• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -richard

-richard
  • Free
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

A sixth grade Brantley Elementary teacher was put on paid administrative leave Wednesday after a Facebook post revealed the teacher allegedly instructed the students Tuesday to reenact a Ferguson, Mo. shooting known nationwide.

Jessica Baughn, the mother of Brantley sixth grade student Jimmy Griffin, posted a complaint Tuesday on the Sound Off Selma Facebook page. In the post, Guaghn expressed her shock after learning a teacher had told the class to reenact the shooting in which an unarmed Mike Brown was shot by police Aug. 9 in Ferguson, Mo.

Students were reportedly asked to research the shooting online, finding out such details as to how many times Brown was shot and where.

“I don’t think that it needs to be talked about at school at all, let alone reenacted,” Baughn said. “It scares me as a parent, because any one of those children could have picked up their aunt, uncle, grandma or whoever’s gun and pointed it at another child and it went off accidentally.”

Dallas County Schools Superintendent of Education Don Willingham said an instructor was teaching about current events, as planned, when someone brought up the Brown shooting. He said the class conducted a “skit” about the Brown incident, but declined to give further details of the “skit” or who suggested it.

Willingham said he conducted an interview with the Brantley’s principal Audrey Larkin Strong, the teacher involved, Baughn and Griffin.

Willingham declined to identify the sixth teacher involved until further interviews could be conducted.

“We wish the conversation didn’t have to take place, but it’s been reported to us and we’re addressing it as quick as we can,” Willingham said.

Strong said the school doesn’t make a practice of teaching violence, but instead teaches standards.

“Brantley’s culture does not support division,” Strong said. “We do recognize diversity, but we do not support division. Our culture is a strong culture.”

Willingham said putting the teacher on paid administrative leave was the best decision, considering the situation.

“I did put the teacher on administrative leave with pay, because we wanted to do the investigation,” he said. “It’s standard procedure.”

Willingham said he would continue the investigation by conducting additional interviews with those involved, including other students who were present at the time of the incident.

Read more: http://www.selmatime.../#ixzz3B45BUT3M

y5nBXv.jpg

#2 Megasoup

Megasoup
  • Free
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

A sixth grade Brantley Elementary teacher was put on paid administrative leave Wednesday after a Facebook post revealed the teacher allegedly instructed the students Tuesday to reenact a Ferguson, Mo. shooting known nationwide.

Jessica Baughn, the mother of Brantley sixth grade student Jimmy Griffin, posted a complaint Tuesday on the Sound Off Selma Facebook page. In the post, Guaghn expressed her shock after learning a teacher had told the class to reenact the shooting in which an unarmed Mike Brown was shot by police Aug. 9 in Ferguson, Mo.

Students were reportedly asked to research the shooting online, finding out such details as to how many times Brown was shot and where.

“I don’t think that it needs to be talked about at school at all, let alone reenacted,” Baughn said. “It scares me as a parent, because any one of those children could have picked up their aunt, uncle, grandma or whoever’s gun and pointed it at another child and it went off accidentally.”

Dallas County Schools Superintendent of Education Don Willingham said an instructor was teaching about current events, as planned, when someone brought up the Brown shooting. He said the class conducted a “skit” about the Brown incident, but declined to give further details of the “skit” or who suggested it.

Willingham said he conducted an interview with the Brantley’s principal Audrey Larkin Strong, the teacher involved, Baughn and Griffin.

Willingham declined to identify the sixth teacher involved until further interviews could be conducted.

“We wish the conversation didn’t have to take place, but it’s been reported to us and we’re addressing it as quick as we can,” Willingham said.

Strong said the school doesn’t make a practice of teaching violence, but instead teaches standards.

“Brantley’s culture does not support division,” Strong said. “We do recognize diversity, but we do not support division. Our culture is a strong culture.”

Willingham said putting the teacher on paid administrative leave was the best decision, considering the situation.

“I did put the teacher on administrative leave with pay, because we wanted to do the investigation,” he said. “It’s standard procedure.”

Willingham said he would continue the investigation by conducting additional interviews with those involved, including other students who were present at the time of the incident.

Read more: http://www.selmatime.../#ixzz3B45BUT3M

I don't know what she said, so it would be tough to comment on this.  Truly, even these forums get awfully heated when we talk about this, and we are complete strangers interact with eachother from far, far away...and I believe we're mostly adults.  So, I can see where a discussion or a reenactment could have possibly gotten out of hand.  I'm not saying it did.  The article isn't saying it did, either.

My knee-jerk reaction is that a teacher should be allowed to teach, and most certainly if they're covering a subject that falls within the parameters of their course.  On the surface, a reenactment of a current event that has garnered worldwide attention doesn't seem out of line.   And it sounds like the argument of the student's parent is irrelevant; "It scares me as a parent, because any one of those children could have picked up their aunt, uncle, grandma or whoever’s gun and pointed it at another child and it went off accidentally.”  Using that thinking, maybe teachers should refrain from teaching about the Civil War because children might try to enslave minorities or organize their state to secede from the Union.  

