Fight pass value.

jamamawjamamaw Posts: 2,406Free
Want to start out by talking about the new wwf network. Had a friend over tonight and he was telling me about this new network the wwf has came out with. Told me it's subscription based, and gives you all the backlog of wwf events for 9.99 a month. Sounds a lot like fight pass. But then he told me that all the PPVs were included in the package. I didn't believe him so I looked it up, and he was telling the truth. Comparing the two services (wwf network and fight pass) there is none. Do you think we'll ever get as good of deal with fight pass? Just seems that fight pass is really lacking compared to this. I really can't believe how it's set up really, all the ppvs? Any chance that as a fight pass subscriber we'll at least get discounted ppvs? Or will it not change at all?

Let's just compare the services not the product.
Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
Megumi Fuji

Sig bet Record: 1-0
Tagged:

Comments

• cashflow247cashflow247 Posts: 1,866Ultimate
    Ha.. you and me both.

I actually went through the exact same thing. Somebody started telling me about the WWE Network as we were watching the prelims the other night. He had a good laugh that I was about to be paying the same every month to watch some super scrubs battle it out for an hour at a time vs. him watching any PPV event they've ever had including all of the upcoming ones, plus the mirage of trash shows and things you couldn't care less about similar to UFC's Fight Pass.

So comparing the WWE Network vs. UFC's Fight Pass is sort of like comparing a high end restaurant that serves lobster and steak to McDonalds.
    Sig bet record: Omo-2

Owning the haters since day one

• jamamawjamamaw Posts: 2,406Free
    I'd want for fight pass to at least give us discounted ppvs. I just don't see Dana giving in. You want to cut down on illegal streams? Offer something like this
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,650Free
    WWE probably makes a ton of money off their weekly show, UFC doesn't have something similar.
  • PakaLPakaL Posts: 4,105Elite
    edited February 25

WWE probably makes a ton of money off their weekly show, UFC doesn't have something similar.

Does ZUFFA split PPV profits with other corps? Would the ufc make as much offering their own network VIA weekly subscriptions? Seems to me weekly subscribers or monthly would be more of a reliable source of income. As fans usually pick and choose ppv's they buy. In a subscriber context a fan would be buying every event by default. Not sure how the cookie cutter system of biz works but some need to blaze new paths...
    Post edited by PakaL on
    HanDGuN kungFOO mixxed with AK karate(KiLLuminatti)

Belfort~EL GuapO~GraciE

Nemesis2Few^inspiration2many~Veni~Vidi~Vici~

Weidman,Moraga,Cormier,Scareface,MauleR,GingeR~BrownE&HondA HouseY all inspiring.

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    The Truth
    KingzombiE`aka`StundonG 2 Strong

The Notorious Conor Mcgregor ='s MMA's 2pac

Animated Gifs Animated Gifs

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,380Free
    If FightPass included the UFC PPV's I would suscribe. In it's current state, no thanks.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• PakaLPakaL Posts: 4,105Elite

Ha.. you and me both.

I actually went through the exact same thing. Somebody started telling me about the WWE Network as we were watching the prelims the other night. He had a good laugh that I was about to be paying the same every month to watch some super scrubs battle it out for an hour at a time vs. him watching any PPV event they've ever had including all of the upcoming ones, plus the mirage of trash shows and things you couldn't care less about similar to UFC's Fight Pass.

So comparing the WWE Network vs. UFC's Fight Pass is sort of like comparing a high end restaurant that serves lobster and steak to McDonalds.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    HanDGuN kungFOO mixxed with AK karate(KiLLuminatti)

Belfort~EL GuapO~GraciE

Nemesis2Few^inspiration2many~Veni~Vidi~Vici~

Weidman,Moraga,Cormier,Scareface,MauleR,GingeR~BrownE&HondA HouseY all inspiring.

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    The Truth
    KingzombiE`aka`StundonG 2 Strong

The Notorious Conor Mcgregor ='s MMA's 2pac

Animated Gifs Animated Gifs

• UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,195Free
    The UFC is holding onto the obsolete PPV model for dear life.

• CarlosBelcherCarlosBelcher Posts: 384Free
    Fight pass is worthless, they're showing fights that were free on facebook. Most fighters there are at the bottom of their divisions and there are 10-15 people in the crowd which kills every exciting fight due to lack of atmosphere
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,346Free
    lol you can't compare WWE to UFC you dummy!

