Photo

UFC Hall of Fame

hall of fame ufc hall of fame mma hall of fame

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Who deserves to be in the UFC HOF? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who deserves to be in the UFC HOF?

1. Georges St. Pierre (11 votes [9.40%])

Percentage of vote: 9.40%

2. Anderson Silva (13 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. BJ Penn (14 votes [11.97%])

Percentage of vote: 11.97%

4. "Big" John McCarthy (5 votes [4.27%])

Percentage of vote: 4.27%

5. Jose Aldo (4 votes [3.42%])

Percentage of vote: 3.42%

6. Frank Mir (7 votes [5.98%])

Percentage of vote: 5.98%

7. Brock Lesnar (7 votes [5.98%])

8. Jens Pulver (4 votes [3.42%])

9. Ronda Rousey (6 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

10. Don Frye (6 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

11. Kenny Florian (3 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

12. Vitor Belfort (7 votes [5.98%])

13. Cain Velasquez (3 votes [2.56%])

14. Chael Sonnen (2 votes [1.71%])

Percentage of vote: 1.71%

15. Joe Rogan (4 votes [3.42%])

16. Frankie Edgar (4 votes [3.42%])

17. Bruce Buffer (5 votes [4.27%])

Percentage of vote: 4.27%

18. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (7 votes [5.98%])

19. Diego Sanchez (3 votes [2.56%])

20. Other(s) (2 votes [1.71%])

Percentage of vote: 1.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Who do you think will be, should be, or is on pace to be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame?

Will be:

Georges St. Pierre (longevity as a champ)

Anderson Silva (longevity as a champ)

BJ Penn (former champ in multiple weight classes/longevity)

"Big" John McCarthy (the longest standing ref since UFC 2)

Jose Aldo (longevity as a champ)

Frank Mir (two-time heavyweight champ that made the Heavyweight div interesting with superior bjj)

Brock Lesnar (heavy weight champ with tons of noteriety - I blame his downfall on illness)

Jens Pulver (pioneer - made the light weight division relevent before anyone even cared)

Ronda Rousey (pioneer/longevity as a champ)

Bruce Buffer (even though he is a d-bag)

Joe Rogan (as a fight announcer)

Should be:

Don Frye (two-time tournament winner and one time finalist)

David "Tank" Abbott (the first truely outlandish UFC personality and a tournament finalist)

Kenny Florian (as the original fighter/television analyst and a 3 time title challenger)

Vitor Belfort (regaining a title would seal it)

Diego Sanchez (title challenger with many memorable fights)

On pace:

Cain Velasquez (pushes an unbelievable pace for a heavy weight but needs more longevity)

Chael Sonnen (as a television analyst, not a fighter)

Anthony Pettis (if he can maintain some longevity as a champ)

Frankie Edgar (if he can regain a title)

Chris Weidman (if he can maintain some longevity as a champ)

*I am not a fan of adding the entire TUF 1 cast to the HOF.  It makes no sense.  It would be like adding all of the fighters from UFC 1 to the HOF (even worse).  No...

Edited by fonzob1, 09 August 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#2 carnages41

carnages41
  • Free
  • 40,939 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

No rampage?

McMod ban this troll

• Eclipse76 and Epiqu1n like this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

#3 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Rampage for what?  lol  He lacks the longevity in the UFC.  He had a short stint and then got handled by Rashad and "Bones."  There is an "other" option in the poll for people like you.

Edited by fonzob1, 08 August 2014 - 05:57 PM.

• KOOKORK and Identity like this

#4 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

New World Order

• Free
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Frank Mir??

3727390-1171196867-23243.gif

• KOOKORK likes this

The P4P #1 in forum betting.

Betting record: 32-1, 2 NC     ·    Active bets: 3-0

***Next Best Thing season one champion***

53069298-e01b-4e42-b52f-e5f3a54e5478_zps

Lmao cashflow took his soul, literally.

#5 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Why not Frank Mir?  In the earlier days of the UFC heavyweight division, no one had even close to his level of jiujitsu.  He made the heavyweight division interesting back then.  He also broke Tim Sylvia's arm in half to become heavyweight champ for the first time.  He came back from a motorcycle accident several years later to become Interim heavyweight champion and challenged for a heavyweight title 2 more times after that.

Edited by fonzob1, 08 August 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#6 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 763 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

No Velasquez, not at this stage anyway.

#7 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

New World Order

• Free
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

Why not Frank Mir?  In the earlier days of the UFC heavyweight division, no one had even close to his level of jiujitsu.  He made the heavyweight division interesting back then.  He also broke Tim Sylvia's arm in half to become heavyweight champ for the first time.  He came back from a motorcycle accident several years later to become Interim heavyweight champion and challenged for a heavyweight title 2 more times after that.

