Did you save a life today?

DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free
edited November 2010 in Outside the UFC
I have always wanted to be a doctor. I don't feel faint when seeing blood. I have been on the wrong side of the stretcher a lot in my day. was always interested in the medical field. so anyways, I'm just wanting some insight, if there is any from you guys. seeing as I read about your opinions every day about mma and why someone hugged someone and blah zay blah... I wouldn't mind hearing if any of you have stories or experience in the medical field. Did you save a life today?

I saved a life once. Administered CPR for 25 minutes waiting for an ambulance. If I hadn't been keeping his blood pumping he would have died. Every year at christmas he sends me a card, thanking me. and I said, it was nothing, I was just doing my job. I'm a healer. What are you?

call me Johnny Five, I'm alive, and I need input.
Post edited by Doobster on
"It's either blue cheese with wings or go **** your mother." -- MadFlavor

Comments

• KrangaKranga Posts: 16,055Free
    edited November 2010
    Well done mate. Most people would not know how to save a life.

I'm a life saver (no joke) I keep people safe at the beach. I am very grateful that I have not had to give anyone CPR yet.

But I have rescued many people from the sea

EDIT: the poeple that have already read this, Shame on you for not giving this bloke a pat on the back.
    One of the last true OG's on this board!

RIP to my fallen brothers!
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,237Free
    edited November 2010
    Im a bit of a cynic about the medical industry. I look at hospitals sometimes as little more than death camps and milking people as much as they can.

Don't get me wrong there are good people in the field but the majority I have my doubts.
  • pEd_NoT_4_MepEd_NoT_4_Me Posts: 371Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    good stuff man i donate blood as much as possible and im cpr certified but im a big fan of hospitals ive been saved a few times hopefully that guy helps some1 else out and then that person does the same so and so forth so in you saving that one guy you could be saving many more
    reem will win the sf tourny

sig bet 0-1

youtube bet 0-1
  • Riot_Act101Riot_Act101 Posts: 11,510Free
    edited November 2010
    i have nothing but love and respect for anybody who performs a EMS....cheers guys, you ****in rule :)
  • shinsplintshinsplint Posts: 58,742Banned Users
    edited November 2010
    I give blood. Does that count ?
    Proud Lyoto & Toquinho fanboy

Do not break rule No.1

WARNING: Drunken mods ban for quoting Tweets.
  • DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free
    I just found this thread... forgot I had made it.

thanks for the positive feedback.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,731Free
    Not me

But my wife is a registered nurse

She saves kids
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    I've donated blood 5 times in the last year. I'm also going to school to be an RN.
    Believe in Beard
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    Maybe
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds
    Also, 'grats on saving that man's life. True hero. =D> ^:)^
    Believe in Beard
  • Hayden512Hayden512 Posts: 2,580Elite
    edited January 2013
    I'm an EMT but I don't do it to glorify myself. I do it because I've always loved the medical field and the adrenaline rush you get from a big call is awesome. And on top of all that you get to help people. I've been on full arrests and other critical calls so I'm sure I've helped save a life, along with the team of people I'm with/at the hospital. I don't get to see what happens a lot after we drop them off at the hospital but I've had times where I've sen the person later in the day and I've also had times when I go past the room just a few hour later and there moved the body out already. Either way you do what you can and if its there time to go, it's there time to go.
    Post edited by Hayden512 on
    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Hayden512 said:

I'm an EMT but I don't do it to glorify myself. I do it because I've always loved the medical field and the adrenaline rush you get from a big call is awesome. And on top of all that you get to help people. I've been on full arrests and other critical calls so I'm sure I've helped save a life, along with the team of people I'm with/at the hospital. I don't get to see what happens a lot after we drop them off at the hospital but I've had times where I've sen the person later in the day and I've also had times when I go past the room just a few hour later and there moved the body out already. Either way you do what you can and if its there time to go, it's there time to go.

are you ALS or BLS?

from the way you wrote that paragraph I'm going to assume BLS.

you feel awesome when you get a "big call" ??? that's sadistic.

PLEASE, find a new profession.
  • Hayden512Hayden512 Posts: 2,580Elite
    BLS. I'll be going through my medic in fall 2013 and I might even go on to PA school. Med school has crossed my mind but I'm sketchy on it because I don't know if I'm that patient.

Also I'm saying the adrenaline rush is awesome. And thing is, people are going to get hurt/have a medical problem either way. I don't want you to get hurt, but I want to be there if you do.

edited January 2013
    Hayden512 said:

BLS. I'll be going through my medic in fall 2013 and I might even go on to PA school. Med school has crossed my mind but I'm sketchy on it because I don't know if I'm that patient.