WWE has the best fighters in the world and has been in the business way longer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    edited February 25
    ^^You did speak a morsel of truth there. WWE has been in business way longer. It seems to me that the extra money they bring in from the weekly televised shows would kind of balance out the year long tour that they're always on. They perform in other cities on a lot the nights they aren't on TV. So it still would seem that the WWE has more of an overhead than the UFC. Dollar per dollar with the pyro and whatnot, the WWE has more money but it also spends far more money. So I don't think there's a comparison to be made between the companies. I was merely comparing what I was shown that the WWE Network offers vs. the UFC Fight Pass. Granted, this was a link on a phone that I don't believe was even the WWE website, and there could end up being yearly fees or something like that too... I really don't ****ing know. But I assumed the OP actually did research it because that's exactly what I was told.

The WWE Network supposedly offers every payperview, past and present. But as it stands, the guy who said UFC Fight Pass is basically paying for facebook fights is right. Why would I want to pay a monthly fee for a couple awful fights a month with some guys I've never heard of in my entire life on top of paying for cable, on top of paying $55 every three weeks for a PPV?

I just did the math. If I pay $55 every 3 weeks, $80 a month for cable because you have to have the package with FS1(I cant even get FS2), and $120 a year for Fight Pass... that's a total of about $2015 I have to spend just to watch all this nonsense vs. the WWE at around $720. Greedy much, UFC?
    Post edited by cashflow247 on

• BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    I'm hearing lots of people using the fight pass and buying ppv through it and not getting to actually see the fights and instead being charged without actually seeing anything.

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,380Free

I'm hearing lots of people using the fight pass and buying ppv through it and not getting to actually see the fights and instead being charged without actually seeing anything.

LoL Fightpass is scamming people with their poor capability.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    PoloRidah said:

I saw an article that was citing hundreds of people who were paying but not able to see anything.

• STANDYOURGROUNDSTANDYOURGROUND FloridaPosts: 124Free
    My co-worker has Fight Pass and it's not worth the money at all. Total rip off.
    PROUD, GUN OWNER, CONSERVATIVE. How you like them apples, hippie?

PoloRidah said:

I saw an article that was citing hundreds of people who were paying but not able to see anything.
    Yeah.. I can't even watch the regular prelims on it. It blocks me out from it. I can only watch the "Fight Pass Prelims" = rip off

• wedo619wedo619 Posts: 1,293Free

^^You did speak a morsel of truth there. WWE has been in business way longer. It seems to me that the extra money they bring in from the weekly televised shows would kind of balance out the year long tour that they're always on. They perform in other cities on a lot the nights they aren't on TV. So it still would seem that the WWE has more of an overhead than the UFC. Dollar per dollar with the pyro and whatnot, the WWE has more money but it also spends far more money. So I don't think there's a comparison to be made between the companies. I was merely comparing what I was shown that the WWE Network offers vs. the UFC Fight Pass. Granted, this was a link on a phone that I don't believe was even the WWE website, and there could end up being yearly fees or something like that too... I really don't ****ing know. But I assumed the OP actually did research it because that's exactly what I was told.

The WWE Network supposedly offers every payperview, past and present. But as it stands, the guy who said UFC Fight Pass is basically paying for facebook fights is right. Why would I want to pay a monthly fee for a couple awful fights a month with some guys I've never heard of in my entire life on top of paying for cable, on top of paying $55 every three weeks for a PPV?

I just did the math. If I pay $55 every 3 weeks, $80 a month for cable because you have to have the package with FS1(I cant even get FS2), and $120 a year for Fight Pass... that's a total of about $2015 I have to spend just to watch all this nonsense vs. the WWE at around $720. Greedy much, UFC?

720 is still to much to pay for a soap opera
    photo NickDiazHitem.jpg

sigbet record- 1-0
    edited February 25
    wedo619 said:

??? So don't buy it, Einstein. I'm pretty sure none of us want to watch almost fighting when we're fans of actual fighting.

It just baffles me why some of you see the letters WWE and feel like you need to jump in and act like you don't watch it. I can speak of the WWE without embarrassment when comparing products between them and the UFC, and not worry about if people think I'm a.... oh no.... wrestling fan! And dare I say... I actually watched it when I was a kid! Shoot me.
    Post edited by cashflow247 on

• Mcmax3000Mcmax3000 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,516Moderator, Elite

I watched the last two PPVs through UFC.TV, and aside from a brief minute, or two where it cut out during UFC 169, I had no issues.

As far as Fight Pass vs. the WWE Network, the big difference is that hardly anybody is buying WWE Pay Per Views anymore outside of a couple of their big events (Wrestlemania obviously, and to a lesser extent, Royal Rumble, and Summerslam). Their other events, aside from those three, generally do horrible numbers, so they don't need nearly as many subscribers for their network to make sense.

