Should The UFC Build A Super Arena?

Pessimist_PetePessimist_Pete Posts: 6,673Ultimate
edited December 2012 in UFC
I was thinking about the venues that the UFC uses for its shows. At most, they pack in 17 to 20 thousand fans. What if the UFC built a big stadium that could house like 100,000 fans? They could sell the seats for $100 and stil make tons of cash. If they saved all that money, they could even build a bigger stadium and the cycle would continue. Its really a fail-proof way to grow the sport. discuss thanx
Post edited by Pessimist_Pete on
discuss thanx
«13

Comments

  • shinsplintshinsplint Posts: 58,742Banned Users
    edited October 2010
    Imagine sitting in the nose bleed seats, with a beer in 1 hand and binoculars in the other.
    Proud Lyoto & Toquinho fanboy



    Do not break rule No.1



    WARNING: Drunken mods ban for quoting Tweets.
  • Steven_McTowelieSteven_McTowelie Posts: 3,142Free
    edited October 2010
    the UFC have already built a super arena its called UFC Moonbase 1

    image
  • TheCrazyPsychopathTheCrazyPsychopath Posts: 216Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    good lord no...
    i think a viable idea would be to have the fights in football stadiums sure, but building an individual stadium wouldnt be even remotely cost effective, stadiums can cost hundreds of millions of dollars, and lets say (optimistically) 10 events in a year went there, it would take decades for a profit to be made.

    as for more events taking place at this singular location, that makes even less sense because the market for fights is so global that to put fights only there is a blatantly idiotic idea since there is no single location that can bring in more gate than the UFC taking fights to all the biggest countries in the world.

    not to mention there arent enough talented fighters to hold the amount of fights needed to bring a proft from a UFC super arena...

    zzzzzzzzzz:rolleyes:
  • DinosaurDinosaur Posts: 710Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    That can't make the arena too big or the top stands wouldn't be able to see.
  • mma_tomarsmma_tomars Posts: 245Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    In a stadium that holds more than 20,000, the octagon would look like a bottle cap from the nose-bleeds. If they could find some ingenious way to get past that I'd be all for it. Binoculars just wouldn't cut it. Maybe a bunch of giant TV screens in key locations? I don't know. There's really no substitute for sitting cage side and seeing the blood and sweat fly.
  • Pessimist_PetePessimist_Pete Posts: 6,673Ultimate
    edited October 2010
    TheCrazyPsychopath;1306469 said:
    good lord no...
    i think a viable idea would be to have the fights in football stadiums sure, but building an individual stadium wouldnt be even remotely cost effective, stadiums can cost hundreds of millions of dollars, and lets say (optimistically) 10 events in a year went there, it would take decades for a profit to be made.

    as for more events taking place at this singular location, that makes even less sense because the market for fights is so global that to put fights only there is a blatantly idiotic idea since there is no single location that can bring in more gate than the UFC taking fights to all the biggest countries in the world.

    not to mention there arent enough talented fighters to hold the amount of fights needed to bring a proft from a UFC super arena...

    zzzzzzzzzz:rolleyes:
    But you are forgetting that they will own the stadium. This means that they will not need to rent the arenas any more. They could let other organizations like strikeforce and king of cage hold figthts there too. Its a great idea.
    discuss thanx
  • Pessimist_PetePessimist_Pete Posts: 6,673Ultimate
    edited October 2010
    mma_tomars;1306495 said:
    In a stadium that holds more than 20,000, the octagon would look like a bottle cap from the nose-bleeds. If they could find some ingenious way to get past that I'd be all for it. Binoculars just wouldn't cut it. Maybe a bunch of giant TV screens in key locations? I don't know. There's really no substitute for sitting cage side and seeing the blood and sweat fly.
    I'm pretty sure that most UFC shows have about 20,000 at the gate. I'm advocating for 100,000 seats. It could work if they just use some advanced engineering.
    discuss thanx
  • HIMBOBHIMBOB Posts: 2,051Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    Have you ever been to a stadium that holds 100,000 people?

    You wouldn't be able to tell the fighters apart let alone work out what they are doing.

    Mounted Binoculars for all is the only way it could work.



    And there aee many 100,000 seat stadiums aorund th place for them to tuse before they consider building their own.
    There is no charge for awesomeness, or attractiveness.



    Faves,

    Sotiropoulos, Carwin, Penn, Wanderlai, Guida.
  • mma_tomarsmma_tomars Posts: 245Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    HIMBOB;1306543 said:
    Have you ever been to a stadium that holds 100,000 people?

