Sign in to follow this  
Bubba_Sparks

Not Freddie van Halen's Thread about cricket and other GOAT commonwealth sports. Congratulations England on winning the world cup. Next up: the Ashes.

18 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Absolute causal confirmed. 

Starc didn't play this test match. And the Lord's slope goes side to side... there is no downhill or uphill. 

At this point I'm pretty sure idyb knows more about cricket. 

Excuse me I've never claimed to know chit about cricket I'm just here for the trash talk. Also,  how long do I have to have Chit bloke as my av? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzStraya said:

Excuse me I've never claimed to know chit about cricket I'm just here for the trash talk. Also,  how long do I have to have Chit bloke as my av? 

Lol. It was a one month av bet from when we annihilated you in the WC semi finals. 

So it expired August 11th. I assumed you'd kept it as a subliminal message that you're actually a secret Broad fan. 

Lots of talking points from Lords, Cummins has equaled Mcgrath's score on the ICC test rankings at 914, and Smith really just is something else, hopefully he pulls through, but if he does sit out Labuschagne has shown he'll at least put up a bit of a fight.

All comes down to our top order, English conditions are always tough for us but Warner and Bancroft really havent fired and thats just put too much pressure on the rest of the team so we have to drop one or both, Id bring in Joe Burns and Marcus Harris now, both in great form and could prove the difference.

Not worried about the bowling, all the potential combinations there work and we're spoilt for choice.

Archer has definitely added a lot to the English attack, he should be a mainstay for many years to come. Burns is also a keeper, but Root has failed to impress in more ways than one to put it politely. 

Its all about the bowling this series me thinks, whoever wants it more can take it, but we only need one from three so game on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Lol. It was a one month av bet from when we annihilated you in the WC semi finals. 

So it expired August 11th. I assumed you'd kept it as a subliminal message that you're actually a secret Broad fan. 

Excellent!  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SavageTC said:

Lots of talking points from Lords, Cummins has equaled Mcgrath's score on the ICC test rankings at 914, and Smith really just is something else, hopefully he pulls through, but if he does sit out Labuschagne has shown he'll at least put up a bit of a fight.

All comes down to our top order, English conditions are always tough for us but Warner and Bancroft really havent fired and thats just put too much pressure on the rest of the team so we have to drop one or both, Id bring in Joe Burns and Marcus Harris now, both in great form and could prove the difference.

Not worried about the bowling, all the potential combinations there work and we're spoilt for choice.

Archer has definitely added a lot to the English attack, he should be a mainstay for many years to come. Burns is also a keeper, but Root has failed to impress in more ways than one to put it politely. 

Its all about the bowling this series me thinks, whoever wants it more can take it, but we only need one from three so game on.

Good points. I make us slight favourites for the next game but think you'll retain the ashes. Could see 2-2 from here tbh.

Read an interesting piece by Aggers. Reckoned literally every English batsman was arguably out of position. Roy is not an opener. Denly arguably is. Root shines at 4 and sucks at 3. Butler bats too high and stokes bats too low etc etc. 

Smith is definitely out for Headingly. He's been the difference between the teams so I think that's huge. 

I've been impressed by Lyons btw. Amazing how he keeps going. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Good points. I make us slight favourites for the next game but think you'll retain the ashes. Could see 2-2 from here tbh.

Read an interesting piece by Aggers. Reckoned literally every English batsman was arguably out of position. Roy is not an opener. Denly arguably is. Root shines at 4 and sucks at 3. Butler bats too high and stokes bats too low etc etc. 

Smith is definitely out for Headingly. He's been the difference between the teams so I think that's huge. 

I've been impressed by Lyons btw. Amazing how he keeps going. 

Id agree with all of that tbh. Just read Smith is out so you will be favourites and have confidence coming in. 

Aggers is spot on, Woakes needs to be mentioned in there as well. The talent is there but it not being utilized correctly.