Also I'm saying the adrenaline rush is awesome. And thing is, people are going to get hurt/have a medical problem either way. I don't want you to get hurt, but I want to be there if you do.

ok, sorry, I misread your previous comment.

took it out of context and manipulated your words in my brain, coming to a conflicting result. My insecurities get the best of me.

I think I just like to argue with people that I can't see. Some people would have me committed for talking like that.
    Post edited by Doobster on
    Doobster said:

Hayden512 said:

took it out of context and manipulated your words in my brain, coming to a conflicting result. My insecurities get the best of me.

I think I just like to argue with people that I can't see. Some people would have me committed for talking like that.
    Takes a man to admit when he's wrong. Good post.
    Believe in Beard

Doobster said:

Hayden512 said:

I'm wrong everyday. Which in turn, allows me the opportunity to learn something new everyday :)
  • MABFanForLifeMABFanForLife Posts: 3,580Registered Users
    My presence ensures the safe protection of millions.

You're welcome, Korea.
    Exia will eliminate targets.

Bas Is The Boss!

Patroller For The Anti-Troll Task Force Team. Trolls, Be Warned!
  • thesoulpowerthesoulpower Posts: 4,476Free
    They are dead weight let Korea fall
    Doobster said:

Doobster said:

Hayden512 said:

I'm wrong everyday. Which in turn, allows me the opportunity to learn something new everyday :)
    Bawse.
    Believe in Beard
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    To all that have done this or similar, much respect to you.

really? not one of you guys has a story to tell?

I'd even be content reading lies....just make it believable. One of you must know how to lie. It's one of the first instincts a human learns. for example, "no, I didn't poop my diaper" , "no I didn't" "no" ...

so, lie to me. baby.
  • No, I don't think I've ever saved anyone.

Congrats though, you did something really nice.
  • DrPhilDrPhil Posts: 2,950Premium
    edited January 2013
    I work in an ICU so I've seen plenty of lives saved, and plenty lost too unfortunately.

Nurses don't get enough respect or pay.

I'm not a real doctor by the way...
    Post edited by DrPhil on
  • Bravo13Bravo13 Posts: 2,220Moderator, Ultimate
    I have been a volunteer firefighter and medical first responder for 10 years (now retired from it).

I have saved lives on the side of the highway. Yes, best feeling in the world.

I have also looked into a man's eyes and told him to just hang on a couple more minutes, knowing he was not going to make it. Then watched him die with his head in my hands. Not something you will ever forget.

As a first responder, we were dispatched in town, while the ambulance was coming from the city. We did what needed to be done until they arrived. We were all fully trained firefighters and medical first responders, volunteering out of a sense of community and being adrenalin junkies. I have attended car crashes and cut people from vehicles using the jaws of life. I have seen people broken to the point you would think there is no fixing them.. only to see the ER doctors and nurses have done amazing things. Also, have shocked a person with the AED machine.

There are too many stories to tell.
    www.BACAworld.org
    No child deserves to live in fear
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    I have never saved a person but I have held a man that died after he rolled his car. It was tough but his family was very appreciative that my friends and I were there and able to here his last words.

My brother on the other hand saved two elderly people lost in the woods while we were Elk hunting in Montana a few years ago. It's different than a medical emergency but no one would have found these two for months if he didn't happen to come across them. They got lost and drove their vehicle up an unfinished ATV trail before they got stuck on a boulder and tried to walk out. Well they spent a night in the woods with a little dog.

The next morning my brother just happened to come across them. He couldn't get them out on his atv because the mountain was steep and he didn't think that they could hold on to go back up so he called 911. The dispatcher and volunteers were almost worthless. He gave them the exact GPS coordinates and they didn't know what to do with them. Keep in mind that their are millions of acres of forrest in the area so it is fairly common that people get lost. After that the park rangers and cops didn't want to get them because they would be responsible if the couple was injured while being saved. The elderly man was a korean war vet and had heart problems and hadn't taken his medication for almost 14 hours when my brother found them. It took the volunteers 9 hours to save the couple that were only 2 miles away from a park. We didn't know it at the time but there was a 4 mile flat trail out to a hwy that my brother could have taken them out on.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    It sucks that we can't edit posts after autocorrect messes up on some words.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• PRIDEneverDIEDPRIDEneverDIED Posts: 8,957Moderator, Ultimate
    I save lives everyday by providing alcoholics booze....I get guys all the time that have DTs and withdrawal from alcoholism could be fatal in the moat extreme cases