96 replies to this topic

#1 OfWolfandMan

OfWolfandMan
  • Free
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationThe Cuban Can Cheated His Way To Victory Because He Gassed

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

http://www.mmafighti...ty-to-guarantee

Uhhhh......first and most importantly - WWE is fake/scripted....UFC is REAL....HELLO!!!!! I dont care how many ridiculously insnae techniques you manage to execute - its fake....FAAAAAAKKKE!!!!

Few things are more glorious and amazing than the unexpected front kick the face, KTFO of an undefeated legend, or brutal KO body slam.

As for "rewatching", I couldnt disagree more. Considering the best fights are fast paced, theres alot going on, be it 15 mins or 25mins of fighting. All kinds of good stuff to go back and see again or catch what was missed before.

Quite frankly, I got over wrestling when I was like 10, maybe 13 - at the latest.

ronda-rousey-eyes-135-division-1_origina

#2 Weidman_Te_GOAT

Weidman_Te_GOAT
  • Free
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

I've never been able to understand how an adult can rationally decide to watch professional wrestling of any kind.

• DoomPatrol, Eclipse76, PunchBag and 6 others like this

28dez2013-chris-weidman-golpeia-anderson

#3 -richard

-richard
  • Free
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

I've never been able to understand how an adult can rationally decide to watch professional wrestling of any kind.

Because its a good laugh

• juice64011, Eclipse76, OfWolfandMan and 1 other like this

y5nBXv.jpg

#4 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

29f9he0.jpg

• DoomPatrol, FINISHxHIM, Weidman_Te_GOAT and 1 other like this

#5 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

Because its a good laugh

Yeah it's not rational but there's nostalgia there for sure. (slightly off topic but how's the weather in your area man? Mad rain over here). 

#6 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

I do like watching old Hulk Hogan do his "bad guy" routine from time to time on TNA wrestling.  Memories...

#7 -richard

-richard
  • Free
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Yeah it's not rational but there's nostalgia there for sure. (slightly off topic but how's the weather in your area man? Mad rain over here). 

Not bad now.  showers in morning and 70 MPH winds, but seems to have blown over now.   looking forward to seeing what the roads are like tomorrow.  

y5nBXv.jpg

#8 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

Not bad now.  showers in morning and 70 MPH winds, but seems to have blown over now.   looking forward to seeing what the roads are like tomorrow.  

Good to hear. We still have steady rain but I think it should be fine now. Got caught in the absolute worst of it waiting for my bus, was rather unpleasant. 

#9 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

As for "rewatching", I couldnt disagree more. Considering the best fights are fast paced, theres alot going on, be it 15 mins or 25mins of fighting. All kinds of good stuff to go back and see again or catch what was missed before.

See, I actually agree with them on that one. I'm sitting here as I type this re watching an old wrestling event (SummerSlam 1992, just in case anybody was wondering), whereas I can probably count the number of UFC fights that I've re watched in my life on my fingers (and I'm somebody that hasn't missed a televised UFC fight since 2005, and in that nine years, I've purchased maybe two dozen WWE PPVs).

I also agree with pro wrestling having a greater ability to guarantee a quality show, but that said, a great show is far from a guarantee in pro wrestling. There is no shortage of **** shows one can point to in WWE history.
  • DALLA$CowboysFAN likes this

Xbox Live || Playstation Network || Nintendo Network || Steam || Twitter

Live Events Attended: UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2, UFC 97: Redemption, UFC 114: Jackson vs. Evans + Fan Expo, MMA: The Reckoning, UFC 129: St. Pierre vs. Shields + Fan Expo, Bellator 47, UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida, Bellator 67, Ultimate Fighter Live Finale, UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen, UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson, and Bellator 119.

#10 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

See, I actually agree with them on that one. I'm sitting here as I type this re watching an old wrestling event (SummerSlam 1992, just in case anybody was wondering), whereas I can probably count the number of UFC fights that I've re watched in my life on my fingers (and I'm somebody that hasn't missed a televised UFC fight since 2005, and in that nine years, I've purchased maybe two dozen WWE PPVs).

I also agree with pro wrestling having a greater ability to guarantee a quality show, but that said, a great show is far from a guarantee in pro wrestling. There is no shortage of **** shows one can point to in WWE history.

"Show" is the key word.  Professional wrestling is just scripted theatrics with stunts.  MMA is a sport.  We are comparing apples and oranges here.