But, I don't know the details.

Edited by Megasoup, 21 August 2014 - 09:06 PM.

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#3 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

New World Order

• Free
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

Let's be honest here. Television has taught us all lately that there are people who are simply unaware of the truth, the misguided, and the purposely dishonest. The trio of those seem to represent a large chunk of society. Would they relay an honest, non-biased account of the story to someone else? Of course not.

Most of us will never see the photo that Polo posted in the other thread with Mike Brown pointing a gun at the camera. The dishonest will disregard the gas station video as some type of smear campaign. That leaves a smaller minority of us that are intelligent enough to dissect what actually took place here.

There may have been a criminal involved. Perhaps a physical altercation. Maybe even a police officer using excessive force. However, it wasn't the wisest move to put it on children to decipher who is who when the media doesn't even have it straight yet. About the only thing you can achieve from this activity is sprouting a seed of racism in one or more of these kids.

The P4P #1 in forum betting.

Betting record: 32-1, 2 NC     ·    Active bets: 3-0

***Next Best Thing season one champion***

53069298-e01b-4e42-b52f-e5f3a54e5478_zps

Lmao cashflow took his soul, literally.

#4 Jason_H.

Jason_H.
  • Free
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

TL but I did read it.  Nothing will come out of this investigation and the teacher will be praised for going beyond the scope of her teaching duties.  

#5 Megasoup

Megasoup
  • Free
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

Let's be honest here. Television has taught us all lately that there are people who are simply unaware of the truth, the misguided, and the purposely dishonest. The trio of those seem to represent a large chunk of society. Would they relay an honest, non-biased account of the story to someone else? Of course not.

Most of us will never see the photo that Polo posted in the other thread with Mike Brown pointing a gun at the camera. The dishonest will disregard the gas station video as some type of smear campaign. That leaves a smaller minority of us that are intelligent enough to dissect what actually took place here.

There may have been a criminal involved. Perhaps a physical altercation. Maybe even a police officer using excessive force. However, it wasn't the wisest move to put it on children to decipher who is who when the media doesn't even have it straight yet. About the only thing you can achieve from this activity is sprouting a seed of racism in one or more of these kids.

I see where you're coming from, and I am compelled to agree, even if it means I have to back off of my original position.  On facebook, where people I know are reading from their computers, I haven't commented on this incident at all, even though it's in my hometown.  Why?  For the exact same reason that you have used to explain your position on this; we don't know what really happened and may never know.

From the start, I've known that more and more things are going to come out about this.  New developments and breaks in the case; brand new incidents related to what happened and days of rioting that could go in all sorts of directions.  I didn't want to get caught establishing a position that would cast me in a permanent mold in the minds of others before I had decided where I truly stand on all of this.  That's why I've commented here.  That's always the reason why I release my silly antics here.

Edited by Megasoup, 21 August 2014 - 11:29 PM.

• cashfl0w likes this
Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#6 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

New World Order

• Free
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

I see where you're coming from, and I am compelled to agree, even if it means I have to back off of my original position.  On facebook, where people I know are reading from their computers, I haven't commented on this incident at all, even though it's in my hometown.  Why?  For the exact same reason that you have used to explain your position on this; we don't know what really happened and may never know.

From the start, I've known that more and more things are going to come out about this.  New developments and breaks in the case; brand new incidents related to what happened and days of rioting that could go in all sorts of directions.  I didn't want to get caught establishing a position that would cast me in a permanent mold in the minds of others before I had decided where I truly stand on all of this.  That's why I've commented here.  That's always the reason why I release my silly antics here.

I wouldn't feel compelled to express my opinions on any of this either. Especially not if I lived in the St. Louis area. I want to know what the teacher thought they were going to conclude from all of this anyways. Was it an exercise in finding out who had racist parents? 

I was in sixth grade during the OJ Simpson trial. Who knows what kind of stupid opinions we would've spewed if we were asked to report on that... I guarantee most of us would've said OJ was innocent, when as adults, we certainly know better.

(PS: I've dated two different elementary school teachers. Without going into deep details, I've seen them do lots of things that I wouldn't especially want my kid's school teachers to be doing... if ya know what I mean. Moral to the story: School teachers don't always make the best decisions.)

• Megasoup and -richard like this

The P4P #1 in forum betting.

Betting record: 32-1, 2 NC     ·    Active bets: 3-0

***Next Best Thing season one champion***

53069298-e01b-4e42-b52f-e5f3a54e5478_zps

Lmao cashflow took his soul, literally.

#7 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 17,590 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

Have a kid in 6th grade. Any teacher doing that needs to get a new job.