Plus, WWE has an extraordinary back catalog that could carry the service on its own. They not only have decades of their own footage, but they also have all of the footage from WCW, ECW, WCCW, Mid-South, AWA, etc that will draw in viewers as well.

On the other hand, you've got the UFC, which is doing much better on PPV (meaning they'd need a lot more subscribers to not lose money over their current business model), and has nowhere near the history to draw on, nor the lapsed audience that the vault access will appeal to (most people that were watching those old fights are probably still watching), nor do they have weekly TV, and multiple live events, and all of the other revenue streams to draw upon as well.

The big thing the UFC also lacks compared to WWE is the brand awareness. Almost everybody over the age of 15 has at least heard of WWE, and knows what it is. There are still A LOT of people that have never heard of the UFC. I know it's sometimes hard to realize when spend time on sites like this where there are a bunch of people talking about the sport, but it's nowhere near as mainstream as you'd think. It will get there eventually, but it's not there yet.

You don't get the kind of numbers needed to make something like this work unless you have that HUGE brand awareness that a company like WWE has.
    jamamaw said:

I'd want for fight pass to at least give us discounted ppvs. I just don't see Dana giving in. You want to cut down on illegal streams? Offer something like this

They can't. Their contracts with the PPV providers prevent them from offering shows at a discounted price online. Trust me, they'd love to do it. They would make more money on a $30 stream on UFC.TV than they do on a $50 PPV feed because of the cut that the cable, and satellite providers take when you buy a PPV from them.

But if they do that, they'll be in breach of their contracts with the PPV providers, and the cable, and satellite companies will drop UFC Pay Per Views. Dish Network has already dropped WWE because of the Network, and DirecTV has issued a statement indicating they will probably do the same, so this is an all, or nothing thing for WWE, and would be for the UFC as well.

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago. I foresee a future where the UFC has UFC.TV as a subscription service that includes what we think of now as PPVs, and FOX cards, and allows anybody to watch the Fight Night shows for free to try to hook more people, but I think that's probably at least five years down the road, once more content has moved online.
    Xbox Live Gamertag (XB1/360), Playstation Network ID (PS4/PS3), Nintendo Network ID (Wii U), and Steam ID: Mcmax3000, Twitter: Mcmax3000

I've Been to: UFC 83, UFC 97, UFC 114 + Fan Expo, MMA: The Reckoning, UFC 129 + Fan Expo, Bellator 47, UFC 140, Bellator 67, Ultimate Fighter Live Finale, UFC 159, and UFC 165.

Up Next: Bellator 119, and UFC 178.
    edited February 25
    Mcmax3000 said:

I watched the last two PPVs through UFC.TV, and aside from a brief minute, or two where it cut out during UFC 169, I had no issues.

As far as Fight Pass vs. the WWE Network, the big difference is that hardly anybody is buying WWE Pay Per Views anymore outside of a couple of their big events (Wrestlemania obviously, and to a lesser extent, Royal Rumble, and Summerslam). Their other events, aside from those three, generally do horrible numbers, so they don't need nearly as many subscribers for their network to make sense.

Plus, WWE has an extraordinary back catalog that could carry the service on its own. They not only have decades of their own footage, but they also have all of the footage from WCW, ECW, WCCW, Mid-South, AWA, etc that will draw in viewers as well.

On the other hand, you've got the UFC, which is doing much better on PPV (meaning they'd need a lot more subscribers to not lose money over their current business model), and has nowhere near the history to draw on, nor the lapsed audience that the vault access will appeal to (most people that were watching those old fights are probably still watching), nor do they have weekly TV, and multiple live events, and all of the other revenue streams to draw upon as well.

The big thing the UFC also lacks compared to WWE is the brand awareness. Almost everybody over the age of 15 has at least heard of WWE, and knows what it is. There are still A LOT of people that have never heard of the UFC. I know it's sometimes hard to realize when spend time on sites like this where there are a bunch of people talking about the sport, but it's nowhere near as mainstream as you'd think. It will get there eventually, but it's not there yet.

You don't get the kind of numbers needed to make something like this work unless you have that HUGE brand awareness that a company like WWE has.
    jamamaw said:

They can't. Their contracts with the PPV providers prevent them from offering shows at a discounted price online. Trust me, they'd love to do it. They would make more money on a $30 stream on UFC.TV than they do on a $50 PPV feed because of the cut that the cable, and satellite providers take when you buy a PPV from them.

