storm22

My official car thread

BMWs, bruh. The ultimate driving machine. No American or Asian car has felt as smooth as my two little Bimmers.

all german cars are smooth, Audi has BMW beat on handling.  unless were talking a 100,000 BMW vs a 30,000 base model Audi.

• Like 3

all german cars are smooth, Audi has BMW beat on handling.  unless were talking a 100,000 BMW vs a 30,000 base model Audi.

Unfortunately, I've yet to drive an Audi. :(

• Like 1

Those and the Evos handle amazing. They're a lot of fun to drive.

i've never driven one, **** i wasn't even aware they still made them

i just looked up the 2015's and i got to say they are kind of ugly

they're badass tho

What about a Subaru WRX?  Those handle like a dream

I've driven a heck of a lot of Audi's and Bimmers over my time (from when i was our company's fleet manager).  I'm pretty sure that in the hands of a pro, the Beemers would get round a track quicker.  But in the hands of a rank amateur like me, the 4wd Audis felt more re-assuring.

One Christmas i ended up with both a BMW 535d and Audi A5 3.0TDi on my drive.  Ended up driving the Audi 90% of the time, it was just more fun (and looked cooler)

All that said, the three best handling cars I've ever driven were my Nissan 200, VW Golf R32 and a Scoobie WRX.  Those things just stick like glue whatever the surface.

Missus' MX5 is not far off mind...

• Like 1

I've driven a heck of a lot of Audi's and Bimmers over my time (from when i was our company's fleet manager).  I'm pretty sure that in the hands of a pro, the Beemers would get round a track quicker.  But in the hands of a rank amateur like me, the 4wd Audis felt more re-assuring.

One Christmas i ended up with both a BMW 535d and Audi A5 3.0TDi on my drive.  Ended up driving the Audi 90% of the time, it was just more fun (and looked cooler)

All that said, the three best handling cars I've ever driven were my Nissan 200, VW Golf R32 and a Scoobie WRX.  Those things just stick like glue whatever the surface.

Missus' MX5 is not far off mind...

i'm far from a professional, and while the higher end BMW's are faster, they just don't maneuver like them Audi's.  I guess on a track the difference would be minimal.

and yeah those Subaru WRX's handle even better.

Do you guys get the BBC programme Top Gear? They have a test track they take cars round, and typically Beemers are faster because of their RWD balance.  The test-driver is an ex-F1 test driver mind, so he's wringing the absolute best out of them.

I agree in every day driving though that 4wd Audis handle better than Beemers.

Beemers are also comical in the snow...we had a real heavy dump about 5 years ago and the roads were littered with abandoned 1-series.  My trusty Volvo ploughed through it all though.

• Like 3

Do you guys get the BBC programme Top Gear? They have a test track they take cars round, and typically Beemers are faster because of their RWD balance.  The test-driver is an ex-F1 test driver mind, so he's wringing the absolute best out of them.

Beemers are also comical in the snow...we had a real heavy dump about 5 years ago and the roads were littered with abandoned 1-series.  My trusty Volvo ploughed through it all though.

i wasn't aware it was BBC programming, I never saw Rumble on the show.

yeah as an Audi enthusiast i watch those online all the time.

Edited by HNIC_
  • Like 4

Have you ever seen the horrible Americanized version of Top Gear? 

Jeremy Clarkson is one of my favorite people in the world.  I laugh so hard at his oafish antics.  

• Like 1

i've never driven one, **** i wasn't even aware they still made them

i just looked up the 2015's and i got to say they are kind of ugly

they're badass tho

Yeah the new ones are fugly - In fact all the Mitsubishis out right now are fugly.  

I would still give a left nut for an Evo 8 or 9

• Like 2

Jeremy Clarkson is one of my favorite people in the world.  I laugh so hard at his oafish antics.  

He's a legend.  Yeah, there's a USA and an Aussie version.  They kind of miss the point that it's basically the Clarkson show.

New series started last night over here.  Still as good as ever - i think Top Gear is one of our top exports these days.

• Like 1

He's a legend.  Yeah, there's a USA and an Aussie version.  They kind of miss the point that it's basically the Clarkson show.

New series started last night over here.  Still as good as ever - i think Top Gear is one of our top exports these days.

Whenever I think of Oaf I think of Clarkson bodying himself on the moped and spinning down the road. 

• Like 2

Yeah the new ones are fugly - In fact all the Mitsubishis out right now are fugly.  

I would still give a left nut for an Evo 8 or 9

lol you're right, it isn't just the evo.  every one of there cars are asstastic

Whenever I think of Oaf I think of Clarkson bodying himself on the moped and spinning down the road. 

The TG specials are some of my favourite "films" let alone just car shows.  The one where they cross the Andes, the one where they find the source of the Nile and the one where they cross Botswana are all stonkers.