Oh, you mean the early days of a division that has three good fighters in it MAX right now after years of the sport expanding?

Damn, it must've been so GOAT back then.

Edited by CASHstradamus, 08 August 2014 - 06:10 PM.

• Eclipse76 likes this

The P4P #1 in forum betting.

Betting record: 32-1, 2 NC     ·    Active bets: 3-0

***Next Best Thing season one champion***

53069298-e01b-4e42-b52f-e5f3a54e5478_zps

Lmao cashflow took his soul, literally.

#8 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

No Velasquez, not at this stage anyway.

I agree that he does not have the longevity as a champ yet, but I don't see him losing to anyone out there right now either.  He has uncanny stanima for a heavyweight.  That is why I listed him as "on pace" rather than "will be" or "should be."

Edited by fonzob1, 08 August 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#9 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Oh, you mean the early days of a division that has three good fighters in it MAX right now after years of the sport expanding?

Damn, it must've been so GOAT back then.

It is true that the competetion was thinner back in those days, but that is also true for the other "old-schoolers" that have already been inducted.  Plus, you didn't really address everything I said.  He has had a few accomplishments.

#10 carnages41

carnages41
  • Free
  • 40,939 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Rampage for what?  lol  He lacks the longevity in the UFC.  He had a short stint and then got handled by Rashad and "Bones."  There is an "other" option in the poll for people like you.

Rampage because he was the first to really beat Chuck, Beat Hendo, Unified the titles, pretty much beat forrest, beat Wanderlei (precan), and Machida

Did two TUFs, one of the biggest draws in the UFC

• Eclipse76, waikru, FINISHxHIM and 1 other like this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

#11 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 763 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

Rampage because he was the first to really beat Chuck, Beat Hendo, Unified the titles, pretty much beat forrest, beat Wanderlei (precan), and Machida

He was also the first and only man to KO TUF door, in brutal fashion..
  • Eclipse76, carnages41 and FINISHxHIM like this

#12 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

Okay, I added him to the poll for you.  lol

• carnages41 likes this

#13 classicboxer

classicboxer

Senior Forum Contributor

• Free
  • 12,455 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Sorry, but Diego doesn't deserve it. There are plenty of exciting fighters who are only mid level fighters, but they don't belong in the Hall of Fame.

• NoCakeForYaya likes this
Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

#14 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

TC

• Free
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationGOATstralia

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

Frank Shamrock deserves a spot

• Eclipse76 likes this

XBa2AkD.gif

#15 Pigs_on_the_Wing

Pigs_on_the_Wing
  • Free
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:31 AM

lmao...who said diego?

• Eclipse76, waikru and NoCakeForYaya like this
I despise the UFC for spreading the cards so thin and having events so often. THe hype and anticipation for some of these fights could be unbelievable. Instead we have sub par events creeping up on me 6 times a month to the point i don't even know who's fighting when anymore. Instead we have a system where its damn near impossible to create big stars of the sport. They just don't give enough time to stop and get invested in these fighters.

If im watching the NFL i don't want to see CFL level teams along side them. I want the premier of football and i won't get that with the CFL. Yet the UFC has decided to do the equivalent of this.

#16 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:43 AM

Sorry, but Diego doesn't deserve it. There are plenty of exciting fighters who are only mid level fighters, but they don't belong in the Hall of Fame.

If Dana is considering adding the entire TUF 1 cast, I bet you he will add diego as well.  Dana added Stephan Bonner primarily due to one great fight.  Diego has had many (including a title shot).

Every sports hall of fame inducts guys who made a stamp like Diego.

Edited by fonzob1, 09 August 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#17 Pigs_on_the_Wing

Pigs_on_the_Wing
  • Free
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

If Dana is considering adding the entier TUF 1 cast, I bet you he will add diego as well.  Dana added Stephan Bonner primarily due to one great fight.  Diego has had many.

Every sports hall of fame inducts guys who made a stamp like Diego.

The difference is Bonnar's fight was a huge game changer for MMA.

Diego never had any of those

• Eclipse76 likes this
I despise the UFC for spreading the cards so thin and having events so often. THe hype and anticipation for some of these fights could be unbelievable. Instead we have sub par events creeping up on me 6 times a month to the point i don't even know who's fighting when anymore. Instead we have a system where its damn near impossible to create big stars of the sport. They just don't give enough time to stop and get invested in these fighters.

If im watching the NFL i don't want to see CFL level teams along side them. I want the premier of football and i won't get that with the CFL. Yet the UFC has decided to do the equivalent of this.

#18 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

There is some stupid options on this poll. Some of them were probably put on the poll so we could identify who the retards are. 

On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

#19 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

The difference is Bonnar's fight was a huge game changer for MMA.

Diego never had any of those

How do you know that?  The UFC and MMA continued to grow from the point of the Bonner/Griffin fight.  It is hard to argue that Diego's popularity didn't have something to do with that.  Diego's fight he won against Karo Parisyan is definitely one that stands out. 