And to be honest with you, I would love to watch an old UFC tournament from the mid-90's that I have not seen in years.  Fox should broadcast some of those.

Edited by fonzob1, 10 August 2014 - 03:34 PM.

• JohnnyZadar, KOOKORK, TheHNIC and 1 other like this

#11 OfWolfandMan

OfWolfandMan
  • Free
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationThe Cuban Can Cheated His Way To Victory Because He Gassed

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Maybe thats because you grew up on wrestling and have a more nastalgic appreciation for it? I grew up in the 80's, love me some old Duran Duran & Poison...but damn, those acts are long gone and irrelavant for todays crowd.

WWE is just script, so its alot like watch sitcom reruns; you enjoy the moment, not the narrative.

As far as a better show - I almost agreed-  until I reminded myself that, again, its about script vs real - and while there have been and will continue to be plenty of snoozers in UFC, there are still plenty of good fights to balance it out. And, if I may be so bold, what makes most fights "good" is less to do with the fights themselves and more to do with the undertsanding the fans have and their ability to appreciate whats happening. Thats why WWE is easy for simple-minded folks - its low hanging fruit.

• DoomPatrol and StocktonOverrated like this

ronda-rousey-eyes-135-division-1_origina

#12 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

"Show" is the key word.  Professional wrestling is just scripted theatrics with stunts.  MMA is a sport.  We are comparing apples and oranges here.

They are both in the business of creating stars, and matches that people want to pay money to see. They are both in the business of telling stories to get people interested enough in the matches they're presenting that they're willing to pay to see the end result.

Yes, the end product when it gets to be time for the match is very different, but everything else about the two businesses is very similar (boxing too).
  • -richard likes this

Live Events Attended: UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2, UFC 97: Redemption, UFC 114: Jackson vs. Evans + Fan Expo, MMA: The Reckoning, UFC 129: St. Pierre vs. Shields + Fan Expo, Bellator 47, UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida, Bellator 67, Ultimate Fighter Live Finale, UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen, UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson, and Bellator 119.

#13 -richard

-richard
  • Free
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

why do people like the OP compare 'Wrestling' to a sport?  its a soap opera

• StocktonOverrated likes this

y5nBXv.jpg

#14 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

New World Order

• Free
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

WWE has one thing on MMA:

brock_mouthpiece_spit.gif

• Polo, -richard and NoCakeForYaya like this

The P4P #1 in forum betting.

Betting record: 32-1, 2 NC     ·    Active bets: 3-0

***Next Best Thing season one champion***

53069298-e01b-4e42-b52f-e5f3a54e5478_zps

Lmao cashflow took his soul, literally.

#15 Weidman_Te_GOAT

Weidman_Te_GOAT
  • Free
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

what makes a **** show any different than a decent pro wrestling show considering everyone knows that both events are fake?

Edited by Weidman__the__Great, 10 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#16 idyb

idyb

Jimmies Rustled

• Free
  • 24,710 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

i only watch wrestlemania every year to watch the undertaker

• idyb likes this

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

#17 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

what makes a **** show any different than a decent pro wrestling show considering everyone knows that both events are fake?

The quality of the wrestling, and story telling?

That's like asking what makes a good movie different than a bad movie.

#18 Weidman_Te_GOAT

Weidman_Te_GOAT
  • Free
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

The quality of the wrestling, and story telling?

That's like asking what makes a good movie different than a bad movie.

the "quality of the wrestling"?? lmao wtf are you talking about, every ounce of the wrestling is fake. how is there any quality in that?

• JohnnyZadar and OfWolfandMan like this

#19 Traitor217

Traitor217
  • Free
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

Wwe was only entertaining before my balls dropped..
  • JohnnyZadar and OfWolfandMan like this

#20 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

the "quality of the wrestling"?? lmao wtf are you talking about, every ounce of the wrestling is fake. how is there any quality in that?

Let me get this straight... The fact that something is scripted prevents there from being varying degrees of quality?

So, there's also no such thing as good, or bad scripted TV shows? Or movies? Or novels? Or plays?

#21 carnages41

carnages41
  • Free
  • 40,968 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

don't disrespect McRedNeck like that

• juice64011, carnages41 and -richard like this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

#22 KOOKORK

KOOKORK
  • Free
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Enjoying a WWE show for a fan of UFC like me who has not been involved to WWE before is not very probable  but enjoying a UFC card for a WWE fan is quite possible. What the hell did I say?

