is looking Weidman will have a tougher path to glory than Anderson did but I believe in the end- big picture talk -it will be Chris' well roundedness that could elevate him to GOAT material.

Once Brad Tavares gets his shot, Chris is ****ed