    You wouldn't be able to tell the fighters apart let alone work out what they are doing.

    Mounted Binoculars for all is the only way it could work.



    And there aee many 100,000 seat stadiums aorund th place for them to tuse before they consider building their own.
    Yeah it'd be nice to see them experiment with larger stadiums. But building they're own? Come on man...
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    edited October 2010
    Steven_McTowelie;1306427 said:
    the UFC have already built a super arena its called UFC Moonbase 1

    image
    ^^this


    there have been some good fights up there ..
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
  • BodyModifierBodyModifier Posts: 2,546Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    Great idea.Where do I sign?
    It's like killing a unicorn.........with like a bomb.
  • TheCrazyPsychopathTheCrazyPsychopath Posts: 216Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    Pessimist_Pete;1306507 said:
    But you are forgetting that they will own the stadium. This means that they will not need to rent the arenas any more. They could let other organizations like strikeforce and king of cage hold figthts there too. Its a great idea.
    no its not a great idea, there arent enough quality fighters... unless you think average joe wrestler is going to pull in 100,000 people willing to pay $100 while waiting for a real fight to come around 4 times a year...
  • Pessimist_PetePessimist_Pete Posts: 6,673Ultimate
    edited October 2010
    TheCrazyPsychopath;1306572 said:
    no its not a great idea, there arent enough quality fighters... unless you think average joe wrestler is going to pull in 100,000 people willing to pay $100 while waiting for a real fight to come around 4 times a year...
    You have no business sense. Money can be made very easily with this idea.
    discuss thanx
  • thesoulpowerthesoulpower Posts: 4,476Free
    edited October 2010
    Pessimist_Pete is very optimistic about this arena idea.
  • TheCrazyPsychopathTheCrazyPsychopath Posts: 216Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    Pessimist_Pete;1306712 said:
    You have no business sense. Money can be made very easily with this idea.
    you have no common sense, no it cant.
  • thesystem25thesystem25 Posts: 244Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    TheCrazyPsychopath;1306747 said:
    you have no common sense, no it cant.
    If people pay for a football game, they will pay for MMA. Yeah football is a huge game, but it's still dots moving around. All sporting events are based on hype and atmosphere. You go to be apart of something, not to actually watch anything.
  • JJKidJJKid Posts: 2,649Elite
    edited October 2010
    They would still have enormous monitors all around... I think it's a good idea, build their own, and wouldn't have to worry about scheduling. Also, they could hold more events per month like fight nights etc with actually good fighters, or even WEC events.

    Quote:





    Origin
  • HIMBOBHIMBOB Posts: 2,051Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    JJKid;1306911 said:
    They would still have enormous monitors all around... I think it's a good idea, build their own, and wouldn't have to worry about scheduling. Also, they could hold more events per month like fight nights etc with actually good fighters, or even WEC events.
    Yeah but you can tell who is winning by where the dots are and which way they are moving.
    There is no charge for awesomeness, or attractiveness.



    Faves,

    Sotiropoulos, Carwin, Penn, Wanderlai, Guida.
  • JJKidJJKid Posts: 2,649Elite
    edited October 2010
    HIMBOB;1307132 said:
    Yeah but you can tell who is winning by where the dots are and which way they are moving.
    Don't forget short colour!

    Quote:





    Origin
  • ThePredictorThePredictor Posts: 1,422Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    Why would they build an arena? They cost millions to make and there are already arenas all over the world that are more than sufficient. Globalizing the company more will make ten times the money than building a "home base" type arena.
    Check out my mma blogspot: Pound for Pound: MMA



    Forrest

    Chael

    Leben

    Randy

    Cain

    Guida

    JDS

    Diaz (Both)

  • shinsplintshinsplint Posts: 58,742Banned Users
    edited October 2010
    JJKid;1307136 said:
    Don't forget short colour!
    Or thier color of skin !!! Binoculars are a must !!
    Proud Lyoto & Toquinho fanboy