It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta

#23 TheHNIC

TheHNIC

Head ***** In Charge

• Free
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationNiger, Africa

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

They are both in the business of creating stars, and matches that people want to pay money to see. They are both in the business of telling stories to get people interested enough in the matches they're presenting that they're willing to pay to see the end result.

Yes, the end product when it gets to be time for the match is very different, but everything else about the two businesses is very similar (boxing too).

if you're watching a 90s WWF you're probably a virgin.

• JohnnyZadar and carnages41 like this
This^.

#24 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

New World Order

• Free
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

WTG: Don't forget that McMahon doesn't have to take your ****, homie. You will get bant so fast your head will spin.

• carnages41 likes this

#25 StocktonOverrated

StocktonOverrated
  • Free
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Only one of them is in the business of true competitive fighting, though.  That is a key difference.

#26 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

if you're watching a 90s WWF you're probably a virgin.

I am, but I'd put that pretty low on the lengthy list of reasons why.
  • idyb, carnages41 and cashfl0w like this

#27 carnages41

carnages41
  • Free
  • 40,968 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Is it because your standards are so high that no one can match them?

Except Eva Marie, who you will never meet

• juice64011 and cashfl0w like this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#28 Ozpride

Ozpride

New World Order

• Free
  • 5,342 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

I can rewatch both older ones but to a point he's right. I think the rewatch factor has dropped considerably since I stopped copping the DVD's and was able to download I'd say around UFC 100 it kind of peaked. Once the old school heroes are all gone, the gatekeepers who could headline main events / ex champs of Franklin, Jardine, Chuck, Rampage, Hughes, GSP, Tito (Jardine was in 3 main events FYI maybe 4) the classic vibe has gone for the non. Follower to some extent
  • StocktonOverrated likes this

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION

#29 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

New World Order

• Free
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Eva-Marie-Instagram-WWE-Diva-01.jpg

• carnages41 and cashfl0w like this

#30 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

No, that's not on the list at all.

And I'm going to Wrestlemania next year, so it's not impossible that I'd ever meet her.

Actually, scratch that, it is, because I'd never wait in that line.
  • carnages41 likes this

#31 carnages41

carnages41
  • Free
  • 40,968 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

No, that's not on the list at all.

And I'm going to Wrestlemania next year, so it's not impossible that I'd ever meet her.

Actually, scratch that, it is, because I'd never wait in that line.

ok so its because you are a homosexual

• JohnnyZadar, juice64011, carnages41 and 2 others like this

#32 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

ok so its because you are a homosexual

Yes. The only two possible reasons for my virginity are that I'm way too picky, or that I'm gay. Sure. There are no other possibilities.
  • carnages41, KOOKORK and cashfl0w like this

#33 Yesterdays_Hero

Yesterdays_Hero
  • Free
  • 25,501 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

WWE isn't fake, UFC is fake

#34 carnages41

carnages41
  • Free
  • 40,968 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yes. The only two possible reasons for my virginity are that I'm way too picky, or that I'm gay. Sure. There are no other possibilities.

Well there is one more possibility, you could be a devote christian like Jon Jones......but I don't think Rednecks are allowed to be devote christians 

#35 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Well there is one more possibility, you could be a devote christian like Jon Jones......but I don't think Rednecks are allowed to be devote christians

Nope. I'm not even a tiny bit religious.
  • Weidman_Te_GOAT likes this

#36 carnages41

carnages41
  • Free
  • 40,968 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

McMod i'm pretty sure you can go out and tell girls that you are a forum moderator and they will gladly give you their number

• juice64011, carnages41, Polo and 3 others like this

#37 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

McMod i'm pretty sure you can go out and tell girls that you are a forum moderator and they will gladly give you their number

I'll give that a try. I'm sure it's the cure to all of my problems.
  • idyb, carnages41, KOOKORK and 2 others like this

#38 StompGrind

StompGrind
  • Free
  • 23,308 posts
  • LocationThe mean streets of Cajun country

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

I'll give that a try. I'm sure it's the cure to all of my problems.

Or just tell them you drive a Ferrari then slip a roofie in their drink after distracting them & pointing outside.

That's what Carnage does.  

• carnages41 and TheHNIC like this

#39 StompGrind

StompGrind
  • Free
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

@Mcmod have you ever watched any japanese pro wrestling? 

#40 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

@Mcmod have you ever watched any japanese pro wrestling?

