#1 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Sea plankton 'found living outside International Space Station'

Russian cosmonauts claim to have discovered tiny marine creatures thriving in zero-gravity on the outside of the International Space Station -

Sea plankton has been discovered living on the outside of the International Space Station, Russian cosmonauts have claimed.

Scientists on board the ISS are reported to have discovered living organisms when taking samples from windows.
Head of the Russian ISS orbital mission Vladimir Solovyev said the results of the experiment “are absolutely unique”.
Solovyev told the Russian Itar-Tass news agency that the tiny marine life-forms were not native to the launch site in Kazakhstan.
“Plankton in these stages of development could be found on the surface of the oceans,” he said.

“This is not typical for Baikonur [in Kazakhstan]. It means that there are some uplifting air currents which reach the station and settle on its surface.”
However NASA say they are in the dark about the find.
“As far as we're concerned, we haven't heard any official reports from our Roscosmos colleagues that they've found sea plankton," Nasa spokesperson Dan Huot told Space.com.
Although Mr Huot confirmed that Russian cosmonauts had been taking samples from the windows on their side of the ISS, he claimed they were only looking for “residues that can build up on the visually sensitive elements".
“What they’re actually looking for is residues that can build up on the visually sensitive elements, like windows, as well as just the hull of the ship itself that will build up whenever they do thruster firings for things like re-boosts.
“That’s what they were taking samples for.I don't know where all the sea plankton talk is coming from,” Mr Huot added.

Although the reports are unconfirmed, microbes are known to live in hostile environments and may be able to survive in freezing temperatures and zero gravity.
A type of microscopic invertebrate known as a tardigrade has survived the vaccum of space for 10 days.
Research published this week has suggested that microbes can live half a mile beneath the ice in Antarctica, without access to sun or fresh air.
NASA scientists have confirmed that it’s possible the sea plankton could have hitched a ride from Earth when the space station modules were launched.
It is believed the discovery was made during a routine spacewalk by Russian cosmonauts Olek Artemyev and Alexander Skvortsov.
The surface of the ISS is heavily polluted due to engines from delivery spacecrafts and other factors.
Crew members have therefore initiated a cleanup operation to put the illuminators in order.
The assembly of the International Space Station began in 1998. Since then it has spent nearly 6,000 days in Earth orbit.

russian_cosmonaut__3009645b.jpg

Edited by Bezerker101, 21 August 2014 - 06:00 PM.

• FINISHxHIM, TheHNIC and -richard like this

#2 -richard

-richard
  • Free
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

WTF?   how is this even possible? amazing if real

• Bezerker101, TheHNIC and fonzob1 like this

hagVWY.jpg

#3 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

What would Carl Sagan theorize if in fact the claim is true ?

Carl-Sagan-Young.jpg

• TheHNIC and -richard like this

#4 -richard

-richard
  • Free
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

What would Carl Sagan theorize if in fact the claim is true ?

Carl-Sagan-Young.jpg

i will now go read some of his words, he would have loved this

• Bezerker101 and TheHNIC like this

hagVWY.jpg

#5 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

WTF?   how is this even possible? amazing if real

my first thoughts are, will the Russians share the data - it is an international venture...

& the Russians are going to look rather silly if this is bs .

1395060759_5B33E046-4473-420D-80CD-2C32E

• juice64011, FINISHxHIM, TheHNIC and 1 other like this

#6 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

i will now go read some of his words, he would have loved this

the story only caught my eye because I've been watching Cosmos on dvd

for the last week lol ... my wife says I've been analyzing too much lately :-(

• FINISHxHIM, TheHNIC, -richard and 1 other like this

#7 TheHNIC

TheHNIC

Head ***** In Charge

• Free
  • 2,742 posts
  • LocationNiger, Africa

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

the story only caught my eye because I've been watching Cosmos on dvd

for the last week lol ... my wife says I've been analyzing too much lately :-(

clearly she isn't spending enough time making sandwich's

• juice64011, Eclipse76, sobercorrupTRT and 4 others like this
This^.

#8 FINISHxHIM

FINISHxHIM
  • Free
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

We're not alone. Sea plankton is only the beginning.

• Bezerker101 likes this

***UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 CHAMPION***
tumblr_mrqxjg3n9q1qhndw9o1_500.gif

beaa3212-481f-4d25-a00e-9568e1c73f7b_zps

#9 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

TC

• Free
  • 5,808 posts
  • LocationGOATstralia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

This is pretty crazy if its verified, and raises huge questions and possibilities. Not only regarding the environments that life with origins from Earth can survive in, but also the increasing potential for panspermia as a viable theory.

It also shows that we have to be extremely careful in future voyages off planet as its impossible to fully sterilize anything we send, and its highly likely we will inadvertantly introduce multiple lifeforms wherever we go.
  • Eclipse76, TwennyFo, Bezerker101 and 3 others like this

XBa2AkD.gif

#10 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

I'm sure the scientists at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) will be focusing on whether this sea plankton is terrestrial or extraterrestrial . Did it hitch a ride on

a Russian Soyuz craft in which case Roskosmos would claim the plankton or was it a U.S.space shuttle that provided the transfer in which case the Ruskies could be ripping off our sea plankton ?

Or the most intriguing theorization would be that it was carried here on interstellar winds from another galaxy .The latter would suggest the possible presence of a microbial bacteria unfamiliar to the human immune system .