    Do not break rule No.1



    WARNING: Drunken mods ban for quoting Tweets.
  • No_PantaloonsNo_Pantaloons Posts: 392Free
    edited October 2010
    No offense, but its just a terrible idea. It would be allot harder to sell out if it was always in the same location. People wouldn't be running to buy tickets if they knew another event was 3 weeks away in the same arena.
    Why do you think the canada and UK shows sell out so fast, cause its likely the only ufc show that year in their country.
    Not many would travel out of state to watch it, so no matter where it was built, you'd likely get only local and tourist buys. It really could never be as profitable as how their doing it now.
  • shinsplintshinsplint Posts: 58,742Banned Users
    edited October 2010
    No_Pantaloons;1307403 said:
    No offense, but its just a terrible idea. It would be allot harder to sell out if it was always in the same location. People wouldn't be running to buy tickets if they knew another event was 3 weeks away in the same arena.
    Why do you think the canada and UK shows sell out so fast, cause its likely the only ufc show that year in their country.
    Not many would travel out of state to watch it, so no matter where it was built, you'd likely get only local and tourist buys. It really could never be as profitable as how their doing it now.
    I think you just dont like the sound of progress.

    The sport is evolving.

    But it is a terrible idea.
    Proud Lyoto & Toquinho fanboy



    Do not break rule No.1



    WARNING: Drunken mods ban for quoting Tweets.
  • Bubba_PilksBubba_Pilks Posts: 8,410Free
    edited October 2010
    Pessimist_Pete;1306712 said:
    You have no business sense. Money can be made very easily with this idea.
    Ok there are many, many reasons as to why this would not work (PS. You are probably trolling) but I'll humor you anyway.

    1) First off a stadium that was recently created that holds 100,000 people is Dallas Stadium and the cost of the stadium was 1.2 Billion dollars. According to Forbes the net worth of the UFC as of May 5, 2008 was 1 Billion dollars. Why on earth would the UFC spend it's entire net worth on a stadium ???

    2) The reason for the substantial growth of the UFC is that they take it on the road. No city could constantly support crowds of 100,000 people every month, especially for the cards containing lesser named fighters. Taking the show on the road also creates new fans, whereas a centralized location would hinder this process and stagnate development.

    3) It would be extremely difficult to see from the upper bowls and I highly doubt that fans would pay $100 per ticket to watch it on a big screen, especially when it is constantly in the same city.

    4) The UFC's current business model is unbelievable as they have taken a 2 Million dollar company and turned it into a Billion dollar company in a ten year period. The are currently yielding approximately 200% annual return on investment (ROI), whereas high yielding stocks generally yield 10%. Why would they ever want to mess with their current business model when it is so utterly successful.

    It would be a wast of time, money and would hinder the further development of the sport and in particular the UFC.
    Proud to be the Co-Founder of the GSP MAFIA !!!

    Rory MacDonald: "I'm just in there to collect bodies!"

    ARES, CIGANO, BONES, BARÅO
    SENATORS, PACKERS, BULLS, RED SOX

    JBJF is a good poster

    image
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    edited October 2010
  • brewsterbrewster Posts: 8,313Moderator, Ultimate
    edited October 2010
    Dana nor the UFC have any interest whatsoever in putting the UFC in a Stadium. They have the opportunity now, but will not do it simply because Dana does not want to diminish the experience whatsoever for the fans.
  • cruz2990cruz2990 MexicoPosts: 8,114Free
    edited October 2010
    This has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Sigbet record: 50 - 4

  • UFCCagerattlerUFCCagerattler Posts: 16,120Free
    edited October 2010
    Pessimist_Pete;1306347 said:
    I was thinking about the venues that the UFC uses for its shows. At most, they pack in 17 to 20 thousand fans. What if the UFC built a big stadium that could house like 100,000 fans? They could sell the seats for $100 and stil make tons of cash. If they saved all that money, they could even build a bigger stadium and the cycle would continue. Its really a fail-proof way to grow the sport. discuss thanx
    Impossible.\\

    NFL football teams cant afford to build stadiums. They need the city they are in to do it for them.

    No city is ever going to build a stadium for MMA.
  • fredshaulagefredshaulage Posts: 2,546Registered Users
    edited October 2010
    brewster;1307699 said:
    Dana nor the UFC have any interest whatsoever in putting the UFC in a Stadium. They have the opportunity now, but will not do it simply because Dana does not want to diminish the experience whatsoever for the fans.
    Actually, it sure looks like they will do Rogers Center in Toronto, only as a one time deal because they know it will sell out and set an attendance record that will unlikely be beaten. I will go, but only because I can say I was there if it happens.
  • bosnianbjjbosnianbjj Posts: 3,453Free
    edited October 2010
    image
    the ufc should hold an event there (saitama super arena)
Sign In or Register to comment.