No. I seriously considered watching this year's G1 tournament on iPPV, but it was going to be too much to watch with the amount of school stuff I had going on for the end of the semester.

Maybe I'll try checking out the Tokyo Dome show at the beginning if next year if they figure out their iPPV situation.

I did watch the New Japan/Ring of Honor show from New York a few months ago. That was a fun show.
  • StompGrind likes this

#41 StompGrind

StompGrind
  • Free
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

No. I seriously considered watching this year's G1 tournament on iPPV, but it was going to be too much to watch with the amount of school stuff I had going on for the end of the semester.

Maybe I'll try checking out the Tokyo Dome show at the beginning if next year if they figure out their iPPV situation.

I did watch the New Japan/Ring of Honor show from New York a few months ago. That was a fun show.

I like the way they wrestle better because it's kind of like a scripted version of shooto/pancrease. It's more real techniques mixed with the 'show' techniques and it's far more believable they don't really over act as much. Some of the matches could even pass for real fights almost. I haven't watched any new stuff just saw some stuff back in pride days with Saku and all the catch wrestling/shooto guys Billy Robinson, Karl Gotch and Inoki trained. I only watched a matches here and there on youtube though

American pro wrestling is too gimmicky and theatrical moves and more about story telling. I haven't really watched anything since the late 80's early 90's. 

Edited by StompGrind, 10 August 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#42 IRT.

IRT.
  • Free
  • 20,708 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

why is the WWE even bashing martial arts anyways, its an actual sport, every sport in this world cannot guarantee every show or game to be entertaining

wwe is like theatre lol, you cannot compare the two

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/

IRT

#43 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Ring of Honor is basically the North American version of that. It's not quite the same, but it's the closest that we've got over here. I've been to a few of their shows (they did one in Montreal the night before the Silva/Leites fight that I went to, so we went to that. Got front row tickets).

#44 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

why is the WWE even bashing martial arts anyways, its an actual sport, every sport in this world cannot guarantee every show or game to be entertaining

wwe is like theatre lol, you cannot compare the two

They're both PPV businesses (or at least were), so they get asked about the UFC as potential competition by business people, and of course WWE executives can't come out, and say "yeah, they're kicking our ****".

#45 IRT.

IRT.
  • Free
  • 20,708 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

I could watch better movies for a cheaper price than order a scripted show for 60 bucks anyways

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/

IRT

#46 classicboxer

classicboxer

Senior Forum Contributor

• Free
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

WWE's trolling the UFC community.

Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

#47 Weidman_Te_GOAT

Weidman_Te_GOAT
  • Free
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

Let me get this straight... The fact that something is scripted prevents there from being varying degrees of quality?

So, there's also no such thing as good, or bad scripted TV shows? Or movies? Or novels? Or plays?

that's completely different than faking a wrastling match with a bunch of washed up roided cans and you know it.

don't disrespect McRedNeck like that

mcmax knows he is still my homie.

WTG: Don't forget that McMahon doesn't have to take your ****, homie. You will get bant so fast your head will spin.

he can but then i will just have to toy with him on the feet and make him quit from strikes in ea ufc again like i did before the last time that we fought.

#48 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000

Nerd

• Moderators
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

that's completely different than faking a wrastling match with a bunch of washed up roided cans and you know it.

Nope.

#49 idyb

idyb

Jimmies Rustled

• Free
  • 24,710 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

dude you gotta come around here. there are girls that hang around the soup kitchen that will fix that problem for $20.

• idyb likes this

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

#50 Jbrahams

Jbrahams
  • Ultimate
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

http://www.mmafighti...ty-to-guarantee

Uhhhh......first and most importantly - WWE is fake/scripted....UFC is REAL....HELLO!!!!! I dont care how many ridiculously insnae techniques you manage to execute - its fake....FAAAAAAKKKE!!!!

Few things are more glorious and amazing than the unexpected front kick the face, KTFO of an undefeated legend, or brutal KO body slam.

Quite frankly, I got over wrestling when I was like 10, maybe 13 - at the latest.

Yeah its dumb to compare the two, when one is scripted and one is two guys who are more worried about the outcome of winning and getting more money as compared to putting on a show (even though some fighters try hard to put on a good fight).

I understand why people don't like wrestling but the whole "it's fake" argument is getting pretty old, every movie you watch is scripted and has a pre determined outcome, just like pro wrestling, yet lots of people say that's the only reason they don't watch it.

• Mcmax3000 likes this
UFC Community account: _Josh_