• Like 1

Banned Pakistan batsman Sharjeel Khan 'requests for forgiveness' for spot-fixing in PSL

Sharjeel Khan was handed a five-year ban from all cricket after he was found guilty of spot-fixing in the second edition of the Pakistan Super League in Dubai.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/sharjeel-khan-ban-2017-psl-spot-fixing-scandal-pakistan-cricket-board-anti-corruption-unit-1582449-2019-08-19

if you aint cheating, you aint competing

That last session was a classic bit of English cricket. After the gloom...a surprise bit of brightness, a crowd baying for blood and 8 wickets tumbling. Warner did well to keep going after being terrorised from the first ball pretty much, but the day belonged to England and Archer. Lad has got a glittering career ahead of him. 

Advantage England.... but you know what they say about judging a pitch when only one team has batted. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SavageTC said:

179 is looking alright atm lol

Lol, yeah, it's looking at least 79 above par.

I'm really fed up of our batting line up.  Roy just isn't a test opener; he is just not going to be able to leave 4 or 5 balls on the trot.  And that brings our best batsman (Root) in far too early, especially as he's batting one place too high, which means we're now in the position where our number 6 is facing the new ball.

Smh.  If we still had Cookie he'd be on 2 off 50 balls by now, which is wayyyy more valuable to the team in this situation than a few quick runs before chasing a wide one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Lol, yeah, it's looking at least 79 above par.

I'm really fed up of our batting line up.  Roy just isn't a test opener; he is just not going to be able to leave 4 or 5 balls on the trot.  And that brings our best batsman (Root) in far too early, especially as he's batting one place too high, which means we're now in the position where our number 6 is facing the new ball.

Smh.  If we still had Cookie he'd be on 2 off 50 balls by now, which is wayyyy more valuable to the team in this situation than a few quick runs before chasing a wide one.

That Stokes shot doe... smfh

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, SavageTC said:

Wow....

Can Archer bat?

First class average of 31 mate.

This is all set up for a repeat of Headingly '81.  Archer to take the roll of Botham.

• Haha 1

Ah well. Who'd have thought you would have retained the Ashes by day 2 of the 3rd test.

Congrats lads.  That Warner/whatshisname partnership was the difference.  Pathetic batting from England.  They all think they're still playing in the ODI WC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Ah well. Who'd have thought you would have retained the Ashes by day 2 of the 3rd test.

Congrats lads.  That Warner/whatshisname partnership was the difference.  Pathetic batting from England.  They all think they're still playing in the ODI WC.

I think we need to sit in through day 3 and get a good 4-500+ to really put your mob away properly.. Then bowl them out again for sub 100

To avenge our kiwi brothers for the ODIWC

7 hours ago, -idyb- said:

Sri Lanka confirm tour of Pakistan

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1321121

absolutely incredible! now ive got some cricket games to watch next month.

this is actually genuinely huge news. 

Also, England batting properly in the second innings is making their abject capitulation first time round all the more galling

• Like 1

this is actually genuinely huge news. 

Also, England batting properly in the second innings is making their abject capitulation first time round all the more galling

do these 6 games against sri lanka mean anything or is it just like an exhibition for fun? i have no idea what this actually is or if its important

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, -idyb- said:

do these 6 games against sri lanka mean anything or is it just like an exhibition for fun? i have no idea what this actually is or if its important

They're part of the world test championship. 

The main significance though is that Pakistan have not played any test matches at home for years due to security concerns. They've had to play in Dubai mainly. Big deal for the home fans. 

• Like 1

i read something about that somewhere.   a bunch of teams busses got shot up or something and people were killed.

cricket is serious business over in pakistan i guess.

England are currently 2-1 to win this test, that's ludicrous, it should be 8-1.

Australia are currently 2-5 to win, that's a gift, they should be 1-20.

As soon as Oz get the new ball, they'll take two/three wickets in an hour and England will then proceed to be all out by tea time or thereabouts.

I'm not usually a massive gambler, nonetheless, 2-5 is a licence to win a few hundred.  I'm on it big style.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, StanleyTheBricklayer said:

England are currently 2-1 to win this test, that's ludicrous, it should be 8-1.

Australia are currently 2-5 to win, that's a gift, they should be 1-20.

As soon as Oz get the new ball, they'll take two/three wickets in an hour and England will then proceed to be all out by tea time or thereabouts.

I'm not usually a massive gambler, nonetheless, 2-5 is a licence to win a few hundred.  I'm on it big style.

I have been saying all day that we have no chance, and that all we were doing is building false hope. 

