Cummins got whooped and screwed

JolldanJolldan Posts: 517Free
Before I get a mountain of abuse im not saying he should have won the fight or any crap like that.

I've just seen the Salary pay outs for the event and to say I was shocked is an understatement.

DC was making $80,000 for that fight no matter what top that off with another $80,000 for a finishing bonus and he took away a cool $160,000

Now I know this was cummins first fight in the UFC, he wasn't really a big name and he works part time in a coffee shop yada yada.

But they only paid him $8000. Now there's probably a lot of guys who would willingly take a beating for that kind of money. I'm from the UK so the change is currency can change things a bit but when I converted how much he got in to pounds I couldn't believe it, it was less than what I paid for my first car.

Somebody help me out if I'm wrong but $8000 doesn't seem like a lot to me when you factor in possible costs he has or could have after the fight?
Tagged:

Comments

• PakaLPakaL Posts: 4,106Elite
    edited February 25
    Jolldan said:

Before I get a mountain of abuse im not saying he should have won the fight or any crap like that.

I've just seen the Salary pay outs for the event and to say I was shocked is an understatement.

DC was making $80,000 for that fight no matter what top that off with another $80,000 for a finishing bonus and he took away a cool $160,000

Now I know this was cummins first fight in the UFC, he wasn't really a big name and he works part time in a coffee shop yada yada.

But they only paid him $8000. Now there's probably a lot of guys who would willingly take a beating for that kind of money. I'm from the UK so the change is currency can change things a bit but when I converted how much he got in to pounds I couldn't believe it, it was less than what I paid for my first car.

Somebody help me out if I'm wrong but $8000 doesn't seem like a lot to me when you factor in possible costs he has or could have after the fight?

Hopefully the UFC has a training facility with living quarters for beginning fighters... By the time dude pays off old bills and getting prepped for his next fight he's broke.
    Post edited by PakaL on
    HanDGuN kungFOO mixxed with AK karate(KiLLuminatti)

Belfort~EL GuapO~GraciE

Nemesis2Few^inspiration2many~Veni~Vidi~Vici~

Weidman,Moraga,Cormier,Scareface,MauleR,GingeR~BrownE&HondA HouseY all inspiring.

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    The Truth
    KingzombiE`aka`StundonG 2 Strong

The Notorious Conor Mcgregor ='s MMA's 2pac

Animated Gifs Animated Gifs

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,651Free
    We don't know what they're really getting paid. I remember reading an article about Vinny Magalhaes having issues with wrong pay being reported on hurting him once he got cut from the UFC because promotions were trying to low ball him based on the online reports.
  • JolldanJolldan Posts: 517Free
    PakaL said:

Jolldan said:

Hopefully the UFC has a training facility with living quarters for beginning fighters... By the time dude pays off old bills and getting prepped for his next fights he's broke.
    I know man if he picked up any sort of serious injury from that fight it could have ended up actually putting him in a worse financial situation taking the fight.

If he keeps getting offered that from the UFC and taking it he'll end up a dude with nothing but a lot of injuries and bills.
  • cashflow247cashflow247 Posts: 1,869Ultimate
    edited February 25
    He had four pro fights against some retards. He shouldn't get a fat contract when they didn't want to sign the guy in the first place. He has a manager also. It's not like Patty Cummins made a flippant decision on his own. He chose to fight for $8k.
    Post edited by cashflow247 on
    Sig bet record: Omo-2

Owning the haters since day one

He had four pro fights against some retards. He shouldn't get a fat contract when they didn't want to sign the guy in the first place. He has a manager also. It's not like Patty Cummins made a flippant decision on his own. He chose to fight for $8k.

I wouldn't have agreed on him getting a big deal and yeah he will make his own choice but I still think its a poor show by the UFC on there part.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,072Free
    He saved the card fighting a top fighter in the world on a 10 day notice. It's pathetic the UFC didn't appreciate that.
    Especially as they weren't paying Evans, so the big money assigned to him were there.

It's not like Cummins' manager proposed the $8K, lol, he would ask for 1 gazillion if it were possible. Of course it was UFC's offer, which shows how little appreciation they have. Even though everybody knows the PPV buys would've been way lower without Cormier on the card.

And that big sum Cormier has earned - it's all thanks to Cummins, because the fight was supposed to be scrapped and he wouldn't earn a dime.
    najma said:

He saved the card fighting a top fighter in the world on a 10 day notice. It's pathetic the UFC didn't appreciate that.
    Especially as they weren't paying Evans, so the big money assigned to him were there.

It's not like Cummins' manager proposed the $8K, lol, he would ask for 1 gazillion if it were possible. Of course it was UFC's offer, which shows how little appreciation they have. Even though everybody knows the PPV buys would've been way lower without Cormier on the card.

And that big sum Cormier has earned - it's all thanks to Cummins, because the fight was supposed to be scrapped and he wouldn't earn a dime.

