storm22

My official car thread

ran my neighbor the other night who has a Coyote F150 truck...just to test the car's new dyno tune...car left like it was PISSED OFF! 

Ran great, felt great...need to get my fake go-pro up and going again and make a video.

Edited by SVTContour98
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 2:43 AM, SVTContour98 said:

No, never proceeded b/c my current motor ended up being fine....and from the looks of it, it would be cheaper and make more power to just build my 4.6 rather than a 5.4

ahh nice, I gotta say your car sounded damn nice in one of those videos you uploaded way back

• Like 1

Trouble! 

Turns out I'm actually retarded. 

Doing the cam swap in my car currently, I pulled an all nighter trying to get it done. Note to self: do not work on car borderline passing out... 

Ended up using a single bolt cam which the timing cover didn't clear and I didn't check it for clearance because tired / in a rush / retarded. The cam bold grinded out some of the inside of the timing cover and metal shavings etc were all through the timing chain and cogs etc. Changed the oil three times over the course of the events in this entire post and oil looks clean so seems like there's minimal shards that worked their way down into the pan.

Also complete lack of oil pressure. So now I'm going through fixing one thing at a time from cheapest to most expensive.

Quickly pulled the oil pump off and had to replace the oring and reshim/reprime the pump but a bunch of shards/filings etc worked it's way into the pump and did a little bit of damage to the gears. Not the gear lobes but the side of it that seals against the face of the pump. So I cleaned it all out and they seem to mesh together well as they should. Did a flush hoping the oil filter caught everything... but that location there's pretty much direct access to the bottom end so all I can do is hope nothing worked it's way upwards from the oil pan and only went through the pump. Grinded the inside of the timing cover for clearance (away from the car) and put it all together, reusing the oil pump. 

Oil pressure! 

Car warms up... no oil pressure. Pull it apart again to replace the cam retaining plate hoping the gasket on that just needs replacing. 

Not fixed. 

Just put thicker oil in hoping to create some resistance to any potential internal leaks in the oil pump but it's a band aid fix, and oil pressure still drops just not as much or as fast. 

I originally reused the DOD valley cover and plugged off the oil tower holes. Now my next move is to replace that valley cover as I've heard they can sometimes be prone to oil pressure problems. I'm also going to order a new oil pump and fingers crossed I haven't ruined any bearings. Those are my last two options and if the oil pressure problem is not sorted then I'm goign to have to pull the entire engine out and do a full strip down inspection.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, sobercuban said:

Christ :( Race car life

The only redeeming factor is that so far I’ve only spent about $300au so I can take it in my stride 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 8:34 PM, Enigma_Machine said:

Trouble! 

Turns out I'm actually retarded. 

Doing the cam swap in my car currently, I pulled an all nighter trying to get it done. Note to self: do not work on car borderline passing out... 

Ended up using a single bolt cam which the timing cover didn't clear and I didn't check it for clearance because tired / in a rush / retarded. The cam bold grinded out some of the inside of the timing cover and metal shavings etc were all through the timing chain and cogs etc. Changed the oil three times over the course of the events in this entire post and oil looks clean so seems like there's minimal shards that worked their way down into the pan.

Also complete lack of oil pressure. So now I'm going through fixing one thing at a time from cheapest to most expensive.

Quickly pulled the oil pump off and had to replace the oring and reshim/reprime the pump but a bunch of shards/filings etc worked it's way into the pump and did a little bit of damage to the gears. Not the gear lobes but the side of it that seals against the face of the pump. So I cleaned it all out and they seem to mesh together well as they should. Did a flush hoping the oil filter caught everything... but that location there's pretty much direct access to the bottom end so all I can do is hope nothing worked it's way upwards from the oil pan and only went through the pump. Grinded the inside of the timing cover for clearance (away from the car) and put it all together, reusing the oil pump. 

Oil pressure! 

Car warms up... no oil pressure. Pull it apart again to replace the cam retaining plate hoping the gasket on that just needs replacing. 

Not fixed. 

Just put thicker oil in hoping to create some resistance to any potential internal leaks in the oil pump but it's a band aid fix, and oil pressure still drops just not as much or as fast. 