Recently it was discovered that microbes called cyanobacteria survived attached to the space station's exterior for 553 days (that's one & a half yrs in a near vacuum) and this same bacteria exists a half mile down under the frozen ice of Antarctica . Imagine the incredible resilience of a bacteria from another universe, a bacteria on steroids that resists any type of known immunization that we employ, .. a bacteria obsessed with destroying the human race as we know it today, a microbial BFH (Bacteria From Hell) - it simply rattles my inner-core to think that all of humanity is in the hands of Russian scientists that basically work for Vladimir Putin, we could all be enslaved by alien sea plankton .. how utterly embarrassing -

article-2103422-11CF4A5B000005DC-617_634

Edited by Bezerker101, 22 August 2014 - 04:32 AM.

• amunera, FINISHxHIM and -richard like this

#11 FINISHxHIM

FINISHxHIM
  • Free
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

I'm sure the scientists at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) will be focusing on whether this sea plankton is terrestrial or extraterrestrial . Did it hitch a ride on

a Russian Soyuz craft in which case Roskosmos would claim the plankton or was it a U.S.space shuttle that provided the transfer in which case the Ruskies could be ripping off our sea plankton ?

Or the most intriguing theorization would be that it was carried here on interstellar winds from another galaxy .The latter would suggest the possible presence of a microbial bacteria unfamiliar to the human immune system .

Recently it was discovered that microbes called cyanobacteria survived attached to the space station's exterior for 553 days (that's one & a half yrs in a near vacuum) and this same bacteria exists a half mile down under the frozen ice of Antarctica . Imagine the incredible resilience of a bacteria from another universe, a bacteria on steroids that resists any type of known immunization that we employ, .. a bacteria obsessed with destroying the human race as we know it today, a microbial BFH (Bacteria From Hell) - it simply rattles my inner-core to think that all of humanity is in the hands of Russian scientists that basically work for Vladimir Putin, we could all be enslaved by alien sea plankton .. how utterly embarrassing -

article-2103422-11CF4A5B000005DC-617_634

A Picture of Ronda? Hmm, Maybe the Cosmonauts just saw the reflection of Ronda's Ice bucket challenge video on the space station. This is a HOAX.

• Bezerker101 likes this

***UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 CHAMPION***
tumblr_mrqxjg3n9q1qhndw9o1_500.gif

beaa3212-481f-4d25-a00e-9568e1c73f7b_zps

#12 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

A Picture of Ronda? Hmm, Maybe the Cosmonauts just saw the reflection of Ronda's Ice bucket challenge video on the space station. This is a HOAX.

I just noticed the topic moderation tab w/ options , I've never seen that on any forum lol ...

so I can basically flame the **** out of someone's inane opinion, lock the the thread & have

the last feckin' word - noice

• TwennyFo and -richard like this

#13 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

If I had to have a female mma fighter plastered outside the window of my space station,

I guess it would be Kyra Gracie or Carano, Rousy has too many feckin' male hormones

goin on - ... I didn't know Gina played chess

tp45IfId.gif

Edited by Bezerker101, 22 August 2014 - 06:17 AM.

• FINISHxHIM and -richard like this

#14 juice64011

juice64011
  • Free
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:39 AM

If I had to have a female mma fighter plastered outside the window of my space station,

I guess it would be Kyra Gracie or Carano, Rousy has too many feckin' male hormones

goin on - ... I didn't know Gina played chess

tp45IfId.gif

The Karate Hottie>all of those.

• Bezerker101 and -richard like this

MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion
Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion

#15 sobercorrupTRT

sobercorrupTRT

MMA Visionary

• Moderators
  • 27,068 posts
  • LocationSober, Cuban

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

I just noticed the topic moderation tab w/ options , I've never seen that on any forum lol ...

so I can basically flame the **** out of someone's inane opinion, lock the the thread & have

the last feckin' word - noice

wait what? a thread starter has the moderation tools for their thread?

< -- click one

#16 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

I always thought she looked like Tila Tequila Jr, but I wouldn't kick her out of my space station,

and it's apples & oranges being that Carano is a registered MILF now -

method=get&s=michelle2.jpg

• -richard likes this

#17 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

wait what? a thread starter has the moderation tools for their thread?

Topic Moderation · Back to Outside the UFC · Next Unread Topic

#18 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

I wonder if exposing that tab allows anybody to lock my plankton thread, .. sobre ?

• -richard likes this

#19 juice64011

juice64011
  • Free
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

No we can't lock it. It brought me to the top of the page but the button isn't there.

Edited by juice64011, 22 August 2014 - 07:09 AM.

• Bezerker101 likes this

#20 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

No we can't lock it. It brought me to the top of the page but the button isn't there.

do the threads you've started have the topic moderation option ?

#21 juice64011

juice64011
  • Free
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

do the threads you've started have the topic moderation option ?

Yeah I can lock them.

#22 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Yeah I can lock them.

we have the power, whether we use it for good or evil is yet to be determined !

• juice64011 and -richard like this

#23 -richard

-richard
  • Free
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

hagVWY.jpg

#24 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

ok, sorry for going off-topic there,  I was power-tripping on the topic moderation tab thing,

... I was voicing my concern over the Russians experimenting with the ISS sea plankton >

As any geomicrobiologists worth his salt will tell you, when cyanobacteria is faced with an adverse environment, say outer space, they exude a gel-like covering -- a biopolymer -- that protects them from drying out . Now obviously should they find themselves on the dark side of a meteorite, they would not be able to photosynthesize and release the bacterial endospores that become airbourne and inhaleable by humans . But if not properly contained under laboratory conditions, these spores could very easily escape into the air we breathe everyday . I'm not gonna pull any punches here, for godz sake, look how feckin' long it took them to contain Chernobyl ?

Edited by Bezerker101, 22 August 2014 - 08:28 AM.

• TwennyFo, TigerChamp and -richard like this

#25 Jason_H.

Jason_H.
  • Free
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

I would like to play chess with Gina.  

• Bezerker101 likes this

#26 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free