#20 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

There is some stupid options on this poll. Some of them were probably put on the poll so we could identify who the retards are. 

It is to gauge by what standard posters think individuals should be inducted.  There is a reason for every person picked, which was stated in the first post.  lol

Edited by fonzob1, 09 August 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#21 Pigs_on_the_Wing

Pigs_on_the_Wing
  • Free
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

How do you know that?  The UFC and MMA continued to grow from the point of the Bonner/Griffin fight.  It is hard to argue that Diego's popularity didn't have something to do with that.  Diego's fight he won against Karo Parisyan is definitely one that stands out. 

Im pretty confident that Diego alone didn't draw in fans to MMA while the Bonnar Griffin fight absolutely did.

Im also pretty confident most MMA fans would agree with me lol. This isn't anything profound. Diego is a UFC vet no doubt, but nowhere near HoF material.

Edited by SteelerNation43, 09 August 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#22 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

It is to gauge by what standard posters think fighters should be inducted.  There is a reason for every fighter picked, which was stated in the first post.  lol

First off, nonfighters should not be included in the HOF 

"Believe in the beard"

#23 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

First off, nonfighters should not be included in the HOF 

I completely disagree.  It's a hall of fame, not a hall of athletes.  lol  Every sports hall of fame has non-atheletes (referrees, coaches, trainers, announcers, analysts, etc.).  "Mask" was inducted for a business relationship with the UFC.

• Pigs_on_the_Wing likes this

#24 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:30 AM

Im pretty confident that Diego alone didn't draw in fans to MMA while the Bonnar Griffin fight absolutely did.

Im also pretty confident most MMA fans would agree with me lol. This isn't anything profound. Diego is a UFC vet no doubt, but nowhere near HoF material.

I don't think you are right about him not drawing in fans.  Of course, neither of us has any real data to substantiate it either way.  But, someone who tuned in for the first time to watch the Sanchez vs. Parisyan fight would have probably been hooked.

Edited by fonzob1, 09 August 2014 - 05:49 AM.

#25 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

I completely disagree.  It's a hall of fame, not a hall of athletes.  lol  Every sports hall of fame has non-atheletes (referrees, coaches, trainers, announcers, analysts, etc.).  "Mask" was inducted for a business relationship with the UFC.

Inducting Mask in the HOF was the dumbest idea ever. They should reserve the UFC HOF for the fighters, since they are what people come to see. 

"Believe in the beard"

#26 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

I don't think you are right about him not drawing in fans.  Of course, neither of us has any real data to substantiate it either way.  But, someone who tuned in for the first time to watch the Sanchez vs. Parisyan would have probably been hooked.

Diego's contribution to the sport is not HOF worthy and I am a Diego fan.

"Believe in the beard"

#27 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

Inducting Mask in the HOF was the dumbest idea ever. They should reserve the UFC HOF for the fighters, since they are what people come to see. 

I understand your perspective.  The HOF is generally used as recognition of who helped build the sport (regardless of what that contribution might be).

#28 Pigs_on_the_Wing

Pigs_on_the_Wing
  • Free
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:37 AM

While Mask might not really deserve to be in there, there are other, non fighters, who i think do.

ie: Big John, Rogan (eventually), Buffer.

Nothing wrong with inducting other personalities in the organization.

• StocktonOverrated likes this

#29 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:37 AM

Diego's contribution to the sport is not HOF worthy and I am a Diego fan.

Fair enough.  That is why their is a poll.  To measure who thinks who is deserving.

• waikru likes this

#30 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

While Mask might not really deserve to be in there, there are other, non fighters, who i think do.

I forgot about Joe.  I cannot add any more to the poll, but he should be on there.

Edited by fonzob1, 09 August 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#31 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

I am just saying that the fighters should have their own HOF that is void of personalities and referees. Perhaps the UFC HOF is not that type of HOF, but they need one.

"Believe in the beard"

#32 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

I am just saying that the fighters should have their own HOF that is void of personalities and referees. Perhaps the UFC HOF is not that type of HOF, but they need one.

No sports HOF is like that.

#33 Pigs_on_the_Wing

Pigs_on_the_Wing
  • Free
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

I just don't see a reason why it should be only fighters.

#34 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

No sports HOF is like that.

The boxing HOF consists of all fighters.

"Believe in the beard"

#35 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

The boxing HOF consists of all fighters.

No it does not.  Sylvestor Stallone is in it.

• Pigs_on_the_Wing likes this

#36 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

I just don't see a reason why it should be only fighters.

Yeah, because the personal risks that Joe Rogan has taken in his career is equal to the risks that fighters like Liddell has undertaken. 

"Believe in the beard"

#37 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

No it does not.  Sylvestor Stallone is in it.