I originally reused the DOD valley cover and plugged off the oil tower holes. Now my next move is to replace that valley cover as I've heard they can sometimes be prone to oil pressure problems. I'm also going to order a new oil pump and fingers crossed I haven't ruined any bearings. Those are my last two options and if the oil pressure problem is not sorted then I'm goign to have to pull the entire engine out and do a full strip down inspection.

wow...the thing of nightmares right there!  Keep us posted.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SVTContour98 said:

if bitcoin does what some predict...this will be mine: Oxford White 03/04 Cobra

00A0A_a34XJyfVEsQ_1200x900.jpg

Beautiful

I've always wanted to make a Terminator with some twins on it.  I like supercharger whine, but turbos spooling sound so much better.  Almost bought on in '06 back when I actually had that kind of money.  Best looking mustang from that generation and it's not even close.  

• Like 1

yo sobes, have you ever noticed in any of my videos on YT that the car sometimes sounds like it's struggling and all of a sudden takes off? Especially on my last video against this r33 skyline, going into 2nd gear:

It's been an ongoing problem for about a year that's been getting progressively worse.

I've got the car drivable but waiting for a replacement oil pump, so yesterday it I'm driving around just cruising at 70kmh and it just cuts out completely.. no rpm's on the dash. Comes up with an error code crank angle sensor...

I have fresh all new sensors etc hoping to solve the issue but it's still there. I think it's either the pcm or the wiring harness. Fingers crossed it's just the wiring harness. If it's the pcm I'm only going to use it for accessories and running a holley efi system to control the motor, cos this is some seriously dumb **** keeping me sidelined. I've skipped out on about a dozen track days now, and I've wanted to start weekly YT vids etc for quite a while but who the **** wants to see vids of some idiot who's car doesn't even run! 

chit's starting to piss me off! 

Although, when I do get it up and running I'm going to drive the wheels off it!

• Like 3

You don't think it's something ignition related do you? plug wires? when the Mustang does that plug wires are the first thing I check.  Hopefully it's not some massive electrical issue, I've sold cars off before rather than deal with their electrical gremlins.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sobercuban said:

You don't think it's something ignition related do you? plug wires? when the Mustang does that plug wires are the first thing I check.  Hopefully it's not some massive electrical issue, I've sold cars off before rather than deal with their electrical gremlins.  

Nah I went through and checked everything simple and worked my way up, started with new plugs, leads, fuel filter... then potentially problematic sensors, 

Fuel maintains pressure, plugs sparking, 

definitely something wrong with the control of the vehicle, either computer or wiring. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 5:52 PM, Enigma_Machine said:

Nah I went through and checked everything simple and worked my way up, started with new plugs, leads, fuel filter... then potentially problematic sensors, 

Fuel maintains pressure, plugs sparking, 

definitely something wrong with the control of the vehicle, either computer or wiring. 

yeah i was thinking computer or wiring

On 7/13/2019 at 2:02 AM, Enigma_Machine said:

yo sobes, have you ever noticed in any of my videos on YT that the car sometimes sounds like it's struggling and all of a sudden takes off? Especially on my last video against this r33 skyline, going into 2nd gear:

It's been an ongoing problem for about a year that's been getting progressively worse.

I've got the car drivable but waiting for a replacement oil pump, so yesterday it I'm driving around just cruising at 70kmh and it just cuts out completely.. no rpm's on the dash. Comes up with an error code crank angle sensor...

I have fresh all new sensors etc hoping to solve the issue but it's still there. I think it's either the pcm or the wiring harness. Fingers crossed it's just the wiring harness. If it's the pcm I'm only going to use it for accessories and running a holley efi system to control the motor, cos this is some seriously dumb **** keeping me sidelined. I've skipped out on about a dozen track days now, and I've wanted to start weekly YT vids etc for quite a while but who the **** wants to see vids of some idiot who's car doesn't even run! 

chit's starting to piss me off! 

Although, when I do get it up and running I'm going to drive the wheels off it!

this has the potential to be another car fire in the making

it was nice knowing you m8

Called out a young guy in my neighborhood yesterday, ok didn't really call him out, we are buddies and I ran into him....he has a M6 2014 coyote...think midpipe, catback, cold air...so trying to lineup a dig race with him...he should pass me up at some point lol...but I'm hoping to get out on him until around 100mph...in the 1/4, i should be somewhere around 105-106mph trap...think the coyote should be somewhere around 109-111mph.

• Like 3