If we're talking crazy Japanese cars, the Nissan GT-R has to be somewhere on everyone's wish-list?

• Like 1

The TG specials are some of my favourite "films" let alone just car shows.  The one where they cross the Andes, the one where they find the source of the Nile and the one where they cross Botswana are all stonkers.

If we're talking crazy Japanese cars, the Nissan GT-R has to be somewhere on everyone's wish-list?

A GT-R is probably pretty close to my dream car.  There are 2-3 near me and everytime I see them I drool.

I was looking around this weekend for a place that would rent one to me.  Couldn't find one. 

• Like 2

A GT-R is probably pretty close to my dream car.  There are 2-3 near me and everytime I see them I drool.

I was looking around this weekend for a place that would rent one to me.  Couldn't find one. 

I was skimming through Evo magazine today and they had one in matt grey that they've tuned to 710 BHP.  That would do me nicely.

Would prefer an Aston Martin DB9 though.

• Like 1

I was skimming through Evo magazine today and they had one in matt grey that they've tuned to 710 BHP.  That would do me nicely.

Would prefer an Aston Martin DB9 though.

I wonder if there's any reliability in Evos tuned that high.   I had a 1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (Basically an Eclipse) that I put a bigger turbo on that was overboosting because I didn't install a wastegate.  I just started grenading transmissions let and right.  Was the most fun car I've ever owned tho.  Launched quite hard.  

I've always wanted on of these.  The 944 Turbo.  

1986-Porsche-944-Turbo-Cup.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if there's any reliability in Evos tuned that high.   I had a 1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (Basically an Eclipse) that I put a bigger turbo on that was overboosting because I didn't install a wastegate.  I just started grenading transmissions let and right.  Was the most fun car I've ever owned tho.  Launched quite hard.  

I've always wanted on of these.  The 944 Turbo.  

1986-Porsche-944-Turbo-Cup.jpg

Sorry, to clarify, i was reading Evo (the magazine) and they had a GT-R tuned up to 710 BHP - all done by Nissan, so i'm guessing it was legit.

Beautiful cars the 944.  If i went classic, it would be hard to look past these.

280px-1963_Jaguar_XK-E_Roadster.jpg

Sorry, to clarify, i was reading Evo (the magazine) and they had a GT-R tuned up to 710 BHP - all done by Nissan, so i'm guessing it was legit.

Beautiful cars the 944.  If i went classic, it would be hard to look past these.

280px-1963_Jaguar_XK-E_Roadster.jpg

oh lol oops.  Yeah man have you ever seen videos of the GTR Alphas? 

• Like 1

Clarkson is p5p son! Also, American Top Gear is horrible. I consider Roadkill to be the true American version of Top Gear. If you've never seen it, check it out. It's on the Motor Trend channel on YouTube. Two of the guys from Hot Rod magazine host it, Freiburger and Finnegan. Here's an episode where they pretty much win at life. They drive Finnegan's '55 Chevy gasser with a Hilborn EFI stack injected 426 (now 528 c.i.d.) Hemi cross country. 

Edited by wesleywells1
  • Like 3

That's total BS. BMW are renown for having some of the best handing cars. Just like every revewer in the world says.

Audi's have four wheel drive and a bucket load of under steer.  

Clarkson is p5p son! Also, American Top Gear is horrible. I consider Roadkill to be the true American version of Top Gear. If you've never seen it, check it out. It's on the Motor Trend channel on YouTube. Two of the guys from Hot Rod magazine host it, Freiburger and Finnegan. Here's an episode where they pretty much win at life. They drive Finnegan's '55 Chevy gasser with a Hilborn EFI stack injected 426 (now 528 c.i.d.) Hemi cross country. 

I saw that car for the first time yesterday. It smoked a hellcat. Its so awesome.

And yes, Clarkson is GOAT. If you like a car review Search for Chris Harris. Personally I think he is the best reviewer on the planet. I also really like Carlos Lago from the Motor Trend network. The best Yank reviewer around. 

• Like 1

hmm I'll have to check this out.

I got home today and turned on the TV and there's a Top Gear marathon or something on BBC America

• Like 2

Dude don't even get me started on Roadkill LoL

They also do Hot Rod Garage which is really good. They just posted the new episode a few days ago where they swapped an LS into Finnegan's Wife's Elky

• Like 1

You'd be surprised at the difference a set of good winter tires can do. Anyone that owns a sports car and plans to drive during the winter, should also have a set of winter tires for that snowy weather.

• Like 2

Cheers man, will check it out. Looks promising!

That's total BS. BMW are renown for having some of the best handing cars. Just like every revewer in the world says.

Audi's have four wheel drive and a bucket load of under steer.  