I have never been so delighted to be wrong. Ben stokes you little beauty. What a player!

Leach also with the best 1 not out since Monty. 

@OzStraya, @SavageTC, @crangs, the series is alive again!

Appreciate technically it has nothing to do with crangs but anyway. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StanleyTheBricklayer said:

Well, I used to have a healthy balance within two accounts. Used to :)

What a fantastic comeback, historic, miraculous. 

Assuming you can still put food on the table, I'm delighted for your loss!

Yeah... biggest chase in our history... never comfortable; tremendous nerve from stokes and leach. Got to use this momentum now and take back that urn. 

Absolute disgrace choke effort from the Aussie's with the new ball.  Bowling bouncers and wife's instead of hunting toes.  

But

That ump not giving the absolute definition of a plumb LBW was deplorable and arguably was the point we had the ashes taken away.  

• Haha 1

Lol.

Shouldn't have wasted your second review then mate. To boil down 4 days of back and forth play to one poor umpiring decision seems like somewhat of an over simplification but anyway. Still an unbelievable knock by stokes. Aussie bowlers bowled pretty well overall; sounds like the pitch got pretty flat. 

Lol.

Shouldn't have wasted your second review then mate. To boil down 4 days of back and forth play to one poor umpiring decision seems like somewhat of an over simplification but anyway. Still an unbelievable knock by stokes. Aussie bowlers bowled pretty well overall; sounds like the pitch got pretty flat. 

Given that one plumb LBW would have been the end of the match it's a reasonable point,  no? 

1 hour ago, OzStraya said:

Given that one plumb LBW would have been the end of the match it's a reasonable point,  no? 

Not really.  It's all part of the game, and is out of your hands.  There are so many variables in cricket it's a pointless road to go down, especially in a game that lasts four or five days.  If I was an Ozzie, i would be focusing more on the fluffed run out by Lyon, the dropped catch at Third Man, and the wasted review.  All those three things were in your hands, and getting just one of those three things right would have won you the ashes.

5 minutes ago, SavageTC said:

Has to go down as one of the all time matches

It can be a funny old game at times, well played @Bubba_Sparks well played

Cheers mate.

Yeah, it's right up there with the famous Edgbaston 2005 for me (Headingly '81 was before my time).  I do feel a certain amount of sympathy for a lot of your boys; man for man 8 or 9 of your team outplayed us; you "won" most sessions of cricket, but that man Stokes had a second "innings of a lifetime" in 6 weeks.  Crazy.

Next game is now huge; momentum clearly with England, but I'm assuming that man Smith will be back so it's still anyone's urn!

Then we turn to rugby....can't believe the WC is less than a month away now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Not really.  It's all part of the game, and is out of your hands.  There are so many variables in cricket it's a pointless road to go down, especially in a game that lasts four or five days.  If I was an Ozzie, i would be focusing more on the fluffed run out by Lyon, the dropped catch at Third Man, and the wasted review.  All those three things were in your hands, and getting just one of those three things right would have won you the ashes.

Cheers mate.

Yeah, it's right up there with the famous Edgbaston 2005 for me (Headingly '81 was before my time).  I do feel a certain amount of sympathy for a lot of your boys; man for man 8 or 9 of your team outplayed us; you "won" most sessions of cricket, but that man Stokes had a second "innings of a lifetime" in 6 weeks.  Crazy.

Next game is now huge; momentum clearly with England, but I'm assuming that man Smith will be back so it's still anyone's urn!

There will be dissapointment from our end but you have to pay Stokes his due, heroic effort.

Next match will probably see Starc get a game, and Smith and Labuschagne will be batting together, so with Englands momentum its shaping up to be a good one.

Game on mate!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Cheers mate.

OK OK swim in your shallow victory then you smug holier than thou bastard 😉

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SavageTC said:

There will be dissapointment from our end but you have to pay Stokes his due, heroic effort.

Next match will probably see Starc get a game, and Smith and Labuschagne will be batting together, so with Englands momentum its shaping up to be a good one.

Game on mate!

Yep...and let's be honest, it would be pretty dull if the ashes was over with two matches to go!  I'm definitely looking forward to the "rematch" between Archer and Smith.

• Like 1