The Boxing HOF is separated, so the fighters aren't lumped into the same category as nonfighters. If the UFC would do the same, I would not be against it.   

• Modern: Retired boxers whose last bout was no earlier than 1943.
  • Old Timers: Boxers whose last bout was no earlier than 1893 and no later than 1943.
  • Pioneers: Boxers whose last bout was in or prior to 1892.
  • Observers: Journalists, historians, writers and artists.
  • Non-Participants: People who made contributions to the sport of boxing apart from their roles as boxers or observers.

Edited by waikru, 09 August 2014 - 05:53 AM.

"Believe in the beard"

#38 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

Yeah, because the personal risks that Joe Rogan has taken in his career is equal to the risks that fighters like Liddell has undertaken. 

A sports HOF is a measure of who made the biggest contributions to the sport.  I suppose "personal risks" can be a consideration, but those could be financial or career risks.  Not just physical risks.

#39 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

The Boxing HOF is separated, so the fighters aren't lumped into the same category as nonfighters. If the UFC would do the same, I would not be against it.   

• Modern: Retired boxers whose last bout was no earlier than 1943.
  • Old Timers: Boxers whose last bout was no earlier than 1893 and no later than 1943.
  • Pioneers: Boxers whose last bout was in or prior to 1892.
  • Observers: Journalists, historians, writers and artists.
  • Non-Participants: People who made contributions to the sport of boxing apart from their roles as boxers or observers.

That is totally fine.  They are still in it though.

#40 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

A sports HOF is a measure of who made the biggest contributions to the sport.  I suppose "personal risks" can be a consideration, but those could be financial or career risks.  Not just physical risks.

That's why they should have their own HOF like in boxing.

"Believe in the beard"

#41 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

That is totally fine.  They are still in it though.

Your arguing semantics. The fact is the fighters have their own thing. You will not see Sylvester Stallone alongside Ali but yes they are both technically in the HOF. The reason why they have separated these professionals is because their contributions were vastly different and are treated as such.

Edited by waikru, 09 August 2014 - 06:00 AM.

"Believe in the beard"

#42 Pigs_on_the_Wing

Pigs_on_the_Wing
  • Free
  • 14,953 posts

Greatness isn't defined by the amount of risk you take.

There's guys who make **** money and aren't famous who risk just as much as guys like Chuck LIddel but they'll never make HoF either.

Its worth noting that these fighters risk a lot but, when talking about HoF material, its not what sets them apart from everyone else.

#43 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

That's why they should have their own HOF like in boxing.

No.  It's one HOF with different categories as you pointed out.

#44 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:04 AM

No.  It's one HOF with different categories as you pointed out.

Oh, I forgot you like to argue semantics. Because they didn't want multiple HOFs they sectioned off one in order to differentiate the differences in their contribution which just happens to be the root of my argument.  

Edited by waikru, 09 August 2014 - 06:06 AM.

"Believe in the beard"

#45 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

Oh, I forgot you like to argue semantics. Because they didn't want multiple HOFs they sectioned off one in order to differentiate the differences in their contribution which just happens to be the root of my argument.  

LOL.  The point is, there is room for other types of personalities in a sports HOF (whether you consider it separate HOF's, or just one with categories).  We all know how these individuals have contributed to the UFC.

• waikru likes this

#46 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

Greatness isn't defined by the amount of risk you take.

There's guys who make **** money and aren't famous who risk just as much as guys like Chuck LIddel but they'll never make HoF either.

Its worth noting that these fighters risk a lot but, when talking about HoF material, its not what sets them apart from everyone else.

I never said that personal risk was the only factor. I stated that the contribution of athletes and nonathletes are different and should be treated as such.

"Believe in the beard"

#47 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

LOL.  The point is, there is room for other types of personalities in a sports HOF (whether you consider it separate HOF's, or just one with categories).  We all know how these individuals have contributed to the UFC.

I agree with that and I am not necessarily against them having their own HOF. I just don't want them mixed in with the athletes.

"Believe in the beard"

#48 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

I also like how the BHOF separate the athletes based on the era in which they fought.

"Believe in the beard"

#49 Pigs_on_the_Wing

Pigs_on_the_Wing
  • Free
  • 14,953 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

I agree with that and I am not necessarily against them having their own HOF. I just don't want them mixed in with the athletes.

i find it quite irrelevant whether they're grouped together or not.

#50 waikru

waikru

UFC President

• Free
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

i find it quite irrelevant whether they're grouped together or not.

Well I find it quite relevant. Joe Rogan's contribution to the sport is in no way similar to watching a legend in the cage. I pay to see the fighter, not to hear Rogan. As a matter of fact, they could have zero commentators and I would still watch.

"Believe in the beard"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hall of fame, ufc hall of fame, mma hall of fame