Sign in to follow this  
TigerChamp

This is not a photo. Art appreciation

Most photo-realistic artists are actually drawing a photograph of their subject -- not the actual subject itself. This means that the image is already reduced to 2 dimensions.  Photo-realism requires more patience than imagination.  It's more craft than art.

Drawing from life is more difficult. The artist has to transpose three dimensions to two.  Once an artist is competent, they can infuse their work with style, and make comments beyond neutral realism.  Once competent the artist will make decisions on what to exaggerate and what to play down to capture the essence of their subject, or make a statement.

• Like 1

This hyper-realism stuff is impressive. But I hesitate to call it art. It's really just crafts, like any still life or portrait done in a realistic style. Art requires more than simple craftsmanship.

• Like 1

Most photo-realistic artists are actually drawing a photograph of their subject -- not the actual subject itself. This means that the image is already reduced to 2 dimensions.  Photo-realism requires more patience than imagination.  It's more craft than art.

Drawing from life is more difficult. The artist has to transpose three dimensions to two.  Once an artist is competent, they can infuse their work with style, and make comments beyond neutral realism.  Once competent the artist will make decisions on what to exaggerate and what to play down to capture the essence of their subject, or make a statement.

Hah sorry, had no idea you'd just posted something similar to mine. :)

• Like 1

This hyper-realism stuff is impressive. But I hesitate to call it art. It's really just crafts, like any still life or portrait done in a realistic style. Art requires more than simple craftsmanship.

Dude, that's art. You may have never seen a beginning musician hard at work, patiently running through scales or a guitarist just starting out whose trying to get his blistered fingers to hold down the strings for a muffled chord, but it's all patience and work. You may not have been there when the newer dancers are counting out "1-2-3, 5,6,7," but they do and the origins are equally clumsy and unromantic. The difference between craft and art is slight, so slight that it is nearly impossible to define, but patience and practice and mimicking are very much a part of art.

• Like 2

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and also welcome to post any art that they appreciate, in regards to hyper realism, it is very much an art form and a difficult one at that. Anybody can draw or paint a face or an object and with freedom of expression it honestly may end up looking like anything, and thats great, but to be able to bring it to life and be close to indistinguishable from a photographic counterpart takes just as much practice patience and skill. A photorealistic portrait done well looks amazing, done poorly it looks hideous or amateur at best.

No one has mentioned the multiple mediums posted, oil, acrylic and ballpoint pen, which all require different skills.

• Like 4

Hyper realism is definitely art and i respect the skill and time but it's still rather dull to me. 

When i look at realism pieces i lose interest in them rather quickly. Less is definitely more with art for me because if you tell every detail there is nothing left for the imagination to explore and determine on it's own. 

I love very expressive abstracts that have nice values, good color balance, interesting composition that is tied together with cool shapes, patterns and textures that flow around the painting and never take you out. Typically those are watercolor, acrylics, gouache, pastel or some mixture.

Oils i tend to like people, indoor scenes, still life. Oils tend to have dramatic moody lighting with rich smooth color so it's excellent for those subjects. 

Landscapes and hyper detail bore me to sleep. Even minimalism or simplistic impressionism if done well is more interesting to me. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Hyper realism is definitely art and i respect the skill and time but it's still rather dull to me. 

When i look at realism pieces i lose interest in them rather quickly. Less is definitely more with art for me because if you tell every detail there is nothing left for the imagination to explore and determine on it's own. 

I love very expressive abstracts that have nice values, good color balance, interesting composition that is tied together with cool shapes, patterns and textures that flow around the painting and never take you out. Typically those are watercolor, acrylics, gouache, pastel or some mixture.

Oils i tend to like people, indoor scenes, still life. Oils tend to have dramatic moody lighting with rich smooth color so it's excellent for those subjects. 

Landscapes and hyper detail bore me to sleep. Even minimalism or simplistic impressionism if done well is more interesting to me.

Like i said bro, each to their own, diversity in art is golden, but post some stuff you like, thats what the thread is for.

• Like 2

Like i said bro, each to their own, diversity in art is golden, but post some stuff you like, thats what the thread is for.

Big surrealist fan in particular Salvador Dali and Alvar Sunol. 

My moms owns a print of this series. It's awesome up close. He's mostly a lithographer. He has a cool very simple stylized style. His colors, textures and compositions are f'ing tremendous. 

AlvarViolinandFlute-250.JPG

Henry Casselli not true completely realism and you can't really see it in this picture but his colors, layering of shapes and fine detail are all magnificent. I've seen these in person. They're amazing. 

20133319421939853.jpg

crow500.jpg

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Nice for bumping this thread, Stomp. Sad how the artist in the OP is barely recognized in my country as a great national talent.

He/she is very talented.  I'm more a fan of abstract pieces that evoke emotion and or satire illustrations that make people think and question things. 

• Like 1

Here's the kinda work i do. They're kinda washed out in the pics but they're way more colorful and contrasting of tone in person. 

41508444191_1dd79196ce_b.jpg

39699972090_86bf40f688_b.jpg39699972850_c52fc69729_b.jpg

41467093392_01d82fb900_b.jpg

41467092952_170c3735ae_b.jpg

I have a ton of nude pin-ups that i did in 3D and one that i painted recently in acrylic but i can't post them here. lol

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 2

Here is three of my 3D work. I mostly like doing dark fantasy stuff, monsters, pin-ups & occasionally full on erotica.  

39700169040_310e6608b5_b.jpg

39700194820_eb2d5f2b60_b.jpg

40615444005_672bcabdc4_b.jpg

• Like 1

I think that artist might be lying then. I don't think you can get that kind of color and tones with ballpoint pens.

Looks like he used acrylics or oils to me.

Either way it's still great work.

He's well known, it's for real. I've seen many of his works over the last few years. I'm more surprised that no one else here has seen or heard of the guy....

Dude, that's art. You may have never seen a beginning musician hard at work, patiently running through scales or a guitarist just starting out whose trying to get his blistered fingers to hold down the strings for a muffled chord, but it's all patience and work. You may not have been there when the newer dancers are counting out "1-2-3, 5,6,7," but they do and the origins are equally clumsy and unromantic. The difference between craft and art is slight, so slight that it is nearly impossible to define, but patience and practice and mimicking are very much a part of art.

There is a HUGE difference between craft and art.

There is a HUGE difference between craft and art.

I don't think a true artist would agree with you.

The art community is filled with posers. They are at the art version of the guys with Tapout T-shirts and tattoos who introduce themselves as a fighter to everyone they meet.

Yeah, I know who you're talking about. The "modern artist." They dress the part, they hang out with other "artists" who dress the part and their parents might've sent them to College where they got an "art" degree (or maybe not) and they tell everyone they are artists, but they can't draw, they can't sculpt, they can't paint. They only do abstract because that's the only thing they can do.

They smear bull**** on a canvas or sculpt bull**** out of clay or perform some entry-level-apprentice welding nonsense and pass it off as art and idiots like you put all your faith in it and look down on anyone who is skeptical because you want to believe that you are smarter and more sophisticated than the masses.

But you're not.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup

The art community is filled with posers. They are at the art version of the guys with Tapout T-shirts and tattoos who introduce themselves as a fighter to everyone they meet.

This almost sounds like someone on these forums. I just can't pin out who always talks about being some big tough fighter.

Im sure I will remember someday.

So Soup, hows your new boots and tap out shirt?

• Like 1

I was starting to think Stomp might need a hug scrolling down through all those :lol:

• Like 1