Exactly I haven't seen any news of it but can you imagine if Cummins picked up a bad injury in that fight.
    Im not a manager or a fight promoter but I would have gave him say $15,000 hes was doing them a favour and realisticly setting himself up for a loss.
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,962Free
    The fighters have insurance so any big medical bills would be covered. Also he fought on 9 days notice and for less than 2 minutes. I would gladly take 8 grand for that little bit of work. His payment is a multifight contract in the UFC which he would need 5-6 more fights to be considered otherwise.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• ijosefijosef Posts: 1,645Free
    It's just the UFC pay structure for most new fighters. Eight to show, eight to win. Let's say Pat Cummins made good on his puncher's chance and beat Cormier - he'd still walk away with $16k, far less than Cormier would've made even sans his win bonus. Being on the bottom end of the pay scale in MMA - even in the largest and most successful organization - is barely scraping by. No doubt the risks are huge.
  • cashflow247cashflow247 Posts: 1,869Ultimate
    edited February 25
    What kind of silly precedent would it set if they paid him 25k or something?? Then every time somebody flaked out of a fight because of an injury, the scrub (again, a scrub that they had ignored and refused to sign already) coming in with a 4-0 record against fighters who have a combined record of 9-19 and the last one coming off of TEN straight losses... the scrub is going to think he's worth 25k. Not to mention the next time every single person in the UFC negotiates their contract, they would point at Scrub-o-matic who came in with a record like Pat Cummins and demand that they are worth more than him simply because of experience. Get it?
    Post edited by cashflow247 on
    Sig bet record: Omo-2

Owning the haters since day one

• Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,531Free
    This dude was making 8 dollars an hour working at a coffee shop. 8 grand for 77 seconds worth of work is damn good money. That's like $400,000 an hour. I'd say that's a big improvement for him.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,383Free
    yeah he got screwed, he probably didn't make any money in the end

BUT

He is guaranteed to get another fight in the UFC

plus he told Dana he was going to win, and he didn't
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,300Free
    It's incredibly low. In any country with a minimum respect to human rights, risky and unsalubrious jobs must be higher paid in order to discourage it. Also, they fight an average of 2 fights a year. That's an average 16k per year. And all of it is happening in the so called "fastest growing sport in the world", who hosts millionaire events every month.

Yes, people who defend the UFC in this matter rustle my unrustable jimmies.

• AndersonIsStillTheGOATAndersonIsStillTheGOAT Soon to be replaced by Gunnar NelsonPosts: 3,300Free
    That being said, Patrick was so excited about being called by the UFC he didn't care about leverage. He was the one who could save an event, until he said "I hope you give me this fight because I just got fired".

It's incredibly low. In any country with a minimum respect to human rights, risky and unsalubrious jobs must be higher paid in order to discourage it. Also, they fight an average of 2 fights a year. That's an average 16k per year. And all of it is happening in the so called "fastest growing sport in the world", who hosts millionaire events every month.

Hey if he would have lost even faster he's looking at a million dollars per hour if he gets stomped in 30 seconds instead of 77.

No one makes that kind of scratch. Not even BJJNoob.
    So you wanna be ****ing waiter or a coffee shop barista!?!

Hey if he would have lost even faster he's looking at a million dollars per hour if he gets stomped in 30 seconds instead of 77.

I hope you're trolling with your **** up math, because otherwise you're completely retarded.

I hope you're trolling with your **** up math, because otherwise you're completely retarded.

Do the math homie. $8,000 disclosed pay. No telling whether Dana cut him another check. 8 grand to lose in just over a minute. Sign me up the next time you need a late replacement to go embarrass themselves against a professional fighter.

8K x 50 = $400,000 an hour

That's ballin' son! He could go back to making $275 a week and squatting in Mark Munoz's garage.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,072Free

This dude was making 8 dollars an hour working at a coffee shop. 8 grand for 77 seconds worth of work is damn good money. That's like $400,000 an hour. I'd say that's a big improvement for him.

You, sir, are a mathematical retard.

He made 8K for the 77sec fight... then he made 0$ for the next 77sec, 0$ for the whole next day, 0$ for the next week and 0$ for the next month, as well as most probably 0$ for the following month as well.
    This is not a monthly wage we're talking about here, n00b. This is a singular pay out, which is all you will have earned until the next fight, which may not even come within the next half a year, and if you get injured in the meantime it may be longer.

Also, in the meantime until your next fight, all the costs to be able to get another job (=fight) are on you, which includes the gym fees, trainers, your manager, special nutrition and supplements etc., training gear, all kinds of physiotherapies you may need to regenerate your body and fix minor problems that all pro athletes have to deal with etc.

8K x 50 = $400,000 an hour.

Now call me when he will actually have worked for an hour. Because it's been almost 3 days since the fight and his clock still stands at 0.02h and doesn't look like moving.

• BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    The disclosed pay does not include: Bonuses, Contract agreed incentives, Sponsorship income, PPV revenue (only big names get that though), or other sources of income. $8000 is what he would have been given in contract money but he probably received a bonus check that is not disclosed. Fighter still don't make anywhere near as much as other athletes but they do make more than the disclosed pay would imply.

najma said:

You, sir, are a mathematical retard.

He made 8K for the 77sec fight... then he made 0$ for the next 77sec, 0$ for the whole next day, 0$ for the next week and 0$ for the next month, as well as most probably 0$ for the following month as well.
    This is not a monthly wage we're talking about here, n00b. This is a singular pay out, which is all you will have earned until the next fight, which may not even come within the next half a year, and if you get injured in the meantime it may be longer.

Also, in the meantime until your next fight, all the costs to be able to get another job (=fight) are on you, which includes the gym fees, trainers, your manager, special nutrition and supplements etc., training gear, all kinds of physiotherapies you may need to regenerate your body and fix minor problems that all pro athletes have to deal with etc.

8K x 50 = $400,000 an hour.

Now call me when he will actually have worked for an hour. Because it's been almost 3 days since the fight and his clock still stands at 0.02h and doesn't look like moving.

LOL come on homie you're better than that. I thought that was actually some poor trolling and you still fell for it.
    I will go out on a limb and say he got paid more than 8 grand in the end.

I haven't heard him complaining that's for damn sure. He could still be waking up at 2:30 am to go work for pennies before going to train. I bet that job at the coffee shop pays 8 grand over the course of 4+ months. He'll be back in the cage before that.

It should also be noted that this guy couldn't even get fights for $1,500 on the regional scene because lower tier fighters didn't want to fight him.

Please complain some more though. Again I haven't heard Pat **** and moan like you pansies. He was clearly living on a very frugal budget. He flat out stated without the coffee shop gig he wouldn't have been able to pay his bills.

If you want to **** about fighter pay how about the bantamweight CHAMPION making 11/11...
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,962Free

The disclosed pay does not include: Bonuses, Contract agreed incentives, Sponsorship income, PPV revenue (only big names get that though), or other sources of income. $8000 is what he would have been given in contract money but he probably received a bonus check that is not disclosed. Fighter still don't make anywhere near as much as other athletes but they do make more than the disclosed pay would imply.

It also doesn't include their fees either. Managers, gym fees, trainers, insurance, and other misc fees need to be paid by every fighter.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

It also doesn't include their fees either. Managers, gym fees, trainers, insurance, and other misc fees need to be paid by every fighter.
    Oh yeah I'm sure that week long training camp cost a fortune.

The dude simply cut weight and fought. That's it. There's no training camp when you are 230 lbs 9 days out from a fight that is contested at 205 lbs.

His manager gets what 10%? 800 bucks?

When Patrick Cummins starts complaining about the UFC literally dragging him out of a coffee shop for the opportunity to fight in the biggest promotion then you guys can complain.
  • wedo619wedo619 Posts: 1,294Free
    8gs for 1 weeks work
    I'll take that offeranyday
    photo NickDiazHitem.jpg

sigbet record- 1-0
    Dana probably gave him the cash he was going to go spend on hookers and blow later that night.

Please stop feeling sorry for the coffee shop guy that now fights in the #1 MMA organization on the planet. Let's be real here Pat is DC's boy. I wouldn't be surprised if DC cut him a check so he could get paid his 160K after putting all that time in losing weight and eating healthy.
  • UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,196Free
    Jolldan said:

$8,000 for what was the co-main event? Or whatever they call it when there isn't any good fights on a card.

I don't see how you can charge the public to watch a guy making $8,000.

wedo619 said:

8gs for 1 weeks work
    I'll take that offeranyday

And he probably made at least triple that.

A years salary in the coffee shop or cut weight for a week? Hmm... hard choice.

• BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    edited February 25

Fair enough.

But even I have afforded training camps with Bibiano Fernandes, Clay Guida, Dan Severn, Bill Mahood, andJordan Mein. And I'm young and still paying for university.

Fighters should be paid more, but trust me Cummins took home way more than that.
    Post edited by BAMfreddrick on

Fair enough.

But even I have afforded training camps with Bibiano Fernandes, Clay Guida, Dan Severn, Bill Mahood, andJordan Mein. And I'm young and still paying for university.

Fighters should be paid more, but trust me Cummins took home way more than that.
    This entire fight was a set up by Cormier and Cummins. Of course he made more than that. It's absolutely insane to think that the 4-0 guy that couldn't get a fight on the regional scene and was working in a coffee shop for peanuts is somehow being screwed over by getting a multi fight contract in the UFC... lol the guys on here will **** about anything when they have no idea how much he was really paid.

Sell some wolf tickets, cut some weight and make more money in 77 seconds than you were making in 4 months inside a coffee shop. Do they think this guy enjoyed waking up at 2:30 in the morning to go work for 8 hours before going to train in the afternoon? Not too mention he was doing it for NOTHING! He was making NOTHING AT ALL because he couldn't get a fight.