Sign in to follow this  
TigerChamp

The Science Thread

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread to discuss any scientific ideas or innovations, whether its just cool experimental stuff, or the big heavies of theory.

Ill start of with a neat video I was just watching demonstrating x-rays being produced from sticky tape.

Here are some sites to check out

http://phys.org/

http://www.iflscience.com/

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/

• Like 2

I thought about making a science thread the other day and then forgot. Well done buddy.

http://www.iflscience.com/

Lol yeah Ive been thinking about it for a while, and Im pretty sure the vid I posted was from IFL LOL

I also like http://phys.org/ updated all the time with a huge variety of topics and http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/ isn't too bad either

This video is some serious, untouchable science.

8-} =))

Lol noob, there is an old saying, better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Here is a definition of the word science (since you seem to have your own unique definitions for words).

Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. In an older and closely related meaning, "science" also refers to a body of knowledge itself, of the type that can be rationally explained and reliably applied. A practitioner of science is known as a scientist.

The video asks everybody to take as much information as possible, from as many credible sources as possible, and use this information to make predictions about future scenarios. It also encourages everyone to look at as many possible outcomes they can think of to draw their own conclusion. So basically its taking and organising testable knowledge to form an explanation and prediction about an aspect of the universe.

As I suggested to you earlier, the gentleman in the video is a science teacher with a published book who has over seven hours worth of video online, discussing and answering questions about this very topic, you should get in touch.

Pseudomonas syringae they can help make snowflakes.

Im curious, what process is this?

Ive seen something that looks visually similar where supercooled water freezes spontaneously when agitated

It is ice nucleation. While I don't know much about the physics, I believe the idea is that for water to form into ice it actually needs some sort of microparticle to form around and take shape. Pure water (free of any kind of small particle) supposedly won't even harden at temperatures as low as -30C. I have never tested this myself so . . .

Pseudomonas syringae produces a protein that is very effective at causing rapid ice nucleation.

It is ice nucleation. While I don't know much about the physics, I believe the idea is that for water to form into ice it actually needs some sort of microparticle to form around and take shape. Pure water (free of any kind of small particle) supposedly won't even at temperatures as low as -30C. I have never tested this myself so . . .

Pseudomonas syringae produces a protein that is very effective at causing rapid ice nucleation.

that is very cool.... :>

Ophiocordyceps unilateralis or the fungus that causes zombie ants. Scares the **** out of me personally.

It is used as a food and traditional medicine in China

800px-Cordyceps_ignota.JPG

infected tarantula

Ophiocordyceps unilateralis or the fungus that causes zombie ants. Scares the **** out of me personally.

infected tarantula

Holy **** lol. Fungi are weird as ****.

infected tarantula

Holy **** lol. Fungi are weird as ****.

Absolutely, and speaking of interesting fungi, yeast is arguably one of the most important organisms to mankind.

bread and beer both owe their existence to wild yeasts that entered our foods. And many moulds also play a huge role in our food production and consumption, like cheeses and cured meats. I should also throw a shout to penicilliums discovery for which we got penicillin and antibiotics.

moulds and fungi are really incredible

A new material has been created that absorbs so much light human eyes can't perceive it. It is the blackest material ever created

• Like 1

A new material has been created that absorbs so much light human eyes can't perceive it. It is the blackest material ever created

@carnages41 would approve.

• Like 3

it was created from Matt Browns DNA

• Like 2

if i drink enough blue powerade, i can make green poop.

t_breakingbad_f_yeah_science.jpg

Edited by idyb
  • Like 1

used to be able to get a candy chewing gum when I was a kid called a kabluey. Made your **** a vivid disturbing green blue colour.

• Like 2

We've been doing a David Attenborough marathon here for the past few days, I don't think his docs on our beautiful planet can be topped.

R.I.P.

Edited by chons

We've been doing a David Attenborough marathon here for the past few days, I don't think his docs on our beautiful planet can be topped.

R.I.P.

I agree, but sir david is still with us, it was his brother Richard who recently passed.

• Like 2

Panellus stipticus it glows.

PanellusStipticusAug12_2009.jpg

And that's about all the interesting fungi I know about.

Badass we have a science thread! That's because there isn't much interesting fungi! I still have nightmares about 'aspergillus nidulans ', had to do so many genetic write ups/lectures on that ****er of a fungi 

• Like 3

I agree, but sir david is still with us, it was his brother Richard who recently passed.

Good to know, I'm just glad I didn't blab RIPs everywhere. :P

I blame my wife!

• Like 1

With the recent spamming of love solutions and Indian Hookers, I thought this was loosely tied. Here is the Biological reasoning for why men get morning wood, applicable to all. I was actually unaware that it stops you peeing yourself at night time, so I guess that's good. Also (if you read the article you'll understand) it made me wonder if people with Erectile Dysfunction pee themselves on the regular, damn those guys just can't catch a break. 

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/what-s-story-morning-glory 

• Like 3

I remember doing an experiment at school that involved melting paraffin wax chips and them catching on fire.  The fireball that erupted when I threw the dish they were burning in into a sink full of water was AWESOME!!!  Caused some **** stained undies in that classroom while I lol'd at my own singed eyebrows  :lol:

• Like 2

Densely Populated Countries Could Find Food Independence With Vertical Floating Farms

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/densely-populated-countries-could-find-food-independence-vertical-floating-farms

I think the future will see (if we don't blow ourselves up), more locally produced food, steering towards, indoor and greenhouse growing. There really isn't a real reason for any starvation now.

SFRA.jpg?itok=d8FE3Vsm

• Like 2