Yes, but on a track or in the hands of a pro.  IRL, i'm pretty sure you can get nearer the limit in a 4wd Audi than a Beemer.

• Like 2

Dude don't even get me started on Roadkill LoL

They also do Hot Rod Garage which is really good. They just posted the new episode a few days ago where they swapped an LS into Finnegan's Wife's Elky

Yeah, I saw the Elco LS swap. That car actually handles really well for what it is. It would surprise the hell out of some people in much more expensive cars. New Roadkill is Feb. 7!

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw the Elco LS swap. That car actually handles really well for what it is. It would surprise the hell out of some people in much more expensive cars. New Roadkill is Feb. 7!

Yup! Can't wait!!

• Like 1

Also did you watch the Go cart episode with the vette Wes? LoL too ****ing good

I actually still have the HotRod mag with the original Vette Hack story in it that they talk about at the beginning of the episode

I've been a subscriber to HotRod Mag since I was 12. My father bought me my very first subscription to it. I still have every single mag since 93 LoL my wife wants me to get rid of them all but I refuse. That is my library. I've also been a subscriber to Car Craft since 2000 so my collection of magazines is pretty damn big

The team of Finnegan and Freiburger way to stronk. Would love to do Power Tour one year, and Drag Week is one of my favorite events I look forward to every year since they've been streaming it the last 3

• Like 1

Also did you watch the Go cart episode with the vette Wes? LoL too **** good

I actually still have the HotRod mag with the original Vette Hack story in it that they talk about at the beginning of the episode

I've been a subscriber to HotRod Mag since I was 12. My father bought me my very first subscription to it. I still have every single mag since 93 LoL my wife wants me to get rid of them all but I refuse. That is my library. I've also been a subscriber to Car Craft since 2000 so my collection of magazines is pretty damn big

The team of Finnegan and Freiburger way to stronk. Would love to do Power Tour one year, and Drag Week is one of my favorite events I look forward to every year since they've been streaming it the last 3

Ha ha! You have me beat. I was 13 when I got my subscription. I used to ride my bike to the local library and read the new issue every month before I was a subscriber. They had 10+ years of back issues too and they would let you check out 2 at a time. I got through most of them in a single summer. 

One of the things on my bucket list is to do the Power Tour long haul. I might try to do at least one leg of the tour either this year or next. 

'Vette cart too stronk. Makes me want to go buy a trashed mid-80s Corvette and hack it to pieces lol. Finnegan and Freiburger are p5p!

Did you see this week's Street Outlaws where Jeff Lutz tried to get on the list with his '57 Chevy? That thing is a beast on the track and won the Unlimited class at Drag Week this year. There was an interview in Hot Rod a year or two ago with Big Chief and Murder Nova where they said they might try Drag Week pretty soon. Maybe Lutz is helping them get ready? They also said the list on the show isn't the real list. Some of the stuff on the show is scripted but the racing is legit, and obviously Discovery pays to have the roads shut down when they race. Interesting read.

• Like 1

It's weird, I was in to exotics when I was real young and then imports in high school.  Then I got into V8s and power adders in domestics. 

• Like 2

It's weird, I was in to exotics when I was real young and then imports in high school.  Then I got into V8s and power adders in domestics. 

I went through a phase where I really wanted a '98 Eclipse GSX. AWD + turbo = awesome. Didn't you say you had the Eagle Talon version of that car? A girl I went to high school with had a brand new '97 3000GT VR4. That thing was awesome!

I went through a phase where I really wanted a '98 Eclipse GSX. AWD + turbo = awesome. Didn't you say you had the Eagle Talon version of that car? A girl I went to high school with had a brand new '97 3000GT VR4. That thing was awesome!

3000GT is one of the hardest cars to obtain, and yeah they are awesome

eagle talons were knock offs like the dodge stealth

• Like 2

Yeah I had a 1993 Talon with a built motor and a 20g turbo.  I was running a 3" downpipe with open exhaust.  I blew it up before I put a wastegate on there and it would boost creep like hell.  

I had a 1998 3000GT Black.  First car I ever financed.  It was just the SL but it was pretty fun.  

• Like 1

3000GT is one of the hardest cars to obtain, and yeah they are awesome

eagle talons were knock offs like the dodge stealth

Don't forget the Plymouth Laser 

• Like 2

I just purchased one of these today

2012-subaru-impreza-sedan-62.jpg

I actually wanted the hatch but was able to get a good deal on the sedan in the s model, so it has all the extras. I should pick it up this monday.

edit. LoL at this pic

• Like 3

I just purchased one of these today

2012-subaru-impreza-sedan-62.jpg

I actually wanted the hatch but was able to get a good deal on the sedan in the s model, so it has all the extras. I should pick it up this monday.

edit. LoL at this pic

Reem likey

• Like 1