But if they do that, they'll be in breach of their contracts with the PPV providers, and the cable, and satellite companies will drop UFC Pay Per Views. Dish Network has already dropped WWE because of the Network, and DirecTV has issued a statement indicating they will probably do the same, so this is an all, or nothing thing for WWE, and would be for the UFC as well.

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago. I foresee a future where the UFC has UFC.TV as a subscription service that includes what we think of now as PPVs, and FOX cards, and allows anybody to watch the Fight Night shows for free to try to hook more people, but I think that's probably at least five years down the road, once more content has moved online.
    They would love to do it? I doubt it. If the ufc has contracts with the ppv providers, wouldn't that be implemented for wwe's ppvs? If they would "love" to do it they would. It's proven time and time again the ufc is greedy, a lot of posters on this forum would agree. Since the ufc usually do good ppv numbers, I would almost bet they could work out a deal with a provider that wouldn't care if they offer a stream of the ppv. Instead of going after people in a lawsuit who streams a fight, do something about it that would benefit the fans. Maybe then people would think the UFC cares about it's fans
    Post edited by jamamaw on
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

• wedo619wedo619 Posts: 1,293Free
    I watched it when it was still wwf and competed againgst wcw
    photo NickDiazHitem.jpg

sigbet record- 1-0
    wedo619 said:

We are talking about the service not the product.
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

And I actually just canceled my fight pass sub. No way worth it, maybe if it was $2.99 a month or something like that
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

• Mcmax3000Mcmax3000 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,516Moderator, Elite
    edited February 25
    jamamaw said:

If the ufc has contracts with the ppv providers, wouldn't that be implemented for wwe's ppvs? If they would "love" to do it they would. It's proven time and time again the ufc is greedy

Yeah, WWE does have those contracts. I addressed that in my post. PPV providers either already have dropped WWE PPVs (Dish Network), or are talking about it (DirecTV) because WWE violated those contracts.
    jamamaw said:

It's proven time and time again the ufc is greedy

Even more reason why they'd love to do it. They could offer the show cheaper online, entice more people to buy there, and make more money per buy, because they wouldn't have to give half of the money to the cable/satellite companies (which is what they get).

On a $50 PPV you buy from your cable company, the UFC sees roughly $25. On a $30 PPV you would buy from UFC.TV, the UFC would see $30. It would be a win-win for the UFC, and for fans, except that they'd risk getting dropped by the cable, and satellite companies. If that risk wasn't there, there would literally be zero negative for the UFC to offering a lower price online.
    Post edited by Mcmax3000 on
    Xbox Live Gamertag (XB1/360), Playstation Network ID (PS4/PS3), Nintendo Network ID (Wii U), and Steam ID: Mcmax3000, Twitter: Mcmax3000

I've Been to: UFC 83, UFC 97, UFC 114 + Fan Expo, MMA: The Reckoning, UFC 129 + Fan Expo, Bellator 47, UFC 140, Bellator 67, Ultimate Fighter Live Finale, UFC 159, and UFC 165.

Up Next: Bellator 119, and UFC 178.
    Mcmax3000 said:

jamamaw said:

If the ufc has contracts with the ppv providers, wouldn't that be implemented for wwe's ppvs? If they would "love" to do it they would. It's proven time and time again the ufc is greedy

Yeah, WWE does have those contracts. I addressed that in my post. PPV providers either already have dropped WWE PPVs (Dish Network), or are talking about it (DirecTV) because WWE violated those contracts.
    jamamaw said:

It's proven time and time again the ufc is greedy

Even more reason why they'd love to do it. They could offer the show cheaper online, entice more people to buy there, and make more money per buy, because they wouldn't have to give half of the money to the cable/satellite companies (which is what they get).

On a $50 PPV you buy from your cable company, the UFC sees roughly $25. On a $30 PPV you would buy from UFC.TV, the UFC would see $30. It would be a win-win for the UFC, and for fans, except that they'd risk getting dropped by the cable, and satellite companies. If that risk wasn't there, there would literally be zero negative for the UFC to offering a lower price online.
    IMO they wouldn't lose have the buyers of ppvs, so they'd either make the same amount of money or probably a little more. So if they'd love to do it why not.
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

• MauroPedrosaMauroPedrosa Posts: 341Free
    The UFC fight pass is a **** joke

Yes it it, already canceled mine
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

• MauroPedrosaMauroPedrosa Posts: 341Free
    jamamaw said:

I'd even say it is offensive. 9,99 for **** fights in random countries, early prelims and old footage? LMFAO
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,306Free
    jamamaw said:

I didn't even sign up for the free trial.